2022 World Cup Qatar thread

RoyH1

They have an idea as they have had to deal with drunk Americans from the airbase, but they will probably be unprepared for the scale of the WC.
Yeah, they’re in for a surprise once a couple of countries whose fan bases like their drink have to play.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
First WC since ‘94 where I don’t have to amend my work or sleep to watch the matches.

stevoc

Drinking in public and being drunk in public is illegal. There will be drinking zones I’d imagine but as we know that won’t be adhered to, so look out.
How does that work if you're drinking in one place where drinking is allowed and you are staying in another place and you have to make your way back to your hotel after a few drinks?

This sounds like a clusterfeck waiting to happen.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
How does that work if you're drinking in one place where drinking is allowed and you are staying in another place and you have to make your way back to your hotel after a few drinks?

Exactly - how do you even police that normally. What is classed as being drunk?

stevoc

In a place where the Police probably have little or no experience of dealing with people on their way home from a night out after a few drinks that's a worrying prospect. Especially considering what passes for a legal system in Qatar.

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
First WC since ‘94 where I don’t have to amend my work or sleep to watch the matches.
I appreciate this kind of dedication; being a football fan in America can be trying. That's why 0-0 matches infuriate me, I feel embarrassed and I know US fans get extra disappointed.

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
1994 = Making Football big in America

2002= Making Football big in Asia

2022 = Making Civil Rights big in the Middle Orient

Tarrou

I was just looking on Viagogo as I might sell my tickets for the semis and final to fund my trip

Cat 1 tickets going for $7k for the final and $3k for the semis

accomodation is ridiculously expensive though (for group stages which is when I'm going)

VanDeBank

Ma’am

You're supposed to get a taxi.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Don't you folk worry about drinking problems too much, they want this to be good pr and smooth, they'll take it easy somewhat for the occasion.

Tarrou

Don't you folk worry about drinking problems too much, they want this to be good pr and smooth, they'll take it easy somewhat for the occasion.
yeah, there is no way they'll be locking up thousands of fans for breaking a few drinking rules

its the last of my worries to be honest, with the price of flights and accom being the first

BooloBiibshe

Why are alot of people complaining about the lack of alcohol during the world Cup in Qatar. I never drank alcohol in my life but what I heard or seen about booze is absolutely not a good thing.

The minute people start drinking they become a different person. They talk in a slow motion voice, they spit in your face, they become unpredictable, you never know what they are capable of doing to you or the environment. They ask you your name every one and half minutes. On top of that they don't remember a thing of what they did when they are sober so you have to forgive them.

One day I was working as a delivery driver. I couldn't find one of the customer's address and I stopped to ask two men if they could help me but they were drunk so they both got in to the car, one in front and the other guy tried to sit at the back but there were alot of clothes with a hangers stick. I have seen him pushing the clothes so hard, I said to them guys what are you doing I just wanna ask you an address why are you in the car. They said that I am their taxi so I have to move. I told them I am not a taxi driver and the one at the back was keep saying, yes you are while he was pushing his face through the clothes like we were in Forrest full of tree leaves. After a moment of madness two girls helped me to made them know that I am not their ride. Anyway my point is that alcohol makes you things like that. You can mistake your ride for another car but you can't bush a whole lot of clothes in hangers and think that is a taxi car.

We should applaud Qatar for stopping alcohol in public places so we can have a health World Cup.

Reactions: Jippy

Red the Bear

Something less generic
yeah, there is no way they'll be locking up thousands of fans for breaking a few drinking rules

its the last of my worries to be honest, with the price of flights and accom being the first
I've been there a few times for either work related reasons or to get to somewhere else and they don't even enforce it normally for the sheer nightmares situations it might bring i imagine.

Now their own citizens is a bit different as I'm pretty sure they have no problem fecking them over but that's another story which none of the traveling fans should particularly worry about.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Why are alot of people complaining about the lack of alcohol during the world Cup in Qatar. I never drank alcohol in my life but what I heard or seen about booze is absolutely not a good thing.

The minute people start drinking they become a different person. They talk in a slow motion voice, they spit in your face, they become unpredictable, you never know what they are capable of doing to you or the environment. They ask you your name every one and half minutes. On top of that they don't remember a thing of what they did when they are sober so you have to forgive them.

One day I was working as a delivery driver. I couldn't find one of the customer's address and I stopped to ask two men if they could help me but they were drunk so they both got in to the car, one in front and the other guy tried to sit at the back but there were alot of clothes with a hangers stick. I have seen him pushing the clothes so hard, I said to them guys what are you doing I just wanna ask you an address why are you in the car. They said that I am their taxi so I have to move. I told them I am not a taxi driver and the one at the back was keep saying, yes you are while he was pushing his face through the clothes like we were in Forrest full of tree leaves. After a moment of madness two girls helped me to made them know that I am not their ride. Anyway my point is that alcohol makes you things like that. You can mistake your ride for another car but you can't bush a whole lot of clothes in hangers and think that is a taxi car.

We should applaud Qatar for stopping alcohol in public places so we can have a health World Cup.
:lol:

Giggsyking

If only there is a way to know how much a person is drunk. That would be a scientific breakthrough.

Last edited:

stevoc

You're supposed to get a taxi.
Yeah in an ideal world but getting one at the time you're heading home isn't always possible in any country. Plus I have my doubts Qatar have enough taxis and drivers to cope with hundreds of thousands of extra tourists.

If people are only staying a short walk from the fan zones they'll just walk instead of waiting all night for a taxi.

stevoc

Well done.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Yeah in an ideal world but getting one at the time you're heading home isn't always possible in any country. Plus I have my doubts Qatar have enough taxis and drivers to cope with hundreds of thousands of extra tourists.

If people are only staying a short walk from the fan zones they'll just walk instead of waiting all night for a taxi.
The law is just that there to arrest drunk people if they're being annoying.
It's not strictly enforced.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
I expect the world cup will be a disaster, (presuming it goes ahead) which will serve FIFA and those that took wheelbarrow fulls of cash for it right.

It's not even the human rights, I mean China hosted the Olympics and they're similar.

There's no football culture there, do we even think it'll boost football in the region? It's splitting the club season, will increase injuries and ruin the integrity of those competition.

Just a ridiculous place to have a WC and will damage football generally imo.

Imagine having back to back WC in Russia and Qatar... Time to disband FIFA and come up with new global governing body ?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

What a story mark

stevoc

Cops. I'm not defending the existence of the law. Holland has it too.
Yeah exactly individuals, most countries have similar Laws but in most countries being drunk in public wouldn't lead to harsh punishments. Think I heard it can get you 6 months in jail in Qatar. Will they be strictly enforcing it during the World Cup, who knows.

Roane

Some of the issues people have raised, eg drinking, are not going to be a big deal.

Basically when a world cup is offered to a country they sign up to pretty much all authourity to the footballing body. Their own laws become secondary. I'm unsure if this is only in certaim zones etc but generally this what they sign up to.

There was a lot of this information made available during South Africa world cup.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Some of the issues people have raised, eg drinking, are not going to be a big deal.

Basically when a world cup is offered to a country they sign up to pretty much all authourity to the footballing body. Their own laws become secondary. I'm unsure if this is only in certaim zones etc but generally this what they sign up to.

There was a lot of this information made available during South Africa world cup.

I have a feeling some fans will find a way.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Yeah exactly individuals, most countries have similar Laws but in most countries being drunk in public wouldn't lead to harsh punishments. Think I heard it can get you 6 months in jail in Qatar. Will they be strictly enforcing it during the World Cup, who knows.
Obviously, they'll handle things differently 'cause they're hosting the world cup.

I'm fairly certain I read a long time ago foreigners are allowed to buy alcohol in Qatar as opposed to their regular citizens.
It's not Saudi Arabia.

stevoc

Obviously, they'll handle things differently 'cause they're hosting the world cup.

I'm fairly certain I read a long time ago foreigners are allowed to buy alcohol in Qatar as opposed to their regular citizens.
It's not Saudi Arabia.
Well hopefully it all plays out without much incidents, we'll have to wait and see I suppose.

Demyanenko_square_jaw

I expect the world cup will be a disaster, (presuming it goes ahead) which will serve FIFA and those that took wheelbarrow fulls of cash for it right.

It's not even the human rights, I mean China hosted the Olympics and they're similar.

There's no football culture there, do we even think it'll boost football in the region? It's splitting the club season, will increase injuries and ruin the integrity of those competition.

Just a ridiculous place to have a WC and will damage football generally imo.

Imagine having back to back WC in Russia and Qatar... Time to disband FIFA and come up with new global governing body ?
Keep in mind the time Russia was given the World Cup, it was the most populous country in the world with football as its most followed sport, and a solid football tradition that had not hosted anything yet. Sure, the government was bad and the awarding was certainly steeped in corruption like most of the previous ones had been, but it was a perfectly understandable hosting destination from a sporting point of view. Especially within the overall environment at the time, which was still largely a continuation of the "keep politics and sport seperate" mindset that often prevailed, with little effort applied to setting any kind of consistent internal human rights/not involved in external conflict standard that hosting applicants had to pass. This was the era of US/UK in Iraq and afghanistan, resulting in many thousands of deaths yet escaping any sort of punishment at all. It took Putin initiating a nation-wide war in Europe to finally bring in any sporting bans. Well, not counting the doping bans which were the result of cheating that was coming from inside the structure of the sports themselves, rather than conduct outside of it.

Last edited:

RedDevilMachine

Unfortunately my ballot failed. I looked up the tickets on Viagogo but its ridiculously expensive, they are a ticket touter so notorious for ripoffs. If anyone has a ticket and can't make it to Qatar, and want to sell, PM me. Happy to pay slightly over face value price.

Botim

Supports
Royal Antwerp FC
If ever there was a time to illegally stream football without a shred of remorse, this is it.

The normal punishment for alcohol offences is flogging by the way. The last British person to experience this, was a guy in 1993 who was sentenced to 50 lashes with a bamboo cane. Imagine the sight of 500 overweight Brits simultaneously getting beaten with a stick, will be quite the PR stunt :lol:

peridigm

Just seen a tweet stating that semi-automated offside might be used in the WC. I had not heard of this so I went to YT to see what I could find.

Kopral Jono

As long as the World Cup is still in its current format it's going to be at the very least a decent tournament.

spottieottiedopaliscious

How do you even enforce such a thing. Is it going to be like when I was a kid and you go on an overnight school trip and teachers had to go room by room to check for any hanky panky.