"25 Years without a Title" - Can the Scousers beat that?

npresto

25 Years without a Title - Can the Scousers beat that?

We got a lot of stick in the past when we went 25 years between title wins but I would get a lot of pleasure watching Liverpool go 1 year better.

They are coming up on 18 years without a title and are currently in the form needed to actually pull it off.

Could they do it? :eek::eek::eek:

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
It's like they'll double it.

Jacob

I can't see them winning the league for another 5 years at least.

fredthered

I want Peter Kenyon back
We got a lot of stick in the past when we went 25 years between title wins but I would get a lot of pleasure watching Liverpool go 1 year better.

They are coming up on 18 years without a title and are currently in the form needed to actually pull it off.

They'll go way longer.

Theres a strong chance that Liverpool are going to do a Leeds here which many dont seem to see.

If they fail to get CL football this season ( which I think is going to happen ) the club is royally fecked, and you could see their debts cause a mass collapse ( like they werent warned about ).

I am in a bit of a dilemna here. I would love to see a scouse collapse but I sure as hell wouldnt wish a complete meltdown and them going down like Leeds did. I kind of like playing them twice a season. Its what makes supporting UNited fun...

I dont want to see Liverpool do well, but I dont want them to go like Leeds did.

kf

I am in a bit of a dilemna here. I would love to see a scouse collapse but I sure as hell wouldnt wish a complete meltdown and them going down like Leeds did. I kind of like playing them twice a season. Its what makes supporting UNited fun...
You're going soft in your old age Fred. It would be hysterical. I've long dreamed of the day when Liverpool play non league football....

Won't happen though :(

acnumber9

They'll go way longer.

Theres a strong chance that Liverpool are going to do a Leeds here which many dont seem to see.

If they fail to get CL football this season ( which I think is going to happen ) the club is royally fecked, and you could see their debts cause a mass collapse ( like they werent warned about ).

I dont want to see Liverpool do well, but I dont want them to go like Leeds did.

Liverpool won't be allowed to fall into a situation that bad. There will always be someone to come along and rescue them. I also think that despite there poor form they'll still scrape that last Champions League spot and as long as they continue to do that they'll be alright.

kundalini

It gets more difficult to make that breakthrough as time goes on. We were very fortunate that our rivals were Villa and Norwich that season that we won it the first time under Sir Alex. Had it been bigger clubs more accustomed to the pressures of competing for the title then we might not have taken it.

The previous season we should have won the title but fell to pieces while Leeds managed to hold their nerve. That season a lot of big name players couldn't cope with the pressure and our form towards the end of the season was absolutely wretched.

Over the last decade, Liverpool have only managed 1 genuine challenge for the title. If you look back at our long dry spell we had a similar track record with plenty of seemingly strong squads simply not competitive over the course of the season. The only seasons that I can recall that we really should have won the title were the year Leeds won it, as mentioned above, and the year we had the 10 points lead after our fantastic start to the season with Barnes, Strachan and Olsen playing superb football.

Liverpool may find over the next 10 years or so, that they are in contention 3 or 4 times but that the pressure takes its toll on the players during the final run in and they end up with near misses rather than being title winners. Right now, 4 serious challenges over the next 10 years looks optimistic given the state of the club and the gap between their current level and that of those other main contenders.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa

We can but dream that they'll succeed:drool:

fredthered

I want Peter Kenyon back
You're going soft in your old age Fred. It would be hysterical. I've long dreamed of the day when Liverpool play non league football....

Won't happen though :(
Yeah it would be funny to watch, but I like playing them twice a year. Its the highlight of the season..

Without Liverpool, Leeds or City to play each season it would be so dull.

The rivalry is great, its what makes the two games the most important ones of the season and the ones everyone looks for when the fixtures come out.

To lose our greatest rivals would be to lose half the fun..

francobaresi

Yeah it would be funny to watch, but I like playing them twice a year. Its the highlight of the season..

The rivalry is great, its what makes the two games the most important ones of the season and the ones everyone looks for when the fixtures come out.

I kind of agree with you, however, would be nice to see the cnuts get relegated for just a couple of seasons at least, just for the comedy value

fredthered

I want Peter Kenyon back
Liverpool won't be allowed to fall into a situation that bad.
From what I've been reading and speaking to scousers who are in the know, they may not get that choice. Hicks is being an absolute cnut by all accounts, so much so hes struggling to keep Gillette on side, and there are rumours that Gillette wants out but Hicks wont play ball.

If Hicks sticks to his guns and refuses to sell then Liverpool could be in the shit. THey've just committed themselves to £30 million a season in debt repayments thats on top of the commitment to build a new ground which could increase the payments to the banks to something similar to what United have to pay.

If they dont make CL football then they are in the shite big time because theres no way they can afford to survive. If United couldnt survive without CL football theres no way Liverpool can..

fredthered

I want Peter Kenyon back
I kind of agree with you, however, would be nice to see the cnuts get relegated for just a couple of seasons at least, just for the comedy value
I think the best thing would be to see all the scousers sobbing their fecking hearts out knowing they have done EXACTLY what United did in 1974.

Liverpool have always took the piss about that so to see them subjected to exactly what we went through would be great.

But I'd want them back the following year.

( btw, the best scenario would be for us to play them in the last game of the season at Anfield and relegate the cnuts... Now that would be funny )

VP

Ideally we go to Anfield in 2 seasons time with 18 titles knowing a win would give us no. 19 and send them down. Now that would be priceless.

fredthered

I want Peter Kenyon back
Ideally we go to Anfield in 2 seasons time with 18 titles knowing a win would give us no. 19 and send them down. Now that would be priceless.
The stuff dreams are made of

We go to Anfield with us needing the win to make it 19 league titles, and them needing the win to stay up.

Gary Neville scores in the last seconds, the ball deflecting off Gerrards legs looping over Reinas head...

We win our 19th league title. They get relegated.

Imagine that... God couldnt create a situation as uplifting as that...

kf

We could organise a couple of charity games where our kids spank their first team home and away just to keep it going...

Oh my God how fecking fine would that be! :cool:

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...

I know some relish in Leeds' fall from grace but I for one would love to see them return to the Premiership. Heck, if I had a 100million in the bank I might buy them. And get SAF to loan some players.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Impossible to tell. With the right manager and a decent signing or two this summer they could even win it next season. Far stranger things have happened, and they do have talent in the squad.

Each season there are always four contenders, and Liverpool are always one of them.

Colly

I'm 33 and fairly confident of reaching my 40 birthday without seeing Liverpool win the league. They are a long, long, long way off to be fair !!

fredthered

I want Peter Kenyon back
Impossible to tell. With the right manager and a decent signing or two this summer they could even win it next season. Far stranger things have happened, and they do have talent in the squad.

Each season there are always four contenders, and Liverpool are always one of them.
Not if they dont have the cash to strengthen the team they wont be.

They are going to struggle to stay in the top 4 this season, and that will hit them like a kick in the Travellers.

These new owners could have bitten off more than they can chew and more than Liverpool can afford.

It wouldnt surprise me to see Liverpool go completely tits up and that 71000 seater stadium will be as much use as a Walton Job centre.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Not if they dont have the cash to strengthen the team they wont be.

They are going to struggle to stay in the top 4 this season, and that will hit them like a kick in the Travellers.

These new owners could have bitten off more than they can chew and more than Liverpool can afford.

It wouldnt surprise me to see Liverpool go completely tits up and that 71000 seater stadium will be as much use as a Walton Job centre.
Liverpool will almost certainly finish fourth this season. Sadly, its unlikely the Everton or anyone else will get the consistent results necessary to do so, although I'd love to see it.

Regardless, they'll be fine. They don't have the coach to win the title at the moment, but his days are numbered and if they get the right man its not inconceivable that they could be turned into title winners in the near future.

acnumber9

It won't happen unfortunately. Liverpool will still qualify for the Champions League. Despite there terrible run they are only three points behind Everton. I don't see the form they're in at the moment continuing and I don't think Everton or Villa are quite ready for the challenge.