2024 U.S. Elections

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I don't think anyone is "underestimating" Trump really. Voters have spoken in 3 different cycles now. And have largely rejected both Trump and his band of crazies. Some are close races yes, a few made it through in deep red states and counties. But, by large it isn't just a "feeling" that we are sick of Trump. It has been shown at the ballot box.

Even with Biden's low approval rating he still had one of the better midterms in decades for any incumbent. And if not for New York it looks like Dems could have kept the House too. Even the GOP are sick of Trump and its obvious. The difference is they created a monster gave him the keys to their fortunes and can't control him. So yes he can waltz right into this race like the Impeachment committee told them would happen.

What is his message going to be that will resonate now that didn't before? Ivanka and Jared are even out this time and want nothing to do with politics. Has he changed? Is he going to be less racist? Just weeks ago he was lamenting the harsh treatment of his Jan 6 mob in jail and courtrooms. So he certainly isn't sorry he sent them to attack the capital. He isn't sorry he took Confidential documents to Mara lago and had to get raided to get them back. He learned and reflected on his years of election denial? NOPE. Hasn't changed still lying spreading conspiracies.

There is visceral HATRED for Trump that motivates voters against him. Meanwhile his supporters he let die from COVID and tainted them thinking elections are rigged anyway.
I mentioned this earlier, he has yet to win a popular vote and he seems to be more and more unpopular. However, its early days and any more misfortune in general American society will only work in Trump's favour.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Do the americans ever stop talking about/having elections? It's non-stop, it must be tiring.

Hamnat

I mentioned this earlier, he has yet to win a popular vote and he seems to be more and more unpopular. However, its early days and any more misfortune in general American society will only work in Trump's favour.
I just imagine him going back to the Battleground states he needs to win this time. Pennsylvania, Michigan, Arizona, Georgia.
Arizona just booted his female botoxed clone and told her no. They have a Democratic Gov, 2 Dem senators now. And trump spent years bashing Arizona calling the elections fake, and rigged. Now they will vote for him?

He wanted Pence drawn and quartered for not throwing away millions of Pennsylvania, Georgia, Michigan votes. Georgia is still trying to prosecute and subpoena people who they think tried to interfere in their elections last time. Lindsey is even today still dodging his subpoena. GOP fear trumps announcement will tank the runoff next month too. Don't see how he will have better chances this time there.

MarylandMUFan

Do the americans ever stop talking about/having elections? It's non-stop, it must be tiring.
It's fecking exhausting. I wish we had a narrow window - say 1 month for campaigning (commercials etc..) for a general election and 2 weeks for primaries. Maybe throw in a bit of time for fundraising but outside of that, they do their jobs the rest of the time (no fundraising, no campaigning). But you know, freedom and all that horseshit.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
The danger is also that Biden is older than Trump and has struggled with appearing cognitively up for the task which has affected some independent's perceptions. It would not be good to underestimate Trump, it's time for vigilance not laughs.
person, woman, man, camera, TV

RedDevilQuebecois

The only regret is that American politics don't have a figure like John Bercow to put overexcited members of Congress back in their place.

This one is my favorite Bercow moment and quite the kind of stuff MTG should receive of a put-down.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
What if Trump offers the vice presidency to DeSantis?
Never going to happen....like ever. Trump's ego will never allow it. He views Pence as a traitor and will choose an absolute sycophant (Lake/MTG/etc.) as his next VP should he get that far.

frostbite

Sounds like a victim of Stockholm Syndrome…
I have read articles and news that refer to Melania like she is a victim or captive or jailed or something like that.

On the other hand, I always felt that her own opinion is that she won the jackpot. She knew very well who she was going to marry. And why. And she had to compete with other women and she won. Sure, things are not perfect. But what marriage is perfect?

In short, I think Melania is as bad as Donald.

RedDevilQuebecois

I also don't believe for one second that Melania is even remotely close of being a victim of anything. Her attitude has been reeking the kind of stuff that led Queen Marie-Antoinette to become hated and even vilified to death by the French people before and during the Revolution.

Melania should feel lucky that Americans are not calling her with the same derogatory words and tone that were used to describe Marie-Antoinette.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
That's going to be fireworks
Maybe he read the tea leaves and doesn't really think he will win the nomination -- so this is why he started the grift early. Maximise revenues whilst keeping costs down as much as possible.

Last edited:

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Doesn’t seem like a serious run at it if this is the case.
He probably does not need a campaign. He has cult following, and he's not really going to convince anyone outside of that. He'll probably still be favorite v Biden in two years time but it will be close (whereas any other Republican candidate, like DeSantis, would have probably defeated Biden easily).

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
I think the GOP establishment who want rid of Trump will wait to announce any candidates (including DeSantis) out of hope Trump will either be indicted or continue losing control of the GOP base. Murdoch has already kicked him to the curb, so it will be hard for Trump to communicate with R voters without the Fox News machine behind him this time. It will be doubly hard if Murdoch uses his apparatus to back DeSantis (which is what appears to be happening now).
Murdoch needs to be not alive anymore he has had his three score and ten and more

mav_9me

Doesn’t seem like a serious run at it if this is the case.
Exactly. This confirms to me that it's a grift. I wouldn't be surprised if after a few months he ends up supporting the leading republican candidate.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He probably does not need a campaign. He has cult following, and he's not really going to convince anyone outside of that. He'll probably still be favorite v Biden in two years time but it will be close (whereas any other Republican candidate, like DeSantis, would have probably defeated Biden easily).
I’m not sure how you can claim this after the midterm results they’ve just had. Trump endorsees performed terribly and despite 8% inflation and high gas prices Biden just had one of the best midterms in history.

Both Republicans and Democrats alike are dependent on moderate independent voters and those have for the most part been horrified with the direction Trump moved the GOP in.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Huh so the midterms didnt just happen?

RedDevilQuebecois

I think it's Richard Hétu (a New York-based correspondent for our media in Quebec) who tweeted the other day that most Republicans swore by Scott Walker for 2016 before he came up on the stage for the first debate in the Republican primaries. He said that because Walker was a disaster off the gate and we all know what happened after that. That being said, it means DeSantis will have to show up with better performances in debate situations should he choose to run.