2021 Summer Olympics (Tokyo)

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I find it fascinating how quickly the swimming world records fall. In track and field they can last for years, suppose in a pool there are fewer outside elements to influence the conditions and any tiny technical progression can make a huge difference.
Aye. The technical factors that RedStone details shape the swimming records, but another difference is the more global and accessible nature of track and field. The extra competitiveness ensured the fat was chewed off decades ago. I suspect now Coe has given the go-ahead to the era of super spikes, the track records will start to fall due to technology rather than any real physical improvement.

Bobski

Aye. The technical factors that RedStone details shape the swimming records, but another difference is the more global and accessible nature of track and field. The extra competitiveness ensured the fat was chewed off decades ago. I suspect now Coe has given the go-ahead to the era of super spikes, the track records will start to fall due to technology rather than any real physical improvement.
Not sure how I feel about that, creates an artificial perception of athletic progression and could lead even more to the disparaging of athletes from the past by the casual fan.

Anytime I have watched a WR in track it feels like an immensely significant moment, if we get to a point where they are constantly tumbling that impact is lessened.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
The Kenyan sprinter's 3D leotard design looks like one of those dodgy t-shirts you see advertised on random webpages by companies you've never heard of.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Not sure how I feel about that, creates an artificial perception of athletic progression and could lead even more to the disparaging of athletes from the past by the casual fan.

Anytime I have watched a WR in track it feels like an immensely significant moment, if we get to a point where they are constantly tumbling that impact is lessened.
Yeah I agree. It's a sport that has such a robust set of records. It reduces the credibility and as a fan you don't know whether to credit the athlete or the equipment. It's already happened in the distance events as I don't think the new men's 5k and 10k records are as impressive - as performances - as the marks they've replaced. And that will filter through the rest of the events.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
The Nigerian sprinter got shafted by the starter there, especially when Reece survived for a quicker reaction.

Silas

Some bullshit going on here. Why was Oduduru disqualified while Prescod wasn't?

paulscholes18

Was strange, maybe they let Prescod off as it’s the first offence so gave everyone a warning as Oduduru was the 2nd offence he got DQ.
Had it been the other way around then maybe Oduduru would have survived and Prescod would had been DQ

Silas

Was strange, maybe they let Prescod off as it’s the first offence so gave everyone a warning as Oduduru was the 2nd offence he got DQ.
Had it been the other way around then maybe Oduduru would have survived and Prescod would had been DQ
Togo's sprinter was disqualified immediately for the first offence in the very next heat.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
That's how it's usually done, isn't it? First offence by anyone puts all the athletes in the run on probation.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
They've tightened up a lot on the starts in recent years. The 0.1s reaction limit is quite arbitrary so if a sprinter dips marginally under that it does not necessarily mean they're jumping the gun. After all, they're in the hold position for 2-3 seconds so the chances of getting a legal flyer are minute. I still they think need to use more common sense because twitches are common and there's clearly a difference between someone reacting at 0.0-0.05s - which is obviously a flyer - or at 0.096 like the Nigerian did (a whole 4 milliseconds under the limit). In the interests of fairness they should call it as a false start to re-run the race, but it does not seem proportionate to disqualify the athlete on that basis.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The Nigerian sprinter got shafted by the starter there, especially when Reece survived for a quicker reaction.
Togo sprinter getting DQ'd in the next heat as well

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
That's how it's usually done, isn't it? First offence by anyone puts all the athletes in the run on probation.
Rule since 2009 has been DQ for any false start.

Pre-2003, every runner got a gimme of 1 false start, but they were DQed on their second, but it could potentially take ages to get a race started.

Between 2003 and 2009 a false start by any athlete meant the second, whoever committed it, was DQed, but that left room for tactical false starts.

Since 2009, it's been a straight DQ with no second chances. If someone had a false start and was still allowed to compete, then it sounds like the official messed up.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Rule since 2009 has been DQ for any false start.

Pre-2003, every runner got a gimme of 1 false start, but they were DQed on their second, but it could potentially take ages to get a race started.

Between 2003 and 2009 a false start by any athlete meant the second, whoever committed it, was DQed, but that left room for tactical false starts.

Since 2009, it's been a straight DQ with no second chances. If someone had a false start and was still allowed to compete, then it sounds like the official messed up.
Thanks for clarifying, at least I didn't completely make it up :D

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
Michael Johnson is such a knowledgeable and articulate pundit. What an athlete he was in his pomp, it just makes you feel old that he is looking like Bill Cosby nowadays.

Great coup by the BBC to get him for their coverage all the time.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Feel sad for Asher-Smith after that interview.

Bit shit from the BBC to zoom in on her face when she was crying, trying to see the tears.
How unusual!!! The same station that zoomed in on Eriksen when he was in a serious state

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Michael Johnson is such a knowledgeable and articulate pundit. What an athlete he was in his pomp, it just makes you feel old that he is looking like Bill Cosby nowadays.

Great coup by the BBC to get him for their coverage all the time.
That’s because the US stations don’t like him as he says it how it is. He hates Justin Gatlin as an example And wasn’t afraid of saying it on the BBC. He’s often critical of US stars but also praised them when it’s due.

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
That’s because the US stations don’t like him as he says it how it is. He hates Justin Gatlin as an example And wasn’t afraid of saying it on the BBC. He’s often critical of US stars but also praised them when it’s due.

Cheers, I never knew that.

Their loss as he is brilliant.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
i fecking love the discus and hammer. essentially, who can chuck this thing the furthest.

United Hobbit

Those Jamaicans are miles ahead at the 100m

I do like the mixed gender relays hope they keep them, just watched Poland win the mixed 4x 400m

This light show before the 100m is funky