2021 Summer Olympics (Tokyo)

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Fecking field Hockey. Last night some big field hockey guy was on TV saying our male field hockey team winning the Euro's is masking the fact they're secretly quite shit.

Maybe they can show Louis van Gaal that particular brand of shit.
:lol:
Tbf, he's not totally wrong since the Euros has historically been a two teams festival between Germany and the Netherlands with recently Belgium up there as well, so you had to perform well in just 1-2 games to win it. It's also the least important international trophy after Olympia, world championship and champions trophy.

It makes me really sad that with 1.4 billion population, we Indians can't even win 1 gold :( .
You shouldn't have given up your dominance in field hockey! Such a force in the mid 19th century. Tbf it's also unlucky that cricket is not Olympic with the majority of the country focusing on that sport exclusively.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
:lol:
Tbf, he's not totally wrong since the Euros has historically been a two teams festival between Germany and the Netherlands with recently Belgium up there as well, so you had to perform well in just 1-2 games to win it. It's also the least important international trophy after Olympia, world championship and champions trophy.
Ah fair enough. I know almost nothing about field hockey honestly. I think it's mostly our ladies that are really good.

Suedesi

Squash still not Olympic sport yet ribbon twirling is.
Old farts at Olympic Committee only care about attracting young viewers.

Last edited:

Cal?

CR7 fan

Hong Kong won their 2nd ever Olympic gold today, the 1st one was back in 1996 and God save the Queen was played.

This happened when the PRC national anthem was played. :D

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
This evening / morning in the womens' triatholon, it's my country's first realistic chance of a medal in my life. There really is something amazing about the Olympics, and despite all the weirdness of this particular one, the pride in the athletes is unlike anything else.

mitChley

Philippines got their first ever gold, in the women's 55kg weightlifting. They beat China who only sent athletes they thought were guaranteed a gold (leaving lifters like Tian Tao out), so bit of egg on their face.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
I think this boils down largely to the fact that cricket is really the only sport Indians care about.
But you only have to find 11 out of 1.4 billion. It's remarkable them or China haven't broken through.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
But you only have to find 11 out of 1.4 billion. It's remarkable them or China haven't broken through.
Can’t really say that about China… they are very much in contention with the US on medals quite frequently. And actually are quite successful in a lot of events which are expanding.

India, though, yeah mathematically it sounds simple but it’s not easy. Remember China had the Beijing games to really put the Olympics on the map for them. India hasn’t had that. And without any real role models in most Olympic events, it’s actually not that much of a surprise.

United Hobbit

Been watching the women's skateboarding, interesting to see more wearing helmets, I'm surprised none of the men did as its a very risky sport, and looks easy to fall back and smack your head

How come the men are getting 9s for their moves, but the woman 2s and 3s? I haven't got to the best trick section yet, but apparently 3s etc are good?

Agent Red

It'll be a late finish for this triathlon, so much water on the track they're all taking it easy trying not to fall

U99ted

So unlucky for Taylor-Brown to get a puncture on her bike, but has already gone from 5th to 3rd on the 10K, great performance.

Agent Red

So unlucky for Taylor-Brown to get a puncture on her bike, but has already gone from 5th to 3rd on the 10K, great performance.
Yeah absolutely dreadful luck. Really looks like she could have been in for the gold if that hadn't happened.

U99ted

Bermuda's first ever Olympic Gold (2nd ever medal) incoming, through Flora Duffy's dominant display on the 10K.

Agent Red

Run Flora!!!
Congratulations mate :) that was an imperious run from Duffy.

Super impressive from Taylor-Brown in those circumstances. A shame we couldn't see them go toe to toe at the end as think she would have put up a good fight, but really good to get silver from how far behind she was after the flat tyre.

Beachryan

Congratulations mate :) that was an imperious run from Duffy.

Super impressive from Taylor-Brown in those circumstances. A shame we couldn't see them go toe to toe at the end as think she would have put up a good fight, but really good to get silver from how far behind she was after the flat tyre.
Thanks! Genuinely rather emotional, just about holding it together. Didn't believe we'd ever get another medal, much less a gold!

Carolina Red

Staff
Looks like I’ll be waking up at 630 tomorrow morning to watch Simone Biles and the US women’s gymnastics team. Really hoping we can bounce back from a so-so qualifying to unseat the ROC team.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
Thanks! Genuinely rather emotional, just about holding it together. Didn't believe we'd ever get another medal, much less a gold!
Yeah, watching Flora win and the girl from Philippines was very emotional even though I'm not from those countries. The kid from Tunisia winning the 400 meter freestyle was also a nice surprise as swimming tends to be dominated by a handful of countries and is very hard and unlikely to have someone from an african country to even participate in the finals.

Pentagruel

The dutch team was completely overpowered (1-4 best odds to win the race) so everyone knew it was their duty to keep the breakaway in check and I assume that - without radios - half the Peleton just assumed they knew what was up and didnt bother to go to their team car to check for themselves. I wonder if the other half - the riders who were aware that Kieserhofer was still out there, ahead of the two other breakaway riders - lowkey deliberately kept them in the dark because they didn't want them to get gold. At least Longo Borghini, who won bronze, seemed quite amused in the post race interview.
Anyway, uncertainty how many riders are still ahead (especially with bigger breakaway groups, but that wasnt the case yesterday) happen even with race radios, just this Giro d'Italia Bernal won a stage with an hectic uphill ending where he didn't celebrate as a winner because he thought there were still some from the breakaway ahead. But here we had Kieserhofer in front solo for 40km+, no excuses at all for the Dutch team not be able to communicate that information.

And just today, big Dutch medal favorite in mountainbiking, Matthieu Van der Poul crashed because he didn't know that a ramp had been removed after their test runs. Everyone and the Dutch manager knew, but he didn't, so the communication shambles continue:nervous:. Looks like @KirkDuyt favorite sport, field hockey, has to get them some gold medals.
Completely agree that the communication is a shambles in the Dutch camp right now. Not been a good olympics for them thus far. The women’s road race is particularly galling though considering their incredible assortment of riches there.

Beachryan

Yeah, watching Flora win and the girl from Philippines was very emotional even though I'm not from those countries. The kid from Tunisia winning the 400 meter freestyle was also a nice surprise as swimming tends to be dominated by a handful of countries and is very hard and unlikely to have someone from an african country to even participate in the finals.
Like to think this () is legit, it's certainly what it was like watching Flora here, could hear people yelling all around the neighborhood.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Woooaahhh Gold and Silver for the GB boys in the 200m freestyle.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
Woooaahhh Gold and Silver for the GB boys in the 200m freestyle.
Gold and Silver now on the 100 backstroke for the Russian Olympic Committee or whatever name they're competing under after the pseudo ban. :lol:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Olds complaining about skateboarding are funny.
Skateboarding was a thing when I was young but it so isn't an Olympic sport. I don't mind the BMX stuff as much and snowboarding is a great winter Olympic sport. But what little of the Olympic skateboarding has been embarrassingly bad.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Australian swimming contributing in more than 1 way

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Can't wait for the fresh new sport of breakdancing in the next Olympics.