2022 World Cup Qatar thread

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
I suppose they classed most of them as natural deaths and/or said well sure statistically they probably would have died in their own countries anyway?
To be honest Im still trying to work it all out. The WC has been my whole life my favourite sporting event so there is part of me trying to explain this all away neatly to appease that but then there is part of me thats really uneasy and struggling with it all.

OleBoiii

To be honest Im still trying to work it all out. The WC has been my whole life my favourite sporting event so there is part of me trying to explain this all away neatly to appease that but then there is part of me thats really uneasy and struggling with it all.
I'm in the same boat. I love the world cup so much, but I get sick thinking about the upcoming one.

I wonder if TV viewers boycotting makes a difference, though? If I don't say anything positive about the tournament to other people and watch it alone on illegal streams or the "free" public broadcaster in my country, then I guess it could be justified? Or am I still a part of the problem if I "participate" with my viewership?

Guy Incognito

I'm in the same boat. I love the world cup so much, but I get sick thinking about the upcoming one.

I wonder if TV viewers boycotting makes a difference, though? If I don't say anything positive about the tournament to other people and watch it alone on illegal streams or the "free" public broadcaster in my country, then I guess it could be justified? Or am I still a part of the problem if I "participate" with my viewership?
I have more of an issue with the 2026, 2030 WC, with 48 teams which is far too many. It makes it more difficult for the bigger nations not to qualify.

I can't imagine all the matches in Qatar will be sold out. So fans will in a way be boycotting.

Stack

I have more of an issue with the 2026, 2030 WC, with 48 teams which is far too many. It makes it more difficult for the bigger nations not to qualify.

I can't imagine all the matches in Qatar will be sold out. So fans will in a way be boycotting.
Sorry I think the issue of migrant workers safety in Qatar when building stadiums is a far bigger problem than too many teams. We are talking about people being killed during construction due to unsafe work environments. People being killed in my mind is a far bigger problem than 48 teams

Relfy

I suppose they classed most of them as natural deaths and/or said well sure statistically they probably would have died in their own countries anyway?
It is not just Qatar as a country that would want to keep such matters quiet. The companies these people worked for, many of which would be internationally recognised construction companies, would not want a work related death to show up on their statistics as it would hamper their chances at future contracts, as their HSE records would be subject to scrutiny prior to new contracts. This is not to say that Qatar as a country should not be doing a lot more to protect the people working in their country, but they should share some of the blame with the employers who contract these people for very little money, and house them in often unfit accommodation.

Guy Incognito

Sorry I think the issue of migrant workers safety in Qatar when building stadiums is a far bigger problem than too many teams. We are talking about people being killed during construction due to unsafe work environments. People being killed in my mind is a far bigger problem than 48 teams
Apologies, I meant to say my issue was in the context of viewing/television and enjoying the spectacle.

You are totally right about migrant workers and frankly this WC should never have been given the green light.

Stack

Apologies, I meant to say my issue was in the context of viewing/television and enjoying the spectacle.

You are totally right about migrant workers and frankly this WC should never have been given the green light.
Cheers, sorry misunderstood your original context. Im with you on the too many teams thing.

stevoc

It is not just Qatar as a country that would want to keep such matters quiet. The companies these people worked for, many of which would be internationally recognised construction companies, would not want a work related death to show up on their statistics as it would hamper their chances at future contracts, as their HSE records would be subject to scrutiny prior to new contracts. This is not to say that Qatar as a country should not be doing a lot more to protect the people working in their country, but they should share some of the blame with the employers who contract these people for very little money, and house them in often unfit accommodation.
Oh you are definitely right there mate, there will be foreign contractors that are complicit with this.The whole thing stinks and as others have said i hate even thinking about it.

This World Cup was awarded over a decade ago due to obvious corruption and until 2-3 years i had thought it would be moved to a more suitable country at some point. But i guess FIFA is still rotten to the core with people of questionable morals who take money out of the game while contributing little towards it.

I don't think i could even watch this World Cup.