2022 World Cup Qatar thread

RoyH1

Official now.

Pot 1: Qatar, Brazil, Belgium, France, Argentina, England, Spain, Portugal.

Pot 2: Mexico, Netherlands, Germany, Denmark, Uruguay, Switzerland, USA, Croatia.

Pot 3: Senegal, Iran, Japan, Morocco, Serbia, Poland, South Korea, Tunisia.

Pot 4: Cameroon, Canada, Ecuador, Saudi Arabia, Ghana, (Wales/Scotland/Ukraine), (Costa Rica/New Zealand), (Peru/UAE/Australia).
Is there some limitations as to the number of teams from one continent in a group? If not, we could get some very saucy groups

My early group of Death- France, Germany, Senegal, Cameroon.

My group of meh- Qatar, Switzerland, Iran, Saudi Arabia.

My group of eternal shithousery- Portugal, Uruguay, Tunisia, Ecuador.

antk

Is there some limitations as to the number of teams from one continent in a group? If not, we could get some very saucy groups

I think only UEFA teams can meet each other in groups, and no more than 2 per group.

Ramos

Cool. Thanks. It's pretty intuitive and easy to use. I love that it takes into account who the host country is and gives them an easy group :lol:
I got Qatar, the US, Morocco and whoever comes through of Wales, Scotland or Ukraine.
Yeah, kinda hoping Qatar draws Germany or the Netherlands or that side of the draw might look a bit unbalanced.

devil in me

Yea, the only continent where you can get 2 teams is Europe.

Corrupt sport washing wanker

Pathetic response. He said ‘no country is perfect’ in reply to Southgate complaining that homosexuals cannot travel there, clearly women could feel uncomfortable too. He didn’t address any concerns at all.

I’m sick of hearing from people that they are ‘getting better’, in what way are they getting better? They have made no such commitment to improve their human rights.

AshRK

Cool. Thanks. It's pretty intuitive and easy to use. I love that it takes into account who the host country is and gives them an easy group :lol:
I got Qatar, the US, Morocco and whoever comes through of Wales, Scotland or Ukraine.
I got the same. Also Portugal Germany in one group as well as Spain Netherlands and France Croatia.

RedDevilRoshi

Thanks for sharing.

I got the following:

Group A
Qatar
Germany
Serbia
Costa Rica or New Zealand

Group B
Argentina
United States
Japan
Wales or Scotland or Ukraine (hopefully Scotland) :D

Group C
France
Netherlands
Morocco
Australia or United Arab Emirates or Peru

Group D
England
Mexico
Senegal
Ecuador

Group E
Brazil
Croatia
Tunisia
Saudi Arabia

Group F
Belgium
Uruguay
Poland
Ghana

Group G
Portugal
Switzerland
Iran
Cameroon

Group H
Spain
Denmark
South Korea
Canada

A mix of some potential good and boring games in there.

desertegil

Supports
ODDs Ballklubb
Fifa scolded in damning speech by Norwegian FA president before World Cup draw
https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...world-cup-norway-lise-klaveness-b2048059.html

Full speech
https://www.tv2.no/v/1738126/

Transcript
Dear President, Dear Congress, Ladies and Gentlemen
As a young girl I took my football everywhere, also to bed every night. The ball smelled so bad that even my cat leapt from the pillow. An orange-coloured football for playing on snowy gravel fields. A 13-year-old dreaming about mastering the ball, escaping the fear of not fitting in.

Eventually I got to represent my country doing what I loved the most, also on the greatest stage for all dreams, the FIFA world cup.

Later, working as a lawyer and judge, football was often the only thing I could talk to a client or an accused about when they were facing grave criminal charges. In desperate times football can be the only common language.

Our game can inspire dreams and break down barriers. But as leaders we must do it right, to the highest standards.

Last year Norway debated a boycott of the World Cup in 2022. Instead our members voted at Congress for dialogue and pressure through FIFA as the best way to make needed changes.

Our members do demand change, they question the ethics in sport and insist on transparency. They are getting organised to make their voices heard. We must listen! We cannot ignore the calls for change. How FIFA run the game has so much to say for how football is perceived in every confederation, in every association.

FIFA must act as a role model.

I am here now as Norway’s first female football President, humble to speak in front of you. I no longer take the ball everywhere with me, but my dreams are still about football. Football where boys and girls, all colors, straights and queers, everyone, is treated with equal respect and recognition.

In 2010, the world cup was awarded by FIFA in unacceptable ways with unacceptable consequences. Human rights, equality, democracy, the core interests of football, were not in the starting 11 until many years later. These basic rights were pressured on as substitutes, mainly by outside voices. FIFA has later addressed these issues, but there is still a long way to go.

The migrant workers injured or families of those who died in the build-up to the World Cup should be cared for. FIFA, all of us, must now take all necessary measures to really implement change.

FIFA has recognised its responsibility under the UN Guiding Principles for Human Rights and now includes human rights criteria for future World Cup hosts. It is vital that the current leadership wholeheartedly continue in this way, truly moving from policy to impact.

There is no room for employers who do not secure the freedom and safety of world cup workers.

No room for leaders that cannot host the women´s game.

No room for hosts that cannot legally guarantee the safety and respect of LGBTQ+ people coming to this theatre of dreams.

I pledge that the Norwegian FA and I personally will support every initiative which safeguards the core interest of football, human rights and promotes diversity and anti-discrimination. This is also supported by our friends in the other Nordic Football Associations.

We have a brutal war in Europe now. As in wars on all continents, innocent people are being killed in meaningless fights for power. A previous world cup host has invaded the country of one of our members. Initially, FIFA hesitated. International pressure forced real action. Rather than follow, FIFA must lead.

I fear our stadiums will be empty in the future if we overlook the urgency of the current moment.

The time to act is now. FIFA, all of us, must do what we are tasked to do – to lead. To have sustainable football values govern every decision. Truly implement transparency. Zero tolerance towards corruption. Accelerate the growth of our game for women.

FIFA must set the tone an lead.

Dear President, Dear Congress – I am new here, the girl with the orange ball has come far from home. I often get asked how it is to work in a man´s world. I always answer: I don’t. I do not work in a man´s world. Football belongs to all girls and boys in the world.

So I truly share your belief that ours is indeed the beautiful and global game. Let us stand together and live up to the promise and dreams we give to everyone who takes that first kick of the ball.

Thank you.

jackal&hyde

Corrupt sport washing wanker

I think he is correct, on a pure technical sense. The question is, are those changes that happened going to stay there for good, or have they been made just to appease the World that is looking on them and after the WC things get back to "normal"?

I was very opposed to the WC being in a place of such discrimination but after getting a bit more info, from F1 going with a similar direction, I've come to think that sport might actually be a way to help these areas modernize a bit in some aspects. There's no question that money is the prime reason for the election of such places, but the end result might just be a positive one.

jackal&hyde

I hope we will see rainbow flags tbh. At the same time, if you do that there, then, he is kind of right that you might be attacked for it.

They are obviously unfit from a cultural human rights perspective to host such a tournament; but whilest it is there, people should be careful to protect themselves first.

Foxbatt

Pathetic response. He said ‘no country is perfect’ in reply to Southgate complaining that homosexuals cannot travel there, clearly women could feel uncomfortable too. He didn’t address any concerns at all.

I’m sick of hearing from people that they are ‘getting better’, in what way are they getting better? They have made no such commitment to improve their human rights.
Who said homosexuals can't travel there? Who said women could feel uncomfortable there?

jackal&hyde

Who said homosexuals can't travel there? Who said women could feel uncomfortable there?
I know you have a hard time understanding basic concepts like Self Determination rights for states and dictatorships being worse then democracys, but you can just google to see how Qatar views homosexuality and women rights; with the law they have it makes it a bit of a problem for people to feel safe.

SuperiorXI

It is really unfortunate that another world cup is going to be plagued with politics and moral issues. I long for the day when we can just enjoy it as a spectacle.

RoyH1

It is really unfortunate that another world cup is going to be plagued with politics and moral issues. I long for the day when we can just enjoy it as a spectacle.
I suppose 2026 will be ok in that regard. There the moaning and complaining will be about the distances involved and any security issues that Mexico might have at the time. Oh and Northern Europeans complaining about heat and humidity of course.

SuperiorXI

I suppose 2026 will be ok in that regard. There the moaning and complaining will be about the distances involved and any security issues that Mexico might have at the time. Oh and Northern Europeans complaining about heat and humidity of course.
Yeah, here's hoping.

Erm……Qatar did…..?

Homosexuality is punishable by Jail.

Regarding woman's rights. We have a cousin who worked there as a maid and she suffered terrible treatment.

FerociousCorgis

Erm……Qatar did…..?

Regarding woman's rights. We have a cousin who worked there as a maid and she suffered terrible treatment.
yeah just find myself amazed still that we are literally allowing bribery and corruption to win and have this world cup go ahead.

yeah just find myself amazed still that we are literally allowing bribery and corruption to win and have this world cup go ahead.
Yeah the world cup is supposed to be a peaceful celebration where the whole world comes together and no politics involved.

This World Cup is ruined before it even starts. Thousands of deaths to make it happen and huge discrimination.

FerociousCorgis

Yeah the world cup is supposed to be a peaceful celebration where the whole world comes together and no politics involved.

This World Cup is ruined before it even starts. Thousands of deaths to make it happen and huge discrimination.
i still remember all those "promises" during the bid process. No changing it from summer, these state of the art open air AC stadiums that would make it feel cool out there during summer heat. But nah once they got it apparently nobody cared.

i still remember all those "promises" during the bid process. No changing it from summer, these state of the art open air AC stadiums that would make it feel cool out there during summer heat. But nah once they got it apparently nobody cared.
Yeah even if we ignore the human rights issues. They have not followed through on the promise for how it would be delivered in the summer, should be stripped of it for that alone. I am sure there will be dead atmospheres at lots of games as well due to the logistics and cost of getting there for fans.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
I won't be watching this WC. It is an absolute disgrace that Qatar are hosting it, it's worse than the Super League and that rightly got scrapped.

Foxbatt

Erm……Qatar did…..?

Lot of things are banned in many countries by law. Prostitution too but does it effect anyone? I definitely have seen homosexuals in Qatar. Is it a democracy? Absolutely Not. If we go by defining countries that has not committed any crime, to hold the World Cup, very few countries would qualify to do that? Probably none.

FerociousCorgis

Lot of things are banned in many countries by law. Prostitution too but does it effect anyone? I definitely have seen homosexuals in Qatar. Is it a democracy? Absolutely Not. If we go by defining countries that has not committed any crime, to hold the World Cup, very few countries would qualify to do that? Probably none.
jesus christ you missed the mark by so much it went out for a throw in.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
How did you identify them?

RedDevilMachine

Eight years of hurt never stopped me dreaming. But I think this year is too early for a title.
Believe in Flick. Wasn't Hansi Flick the mastermind behind Germany's 2014 World Cup win and the golden era years from 2006 to 2017 until he left his post as assistant manager and everything seem to have gone downhill after that.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
:houllier:

I understand your point but you are twisting the truth, yes your right that just like in Dubai, there are dodgy areas that aren’t policed where there’s prostitution, drinking and drugs. However, outside of those dodgy areas, pretty much all the main public and tourist areas, let’s be absolutely clear, it would be suicidal for a homosexual to reveal themselves…

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Believe in Flick. Wasn't Hansi Flick the mastermind behind Germany's 2014 World Cup win and the golden era years from 2006 to 2017 until he left his post as assistant manager and everything seem to have gone downhill after that.
Flick is a good coach, but the quality of the squad also went down a bit after he left. So it's not all about him.
Since there is no undisputed favorite this time around there is of course always a chance that they can win it, but if I look at the squad there's few players at their peak and a lot more, who probably need a few more years to get there.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Comparing homosexuality to prostitution doesn't get you off to a good start with your argument.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Comparing homosexuality to prostitution doesn't get you off to a good start with your argument.
I think you missed the point. He wasn't comparing the two.