6 realistic signings to improve us?

Walters_19_MuFc

Gary Nevile saying Ole must go out and buy two or three 'experienced players' in January, but who are these players and will they be available?

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c.../neville-solskjaer-man-utd-transfers-17315502

Edit:

With Ole saying he might be looking at some loan deals, I wonder if Bale would be a target. Currently out of favour at Madrid, being booed by the fans, etc. Getting away for a few months then assessing his options in the summer would be a good move.

You've also got Ivan Rakitic and Emre Can who seem to be surplus to requirements at their clubs.

If we're looking to add quality and experience on loan then the following players would be decent moves:

Gareth Bale
Emre Can/Ivan Rakitic
Mario Mandzukic

Martial
Rashford Pogba Bale
Rakitic McTominay
Shaw Maguire Lindelof Wan-Bissaka
De Gea

Romero Tuanzebe Williams Fred Lingard James Mandzukic

Last edited:

M16Red

Not sure what world we live in where we can attract Pogba from Juventus but can't attract Chilwell from Leicester.
I hope we could get Chilwell, if you was him would you go to Chelsea (have been linked) , Man City (need a LB) or Utd (need LB, 2 CMs... Can't be bothered..)

dev1l

I cannot see us signing any Leicester players in January.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
I hope we could get Chilwell, if you was him would you go to Chelsea (have been linked) , Man City (need a LB) or Utd (need LB, 2 CMs... Can't be bothered..)
That's fair yeah, City if they are interested for sure. I don't think Chelsea are up for paying that much for a LB, especially with Reece James in their ranks who's an elite fullback.

M16Red

That's fair yeah, City if they are interested for sure. I don't think Chelsea are up for paying that much for a LB, especially with Reece James in their ranks who's an elite fullback.
Didn't think James was a left back, I also don't think he should be labelled as an elite player, talented clearly but elite??

NoPace

Can is 25, about at his peak with room to improve too. Better than Rakitic who is on decline.
There are rumours Bentancur might get sold and at 22 he's got room to improve and is a smart and committed midfielder. He's the Juve player I'd want more than Can. If Pogba is set on leaving, that's who I'd want to cover a third or so of the fee.

I hope we don't make the same mistake we did when selling Cristiano to Madrid and not get a player in exchange. If Pogba is going to Juve or Madrid I want a talented player coming back as part of the fee. Someone like Reguilon to be our first choice LB or Isco as the man tasked with getting the ball to our front 3 would improve us (and maybe he'd thrive knowing he'll play every week and have the midfield built around him).

Lo Celso seems like a player Mourinho might dislike (and presumably signed to play for his countryman Pochettino), I wonder if we could get him and just let him be the man in our midfield supported by McTominay and the other CM we'd still need. Very talented player and only 23 and if he's just going to backup Dele Alli (and that's assuming Eriksen leaves) seems like he'd be better off leaving with Spurs getting their money back (55M) to spend elsewhere. Not sure who Mourinho would want in exchange from us other than McTominay though, which seems unrealistic as he's an academy product and progressing well.

Pochettino is the only signing I really hope for. January is usually not the time where other clubs willingly give up any decent player. Unless you pay an extraordinary amount of money. Maybe Rakitić could be a quick fix. A balanced central midfielder is the only position we're in dire need of.

I think a more talented manager than Solskjær would be able to coach our current team into a better side.

troylocker

Odegaard
Sander Berge
Haaland
All good players, but I don't think Ole will go for three Noggies after "Cardiff", doesn't matter that these are the three hottest prospects in Norwegian football the last couple of decades. Odegaard is not for sale and has a release clause of 350M Euro, so that's not happening, but the other two should be possible targets already in january. If we were to go for one of them I consider Haaland The dreamsigning. Berge would need some time to establish in the PL I think, but is a really interesting BtB midfielder.

If we signed Haaland we would only need a player like Sancho, Olmo, Fernandez, Havertz or DVB/Ziyech to make a realistic run for top 4 already this season.

Svartzonker

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2022/23
In January:
- Emre Can or Boubakary Soumare, both would be cheap and both would give us one more option in midfield.
- Erling Haaland, get the manchild now or risk loosing him in the summer. I think he would be a instant success and fan favorite. Would add something we lack in attack.

In the summer:
- Denis Zakaria, physical beast and good mobility. Right age and not too expensive.
- Sancho, our main target I presume
- Maddison, if Pogba leaves.

croadyman

Gary Nevile saying Ole must go out and buy two or three 'experienced players' in January, but who are these players and will they be available?

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c.../neville-solskjaer-man-utd-transfers-17315502

Edit:

With Ole saying he might be looking at some loan deals, I wonder if Bale would be a target. Currently out of favour at Madrid, being booed by the fans, etc. Getting away for a few months then assessing his options in the summer would be a good move.

You've also got Ivan Rakitic and Emre Can who seem to be surplus to requirements at their clubs.

If we're looking to add quality and experience on loan then the following players would be decent moves:

Gareth Bale
Emre Can/Ivan Rakitic
Mario Mandzukic

Martial
Rashford Pogba Bale
Rakitic McTominay
Shaw Maguire Lindelof Wan-Bissaka
De Gea

Romero Tuanzebe Williams Fred Lingard James Mandzukic
Neville is talking a good game but he knows deep down that Ole hasn't got in him to be ruthless with the board and demand money to bring in a couple of players with quality and experience in January. I can definitely see Ole being under the cosh throughout December but in the end surviving until the end of the season however not getting what he wants in the transfer window unfortunately.

Last edited:

SteveW

Any competent midfielder would improve us. If they can't find get the right ones in January at least loan somebody in so that we don't have to play Pereira, Matic, Mata etc. We can go through the rest of the season being completely dependent on Pogba and McTominay's fitness.

SteveW

Neville is talking a good game but he knows deep down that Ole hasn't got in him to be ruthless with the board and demand money to bring in a couple of players with quality and experience in January. I can definitely see Ole being under the cosh throughout December but in the end surviving until the end of the season but not getting what he wants in the transfer window unfortunately.
It's going to be a bloodbath. We just don't have the squad to handle all those games. If Pogba and Scott aren't back soon we will really suffer.

Red_toad

Odegaard
Sander Berge
Haaland
All good investments for the future, but our issues are kinda a lot more present time.

As we’re only getting a few loan deals (all covered by Smalling fee), I’d say Juve will be loaning us one of their overloaded midfield.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
All good investments for the future, but our issues are kinda a lot more present time.

As we’re only getting a few loan deals (all covered by Smalling fee), I’d say Juve will be loaning us one of their overloaded midfield.
You're probably right mate.

Eric's Seagull

Maybe they would want to part exchange one of their midfield players for Pogba. I'd take Rabiot in part exchange as he isn't playing many games. Which midfielder would you like to take from Juve on loan?

eltigreFalcao

I reckon there are a number of positions that need upgrade the most: Center mid, Attacking mid, Left back, Right Winger, and improve Center back and Center forward (feck, we need a whole new team somehow).
My strategy would be: try to get two experienced players in Jan, as for today lack of experience and spirit is starting to hurt us. With the posibility of Matic leaving in the winter window, CM/DM is a must. That could be the likes of Rakitic on a loan deal, Eriksen, or another balanced, experienced midfielder of sorts. To that I would add Juve's Can, not that I love him but he can put on a shift and we definitely are lacking numbers in that position. Secondly a RW. I'll also look for someone with experience, and obviously quality (James is all right but I think we can do better, and also use him better as a sub or in particular games, not as a fixture in the starting XI week in week out). I dont wanna say Bale but somehow I get the feeling that he could proove a shrewd addition in a loan deal till the end of the season. And if the posibility arise and we can pounce on a january blockbuster deal, ill try to snap Håland or Sancho. Anyways I'll go for one of them or both in the summer.
Expecting a busy summer with ins and outs, where we may be upgrading in a number of positions (I'm looking at Ndombele, Ziyech, but I'd keep in mind the improvement of the likes of Williams, Greenwood, Garner, Levitt, Gomes. All of them, given the right time, can become integral part of the squad.

Next season
XI (4-3-3): De Gea; AWB, Tuanzebe, Maguire, Shaw; Eriksen, McTom, Pogba; Sancho, Martial Rashford
Subs: Henderson, Lindelöf, Bailly, Dalot, Williams, Fred, Garner, Can, Greenwood, James, Håland, (N'dombelè), (Ziyech)

Last edited:

Red_toad

Maybe they would want to part exchange one of their midfield players for Pogba. I'd take Rabiot in part exchange as he isn't playing many games. Which midfielder would you like to take from Juve on loan?
I’d much rather the club purchased players who fit the exact requirements, rather than taking what’s available on loan.

DoomSlayer

We should be all over a few of the Napoli players, the whole club is in absolute disarray and there is like a civil war between the squad and the owner. Ancelotti has even said he might leave as he is on the side of the players.

The likes of Allan and Ruiz would be perfect for us. :drool:

lysglimt

Scout
If we want to get an attacking player in who would be cheap - we should go for Jarrod Bowen. Good choice for POTY in the Championship if he continues his form. 10 in 16 Before today, and already scored 1 tonight.

Last season he scored 22 in 46 - so 33 goals in his last 73 matches for Hull.

Probably available for £15 million

MetoTTT

I reckon there are a number of positions that need upgrade the most: Center mid, Attacking mid, Left back, Right Winger, and improve Center back and Center forward (feck, we need a whole new team somehow).
My strategy would be: try to get two experienced players in Jan, as for today lack of experience and spirit is starting to hurt us. With the posibility of Matic leaving in the winter window, CM/DM is a must. That could be the likes of Rakitic on a loan deal, Eriksen, or another balanced, experienced midfielder of sorts. To that I would add Juve's Can, not that I love him but he can put on a shift and we definitely are lacking numbers in that position. Secondly a RW. I'll also look for someone with experience, and obviously quality (James is all right but I think we can do better, and also use him better as a sub or in particular games, not as a fixture in the starting XI week in week out). I dont wanna say Bale but somehow I get the feeling that he could proove a shrewd addition in a loan deal till the end of the season. And if the posibility arise and we can pounce on a january blockbuster deal, ill try to snap Håland or Sancho. Anyways I'll go for one of them or both in the summer.
Expecting a busy summer with ins and outs, where we may be upgrading in a number of positions (I'm looking at Ndombele, Ziyech, but I'd keep in mind the improvement of the likes of Williams, Greenwood, Garner, Levitt, Gomes. All of them, given the right time, can become integral part of the squad.

Next season
XI (4-3-3): De Gea; AWB, Tuanzebe, Maguire, Shaw; Eriksen, McTom, Pogba; Sancho, Martial Rashford
Subs: Henderson, Lindelöf, Bailly, Dalot, Williams, Fred, Garner, Can, Greenwood, James, Håland, (N'dombelè), (Ziyech)
So you'll fork 65-90mil for a striker (Håland) to put him on the bench? Still can't see a DM or a DLP in this team.

Eric's Seagull

If we want to get an attacking player in who would be cheap - we should go for Jarrod Bowen. Good choice for POTY in the Championship if he continues his form. 10 in 16 Before today, and already scored 1 tonight.

Last season he scored 22 in 46 - so 33 goals in his last 73 matches for Hull.

Probably available for £15 million
Don't know much about him but 10 in 16 in good record at 22 there is room for improvement. Also his contract is up next summer so may be able to get him cheap.

DoomSlayer

So is noone aware of the Napoli situation? Are there any Italian fans who could give their verdict if some of their players could be available in January?

Eric's Seagull

We should be all over a few of the Napoli players, the whole club is in absolute disarray and there is like a civil war between the squad and the owner. Ancelotti has even said he might leave as he is on the side of the players.

The likes of Allan and Ruiz would be perfect for us. :drool:
How good is Allan in your opinion please and how much do think he would cost?