Television 24 - How do you rate it

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
It was truly groundbreaking at first.

Overall excellent if a bit repetative later on.

Needs another mini series in Russia for closure.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Amazing show, went downhill at the end as the format became a bit too much.

what are your thoughts @esmufc07?

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Rewatched them all a few months back. It’s definitely aged but it was revolutionary for its time. Season 5 was the Apex of the show though. Bauer is boss.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Knew immediately where this was headed :lol:

Jagga7

The 1st season was fantastic but it just got more and more ridiculous after that.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
It's a nice thought experiment about how productiveness can go up by a significant amount if you don't eat, sleep or shit.

Tarrou

I've been meaning to get around to watching this for coming on 20 years now..

starting to think it might never happen

Zen

1-3 brilliant stuff..... bit trash from then on that becomes utterly unwatchable mid s6... when a load trashy family twists are thrown in basically.

1-3 just felt organic and natural, it become too much of a twistfest from then on.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Rewatched them all a few months back. It’s definitely aged but it was revolutionary for its time. Season 5 was the Apex of the show though. Bauer is boss.
Season 5 was class, the shocking start to it, 6 was when it got a bit meh and they introduced Bauer’s family.

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
First real binge worthy series as there was nothing like it at the time, it seemed pretty groundbreaking.

Dante

Average bang
It's horrific.

It normalised the ideas of widespread sleeper cells, 'good' torture, and the default evil nature of brown people until proven otherwise.

Shows like 24 greased the wheels of public opinion for acceptance of things like the Iraq War and drone bombings. The flimsy reasons for military action would never have been enough against other peoples or in other eras. But, you know, Jack Bauer gave the public a window into how those societies actually functioned.

Sylar

The jack Bauer power hour

It was a really good gimmick which was fun to watch. 24 episodes for a season is a lot.

It did well but had a lot of shitty side stories away from Jack. His daughter being terrible, the presidents wife story being terrible.

Fun show around the time it came though
And that ticking click was cool

wr8_utd

:'(
Repetitive but great show and one that definitely kept you engaged all season.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
It ruined TV, poisoned cinema and heralded the arrival of Trump.

By crystallising drama to its plot mechanics it paved the way for the modern TV production that saw no need for storytelling.

If the show hadn't been so brilliantly made (at least the first season), then we may have avoided this storytelling dark age.

Bojan11

It's horrific.

It normalised the ideas of widespread sleeper cells, 'good' torture, and the default evil nature of brown people until proven otherwise.

Shows like 24 greased the wheels of public opinion for acceptance of things like the Iraq War and drone bombings. The flimsy reasons for military action would never have been enough against other peoples or in other eras. But, you know, Jack Bauer gave the public a window into how those societies actually functioned.
It ruined TV, poisoned cinema and heralded the arrival of Trump.

By crystallising drama to its plot mechanics it paved the way for the modern TV production that saw no need for storytelling.

If the show hadn't been so brilliantly made (at least the first season), then we may have avoided this storytelling dark age.
Great posts.

Zen

Hardly - blaming a single show for the general dumbed downness of popular culture is a bit odd actually. Things had started to go that way way before 24.

Big Andy

Bloke
24 was great, until it became "12 (plus a 12 hour time jump)"

Needs to be finished properly though, you can't have Bauer rotting in a Russian gulag.

Big Andy

Bloke
I watched all of season 5 on DVD in a day with a mate. That was a long day that started at 7am. I ate a whole loaf of bread in toast form, and drank about 6 litres of tea in the morning, then we got a pizza for lunch, started on the beer and had a curry for tea at 9pm, and we still had 4 hours left.

18 hours of Bauer n one go is almost too much Bauer. Especially when Edgar died and I was high on a mixture of toast, tea, pizza and beer.

arnie_ni

I liked it. Re watched it maybe 5 years ago and it was still good

Parma Dewol

Decided to rewatch 24 for no good reason. It’s really starting to look dated - was it always that grainy? - and the plot is more far fetched than I remember, yet I’m about eight episodes in and can’t wait for the next one!

Anyone new to the show would probably be disappointed, yet for those who remember it 24 still has charm. Felt revolutionary at the time and helped change the TV landscape forever.

Binge watching begins with Bauer. Got to try and get at least one more episode in tonight.

Big Andy

Bloke
Decided to rewatch 24 for no good reason. It’s really starting to look dated - was it always that grainy? - and the plot is more far fetched than I remember, yet I’m about eight episodes in and can’t wait for the next one!

Anyone new to the show would probably be disappointed, yet for those who remember it 24 still has charm. Felt revolutionary at the time and helped change the TV landscape forever.

Binge watching begins with Bauer. Got to try and get at least one more episode in tonight.
It stands up story wise, but it is dated. They still need to do a limited series getting him back from Russia

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Watching a show with more than 10 episodes in a season seems like such hard work these days

Loved 24 back in the day. it was good for the time

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Overall, 7.5 out of 10.

Was completely enthralled with it for the first five seasons, struggled through the rest & the tangents.

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship
It was truly groundbreaking at first.

Overall excellent if a bit repetative later on.

Needs another mini series in Russia for closure.
I binged the whole show over 2 months once Disney Plus came to Poland in June, 100% agree it needs another one for closure, really don't like how it ended for Jack.

neverdie

the best show ever made by the us security apparatus.

more seriously, it is terrible. it played into the worst kinds of stereotypes.

Parma Dewol

Okay, so I started season one for a bit of fun a month ago. Not ashamed to admit, I’m now hooked - halfway through season three!

It’s so contrived it’s untrue, but damn if it’s not gripping! :wenger:

That end scene still hits you hard. Has to be up there with the best TV series finales.

Must be getting more sentimental with age. Tears when George flies the plane to his room!

Only just past the halfway mark but poor Chapelle! And the scenes in the hotel, just brutal.

How do I get out of this loop? I remember the show going downhill in later seasons, but at this rate I’ll still be watching come Christmas.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Okay, so I started season one for a bit of fun a month ago. Not ashamed to admit, I’m now hooked - halfway through season three!

It’s so contrived it’s untrue, but damn if it’s not gripping! :wenger:

That end scene still hits you hard. Has to be up there with the best TV series finales.

Must be getting more sentimental with age. Tears when George flies the plane to his room!

Only just past the halfway mark but poor Chapelle! And the scenes in the hotel, just brutal.

How do I get out of this loop? I remember the show going downhill in later seasons, but at this rate I’ll still be watching come Christmas.
Eject after season 5.