21s vs Brighton

Idxomer

Mainoo is a great talent, he looked very good playing an advanced role in the 2nd half.

AJ VII

I really enjoyed the game for the most part. Think we dominated the game overall and showed a lot of ability on the ball. But we conceeded far to easy as you often do in the youth teams.

First time I have watched Collyer in u21s so that was exciting. Mainoo I prefer further down in the midle, at the end he was playing as a striker almost.

Shame that Savage couldnt get on the scoresheet as he had several good chances from outside of the box.

Have to laugh everytime I see Huddelstone in a United shirt :lol:

Demaw

Need to give credit to Vitek as well - 2 insane saves in one game. Maybe the biggest goalkeeping talent I have seen at United in my time
I've been saying, and hoping this for a while.

Remember the geese

Completely against the run of play _ Brighton score. Vitek comes rushing out on a counter and misses the ball. Sorry that was awful from Vitek

But why should we allow a player to run alone against our goal after our corner
It was awful, but it's the type of mistake I don't mind seeing from a young goalkeeper. His decision making was poor, but I like that Vitek wants to take responsibility. He is a commanding presence and is proactive. It would be nice if our first team goalkeeper showed that type of character.

Beaucoup

I agree, the few weeks I have watched they look quite average in ability. Quite poor compared to other years.
[/QUOTE

6 out of the eleven shouldn’t be at the club, never mind being in the squad
]

Demaw

Beaucoup, I'm glad you said it, I've been thinking it and I know you have a lot of contacts there. I've been watching, going some of these kids aren't much better than kids I see play local league. Marcus Lawrence, James Nolan, Sam Murray and Ethan Williams I definitely don't get. Sonny Aljofree either. Manni Norkett should never have come back. Yes, he gets a few goals but extremely limited and Ethan Wheatley I'm not sure how he's in there too.

stealthy

Beaucoup, I'm glad you said it, I've been thinking it and I know you have a lot of contacts there. I've been watching, going some of these kids aren't much better than kids I see play local league. Marcus Lawrence, James Nolan, Sam Murray and Ethan Williams I definitely don't get. Sonny Aljofree either. Manni Norkett should never have come back. Yes, he gets a few goals but extremely limited and Ethan Wheatley I'm not sure how he's in there too.
It may not appear the most talented crop but calling individual kids names out is a bit harsh imo, and the names you mention may not make Uniteds first team but could develop and have careers elsewhere.
I think United may well need to improve on recruitment because clearly a wealthy neighbour appeared to have muscled in on local talent, and maybe technical and tactical work could be improved, but they seem to have some good talent in younger ages U14 & 15?

Bigsid

I agree, this is what happens when you reward early development.
So short sighted. A large number of that side matured early and now look technically poor.
Bit harsh that! Its fair to say a lot of these players were more developed at a younger age but that's the limited way recruitment seems to work these days. We are run by the guys who supported Sheffield Uniteds academy where running harder for longer is a key ingredient. When you watch on MUTV you can hear the tactics from the sidelines clearly. The smokescreen of the Youth cup winning side which beat 3 or 4 half decent sides in Everton, Wolves and Leicester meant few paid attention to the cost of this side where few players were homegrown. If its about producing players ready for the first team the current system appears limited with both the 18s and 21s falling well behind our competitors. Some will point out rightly its about producing individuals but the environment to produce these has to be right. How can you produce players for Manchester United if the level of players in our groups is so low? There are talents amongst it. Mainoo being an obvious example.

Mickson

So short sighted. A large number of that side matured early and now look technically poor.

Bit harsh that! Its fair to say a lot of these players were more developed at a younger age but that's the limited way recruitment seems to work these days. We are run by the guys who supported Sheffield Uniteds academy where running harder for longer is a key ingredient. When you watch on MUTV you can hear the tactics from the sidelines clearly. The smokescreen of the Youth cup winning side which beat 3 or 4 half decent sides in Everton, Wolves and Leicester meant few paid attention to the cost of this side where few players were homegrown. If its about producing players ready for the first team the current system appears limited with both the 18s and 21s falling well behind our competitors. Some will point out rightly its about producing individuals but the environment to produce these has to be right. How can you produce players for Manchester United if the level of players in our groups is so low? There are talents amongst it. Mainoo being an obvious example.
United won the FAYC but, overall, it seems like a decade ago that United won U18 and U21 titles. We are nearer relegation than winning those tournaments. I don't think United cares that much about that, though, as the important thing is the develop individuals into the first-team, and to be fair, United does that pretty well. And not only to our first team, look at Angel Gomes at Lille and James Garner at Everton, for example. I guess it is what you prioritize. I have high hopes for the likes of Mainoo, Vitek, maybe Fredricson, Hannibal, Garnacho, Fernandez, so we are doing something right.

Beaucoup

It is about producing individuals, however we don’t have as many top quality players with high potential as we think. If you compares City’s U18 and U21 for example, I recon we would have no more than two players in each age group that would get into their respective teams. We do have a successful U15 team, but again they are probably the most physically developed team in the country at that age.

Zippycup

Need to give credit to Vitek as well - 2 insane saves in one game. Maybe the biggest goalkeeping talent I have seen at United in my time
Is he the reason we haven't invested in a young keeper as number 2?

Connor C

Is he the reason we haven't invested in a young keeper as number 2?
Wouldn’t be surprised. Could genuinely see him being our no 1 in a few years. Got all the tools for success (bar maybe his distribution, but that’s improving and will get there). The timing for him is good as well with De Gea getting on a bit and Vitek only being 18 I think

Reactions: Sultan

lysglimt

Scout
Vitek is many years away from being a realistic keeper for United. You can allow a young winger or a young striker to be inconsistent, but with a goalkeeper that is the most important thing - and that is a thing you get with experience. With the exception of Donnarumma, Buffon and Casillas I struggle to think of a goalkeeper playing regularly at a topclub before at least being in his early 20s

If you look at some of the best keepers in the world today

Allison Becker started played regularly at 23 - and then joined Roma at 24 years of age.
Ederson never played regularly until the second half of the 15/16-season for Benfica - aged 23
Manuel Neuer played regularly aged 20 but Schalke was not an established top team even if they had 1 really good season where they ended 2nd (but miles behind Bayern)
Jan Oblak broke into the Benfica-team aged 22
Courtois was one of the earliest as he played regularly for Atletico Madrid at 19 - but that Madrid-team was nowhere near the quality they are today - even if they improved rapidly already in Courtois' second season.
Ter-Stegen played 3 seasons regularly at Borussia M before joining Barcelona at 22 - but didn't play regularly for Barca until he was 24

So it would be unrealistic to see Vitek in a United-shirt for at least 3-4 seasons - no matter how talented he is. Matej Kovar was/is a highly talented goalkeeper - but his confidence took a serious blow after he made a lot of errors on-loan a few seasons ago - and when he came back to our reserve-team - he looked a shadow of the player he was before. Hopefully he can regain his confidence on loan to Sparta Praha. We only see how a young keeper performs at a much lower level when there is next to no pressure. Some of you might remember Paddy Roche who played for us in the mid 70s - described as one of the best goalkeepers at reserve-level or in away-games. But once he played at Old Trafford - people described him as nervous and error-prone. He simply couldn't cope with the pressure of playing at Old Trafford - to a certain degree, Ben Foster had the same. Vitek needs to show that he has the mentality to play at the highest level. He needs to go out on loan next season