3-5-2 formation this season for United?

romufc

I do not think this formation helps us. Imagine building from the back with 3 CB' and Matic dropping in?

Then playing it to AWB?

We all know if we play this formation it will be more of a 5 - 3 - 2 rather than 3-5-2.

The one thing we lacked in all of our games is a functioning midfield, having 2 in there will not help us in any shape as teams will play a 3 and out play us. Ole does not have the tactical awareness to tweak things in game.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I saw on a video today that though we start in a 4231, we currently change to 3 at the back when our fullback tries to get forward.

So if Shaw has to get forward either for attacking or defending purposes - then AWB gets narrow to the central defenders to create a back 3. For example

AWB- Lindelof- Maguire​
-Shaw​

Or

Lindelof- Maguire -Shaw
AWB-

Now this explains to me why Shaw and Wan Bissaka looks so narrow all the time and balls are consistently getting played in to our wider channels with are fullbacks easily beaten. AWB looks more out of position than he ever did because he is playing even less like a fullback.

Whilst I can see why Ole might be wanting to try this out - I dont think this is the way a back 3 should be working.

If the fullbacks come in to narrow in on the CB'S then that just leaves free space on the wings because no one is covering that area anymore.

A back 3 should be created with our CDM dropping inbetween the 2 CB's when necessary rather than the fullbacks doing so.

We all saw Matic dropping as a third CB last season when needed. We all saw our fullbacks defending nice and wide.

Do we see Matic more in the right hand side of a double pivot, or in a position that can add an extra man in to defence when needed?

Do we see our fullbacks wide or narrower next to our CB'S?

I think Ole has got his tactics wrong either by himself or because he wanted to buy a player that he didnt get (a new CDM).

IrishRedDevil

What about McTominay playing his Scottish role.

—————————--—De Gea
——-—--McTominay - Maguire - Shaw
Bissaka ————————-———-——Telles
——————--Pogba - van de Beek
————————-—Fernandes
———————-Martial - Rashford

JB7

Literally any lineup with Luke Shaw in it is nowhere near good enough.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
Literally any lineup with Luke Shaw in it is nowhere near good enough.
Shaw is literally our best ball-playing defender.

Do you want a back line where our players struggle to put one foot in front of the other, let alone carrying the bloody ball?

JB7

Shaw is literally our best ball-playing defender.

Do you want a back line where our players struggle to put one foot in front of the other, let alone carrying the bloody ball?
He just isn’t though is he? He is literally a full back that struggles to defend or attack. The epitome of a nothing player who spends the vast majority of any given game out of position.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours

—————————--—De Gea
————————-—Fernandes
This is something I find alot in fans but why does Van de Beek start deeper than Bruno?

Bruno has that energy, that work ethic and defensive capability to play in CM,dribbling, alongside the short and long passing to open up spaces like the position he was when he set up the goal for Rashford.

Van de Beek for me is a player that wants to move around with awareness, move in to the front line, play quick one twos, find himself in the box to score or confuse the defence by having an extra player they have to look out for.

Whilst I can see VDB covering at CM fine if needed, starting him deeper than Bruno when we have the choice to pick them seems wrong to me. The guy maybe moving around too much to the point we have one less midfielders assisting defensive play during the opposition counter attack.

I think VDB behind the strikers is better with Bruno behind him. VDB can interlink the CM's together, interlink the strikers together whilst also interlinking the CM to the strikers by playing his short quick one two passing.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
de Gea
Lindelof Maguire Shaw
Wan-Bissaka Matic Telles
Donny Bruno
Rashford Martial​

reckon this could work? 3-3-2-2, free flowing, interchanging from wide to central between Donny, Bruno, Rashford & Martial. Matic shielding the back 3, Telles bombing forward, AWB more defensive.

AneRu

—————————--—De Gea
————————-—Fernandes
That's too open for my liking, I think McTominay for Pogba in midfield and then have Lindelof as the RCB will be more solid. Pogba will come in when he has proven, over a number of weeks, the desire and fitness to play. I think AWB will be a weakness but a quartet of Martial, Rashford, Bruno and Van de Beek will be difficult to handle for teams.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

—————————--—De Gea
————————-—Fernandes
Need Fred or Matic in for one of PP, Bruno or VDB

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I know that we will see this formation sometimes this year, and I know that we will get some results with it as well, but god damn do I ever hate a 5-3-2 (don't kid yourself into thinking it's a 3-5-2). It is so defensive. I would rather have extra players in the attacking 3rd, not an extra player in the defensive 3rd. The only way this is truly a 3-5-2 and not a 5-3-2 (and an attacking line up) is if it's like this:

------------------------------------------DDG---------------------------------------
AWB--------------------------------Maguire---------------------------Shaw
-----------------------Pogba-----------------------Matic-----------------------
Greenwood----------------------Bruno-----------------------------VDB
----------------------Martial------------------Rashford----------------------

But something tells me most won't want a 3-5-2 that looks like this, but this is what a proper 3-5-2 looks like. Anything else is a 5-3-2 and defensive and invites pressure

Reynoldo

de Gea
Lindelof Maguire Shaw
Wan-Bissaka Matic Telles
Donny Bruno
Rashford Martial​

reckon this could work? 3-3-2-2, free flowing, interchanging from wide to central between Donny, Bruno, Rashford & Martial. Matic shielding the back 3, Telles bombing forward, AWB more defensive.
That works for me

R77

We'll see three at the back during games a great deal. Starting games with three center backs on the pitch, not so much. Not unless injuries and fitness make it so. Not even convinced that's now tbh. We'll see in a few hours.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

—————————--—De Gea
————————-—Fernandes
This is good. Take Martial out and stick Cavani in. Take Pogba out and use Matic or Fred and I think we could be on to something. Very balanced imo.

Paxi

We have to use Telles. Luke Shaw can turn into a left back when we're up against lesser teams and Telles can turn into a winger. Basically having a lopsided formation. But we look very good defensively tonight and we're quick in attacking.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
We have to use Telles. Luke Shaw can turn into a left back when we're up against lesser teams and Telles can turn into a winger. Basically having a lopsided formation. But we look very good defensively tonight and we're quick in attacking.
Shaws playing in his best position tonight

binary bot
Telles plays the position far better than the other potential wings backs. Knows exactly where he should be.

Paxi

Shaws playing in his best position tonight
I really like him there. I seen him break forward at the start of the match which could be a regular occurrence if we're playing low block teams.

Chief123

This formation is perfect for these type of games. Against big teams away from home who give us space to run into. But that will only be about 20% of our games.

We shouldn’t be playing 3 at the back in the majority of our games. Only in specific situations like these.

Jev

We have some of the things needed to make this formation work now. A ball-playing (preferably two) CB who can pass and carry the ball forward in Shaw and an attacking full-back who can provide a threat in Telles. My problem with this formation is that it's often more like a very defensive 5-3-2 when you have limited CB's like Maguire, Lindelöf and Bailly and defensive fullbacks like AWB.

I still think we should only use this in particular tactical games like this one. Can't see us dominating games and creating chances with it.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Agai
This formation is perfect for these type of games. Against big teams away from home who give us space to run into. But that will only be about 20% of our games.

We shouldn’t be playing 3 at the back in the majority of our games. Only in specific situations like these.
Against big teams away from home.. Are we not a big team?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Same system vs Chelsea please. It gives perfect protection against fast players, and sets us up well on a counter.

paulscholes18

Can keep that system, in “easier” games play Pogba or VDB instead of Fred or McTominay

Dante

Average bang
We started with 3-5-2 and look rock solid.

Then switched to 4-2-2-2 and still looked reasonably solid - but also a lot more creative.

luke511

Looking forward to seeing Greenwood as the right sided striker in the same formation vs Chelsea.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Can Telles play 90'? He looked slightly off pace tonight.

If yes, then I'd give it a try. We looked comfortable in midfield but also in defence (Shaw as CB finally). Telles gives us width on the left, and I'm sure will cooperate well with Rashford. Greenwood will be allowed to dribble a lot from the right with strong cover behind him.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Where are all the 352 neysayers now?
I thought playing an extra CB didn't make us better defensively?

Hahahahahahaha

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Flexibility is.key. Worked last night but in other games we may need to go 4-3–1-2 or even a 4-3-3.
I heard the call for Allegri on here and he was/is a lot more pragmatic than is given credit for.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It only really works for us if we're defending IMO, whether it'll work against teams that come to counter attack us in the first place? not sure.

I seem to remember LVG trying it and we just had 3 centre backs standing there doing nothing all game.