2021 Summer Olympics (Tokyo)

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Great gold there for Lee!

But a huge mention to Andrade - 3 (!) ACL knee constructions which is mad given her age, and to come back and get a silver when no Brazilian gymnast has ever got a medal on any apparatus let alone the all-round. And bar those step outs she would have gotten Gold.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
These gymnastics judges are blind, dumb and cnuts :houllier: :houllier:

How the feck Derwael's uneven bars routine only got an 8.5 in execution :houllier::houllier::houllier:

LDUred

Looked like Mallory might just break the GB Female gold duck this morning but not quite
Yeah, the women are not having the rub of the green on the whole. The rowers were edged out yesterday when a medal looked assured in two events. At least Mallory got something, even though it would have been disappointing to miss out on gold.

Looking forward to seeing Duncan Scott go again in the 200m. Hope that he can grab gold this time in the individual event.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Watching Hockey always makes me feel there is an incredible sport being held back by the traditions of the game. That comes from someone who only ever watches at the Olympics so no doubt I am missing a ton of nuance and appreciation of tactics. It is so staccato though, you see some moments of great skill and dexterity of ball manipulation but so many stoppages and little flow.
I feel like this too. Seems like a lot in the circle is semi random, someone smashes the ball, takes a deflection onto a foot, penalty corner.
100% get where you're coming from but trust me, holding onto traditions of the game is definitely not the problem. I think the hockey federation is one of the most rule change happy there is, I played the sport for 12 years in my youth and it's been 12 years since I stopped playing and they changed so much over the time trying to become more attractive for the audience. It's basically the opposite towards football on how experimental happy they are.

The problem is simply that the technical side and the pace is insanely tricky. The ball is so fast yet small and tough to handle with the sticks you automatically get a lot of fouls based on technical errors that are not down to physicality. And you can't make using the feet (even by accident) legal for example. So unlike other ball sports where fouls are down to physical fouls you just get a lot of interruptions for non-physical issues which makes the game - as you said - very staccato. So I don't think it will ever become popular for a wider audience, mainly because it's also too fast.

Carolina Red

Staff
Did they really mention the fairness thing?
This is what they said in 2019 at Worlds in Stuttgart

“In assigning values to the new elements, the WTC takes into consideration many different aspects; the risk, the safety of the gymnasts and the technical direction of the discipline,” it said. “There is added risk in landing of double saltos for beam dismounts (with/without twists), including a potential landing on the neck. Reinforcing, there are many examples … where decisions have been made to protect the gymnasts and preserve the direction of the discipline.”

Basically they have been watering down Biles scores trying to keep things more level and safer for the other gymnasts competing against her.

The Firestarter

This is what they said in 2019 at Worlds in Stuttgart

“In assigning values to the new elements, the WTC takes into consideration many different aspects; the risk, the safety of the gymnasts and the technical direction of the discipline,” it said. “There is added risk in landing of double saltos for beam dismounts (with/without twists), including a potential landing on the neck. Reinforcing, there are many examples … where decisions have been made to protect the gymnasts and preserve the direction of the discipline.”

Basically they have been watering down Biles scores trying to keep things more level and safer for the other gymnasts competing against her.
That really makes no sense does it? It should be high risk - high reward, if a rohtine is that unsafe ban It outright.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
Not sure. They might put Dressel in the butterfly. Do they have Simone Manuel?
He wasn't even in the relay as he was swimming the butterfly qualifiers. :lol:

Anyway in the 2nd almost all countries used men in the backstroke and breaststroke to finish with the girls in butterfly and freestyle. The event is super wild and while it should win the team with the combination that gives them the best time on paper it seems it doesn't quite play like that. The men overtake the women by a lot so if you start with two girls psychologically that might put a lot of pressure on the last two swimmers having to swim from behind like that. The girls who start in backstroke also have to struggle against the waves if there are men next to them, specially when coming into the wall for the turn but it was a super fun event, if you looked at the swimmers they all looked very happy and to be enjoying the relays. :)

slyadams

100% get where you're coming from but trust me, holding onto traditions of the game is definitely not the problem. I think the hockey federation is one of the most rule change happy there is, I played the sport for 12 years in my youth and it's been 12 years since I stopped playing and they changed so much over the time trying to become more attractive for the audience. It's basically the opposite towards football on how experimental happy they are.

The problem is simply that the technical side and the pace is insanely tricky. The ball is so fast yet small and tough to handle with the sticks you automatically get a lot of fouls based on technical errors that are not down to physicality. And you can't make using the feet (even by accident) legal for example. So unlike other ball sports where fouls are down to physical fouls you just get a lot of interruptions for non-physical issues which makes the game - as you said - very staccato. So I don't think it will ever become popular for a wider audience, mainly because it's also too fast.
Why not? I get that there are loads of feet in the circle so if you don't penalize them you disadvantage the attacking team, but surely this balances out by when the ball hits a foot and is going safe?

Agent Red

The mixed relays are so interesting to watch. Both for seeing the differences in speed and the added tactical choices it throws into the mix. A great introduction to the Olympics.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Why not? I get that there are loads of feet in the circle so if you don't penalize them you disadvantage the attacking team, but surely this balances out by when the ball hits a foot and is going safe?
Well first of all it would really be a massive change similar to allowing handball in football. Secondly it would open up a super difficult grey are of what are you allowed to do with your feet: just passively touch it? Actively kick the ball? Then what would count as a movement towards or not etc. etc.?
But most importantly it's also a safety issue. The hockey ball smashing against your feet can be really painful, it's hard. I've broken a toe as well as a finger in my playing time just by getting hit.
You don't want to incentive playing the ball with your feet/letting it hit you (and you would make it attractive because you could cover more space defensively it you don't have to protect your feet). You'd get all sort of dilemmas where players would have to decide if they want to put their body on the line.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
He wasn't even in the relay as he was swimming the butterfly qualifiers. :lol:

Anyway in the 2nd almost all countries used men in the backstroke and breaststroke to finish with the girls in butterfly and freestyle. The event is super wild and while it should win the team with the combination that gives them the best time on paper it seems it doesn't quite play like that. The men overtake the women by a lot so if you start with two girls psychologically that might put a lot of pressure on the last two swimmers having to swim from behind like that. The girls who start in backstroke also have to struggle against the waves if there are men next to them, specially when coming into the wall for the turn but it was a super fun event, if you looked at the swimmers they all looked very happy and to be enjoying the relays. :)
Teams generally do go for the combination that gives them the best time, because while it might look like a highly strategic race, it isn't since the distances in the water might lie depending on who you have in the split...

Though breaststroke is the one where you want to protect the women the most because if you don't have a strong swimmer there the men can open up an unchaseable lead, more so than with the other styles. Especially when GB puts out Adam Peaty, who is an alien :lol:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
My career was similar to yours. Only I took it up again, a couple of years ago, after almost 20 years out. I play in goals so it’s not all that different from my perspective but if I played outfield it would be like a completely different sport. The one thing you can never accuse hockey of is being overly conservative or reluctant to change.

Bobski

This is probably a question anyone with knowledge of the sport is bored answering but is there any chance at some point in the future they will introduce left handed sticks? A safety issue from what I have read but one that in time could surely be adapted to, potential benefits to the visual spectacle could be huge, much more variation in attacking play. Worth experimenting with or a non starter?

Either way, there have been some great goals in this tournament, the Dutch one against GB with the high ball plucked out of the air, one/two and glanced finish was just beautiful.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
This is probably a question anyone with knowledge of the sport is bored answering but is there any chance at some point in the future they will introduce left handed sticks? A safety issue from what I have read but one that in time could surely be adapted to, potential benefits to the visual spectacle could be huge, much more variation in attacking play. Worth experimenting with or a non starter?

Either way, there have been some great goals in this tournament, the Dutch one against England with the high ball plucked out of the air, one/two and glanced finish was just beautiful.
There’s no need for left-handed sticks. Top players can strike the ball just as hard on the back-hand as they do on the forehand.

Bobski

There’s no need for left-handed sticks. Top players can strike the ball just as hard on the back-hand as they do on the forehand.
What about in build up, having a left/right combination at the back, could that not make it easier to get passes between the lines, different angles of pass etc, create different patterns?

slyadams

Well first of all it would really be a massive change similar to allowing handball in football. Secondly it would open up a super difficult grey are of what are you allowed to do with your feet: just passively touch it? Actively kick the ball? Then what would count as a movement towards or not etc. etc.?
But most importantly it's also a safety issue. The hockey ball smashing against your feet can be really painful, it's hard. I've broken a toe as well as a finger in my playing time just by getting hit.
You don't want to incentive playing the ball with your feet/letting it hit you (and you would make it attractive because you could cover more space defensively it you don't have to protect your feet). You'd get all sort of dilemmas where players would have to decide if they want to put their body on the line.
Possibly, I just find it strange to understand a sport that severly penalizes accidents or bad luck. The question about 'deliberate or not' is a decision many sports have to make right? The safety I'm not sure about, deliberate kicking would be a penalty still, so the only change would be players trying to do it deliberately abd pass it off as accidental (i.e. cheating)? The way they charge down penalty corners is pretty crazy already.

Kopral Jono

Been following the badminton, @Sky1981? With the so-called 'minions' gone in a massive shock, it'd probably take a Herculean effort from us now to bring home a gold medal unless Hendra/Ahsan manages to pull something out of their senior citizen bag. That said, Ginting impressed me a lot today with his win, he was cautiously proactive throughout and I thought he controlled the tempo of the game incredibly well.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Doesn't everyone?

They are deafening here especially if you are close to the bush.
Not UK. Nothing here to kill you, audibly annoy you (except a few foxes) or make you scratch yourself unnecessarily. No mosquitoes is the clincher for living here. Going to any other country is a huge step down for creepy crawly comfort, we're that spoiled.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Been following the badminton, @Sky1981? With the so-called 'minions' gone in a massive shock, it'd probably take a Herculean effort from us now to bring home a gold medal unless Hendra/Ahsan manages to pull something out of their senior citizen bag. That said, Ginting impressed me a lot today with his win, he was cautiously proactive throughout and I thought he controlled the tempo of the game incredibly well.
Nope. Sadly nope..stopped following when Susie and Alan got married. Even then i never took a liking to badminton, just keeping up with the scores.

Dang that's some bloody 20 years ago. Our first gold medal.

Kopral Jono

Nope. Sadly nope..stopped following when Susie and Alan got married. Even then i never took a liking to badminton, just keeping up with the scores.

Dang that's some bloody 20 years ago. Our first gold medal.
More like 30 years ago! Gosh, time really does fly.

Admittedly I was too young to remember Susi and Alan but one of my favourite sporting memories growing up was seeing Ricky and Rexy winning gold in Atlanta. But yeah, not unlike you I stopped taking a deep interest after they got rid of the original scoring system around 2006, only to have rekindled the old fire during the Jakarta Asian Games three years ago.

United Hobbit

Did I see someone up thread say there was BMX taking place? If so, was it shown on the BBC/ red button? If it was is there a rough time slot as I'd like to watch it?

Deery

Dreary
Did I see someone up thread say there was BMX taking place? If so, was it shown on the BBC/ red button? If it was is there a rough time slot as I'd like to watch it?
Showed some of it on BBC1 I think around 3 o’clock some kid from London, didn’t show a lot though.

United Hobbit

Showed some of it on BBC1 I think around 3 o’clock some kid from London, didn’t show a lot though.
Thanks im watching the swimming on iplayer and they’ve tagged it into that, showed about 3 races with the British guy, Kai Whyte? Or was there more?

Don't know why they aren't showing more of it, its exciting, fun to watch etc. Sounds like they will have some of tomorrow's finals

croadyman

Yeah, the women are not having the rub of the green on the whole. The rowers were edged out yesterday when a medal looked assured in two events. At least Mallory got something, even though it would have been disappointing to miss out on gold.

Looking forward to seeing Duncan Scott go again in the 200m. Hope that he can grab gold this time in the individual event.
Just needs to make sure that Andrew doesn't take too much out of him in the first 150m

carpy

Puff the magic dragon
Thanks im watching the swimming on iplayer and they’ve tagged it into that, showed about 3 races with the British guy, Kai Whyte? Or was there more?

Don't know why they aren't showing more of it, its exciting, fun to watch etc. Sounds like they will have some of tomorrow's finals
There's also Beth Shriever in the women's who came 1st twice and 3rd in her three races today.

Deery

Dreary

I was only half watching it in the background but I think 3 races were about right, yeah.

United Hobbit

There's also Beth Shriever in the women's who came 1st twice and 3rd in her three races today.
Oh they didn't show her, or any of the women's races, unless they're in a different section of the footage. Hopefully the 2 of them being in the final will mean they show the races

The bikes looked tiny

SirAnderson

I'm getting a bit overwhelmed with all the stuff, I don't know what to choose of focus on. Think I should just stick to a few and focus on that.
But with the track and field stuff starting tomorrow, that's even more interesting stuff to watch. Urgh!
I'm not getting a lot of work done, that's for sure.