2022 World Cup Qatar thread

padzilla

Hipster
With all the arguments over where the next World Cup is being held, has anyone any predictions for it. I suspect that the winners will be a team that is very comfortable in possession and is not all about high-octane pressing football. That is down to the extreme temperatures.
Plus is it actually officially signed and sealed it will take place in January?

Rednotdead

Send a youth team. An utterly, utterly disgraceful decision to hold it in Qatar. Oil bribes talk though.

Revan

Assumptionman
With all the arguments over where the next World Cup is being held, has anyone any predictions for it. I suspect that the winners will be a team that is very comfortable in possession and is not all about high-octane pressing football. That is down to the extreme temperatures.
Plus is it actually officially signed and sealed it will take place in January?
It will be in November/December, when the highest temperature reach 20-25 degree. It will be a colder World Cup than this one in Russia, essentially the coldest World Cup ever that took place in Northern Hemisphere

I dont really care at this point. Holding it in the middle of the club season, I suspect many other fans will be less concerned with it too.

Revan

Assumptionman
Large scale boycotts from fans might mean cheaper prices in general.

I might probably go to this one if I can. I'm sure it will be a good tournament.
In my opinion it will be even worse than South Africa 2010. The atmosphere on the matches will be shit.

And I think that it will be the less attended World Cup. For most people, it is hard to take holidays in November/early December.

padzilla

Hipster
I think like South Africa you will see less atmosphere outside the ground, not least because alcohol is banned and fans will only be able to drink in hotels.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
In my opinion it will be even worse than South Africa 2010. The atmosphere on the matches will be shit.

And I think that it will be the less attended World Cup. For most people, it is hard to take holidays in November/early December.
Not particularly bothered by that.

Russia was supposed to be one of the worst World Cups. If I am playing politics, I might as well boycott the 2026 one then considering some of the countries foreign policy.

Dont see what was wrong with SA 2010 either.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Large scale boycotts from fans might mean cheaper prices in general.

I might probably go to this one if I can. I'm sure it will be a good tournament.
What makes you sure of that?

MoskvaRed

The fact that you actually need to move a world cup to december says enough doesn't it? Just choose a proper country ffs, how hard can it be.
It’s going to be weird watching the world cup when it is cold, dark at 4.30 and the streets are full of Christmas decoration. That’s without even mentioning the strangeness of the host country.

el3mel

4 years, loads of squads will change, how can we predict anything ?

Scarecrow

Having a week off
I think like South Africa you will see less atmosphere outside the ground, not least because alcohol is banned and fans will only be able to drink in hotels.
On the other hand Qatar is very small, so even if it turns out to be a comparatively low-attendance WC it still might be the largest concentration of football fans in history. That should be interesting.

Ban

It's in 4 years but already everything about this tournament sounds horrible.

Dolf

It is an offence to drink alcohol or be drunk in public.
You should dress modestly when in public.
Women should cover their shoulders and avoid wearing short skirts
Any intimacy in public between men and women (including between teenagers) can lead to arrest.
Homosexual behaviour is illegal in Qatar

So glad we're all going to pretend like Qatar is a nice country to hold the biggest football tournament of the world.
Could be fun with all these drunk tourists.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Never in my life have I been less excited for a major footballing competition. What a sack of shite this will probably be.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
The fact that you actually need to move a world cup to december says enough doesn't it? Just choose a proper country ffs, how hard can it be.
If I was one of the people responsible for making the decision i suspect i could think of millions of reasons to give it to Qatar.
i must admit I'm actually kinda facinated from a logicstics point of view how such a small (non drinking) country is going to cope with the influx of (drunken) fans

mariner85

I'm annoyed that Qatar got the world cup with money.
But it also gives a new country a chance to host it. I'm also happy that they are moving the matches to December. Shows flexibility from FIFA and sets a precedent for countries like India, Australia etc that they cancan a bid for the tournament in the future, having weather issues during June-July.

MoskvaRed

I'm annoyed that Qatar got the world cup with money.
But it also gives a new country a chance to host it. I'm also happy that they are moving the matches to December. Shows flexibility from FIFA and sets a precedent for countries like India, Australia etc that they cancan a bid for the tournament in the future, having weather issues during June-July.
You wouldn’t want a WC in Aus in December....

As for Qatar, it’s barely a country - basically one city (Doha) and 4/5 of the population are foreigners.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
An absolute joke to hold it there. It will be a terrible World Cup akin to those in South Africa or USA.

mariner85

You wouldn’t want a WC in Aus in December....

As for Qatar, it’s barely a country - basically one city (Doha) and 4/5 of the population are foreigners.
The size of a county shouldn't matter if it can come up with the infrastructure to host the tourney.
The minority of the footballing world also should get a chance

Alabaster Codify7

Should be boycotted. I've travelled to over 60 countries for leisure but would never set foot in any of the Emirati states/destinations. No interest whatsoever in the culture/sights and detest their ethics.

Please note - I have a massive interest in travelling to places like Iran. This is not an anti-Islamic/Middle Eastern attitude.

Revan

Assumptionman
There was absolutely no reason for this World Cup to be hold in Qatar. Even if we go with 'other countries bar the selected few should have the chance of hosting a World Cup' there were better choices (Australia in particular).

MoskvaRed

The size of a county shouldn't matter if it can come up with the infrastructure to host the tourney.
The minority of the footballing world also should get a chance
I have nothing against expansion (China, India, Morocco, Australia should all get a crack at some point) but holding it in a repressive theocratic city state in the desert is a step too far. The interests of half a million Qataris should not outweigh the interests of hundreds of millions of football fans globally.

devil in me

Basically 8 years until another world cup. Qatar 2022 is already a complete farce, it will barely be a world cup.

Stalin

Same was said for Russia - boycott the world cup! It is football world cup and there will be fans from all over the world, irrespective of what one thinks about the politics behind awarding Qatar the world cup.

Being a small country, i believe it will be awesome experience with so many fans and cultures together. They may actually have a small village for tourists so they can enjoy the event without being to deal with moral police.

And yes, I will definitely try and go to Qatar for the world cup.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
The only saving grace could be the football although I'm not sure how the players will approach this World Cup especially as it is mid-season.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
It can get fecked. One of the best things about the world cup is that it's on during the summer, so I already hate it.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Obviously when it comes round people will be fully engrossed in it and the constant football will complerely take over from all the other discussions.

Rafaeldagold

Is there any way this can be stoped or is it going to go ahead?

They’ll be a gap in summer 2022 now so could some form of world tournament be held and countries send their youth squads to quatar..