2022 World Cup Qatar thread

GiddyUp

That would be wicked (specially as one currently living in Denmark) but it’s not going to happen with a 48 team format. Simply not enough large stadia in Scandinavia to accommodate so many teams.
Maybe slaves could help as it seems the governing bodies are ok with it.

MDFC Manager

http://adage.com/article/media/fifa-admist/309601/

It gets worse. I didn't even see this at the time but just found when I was googling about the Qatar WC.

Changing to a Winter tournament was an issue with American football getting to the end of the season (it'd be the playoffs I guess) so FIFA did a dodgy TV deal.... to go with their dodgy WC deal.

"..... formerFIFA Ethics Committee chairman Michael J. Garcia notes that the likelihood of having to reschedule the 2022 World Cup (the average summer temperature in Qatar is a scalding 106ºF) proved to be a bone of contention for Fox and Telemundo.

"The TV partners in the USA … did have some issues, as there would be a clash with the American football season," Garcia wrote. "For which reason, it had been agreed to extend the contract with Fox in exchange for an undertaking not to act against FIFA should the 2022 World Cup be moved to winter."

In other words, Fox agreed to not drag FIFA into court in exchange for the extension, which was signed over at a fraction of the original $425 million contract. (That initial package includes the 2015 and 2019 Women's World Cup and the 2018 and 2022 men's tourney.) If things go according to plan and North America wins the right to host the 2026 World Cup, Fox will pay FIFA an undisclosed bonus fee."

How they get away with this is amazing.

How they have the gall to say they've cleaned up their act is laughable..... if it wasn't so sad.
Ah, no wonder 2026 went to bloody North America.

Fosu-Mens

There is a danish documentary regarding the inner workings of how countries win a WC-bid: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8478098/
Does not dwell much into naming corrupt people etc, but gives a good understanding of how the different delegates for voting can be approached and so on.

Regarding FIFA and Qatar 2022: Fifa gave the football community around the world the finger when they let Qatar host the world cup. The level of audacity they showed with that decision indicates that they are still as corrupt as ever.

As a sidenote: Does anybody know what Fifa spends their money on? Besides £15m on that United Passions movie. Easy to find information regarding their income, but no/little information on outcome.

GiddyUp

Of course.

These scum have no right to host the World Cup.
Its like when a rich oligarch or arab prince gets J-Lo or Beyonce to play a private concert for a lot of cash multiplied by a million. I'm certainly not looking forward to Alexi Lalas telling me how the sacrifice of thousands of Asian slaves helped achieve the historical spectacle of soccer in a desert. cnuts.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
Its like when a rich oligarch or arab prince gets J-Lo or Beyonce to play a private concert for a lot of cash multiplied by a million. I'm certainly not looking forward to Alexi Lalas telling me how the sacrifice of thousands of Asian slaves helped achieve the historical spectacle of soccer in a desert. cnuts.
skid mark on the undies.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
There is a danish documentary regarding the inner workings of how countries win a WC-bid: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8478098/
Does not dwell much into naming corrupt people etc, but gives a good understanding of how the different delegates for voting can be approached and so on.

Regarding FIFA and Qatar 2022: Fifa gave the football community around the world the finger when they let Qatar host the world cup. The level of audacity they showed with that decision indicates that they are still as corrupt as ever.

As a sidenote: Does anybody know what Fifa spends their money on? Besides £15m on that United Passions movie. Easy to find information regarding their income, but no/little information on outcome.
An old story from the BBC ... https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-32923882

AlwaysRed66

When is UEFA & the major leagues going to tell FIFA where they can go & set up their own tournaments away from it. Without the European money belt FIFA would soon collapse, as other major countries around the world would soon join.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff

48 hours

They’ve also added a sin tax to alcohol

https://news.sky.com/story/alcohol-prices-double-overnight-in-qatar-as-new-sin-tax-enforced-11595884

Booze prices were already high - and following the changes, a one litre bottle of gin will now cost 304 Qatari riyals (£73.25), while a 24-pack of beer cans will cost 384 riyals (£82.73).

The cost of a bottle of wine is pricey but not as steep, with 750ml of South African Shiraz now set to cost 86 riyals (£18.53)

I guess the British media will have to coin the phrase Shiraz louts for the World Cup

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Qatar being blockaded by it's neighbors? What happens if the US also decides Qatar is sponsoring terror and imposes sanctions as well? The oil price has fallen and could fall much further. Could well be questions over regional stability by 2022.

Still think there is a reasonable chance the 2022 WC will be moved entirely.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
I'm amazed that one/more of the competing bids hasn't formally appealed.

Theyve changed the dates, they have huge human rights issues and Infantino (new name, same corruption) is trying to change number of teams.

From the very beginning, everyone said it couldn't be Summer ... it isn't, the bid shouldnt stand.

Give it Australia.

Flytan

I just don't see how FIFA was so dumb to award it in the first place. Surely there were other places willing to pay them under the table for the decision? Somewhere where:

A) Slave labor isn't used to build stadiums that had no reason to exist
B) Terror hot spot
C) Too hot to play during the summer
D) Lack of footballing history

I mean come on, only reason I can imagine the decision went to them was because they knew they were getting caught soon anyways and wanted that last pay day.

Complete embarrassment more is not being made of the working conditions there.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Qatar being blockaded by it's neighbors? What happens if the US also decides Qatar is sponsoring terror and imposes sanctions as well? The oil price has fallen and could fall much further. Could well be questions over regional stability by 2022.

Far too late now. Qatar would sue the hell out of Fifa anyway.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
It was always going to be a shitshow. Any of these suggested changes would just amplify that fact. I find it hard to care anymore.

NewDawnFades

There will be plenty of domestic leagues suing for losses over the decision to host it in Qatar too, and that's along with FIFA already being sued (and massive, lasting reputational damage) for the modern slavery they have generated, condoned and enabled to make the World Cup happen.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
If they're not logistically able to hold it due to political instability, war, civil war or because it's logistically impossible due to sanctions or blockade etc don't see how they could / would sue.

For example If the US found Qatar was sponsoring Terror and did similar to Iran, Qatar wouldn't be able to hold the world cup. No corporation that used dollars would be able to be involved. Totally stuffed.

Obviously that regions politics are very complicated. Everyone though Iran was stable pre 1979. Then revolution. Loads of wars and issues in last 50 years.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_modern_conflicts_in_the_Middle_East

FIFA have taken a big risk. Greed. I doubt FIFA would plan to move it but could be forced. Just can't know 3 years ahead.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Pretty sure it was said they're already finding ways to get around the blockade (importing minerals from Turkey to build the stadiums is what I think I read) so don't think it will put WC in danger at all.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Where would they sue and under what jurisdiction could they force FIFA to comply with them if FIFA didn't want to? The EU? The UN?
If FIFA was pressured by enough US and European corporations (which admittedly isn't likely to happen now) Qatar would have no grounds to sue anyone, especially when all their human rights violations could be trotted out..

RochaRoja

If it's expanded, it should be to either 40 or 64 teams.

24 team tournaments never work properly and nor would 48.

Eight groups of five or 16 groups of four are the only way to go.

Phil

Jesus alcohol in Qatar was already ridiculously expensive

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

From what I've read the blockade is more over some petty sectarian bullshit and angst over Qatar's relative liberalism compared to it's neighbors. I'm certainly not taking serious the moral standings of a blockade led by a country that dismembers citizens in it's embassies.

If the US imposes sanctions it will be game over, but that decision won't be made on a whim.

Cockney Phil

The meeting is next year is it not? To decide if Qatar can hold the world cup.

Its coming home ;)
Britain can’t cope with Brexit, can you imagine the chaos the World Cup would cause.

There would be visa mayhem of tens of thousands of foreigners wanting to come to Britain all at once! Extended Parliamentary debates about identity and a twenty page nationality questionnaire. The Sun and Mail demanding family exclusions, proof of earnings and health insurance per game. Calls for a referendum!