2022 World Cup Qatar thread

JamesB__

Supports
Stoke City
Considering how enjoyable this World Cup has been, helped by it being in the summer when people can have street parties and spend all day in a beer garden watching the games, 2022 depresses the shit out of me.

JBD-dane

Stood in the central of Copenhagen with a cold beer in my hand in a warm summer night watching my home country play and enjoyed the World Cup atmosphere. So sad I am gonna wait 8 years for this again.

Reactions: Penna

Giggs86

Boycott this abomination, and hold an alternative proper tournament in a proper country. Sounds impossible, but if all the major football associations in the big countries unite, surely they can arrange a proper summer World Cup in England for example. Then just send the youth teams / semi-pros to Qatar.

I’m only half-kidding.

DizeeGorilla20

This is not the first "Winter World Cup." Every world cup has been hosted during the winter in the Southern Hemisphere, which includes most of South America, half of Africa and the whole of Australia. Yes, it can still be enjoyed despite the cold. Get over yourselves.

Secondly, going by the reactions on here and twitter there seems to be this sense of entitlement (and slight Islamophobia, if I'm being honest, rationalised through some sense of moral/political concern). All this talk of the World Cup needing to be hosted in a "proper" country (i.e. a European nation). This is the World Cup and the hosting rights need to reflect that. You'll still have the Euros to enjoy during your precious summer so again, get over yourselves.

Lastly, I have little doubt money or favours passed hands to secure the hosting rights and yes, it leaves a sour taste in my mouth and I'm not chuffed about the World Cup being hosted in such a conservative country but it does not change my views expressed above.

Cal?

CR7 fan
This is not the first "Winter World Cup." Every world cup has been hosted during the winter in the Southern Hemisphere, which includes most of South America, half of Africa and the whole of Australia. Yes, it can still be enjoyed despite the cold. Get over yourselves.

Secondly, going by the reactions on here and twitter there seems to be this sense of entitlement (and slight Islamophobia, if I'm being honest, rationalised through some sense of moral/political concern). All this talk of the World Cup needing to be hosted in a "proper" country (i.e. a European nation). This is the World Cup and the hosting rights need to reflect that. You'll still have the Euros to enjoy during your precious summer so again, get over yourselves.

Lastly, I have little doubt money or favours passed hands to secure the hosting rights and yes, it leaves a sour taste in my mouth and I'm not chuffed about the World Cup being hosted in such a conservative country but it does not change my views expressed above.
I don’t think anyone ever mentioned it should be held in Europe again. But there were plenty of other bids for this WC, USA, Japan, Australia will all be better places to hold it in the usual season if the year without any of the concerns of holding it in Qatar.

alsabi

I'd like to be the first to offer my commiserations to France on being knocked out in the group stages of this one.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44994041

Not exactly £5m bungs to voters but more (alleged) "shadiness".

To be honest, there could be videos of the Qatari WC Organisation team literally putting money in voters pockets and FIFA would say "Mr Garcia investigated previously and there's nothing wrong".

Dodgy as feck, allegedly (before I get sued)

Colombian Mancunian

With all the arguments over where the next World Cup is being held, has anyone any predictions for it. I suspect that the winners will be a team that is very comfortable in possession and is not all about high-octane pressing football. That is down to the extreme temperatures.
Plus is it actually officially signed and sealed it will take place in January?
It will be held on winter which is colder than summer in Russia. Verticality will win again this time, possesion based teams were utterly smashed (thankfully, I hate that silly approach)

Scarlet_Emperor

Supports
CR Flamengo
UEFA managed to destroy the Eurocup, the competition between national teams which used to provide us some entertainment in case the WC doesn't meet our expectations. EURO 2016 was one of the worst tournaments ever - it made even the shittest WCs look like amazing in comparison. It's a shame that the next ones may be as bad as that one.

And now, it seems FIFA wants to do the same with the most important event in the world along with Olympic Games. Why? For the same reason that UEFA wrecked the EUROCUP.

Well... if things still keeps going like this, it's likely they'll lose some passionate fans in the future and attracted more bland ones who doesn't care about the quality of football at all and will just want to show their friends that they are in a famous event with their inseparable cell phones without really caring to stay there until the end of the first half. Fortunately, World Cups are used to offerring a unique atmosphere, as joining people of different nationalities in a great way, which makes this competition be so memorable in our minds, but I'd strongly recommend FIFA not counting only on this. The Carnival in Rio, for instance, despite being a postcard in one of the most well-known cities, doesn't engage more the older fans just like in the old times because of factors very similar to these ones.

AllezLesDiables

I watched a program saying over 100 men would lose their lives building those stadiums! Is that what the beautiful game has become!
You’re a bit short there. The estimate is more like 4000 workers will die building WC infrastructure for 2022 in Qatar.

As bad the issues were with Russia were. This is 1000x worse.

If FIFA is going to be consistent then Lichtenstein, Vanuatu, and the Vatican should all be hosting World Cups.

RoyH1

December World Cup feels terribly wrong. And Qatar is not somewhere where I think the scenes we saw of tens of thousands of fans drinking and partying in the streets will be seen.

Still time to correct this.

Foxtrot

Supports
Die Mannschaft
I attended the 2002, 2006, 2010, 2014 and of course the recent 2018 World Cup in Russia. I'd definitely NOT be attending the 2022 World Cup in Qatar. What a farce.

Still laughable that anyone believed that it could be played there in Summer.

Sheikh Mohammed bin Hamad bin Khalifa al-Thani, the 2022 Qatar bid chairman, said, "the event has to be organized in June or July. We will have to take the help of technology to counter the harsh weather. We have already set in motion the process. A stadium with controlled temperature is the answer to the problem. We have other plans up our sleeves as well".

Failing getting it right first time (which any non-corrupt body could have done), as soon as Qatar said they might want to change it, FIFA should have given it someone else.

Bet they knew from day.1 that they'd change it, just hoped that people would think it was too late to change.

Probably the biggest football scandal ever. Typifies FIFA

VP

Still laughable that anyone believed that it could be played there in Summer.

Sheikh Mohammed bin Hamad bin Khalifa al-Thani, the 2022 Qatar bid chairman, said, "the event has to be organized in June or July. We will have to take the help of technology to counter the harsh weather. We have already set in motion the process. A stadium with controlled temperature is the answer to the problem. We have other plans up our sleeves as well".

Failing getting it right first time (which any non-corrupt body could have done), as soon as Qatar said they might want to change it, FIFA should have given it someone else.

Bet they knew from day.1 that they'd change it, just hoped that people would think it was too late to change.

Probably the biggest football scandal ever. Typifies FIFA
Yep, it's quite amazing how they've got away with changing the dates of the world cup. They won the bid on air-conditioned stadiums - and then said they can't actually do that. In any other industry, I'm sure there'd have been a rebidding. I'm surprised that the US/Australian teams haven't sued FIFA for this.

Slysi17

Absolutely annoying that the club season will be disrupted by having the world cup in November and December. Can imagine this might hurt the bigger clubs seasons as it is an important period in the season when momentum built up could be lost due to the disruption. Read that the schedule may have to be changed but reckon it will have an adverse effect for clubs whose players go far in the tournament in regards to player availability. Absolute farce in having it at this time. Should of given the world cup to someone else.

stevoc

Same was said for Russia - boycott the world cup! It is football world cup and there will be fans from all over the world, irrespective of what one thinks about the politics behind awarding Qatar the world cup.

Being a small country, i believe it will be awesome experience with so many fans and cultures together. They may actually have a small village for tourists so they can enjoy the event without being to deal with moral police.

And yes, I will definitely try and go to Qatar for the world cup.
Yeah sounds like it will be a right laugh for tourists.

It is an offence to drink alcohol or be drunk in public.

You should dress modestly when in public.

Women should cover their shoulders and avoid wearing short skirts

Any intimacy in public between men and women (including between teenagers) can lead to arrest.

Homosexual behaviour is illegal in Qatar
So glad we're all going to pretend like Qatar is a nice country to hold the biggest football tournament of the world.
Could be fun with all these drunk tourists.

stevoc

It’s intersting to see different peoples views on that World Cup. I thought it was the worst one I’ve ever seen. Maybe because England weren’t there so I spent the tournament cheering Eire.... I was young and foolish then though!
Genuinely interested as i've seen others doing it as well, but why do you refer to Ireland as Eire?

Stookie

Nurse bell end
Genuinely interested as i've seen others doing it as well, but why do you refer to Ireland as Eire?
Dunno really, same as I refer to Holland as Netherlands. I don’t do it with all countries though so can’t explain why just those!

http://adage.com/article/media/fifa-admist/309601/

It gets worse. I didn't even see this at the time but just found when I was googling about the Qatar WC.

Changing to a Winter tournament was an issue with American football getting to the end of the season (it'd be the playoffs I guess) so FIFA did a dodgy TV deal.... to go with their dodgy WC deal.

"..... formerFIFA Ethics Committee chairman Michael J. Garcia notes that the likelihood of having to reschedule the 2022 World Cup (the average summer temperature in Qatar is a scalding 106ºF) proved to be a bone of contention for Fox and Telemundo.

"The TV partners in the USA … did have some issues, as there would be a clash with the American football season," Garcia wrote. "For which reason, it had been agreed to extend the contract with Fox in exchange for an undertaking not to act against FIFA should the 2022 World Cup be moved to winter."

In other words, Fox agreed to not drag FIFA into court in exchange for the extension, which was signed over at a fraction of the original $425 million contract. (That initial package includes the 2015 and 2019 Women's World Cup and the 2018 and 2022 men's tourney.) If things go according to plan and North America wins the right to host the 2026 World Cup, Fox will pay FIFA an undisclosed bonus fee."

How they get away with this is amazing.

How they have the gall to say they've cleaned up their act is laughable..... if it wasn't so sad.

stevoc

Dunno really, same as I refer to Holland as Netherlands. I don’t do it with all countries though so can’t explain why just those!
Fair enough mate, just something thats always interested me. When i lived in England years ago i heard it a fair bit, mostly from older people so it must be a generational thing for the most part.

massi83

You’re a bit short there. The estimate is more like 4000 workers will die building WC infrastructure for 2022 in Qatar.

As bad the issues were with Russia were. This is 1000x worse.

If FIFA is going to be consistent then Lichtenstein, Vanuatu, and the Vatican should all be hosting World Cups.
This myth again. 100 is pretty accurate probably (not that it isn't too many). 4000 (actually 3000) from the Guardian article back in the day has been proved incorrect countless of times.

Timeline: Qatar's World Cup Bid
  • October 2010

Two Fifa Exco members, Nigerian Amos Adamu and Reynald Temarii, from Tahiti, are suspended and later banned after being filmed discussing the selling of votes.

• December 2010

Fifa president Sepp Blatter announces that Qatar will host the 2022 World Cup.

• March 2014:

The Telegraph reports that Jack Warner, Fifa’s former vice-president, and members of his family received millions of dollars from a company controlled by Qatari football official Mohamed Bin Hammam, five days after the vote.

• April 2014

The Telegraph reveals that in 2011 £2 million was paid into a saving account set up in the name of Brazil Fifa representative Ricardo Teixeira’s 10-year-old daughter. Teixeira supported Qatar’s bid.

• May 2014

A report claims Bin Hammam paid football officials a total of £3 million as he sought to build support for Qatar’s controversial World Cup bid. The figure is alleged to have included £250,000 to cover Temarii’s legal expenses, and £1.6million paid to Warner.

• May 2015

Police Swoop on officials staying in Zurich’s Baur au Lac hotel as they gather for Fifa’s annual meeting. The US Department of Justice charges 14 people with corruption, as Swiss prosecutors launch an investigation into the 2018 and 2022 World Cup bids

• June 2015

An FBI probe into Fifa corruption is widened to include the 2014 World Cup in Brazil, as well as the 2018 and 2022 competitions Teixeira is among those named by former US ExCo member-turned-supergrass Chuck Blazer.

• February 2016

UEFA secretary Gianni Infantino is elected the new head of FIFA.

• June 2016

US attorney Michael Garcia’s 430-page report into the bidding process is finally leaked, three years after it was submitted to Fifa. It highlights Qatar’s use of Aspire to “curry favour with executive committee members” and “undermine the integrity of the bidding process”

• May 2017

Fifa’s ethics committee, which has led the organisation’s internal investigation into allegations of corruption, is summarily disbanded at a meeting of the ruling council in Bahrain led by Infantino. It subsequently emerges that Infantino was himself under investigation.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Ooh2B

Supports
Arsenal
The moment their name came out of the pot I knew the fix was in.

It also had the genuine affect of turning me away from the game I grew up loving (amongst a myriad of other things) and I’ve only been really poking my nose back around in the last season or 2 and actively following my team and the leagues in general. It’s so bloody pervasive I can’t get away from it!:houllier:
That WC in ‘22 won’t be getting a look in from me though. Even If Ireland were to qualify for it, I still couldn’t be arsed with it. I’ll be busy hanging Christmas lights and decorations and enjoying a mid season break from the Premier League, Serie A, La Liga etc, while looking forward to a bit of summer footie in ‘23 as all those competitions will spill over into June and perhaps July anyway.
And there’s a +10 hour difference for me as well, inconsiderate shower of .

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
After the north American world cup how about a Scandanavian world cup!

RoyH1

After the north American world cup how about a Scandanavian world cup!
That would be wicked (specially as one currently living in Denmark) but it’s not going to happen with a 48 team format. Simply not enough large stadia in Scandinavia to accommodate so many teams.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Irony here is Blatter and Co. didn't want Qatar to host the event. I believe Blatter's vote went to the US bid. It was referred to in Fifa corridors as the "Doomsday bid" and all the problems it would involve which we now see. They seriously undestimated the wide network of support Qatar had built from various methods.

To me Australia would've been a far better choice. Decent national team that regularly qualifies for World cups and real chance to grow the A league with a WC on (similar to US in 90s).

Qatar feels wrong on so many levels. For all the criticism Russia got it is a legitimate football nation with some famous Club teams and a national team that's had good runs at tournaments.

Qatar has never come close to qualifiying for a WC (teams like Bahrain and Syria have made play offs in last 10 years) and pretty sure about 10 years ago at an asian cup they naturalized a group of South American players.

As others have said the league season is going to be chopped in two. No idea when the premier league will start (early July) as I believe the plan is to still to play the Boxing day games that season but we've seen in this edition how jaded players are mentally if they reach the latter stages.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Think plan is to start season three weeks early and finish three weeks late.
Do-able I guess. Problem will be for teams who have many players who get far in the WC as we're seeing currently with Man. United and Spurs.

Yes it will be different as they haven't played straight for 9 months but I doubt all those players will come straight back for their teams especially the teams that fall just short.

Do-able I guess. Problem will be for teams who have many players who get far in the WC as we're seeing currently with Man. United and Spurs.

Yes it will be different as they haven't played straight for 9 months but I doubt all those players will come straight back for their teams especially the teams that fall just short.
Yip. Season after will be affected hugely if you have players in last WC knockout rounds unless managers use squads carefully.

Chorley1974

Lady Ole
An absolute joke to hold it there. It will be a terrible World Cup akin to those in South Africa or USA.
It is a joke, but I think it will be far worse than South Africa or USA. The last time I watched England at the World Cup was in Manaus in 2014, a non entity as far as a football city, but had a great Fanzone for other games, and a good fan area for drinks just before the game. I just don't see what Qatar will offer for fans to enjoy drinks & banter mixing with other fans, I'm not going to go anywhere near it.

RoyH1

Irony here is Blatter and Co. didn't want Qatar to host the event. I believe Blatter's vote went to the US bid. It was referred to in Fifa corridors as the "Doomsday bid" and all the problems it would involve which we now see. They seriously undestimated the wide network of support Qatar had built from various methods.

To me Australia would've been a far better choice. Decent national team that regularly qualifies for World cups and real chance to grow the A league with a WC on (similar to US in 90s).

Qatar feels wrong on so many levels. For all the criticism Russia got it is a legitimate football nation with some famous Club teams and a national team that's had good runs at tournaments.

Qatar has never come close to qualifiying for a WC (teams like Bahrain and Syria have made play offs in last 10 years) and pretty sure about 10 years ago at an asian cup they naturalized a group of South American players.

As others have said the league season is going to be chopped in two. No idea when the premier league will start (early July) as I believe the plan is to still to play the Boxing day games that season but we've seen in this edition how jaded players are mentally if they reach the latter stages.
Australia would have been an excellent place to stage a WC. Bloody far away and the time differences would have been a challenge for watching games for many, but the fan experience would have been great.
I don't know how the boards of rugby league/Aussie rules are about leasing their stadiums out for other sporting events. but if they were not fussy about it, then Australia wouldn't even need to build that many stadiums.

Hanks

I have watched Qatar play Iran many times since I started to get into football at age 6, and nearly everytime we play them in Doha the stadium is 75% empty. Even when their top teams (Al-Sadd, Al-Gharafa) in AFC Champions League play at home, the stadium looks completely flat and empty. Not to mention a large % of Qatari population aren't even Qataris. It's surely going to be a weird atmosphere. Their team is piss poor as well, and in WCQ finished bottom of a group with Iran, Korea, Syria, Uzbekistan and China.

I mean, in Russia, on the days your team didn't have a game, you'd go see Hermitage, take a boat tour on Fontanka, relax in Gorky Park, or day-drink and dance on Nikolskaya Street. What are fans supposed to do in Qatar on a free day? Guess doing day trips to more interesting countries of the region could be an option, we'll find out.

I was in Reykjavik in January and have a good friend there who went to Doha a couple of years ago for the Handball Championship. Asked about his experience and to put it kindly he didn't have the best words and experience. "You see buses that are loaded with over 200% of their capacity, it's like a sardine pack."