2024 U.S. Elections

Dr. StrangeHate

Setting off a dream scenario for Dems. Trump damages DeSantis, then gets indicted/arrested thereby making both unelectable in 24.
Republicans are pretty shameless, Trump destroyed Ted Cruz and yet Texans still elected him Senator. But yes enough Independents will be put off.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Republicans are pretty shameless, Trump destroyed Ted Cruz and yet Texans still elected him Senator. But yes enough Independents will be put off.
Yep. Trump will have his hard core 20% no matter what happens to him, but races are won by independents, many of whom have already ditched the GOP in recent cycles, so whether in jail or not, there will be few paths towards Trump winning.

Last edited:

WPMUFC

We would be allowed near the office in this state. We would have been forcefully retired. But this woman is still allowed to make laws.

So basically an elected member has no input in the role of an elected leader. She is so medically unwell that shes informed how to vote, i seriously doubt she can even comprehend words on a piece of paper at this point, and scrutiny is obfuscated by unelected aides that probably remind journalists they need to tow the line to keep in the "in crowd".

How are there no congressional rules against this?

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
So basically an elected member has no input in the role of an elected leader. She is so medically unwell that shes informed how to vote, i seriously doubt she can even comprehend words on a piece of paper at this point, and scrutiny is obfuscated by unelected aides that probably remind journalists they need to tow the line to keep in the "in crowd".

How are there no congressional rules against this?
They made/make the rules, she's not the only one, Chuck Grassley is only a few months younger

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
And Strom Thurmond was still a senator at the age of 100.
Had to Google him, so Lindsey Graham took over from him, oddly enough when I move I'll be living in Edgefield County, SC where Thurmond came from!

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Had to Google him, so Lindsey Graham took over from him, oddly enough when I move I'll be living in Edgefield County, SC where Thurmond came from!
He sounds like a lovely guy.

"Thurmond conducted the longest speaking filibuster ever by a lone senator, at 24 hours and 18 minutes in length, in opposition to the Civil Rights Act of 1957."

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
He sounds like a lovely guy.

"Thurmond conducted the longest speaking filibuster ever by a lone senator, at 24 hours and 18 minutes in length, in opposition to the Civil Rights Act of 1957."
So with his successor nothing changed, they still have an a-hole representing them

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
On the Feinstein bit... I have often found it odd there are mandatory retirement ages in some fields and industries yet elected politicians can literally serve into their 90s and beyond if continuously elected, perhaps another "pro" for term limits.

For example, military general and flag officers have a mandatory retirement age of 64 which can be waived up to age 68. Guess we can't be having military generals making critical strategic decisions yet clearly dazed and confused old fecks politicians can until they literally are on life support or dead.
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/10/1253

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
On the Feinstein bit... I have often found it odd there are mandatory retirement ages in some fields and industries yet elected politicians can literally serve into their 90s and beyond if continuously elected, perhaps another "pro" for term limits.

For example, military general and flag officers have a mandatory retirement age of 64 which can be waived up to age 68. Guess we can't be having military generals making critical strategic decisions yet clearly dazed and confused old fecks politicians can until they literally are on life support or dead.
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/10/1253
Well they're not gonna vote to cull themselves are they, it's too lucrative so we're stuck with it

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
People can not vote for them.
Hard to do when the alternate represents a party you're opposed to

Contested Primaries are really the only way but those have flaws as well, the crazies tend to come out and a lot of people prefer what they know as opposed to some of the headcases that run

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Hard to do when the alternate represents a party you're opposed to

Contested Primaries are really the only way but those have flaws as well, the crazies tend to come out and a lot of people prefer what they know as opposed to some of the headcases that run
She was endorsed by everybody who matters from within the party, (Obama, Biden, Pelosi, Harris, Newson). Her Democrat opponent didn't even get Bernie's official endorsement, only from his PAC, and a few house reps. She won that election 54-46, not great for somebody with such massive endorsement, name recognition, incumbency, and fundraising advantages. The only mention of her condition I can find from that time is this, from a clearly right-wing website. The liberals didn't dare mention it at all, so it seems like it was an open secret within the press/political class but they didn't let it come in the way of endorsements or normal press coverage.

It's possible that if someone in the party mainstream broke ranks, with an endorsement or by mentioning this, she'd have been out in 2018 itself.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
So, Ted Cruz is going against the new law in Uganda, concerning LGBTQ-rights.

Cruz is a dominionist himself, and a piece of garbage to boot, but i'll admit death penalties is most likely a bit extreme, even for his own likings, but i must wonder why is he doing this?

Is he feeling nervous about his senate race? One wouldn't think so, he is a clear favorite after all.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
It sounds like a scam. Some of these guys know the base has no interest in them.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Would be interesting if someone like Youngkin enters the race. It would be a pretty wide diversity of candidates across the right of center spectrum.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Not sure how Youngkin makes it diverse. He is DeSantis without the headlines. An absolute monster.
DeSantis is far and away the most right wing of the candidates in terms of abortion and culture wars. He’s had to do so to outflank Trump and gain access to his base. Youngkin is more of a standard chamber of commerce Republican. He occasionally wades into the culture wars but then moves back to regular pre-Trump Republican rhetoric.

The diversity bit would be that the GOP would have Haley, Scott, Christie, Youngkin, Pence, Trump, and DeSantis in the mix, each with their own niche. Youngkin, Scott, and Christie would probably occupy the more centrist lane of that group. DeSantis, Trump, and Pence the right wing, and Haley somewhere in between.

MarylandMUFan

DeSantis is far and away the most right wing of the candidates in terms of abortion and culture wars. He’s had to do so to outflank Trump and gain access to his base. Youngkin is more of a standard chamber of commerce Republican. He occasionally wades into the culture wars but then moves back to regular pre-Trump Republican rhetoric.

The diversity bit would be that the GOP would have Haley, Scott, Christie, Youngkin, Pence, Trump, and DeSantis in the mix, each with their own niche. Youngkin, Scott, and Christie would probably occupy the more centrist lane of that group. DeSantis, Trump, and Pence the right wing, and Haley somewhere in between.
Youngkin won his election solely on the culture war. Trust me, I had to put up with his stupid critical race theory adds for months during the campaign. All he had was critical rave theory and it worked. Now he is sending Virginia National Guard troops down to the Mexican border. Sound familiar?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Youngkin won his election solely on the culture war. Trust me, I had to put up with his stupid critical race theory adds for months during the campaign. All he had was critical rave theory and it worked. Now he is sending Virginia National Guard troops down to the Mexican border. Sound familiar?
Most candidates who wanted to win had to embrace Trumpism to some degree because that’s where the power structure of the Republican Party was and still largely is. The difference this cycle is we are starting to see candidates gradually daring to separate from Trump and MAGA politics. I don’t think Youngkin would be any different than the rest in this regard.

Last edited:

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Most candidates who wanted to win had to embrace Trumpism to some degree because that’s where the power structure of the Republican Party was and still largely is. The difference this cycle is we are starting to see candidates gradually daring to separate from Trump and MAGA politics. I don’t think Youngkin would be any different than the rest in this regard.
I'll never understand why you're so reluctant to see these guys for what they really are, even when they show everyone what kind of person they are.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
I'll never understand why you're so reluctant to see these guys for what they really are, even when they show everyone what kind of person they are.
That's a little simplistic, a lot do what they need to do to get elected, in the recent past they had to appear to embrace Trump or face a huge challenge they might not win, it's the reason why a lot publicly embraced him but off the record privately said what they really thought

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
That's a little simplistic, a lot do what they need to do to get elected, in the recent past they had to appear to embrace Trump or face a huge challenge they might not win, it's the reason why a lot publicly embraced him but off the record privately said what they really thought
But generally those who embrace trump don't just do the talk, they also do the walk, so who gives a shit what they think in private if the final result is the same? Voters shouldn't make excuses for them.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
But generally those who embrace trump don't just do the talk, they also do the walk, so who gives a shit what they think in private if the final result is the same? Voters shouldn't make excuses for them.
Voters definitely shouldn't make excuses, they should point out the 2 faced nature of it, but you can't assume that because they once embraced Trump that is how they would do things if they were in charge

Raoul

Admin
Staff
That’s precisely what we’re doing here. Within the Republican ecosystem, most of them have different approaches, which is why they all can’t all shoehorned into a one size fits all view. Trump and Tim Scott for instance are very different in both policy and demeanor. Same with DeSantis and Christie, and likewise Haley and most of the others.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Voters definitely shouldn't make excuses, they should point out the 2 faced nature of it, but you can't assume that because they once embraced Trump that is how they would do things if they were in charge
Honestly I don't see why not. Desantis has been mentioned as someone who went anti-woke because he wanted the trump base, but look at what he's doing. Why give them a chance in the first place? Why assume the best when time and time again these people have shown they can't be trusted.