2nd string against Chelsea? Or do we risk more tiredness

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Comparing tennis with football :lol: I’ve seen it all now.

tennis players are in action for about 15 seconds on average, then rest for another 30 seconds in between taking a serve. Yes the length is more but it’s way more stop starting which is way easier to maintain.

anyway the proof is in our performances, the only players who looked themselves were rashford and martial. The rest looked dead.

I have a bad feeling we’re going to run Bruno into the ground and get him injured, then our “confidence and motivation” goes right out the window.
Add to that the fact tennis is a non contact sport and they regularly sit and eat/hydrate and rest through the game.

Berbaclass

100% the right attitude.

I disagree with a large part of our fanbase, we should be taking each game as it comes and putting out our best team in a semi final of the FA Cup.

If Arsenal win it this year they go two ahead of us, if we win, we go back level.

We can still make 5 subs, that is fine for rotating/ resting players.
I want us to win every competition we play in but everything has a price. Is going all out in this game worth potentially hampering our main target?

I want us to win every competition we play in but everything has a price. Is going all out in this game worth potentially hampering our main target?
Of course we don’t know whether it would hamper our league matches. I personally don’t believe it will - obviously neither perspective can be proved correct.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
This is my opinion and I wasn’t being condescending in any way.
I have no idea how old you are...but I wasn’t talking about you. I was talking about me, my preferences and experience.
You are entitled to disagree and have your own opinion.
Clearly you have a different view which you have expressed.
Try not to make it personal eh!
Well, I reacted as I did because it did sound like that and a lot of other posters on here seem to have that attitude. I never take things personally but I do get annoyed by some of the top red groupthink that sometimes goes on here.

I also appreciate the trophy point. However, if you think of that 2016 squad, the FA Cup win didn't do much for our progression.

I think coming through in the clutch for top 4 will be a much more important thing in terms of the squad's mentality because these players failed in a similar fashion last season. Rectifying mistakes of the past is certainly a hallmark of growing and developing squad.

HailtotheKing

I don’t think you are actually familiar with the scheduling of the ATP Tour and demands on the modern elite tennis players.
Exactly, the demands are different, the conditioning is different, they are different athletes who happen to play sport. You can't really compare.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
I think Bruno needs a rest - can always bring him on if needed

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
So we should just forget about it then presumably?

What a stupid thing to say.

You don’t go from 5th to 1st overnight, it takes time to transition into genuine title contenders with how far behind we’ve been finishing. Getting back in the CL is the 1st milestone, and an indication that we are moving forward. You’re inferring that I said finishing 4th is the end goal somehow. I’d like you to point out where I actually said that rather than just making silly comments about clubs I couldn’t care less about.

I will say again because you obviously didn’t read it. Qualifying for the Champions League should be absolute bare minimum...
Those two teams have shown that getting top 4 is not absolute bare minimum. Is there a formula somewhere using that? How about winning trophies as step stone? Just like United under SAF before he started the League domination.

1989-90. Won FA Cup. 16th on the League
1990-1991. Won Cup Winners Cup, Final of League Cup. 6th on the League
1991-1992. Won League Cup and European Super Cup. 2nd on the League
1992-1993. Won the League.
.. and the rest is history.

So if you learn history of Manchester United, there's a pattern there of progress by winning trophies first. We may win Europa League Cup, so there's still a chance of trophy this season though. But claiming scrapping for 4th as absolute bare minimum is frankly BS.

Also learn about Liverpool's progress under Klopp.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
I hope we don't rest our players, they need the experience of winning, and fighting on all fronts, and if that means playing while tired and scraping through games - basically winning ugly, then they need to learn that its what it takes to be at a big club.

Let's win the FA Cup, Europa League and get 3rd!

Berbaclass

Those two teams have shown that getting top 4 is not absolute bare minimum. Is there a formula somewhere using that? How about winning trophies as step stone? Just like United under SAF before he started the League domination.

So if you learn history of Manchester United, there's a pattern there of progress by winning trophies first. We may win Europa League Cup, so there's still a chance of trophy this season though. But claiming scrapping for 4th as absolute bare minimum is frankly BS.

Comparing things to the 90's is a little redundant. DIfferent times. Different team. At this point, it's pretty much a different game.

Again though, you're misunderstanding what I am saying. I am suggesting that for our aspirations to be a top team again the first cornerstone or foundation is continual champions league qualification. Not only to play against a higher quality of opponent but also to allow us to obtain the Sancho's of the world.

DeGea

The consequences of starting a less than strongest team. The injury is suffered by the player who had played the least. Surprisingly.

Now we are chasing the game. With injuries. Chelsea will delay the game now and park the bus and hustle.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
The consequences of starting a less than strongest team. The injury is suffered by the player who had played the least. Surprisingly.

Now we are chasing the game. With injuries. Chelsea will delay the game now and park the bus and hustle.
Bailly head bang has nothing to do with lack of playing time. :lol:

And it seems most people wanted even more changes.

There was no need to play Bailly, the back 4 were fine.

Glad Martial is on. Be good to get Pogba and Greenwood on the pitch Before the 60 min mark.

King Eric 7

Ironically, we should have started Romero. Wouldn't have conceded that soft goal then.

DeGea

Bailly head bang has nothing to do with lack of playing time. :lol:
Of course not, it is purely coincidental but the point is that it is ironic that we make all these plans to protect the players that have played the most and "probably tired and therefore might get an injury" and then it turns out that it is someone else that probably does not make a difference to your overall plans in the first place. Trying to be too clever sometimes rather than keeping it simple. The most important game is always the next one.

kode

I can understand the change of players, what I don't get is the tactics, we have looked very good playing the 4231 why do we need to change it against f... Chelsea. Ole doesn't do himself a favor there

DeGea

This is such a simplistic and uneducated point of view.

Ole has already retained or recruited players who have the mentality he seeks and sidelined those who don't. I'm sure every single player in the squad is desperate to play tomorrow and will tell Ole they are fit and ready. Also 3 months rest is irrelevant in terms of ensuring muscles recover and energy can be repleted during this unique schedule.

Fitness and recovery between games is not about 'mentality' or something you can order through Amazon. It's a zero sum game and takes as long as it takes. I'm very concerned that Maguire, AWB, Bruno, Pogba and Rashford (both just back from injury) are so fatigued, they will pull a muscle very soon if not rested.

There are 4 aspects that Ole and his coaches have to work out:

1. What team do we require (skill and fitness) to beat West Ham next Wednesday?
2. Which players are susceptible to muscle injuries because they are so fatigued?
3. What kind of team will Chelsea put out
4. How much energy and distance covered does our team require (by position) to compete with Chelsea over 90 minutes

Tomorrow's team selection is certainly Ole's toughest selection yet. It's a very complicated algorithm, and if he gets it wrong, we'll end up blowing off the FA Cup as well as guaranteed entry in Champions League. Luckily he has Phelen's vast experience to advise, I'd also give SAF a call if I were him too.
Wow pretty insulting. But it's okay, I will take the moral high ground and move on quietly..

Pav1878

All those who wanted to rest players, feeling good about this performance are we?

Pav1878

Totally agree with this. Those saying fa cup doesn't matter etc are talking rubbish.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Answer to OP is now universally clear:

In the end, there was no strategy available that led to our victory given Chelsea’s extra 2 days rest and our cumulative fatigue.

We should have played our 2nd XI and fully rested all our big guns.

There is no upside to any of Ole’s selection decisions today.

hobbers

All those who wanted to rest players, feeling good about this performance are we?
Nobody wanted to rest the players Ole "rested" in such a half arsed manner before then pissing all over the idea of resting players by throwing them all on to chase the game.

Literally every decision Ole made today was the wrong one. Every single decision.

Pav1878

Answer to OP is now universally clear:

We should have played our 2nd XI and fully rested all our big guns.

In the end, there was no strategy available that led to a victory for us given Chelsea’s extra 2 days rest and our cumulative fatigue.

ole made the worst set of decisions possible.
Disagree. We should have played our best team in our best formation. End of.

Getting beat is for morale and it's important to keep momentum.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
I wanted to rest the starting XI. If he started a second string XI it wouldn’t have been bad even losing 3-0. It’s the fact that he started a pretty strong XI barring a couple of players then brought them on as well and we were still shit. That’s what bugs me more. He didn’t end up resting anyone and the bigger problem is we got a game bigger than this in another two days time.

Godfather

Nobody wanted to rest the players Ole "rested" in such a half arsed manner before then pissing all over the idea of resting players by throwing them all on to chase the game.

Literally every decision Ole made today was the wrong one. Every single decision.
This.

izec

The first eleven was so tired that the second string wouldn't have played any worse. Now we got fatigue for WH as well

Could have said the same. Players needed a rest, Chelsea had an advantage and move on. Nobody would care if we got the top 4 spot and EL to look forward to

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Disagree. We should have played our best team in our best formation. End of.

Getting beat is for morale and it's important to keep momentum.
Would have got beaten because too tired. It’s so obvious.

As for your ‘end of’, I couldn’t give a flying toss.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
The players needed the rest, and in the end Ole rested no one and we were awful. Pretty shambolic stuff all round.
The first eleven was so tired that the second string wouldn't have played any worse. Now we got fatigue for WH as well

Could have said the same. Players needed a rest, Chelsea had an advantage and move on. Nobody would care if we got the top 4 spot and EL to look forward to
Yep! This was also my strong opinion before Arsenal win confusing me. But I’m not paid to make these decisions!

I love ole and stand behind him, but he has royally screwed this up and should do better given all the data and experience he has.

Pav1878

Would have got beaten because too tired. It’s so obvious.

As for your ‘end of’, I couldn’t give a flying toss.
Oh so cos we may be tired is an excuse for just playing a second string and throwing the game? Jeez, like I said before, if fergie had that attitude in 99, there would be no treble. You have to go full throttle for every trophy. We aren't winning the title this year so why not go for what's available?

Why get as far as the semi finals and not go for it? It's insane. May as well have not bothered in the third round either then cos we may be tired by the semi finals!

Oh so cos we may be tired is an excuse for just playing a second string and throwing the game? Jeez, like I said before, if fergie had that attitude in 99, there would be no treble. You have to go full throttle for every trophy. We aren't winning the title this year so why not go for what's available?

Why get as far as the semi finals and not go for it? It's insane. May as well have not bothered in the third round either then cos we may be tired by the semi finals!
100% agree.