2022 World Cup Qatar thread

stevoc

2018 world cup winners, are 90% immigrants (either born outside France or from parents recently immigrated to France). Qatar offering them nationality is not strange because it is a small nation and hard to have the numbers to maintain a high standard league and national football team.
They have immigrant players playing for them, but many coming from the aspire academy (were raised in Qatar) and they consider themselves as national, (just as Umtiti and his teammates consider their selves nationals).
Let me get this right Qatar's national team as an academy?

What do they do scout talented young kids in other countries, offer their families money and citizenship to live in Qatar so they'll qualify for their national team when they're older?

kthanksbye

Yes you can get citizenship if you lived and worked in Qatar for 25 years. But they have a fast track for elite skilled workers (not only footballers).
Don't you think that's convenient? And also, is it the same as Umtiti playing for France?

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Hmmm…World Cup hosted by the country that owns PSG what are the chances of the tournament being a disaster and the Qataris walking away from their French advertising project?

Giggsyking

Let me get this right Qatar's national team as an academy?

What do they do scout talented young kids in other countries, offer their families money and citizenship to live in Qatar so they'll qualify for their national team when they're older?
No, they are children of families live and work in Qatar. They can be anything from Qataris to north Americans to Asians.

kthanksbye

I did not say that is convenient. I said that your claim is false. Me myself dont think this is fair or convenient.
Your comparison with the French national team of 2018 was inaccurate, don't you think?
Also the program is specifically called "Aspire Football Dreams".

kthanksbye

Not totally.
10 players in the current Qatar squad are not born in Qatar, do you think that's par for the course for a country that does not offer citizenship before 25 consecutive years of living in the country?
Would any of these people be holding Qatari passports if they were not playing football?
Would Umtiti still be a French citizen if he was not a professional footballer?

Simple yes/no questions.

stevoc

No, they are children of families live and work in Qatar. They can be anything from Qataris to north Americans to Asians.
But many of them end up playing for the Qatari national team?

Don't you think that's a bit convenient?

Giggsyking

10 players in the current Qatar squad are not born in Qatar, do you think that's par for the course for a country that does not offer citizenship?
Would any of these people be holding Qatari passports if they were not playing football?
Would Umtiti still be a French citizen if he was not a professional footballer?

Simple yes/no questions.
1- No.
2- Yes some of them, depending on their family's status.
3-Yes.

But, would Umtiti hold a japanes passport if he played football or worked another work in Japan for 100 years? No. That is the rule of their country. As I said, I dont think it is fair. Me myself think if you live and work in a country for an acceptable period of time you should have the right to earn citizenship of that country.

kthanksbye

1- No.
2- Yes some of them, depending on their family's status.
3-Yes.

But, would Umtiti hold a japanes passport if he played football or worked another work in Japan for 100 years? No. That is the rule of their country. As I said, I dont think it is fair. Me myself think if you live and work in a country for an acceptable period of time you should have the right to earn citizenship of that country.
1 - Then why would you compare it to France who is offering citizenship to people all across and Umitit happens to play football, the comparison is wrong.
2 - No, Qatar requires you to spend 25 consecutive years in the country before you can even apply for citizenship, or if the parents are Qatari nationals, none of these 10 player's parents are Qatar nationals.
3 - That's the whole point and that is why comparing them to France is wrong.

What Japan does is irrelevant, we're talking about Qatar, you compared it to France.

Giggsyking

1 - Then why would you compare it to France who is offering citizenship to people all across and Umitit happens to play football, the comparison is wrong.
2 - No, Qatar requires you to spend 25 consecutive years in the country before you can even apply for citizenship, or if the parents are Qatari nationals, none of these 10 player's parents are Qatar nationals.
3 - That's the whole point and that is why comparing them to France is wrong.

What Japan does is irrelevant, we're talking about Qatar, you compared it to France.
I made the France comparison based on the (born outside of Qatar), as if it was something forbidden. Then again, them giving Citizenship based on how skilled you are is not out of the world, many countries have skilled based points immigration system like Canada that can shorten the period of your process. I did not say that it is what I believe in or think is fair.
What Japan does and other countries does is relevant. Because it gives you and example on how countries around the world have different rules and how they work differently.

BooloBiibshe

And they can't tell right from wrong but have to get their morality from medieval scripture from Arabia mainly rehashing bronze age ethics.
They can tell right from wrong but women take decisions quicker than men. They also have the right to correct their men.

The Quran is way more prophetic than I could have ever imagined.
The Quran is a completed book directly from GOD. There is no verse that is confusing. It is all authentic and whoever follows will never lost.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
They can tell right from wrong but women take decisions quicker than men. They also have the right to correct their men.

The Quran is a completed book directly from GOD. There is no verse that is confusing. It is all authentic and whoever follows will never lost.
How many versions of the Quran are there? Isn’t it something like a dozen?

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans

I found the same verses about Allah being the most merciful and then him sending all the disbelievers to hell and how he has prepared a great punishment for them being pretty confusing.

matt10000

Why are alot of people complaining about the lack of alcohol during the world Cup in Qatar. I never drank alcohol in my life but what I heard or seen about booze is absolutely not a good thing.

The minute people start drinking they become a different person. They talk in a slow motion voice, they spit in your face, they become unpredictable, you never know what they are capable of doing to you or the environment. They ask you your name every one and half minutes. On top of that they don't remember a thing of what they did when they are sober so you have to forgive them.

One day I was working as a delivery driver. I couldn't find one of the customer's address and I stopped to ask two men if they could help me but they were drunk so they both got in to the car, one in front and the other guy tried to sit at the back but there were alot of clothes with a hangers stick. I have seen him pushing the clothes so hard, I said to them guys what are you doing I just wanna ask you an address why are you in the car. They said that I am their taxi so I have to move. I told them I am not a taxi driver and the one at the back was keep saying, yes you are while he was pushing his face through the clothes like we were in Forrest full of tree leaves. After a moment of madness two girls helped me to made them know that I am not their ride. Anyway my point is that alcohol makes you things like that. You can mistake your ride for another car but you can't bush a whole lot of clothes in hangers and think that is a taxi car.

We should applaud Qatar for stopping alcohol in public places so we can have a health World Cup.
This is a huge generalisation, the majority of people drink responsibly and don't become a different person or spit in peoples faces. You talked about freedom in another post but you want to impose your version of freedom on others which erm.....isn't freedom.

Maybe Qatar should ban driving because some people drive irresponsibly and cause crashes..........

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I’m surprised too. FIFA must brought a lot of pressure to the table for this to happen.
Yeah, wonder whether it will any implications for the future, also whether they’d extend that privilege to their own citizens this fall.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Brazil and Argentina are both well balanced. Argentina are defensively sound and gritty. Messi won't be strolling around. South American giants have a good shot. Hell even Uruguay will be tough to beat.

Nobody can get the ball off Spain and if they have a decent striker who has a clinical tournament they will win.

France has ridiculous star power and if they all focus and check egos at the door they can win.

England is still dangerous with the bus parking and Kane/Sterling/Foden but the Dutch look better.

Can't see a winner outside of the teams I just mentioned. Belgium's ship has sailed and Portugal seem out of ideas quite often.

I'd love to see an African or north American team overachieve.

Who am I kidding I want to see Canada score a goal.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Didn't think they'd allow it, quite the surprise.
Well Bud isn't a good drink, so that will cut back quite heavily on the people who have some taste requirements and aren't absolutely desperate. In addition, I suspect the price will be astronomical owing to the lack of competition and captive audience.

As for the tournament itself, I hold zero interest and will not watch one minute of it nor consume any print/digital media on it (I.e. click on any articles linking to the WC.)

This tournament is an absolute joke. Let's look at what has had to happen for it to be achieved:

1) Bribery
2) Building the infrastructure by exploiting desperate people from the 3rd world.
3) Requiring a full blown restructure of the club calender

Honestly, I am pretty apolitical and pretty central when I do get into politics. However, this tournament really needs to hit FIFA and Qatar where it hurts, which is money and exposure. Anyone who actually give even a slightest care about any of the issues this tournament has created should not watch or read anything about it as otherwise they win.

Tarrou

getting a distinct Fyre festival vibe from all the dealings with the website and apps and wotnot

just received my first email from the fan village (where I'm staying), and they forgot to bcc

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout

RoyH1

The BBC story didn't specify the countries other than England and Wales but I found out it's England, Wales, Germany, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Switzerland, Portugal and Belgium. A couple of big European absences in that list

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Anyone here actually going to Qatar for the WC?

I'll be in dubai for a week during the KO rounds

GregM40

I’m already thinking we should be playing a game tomorrow and Sunday then facing reality. It’s bobbins, this.