25 years ago today

SaintMuppet

As silk as ginger could possibly be. Technically superb, terrible tackler, and judging by that photo terrible tackle...

Loved him

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Scholes was a machine. Technically he wasn't as good as Zidane but no creative midfielder delivered top performances week in week out like he did

The guy was a genius. His longevity + his transformation from striker to a deep lying playmaker is a clear testament to that. In my opinion he is the best AMC of his generation

pablotatt

Didn't not expect any negativity on here, but I was clearly wrong. An absolutely genius of a footballer.

Halal Jalal

Scholes - 55 assists in 499 PL matches, managed by the greatest manager in history, feeding through balls to Ronaldo, Tevez, Rooney etc. "GOAT!"

Pogba - 25 assists in 99 PL matches, managed by decrepit Jose and Ole from Molde, playing with Rashy, JLingz, Big Rom etc. "Useless wanker, get rid!"

This is not a criticism of Scholes by any means, he's a club legend and one of the best midfielders in PL history. Just pointing out that we may have a superior CM playing for us right now, but about half of Caf can't stop sh*tting on him.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Scholes - 55 assists in 499 PL matches, managed by the greatest manager in history, feeding through balls to Ronaldo, Tevez, Rooney etc. "GOAT!"

Pogba - 25 assists in 99 PL matches, managed by decrepit Jose and Ole from Molde, playing with Rashy, JLingz, Big Rom etc. "Useless wanker, get rid!"

This is not a criticism of Scholes by any means, he's a club legend and one of the best midfielders in PL history. Just pointing out that we may have a superior CM playing for us right now, but about half of Caf can't stop sh*tting on him.
:lol: No we do not have someone superior. Scholes was far better than Pogba. And using assists shoes how poorly put together your argument is.

Halal Jalal

:lol: No we do not have someone superior. Scholes was far better than Pogba. And using assists shoes how poorly put together your argument is.
So comparing creative outlets, managers in charge and squad qualities is "poor argument", I see. "Scholes was far better than Pogba" is how the pros do it ;)

Eric7C

One of the best attributes of Scholes in midfield was that he knew when to keep the ball and when to release it and keep the team going. This also happens to be one of the worst attributes of Pogba who often tries to dribble outside his own box and loses the ball dangerously. Even Carrick was levels better than him in that regard.

Not saying Pogba is not great, just that as a midfielder, Scholes was much more complete. What they do share is their lack of ability to tackle.

Halal Jalal

One of the best attributes of Scholes in midfield was that he knew when to keep the ball and when to release it and keep the team going. This also happens to be one of the worst attributes of Pogba who often tries to dribble outside his own box and loses the ball dangerously. Even Carrick was levels better than him in that regard.

Not saying Pogba is not great, just that as a midfielder, Scholes was much more complete. What they do share is their lack of ability to tackle.
Agreed, honestly. Scholes' timing on the ball and decision making was perfect pretty much, only Xavi and Pirlo are comparable. Also his long pass quality was nearly 100%, rivalled only by Pirlo and Pogba. But those are two attributes, what about the rest? Pogba is the superior finisher, chance creator, dribbler, athlete....

amolbhatia50k

So comparing creative outlets, managers in charge and squad qualities is "poor argument", I see. "Scholes was far better than Pogba" is how the pros do it ;)
Yes. Accurate assessment is how 'pros' do it. Scholes was much better than Pogba despite the difference in envuronment/management. That you need this to be proven to you is interesting though. I'd imagine watching them was enough.

amolbhatia50k

Agreed, honestly. Scholes' timing on the ball and decision making was perfect pretty much, only Xavi and Pirlo are comparable. Also his long pass quality was nearly 100%, rivalled only by Pirlo and Pogba. But those are two attributes, what about the rest? Pogba is the superior finisher, chance creator, dribbler, athlete....
Pogba on paper has everything required to be the best midfielder on the planet. What holds him back and pushes the likes of Scholes and Xavi ahead of him (pretty easily too), is what's between the ears. Whereas Pogba struggles in a situations where there is a lack of time and space for him to languidely do this own thing, those footballers thrive. It's their vision/quick thinking/picture of the play/reading of the game that sets them apart and leaves him trailing.

I do think Pogba is excellent and would be better in a quality team. But he's still not up to scratch and has too many weaknesses as a midfielder to be compared those elite ones. He's also clearly not a central midfielder. I've really never felt he was one. He is like KDB an attacking midfielder. His tracking back, his awareness, ability to run a match just not that of a CM.

Eric7C

I am not sure if Pogba is a superior finisher. Scholes was great at timing his runs into the box. He could also hit a mean long-shot. Not sure we have seen Pogba do nearly anything comparable.

Pogba is a great chance creator when playing in the final third of the field, but he usually tries for glamorous passes. He holds onto the ball a little too long when a simpler pass onto the wings would help create the team a better chance. Of course, the current team is inferior in its movement, so that plays into this dynamic. More movement from our forwards would make him more dangerous.

But still, the point of discussion is whether Pogba is a superior midfielder as you claim, and I think he isn't. He thrives more in a free role up the pitch than being able to do everything that Scholes did - pick the appropriate pass, arrive late in the box and mostly important, control games.

Halal Jalal

I am not sure if Pogba is a superior finisher. Scholes was great at timing his runs into the box. He could also hit a mean long-shot. Not sure we have seen Pogba do nearly anything comparable.

Pogba is a great chance creator when playing in the final third of the field, but he usually tries for glamorous passes. He holds onto the ball a little too long when a simpler pass onto the wings would help create the team a better chance. Of course, the current team is inferior in its movement, so that plays into this dynamic. More movement from our forwards would make him more dangerous.

But still, the point of discussion is whether Pogba is a superior midfielder as you claim, and I think he isn't. He thrives more in a free role up the pitch than being able to do everything that Scholes did - pick the appropriate pass, arrive late in the box and mostly important, control games.
Fair enough, I respect this opinion. At least we can agree it's a close contest - I never claimed that PP is much better than Scholes or anything like that.
Pogba on paper has everything required to be the best midfielder on the planet. What holds him back and pushes the likes of Scholes and Xavi ahead of him (pretty easily too), is what's between the ears. Whereas Pogba struggles in a situations where there is a lack of time and space for him to languidely do this own thing, those footballers thrive. It's their vision/quick thinking/picture of the play/reading of the game that sets them apart and leaves him trailing.

I do think Pogba is excellent and would be better in a quality team. But he's still not up to scratch and has too many weaknesses as a midfielder to be compared those elite ones. He's also clearly not a central midfielder. I've really never felt he was one. He is like KDB an attacking midfielder. His tracking back, his awareness, ability to run a match just not that of a CM.
1. Have you considered the radical development in tactics since Scholes' or Xavi's time? Teams press like crazy these days, even midtable sh*tters. Scholes easily had 300% more time on the ball whenever he felt he needed it, PP can't afford anything like that.

2. Such as? I certainly don't feel like he lacks awareness or ability to run a match, he's won countless of decisive points on his own. Previous season, only Messi and CR7 won more league points per 90 minutes with individual contribution than Paul.

3. In a team worthy of PP, they'd have a midfielder to cover for him. You can't expect a single midfielder to do all the playmaking and chance creating single-handedly, and then proceed to sprint back 50 meters to win the ball back. No one has done that on his own, ever. Where's our Vidal, Kante, Gattuso, Busquets or someone like that? Because Scholes, Xavi, Pirlo and the other midfielders comparable to PP had those, you know.

5/5 today

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
We could really do with him now.

Eric7C

Fair enough, I respect this opinion. At least we can agree it's a close contest - I never claimed that PP is much better than Scholes or anything like that.

1. Have you considered the radical development in tactics since Scholes' or Xavi's time? Teams press like crazy these days, even midtable sh*tters. Scholes easily had 300% more time on the ball whenever he felt he needed it, PP can't afford anything like that.
Sorry to butt in here, but isn't the issue that United are facing the fact that most teams in the league are defending their box, and that our players including Pogba are unable to unlock that defense? Games such as Wolves, Palace and Southampton already this season? It's only when teams play like Chelsea did on the opening weekend that Pogba is able to shine because there is more space. Whereas Scholes (along with the admittedly better teammates he had) were quite adept at opening any kind of defense.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Most overrated player on this forum.

Legend though, fantastic player and we were lucky to have him

Canagel

Great post

AP88

Supports
Man City
Great player, but overrated
*Good player - too many touches then predictable diagonals were basically his game for years; Keane and Carrick were far more effective/important with their default progressive passes into feet.

Very talented kicker of a ball, but that was the extent of it; had Hargreaves and Fletcher been able-bodied, and the Glazer transfer austerity not occurred, he’d have become insignificant a lot sooner.

arnie_ni

*Good player - too many touches then predictable diagonals were basically his game for years; Keane and Carrick were far more effective/important with their default progressive passes into feet.

Very talented kicker of a ball, but that was the extent of it; had Hargreaves and Fletcher been able-bodied, and the Glazer transfer austerity not occurred, he’d have become insignificant a lot sooner.
Requesting a forum ban. This is verging on slanderous

crossy1686

career ending
Up there with Zidane as one of the greatest midfielders ever, and he was better than Zidane.

Anyone saying he's overrated didn't watch him, Scholes was complete in many ways.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Up there with Zidane as one of the greatest midfielders ever, and he was better than Zidane.

Anyone saying he's overrated didn't watch him, Scholes was complete in many ways.
Or is a wum.

Hopefully there are poster purges coming.

Some of the shit posted (football, Covid 19, etc) is getting ridiculous. Opinions fine, backed up arguments fine, clear wumming not.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
Favorite united player of all time. Nor overrated at all. Club legend, stellar career, ridiculous football IQ and best passer i've seen.

Falcow

100% right
I love scholes but dont agree. ZZ was superior. Scholes would be knighted already if he did for England what Zz did for France. WC final 2 goals, Euro winner in 2000, that goal in CL final in Hampden.....come on.

I think you would struggle to find any non united fans agreeing that scholes was better.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Pogba a better finisher than Scholes. Interesting.. He was a real menace in the box, heading no less. The only time he played further up the pitch as a developed player he racked up 20 plus goals. And I'm not even starting on his playmaking abilities and penultimate passes that led to goals.

Last edited:

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
He was certainly one of the best midfielders in the PL era. I wouldn't however rank him alongside the likes of Xavi and Iniesta, as many do. They were a level above
Scholes is in the same tier as Xavi and Iniesta, and I say this as a lifelong Iniesta superfan.

crossy1686

career ending
I love scholes but dont agree. ZZ was superior. Scholes would be knighted already if he did for England what Zz did for France. WC final 2 goals, Euro winner in 2000, that goal in CL final in Hampden.....come on.

I think you would struggle to find any non united fans agreeing that scholes was better.
Scholes had those moments for United, Barcelona at Old Trafford being one of them. He was never given the chance to do for England what Zidane did for France. France built their squad around Zidane, Scholes was pushed out to the left wing for England. He retired from international duty because in his words, his performances out on the left weren't good enough and they wouldn't stop picking him so he took matters into his own hands.

Scholes was every bit the player Zidane was and more. Check Zidane's statistics out also, they're actually quite underwhelming.