6 realistic signings to improve us?

TrustInOle

Maddison, Sancho and Matuidi would be my Options. Would cost a bomb for the first 2, but Matuidi would be on a free.

Matuidi.....Pogba
Sancho.....Maddison....Rashford
Martial
Goals, creativity , pace and pressure. Would immediately improve us going forward. Would also take a sniff at Cavani on a free, mainly because I've got a soft spot for him.

settembrini

Why aren't they realistic? We're one of the richest clubs on earth. How do people think City and PSG got Aguero and Neymar respectively?
We could afford to buy either Kane or Sancho. We would have to wait until summer and their clubs would have to be open to selling and we would have to put the bulk of our transfer budget into one player but we could afford it.

What I doubt we could do is persuade either of them that they should move to United over all the other top clubs that would be competing for their signatures.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Maddison, Sancho and Matuidi would be my Options. Would cost a bomb for the first 2, but Matuidi would be on a free.

Matuidi.....Pogba
Sancho.....Maddison....Rashford
Martial
Goals, creativity , pace and pressure. Would immediately improve us going forward. Would also take a sniff at Cavani on a free, mainly because I've got a soft spot for him.
Neither Pogba or Matuidi are DM's, both bomb forward and like to drift wide. We wouid be very vulnerable to counter attacks. Even City who use 2 AMs in CM still have an established DM to break up counter attacks.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Why are people mentioning Dier? That ship has sailed, injuries have ruined him he's too slow and can barely move now.
I have come into this thread today and cannot believe how many times Dier crops up. There is a reason why he has fallen down the pecking order.

The Original

1. Chilwel/ Van Aanholt at left-back. Both are decent defenders who offer more than Shaw in attack

2. Adama Traore - such a powerful player...uncontainable when he gets going and has been effective down the right for Wolves this season. Still only 23.

3. Ndidi - excellent ball-winner to complement a stronger defense, allowing the attacking players to flourish.

Halal Jalal

We need at least 4 signings, and a new manager obviously.

Manager: Allegri

Martial --- Dembele -- --Ziyech

Pogba ------ McT ----- Emre Can

Shaw -- Maguire -- Söyüncü -- AWB

-------------- DDG--

Eventually we'll need to find superior replacements for De Gea (Onana), Shaw (Sarr, Hakimi), McT (Ndidi, Zakaria) and Maguire (Demiral). We're not getting Sancho or Dybala, so I've only picked realistic signings.

M16Red

Whoa who is that guy?
There's signs of brilliance from his dribble and shooting technique. Bring him on deck as our #10
He looks good doesn't he!, but my real hope is Pogba plays there. But if we get rid of Linnothing and Nada we should get chap in, just turned 21 in June.

Red_Orchestra

He looks good doesn't he!, but my real hope is Pogba plays there. But if we get rid of Linnothing and Nada we should get chap in, just turned 21 in June.
He looks absolutely class, he certainly has that X-factor that we've been missing since the past decade. I gotta start watching more QPR games. I wouldn't mind signing another left midfielder.

Mark Pawelek

Samu Chukwueze
He's one of your suggestions.
Pluses:
  • fast
  • ripped
  • tricky dribbler
  • good left-foot shot
  • still only 20.
Downsides:
  • current contract runs to June 2023. How much would Villarreal demand?
  • passing looks weak
  • never seen him cross
  • defensive skills need worked on
Have you seen him play over a full match?
If he's so good, why hasn't he started every Villarreal game this season?
How does he compare to our other wingers like: James, Chong, and potentials like Elanga and Ramazani?
Why pay ~ £30m (I'm guessing) for this guy, who's not the finished article, when we already have potentials (Chong, Elanga, Ramazani)?
Aren't we better served buying Jarrod Bowen, or Ryan Fraser - who already have English league football experience, contracts expire next summer, will cost less, currently have better all-round game than Chukwueze?

Craig Ward

My ideal 3 signings would be:

Maddison
Sancho
Rice

Noticeable problems - all young, all English, all will cost a fortune.

I'd say of the 3 the most valuable signing we would make would be Maddison.

Rice im sure there would be alternatives for the CM/DM role. Sancho would transform us and we are lightweight on numbers in attacking fronts.

a front 3 of Rashford/Martial/Sancho sounds amazing with Greenwood/James also around the squad.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
My ideal 3 signings would be:

Maddison
Sancho
Rice

Noticeable problems - all young, all English, all will cost a fortune.

I'd say of the 3 the most valuable signing we would make would be Maddison.

Rice im sure there would be alternatives for the CM/DM role. Sancho would transform us and we are lightweight on numbers in attacking fronts.

a front 3 of Rashford/Martial/Sancho sounds amazing with Greenwood/James also around the squad.
McT is already better than Rice.

Lynty

My oringal 3 (in order of priority) were:

1.Sancho
2.Maddison
3. McGinn

I now think Sancho is only realistic if we qualify for Champions League and continue our recent form for the remainder of the season. If he isn't available, strengthen elsewhere and add a backup forward as 3rd priority.

Maddison is going to be mega money now that Leicester are looking to cement a spot in the top 6 - if he's open to a move, should be our number 1 target to replace Pogba, who is surely departing. But I no longer think Maddison is realistic. Investing in creativity should be priority if Sancho and Maddison are unavailable. Isco seems to be searching for an exit and would add some much needed experience to our attack. Another option would be returned for Bruno Fernandez if he replicates last seasons form.

I think McGinn remains realistic and would be an upgrade on Fred, but the struggles of Southampton and Wolves open the possibility of getting Neves (who will surely move at the end of the season) or Ward-Prowse on sensible deals. Any one of those would be sensible addition to our midfield, though McGinn would still be my pick.

Bonus player - Manzukic should be brought in during Jan, but only on a loan. A 3rd/4th choice striker should be purchased in the summer incase of first team injuries - really miss Hernandez for this. If available, Jarrod Bowen and Mitrovic would be good signings, but not sure if they'd be happy sit on the bench. Redmond would offer cover across the front 3 and will certainly be available, but he doesn't have the goal pedigree despite being a dangerous player.

New list:

Isco (if Sancho and Maddison are unavailable)
McGinn
Mitrovic

Last edited:

M16Red

He's one of your suggestions.
Pluses:
  • fast
  • ripped
  • tricky dribbler
  • good left-foot shot
  • still only 20.
Downsides:
  • current contract runs to June 2023. How much would Villarreal demand?
  • passing looks weak
  • never seen him cross
  • defensive skills need worked on
Have you seen him play over a full match?
If he's so good, why hasn't he started every Villarreal game this season?
How does he compare to our other wingers like: James, Chong, and potentials like Elanga and Ramazani?
Why pay ~ £30m (I'm guessing) for this guy, who's not the finished article, when we already have potentials (Chong, Elanga, Ramazani)?
Aren't we better served buying Jarrod Bowen, or Ryan Fraser - who already have English league football experience, contracts expire next summer, will cost less, currently have better all-round game than Chukwueze?
I've watched him a bit this season he's been playing off the bench, i like him because he's left footed we don't have a lot of left footed players. He is very direct, your right he doesn't cross a lot, its all because he's more of a forward left and he moves cross to the 10 position. Really is a direct footballer and that's the point he occupies the opponents.

Chong, I'm going to say something here many will disagree with! He isn't good enough and I don't know if he will ever be.. I hoped he'd get better but he hasn't kicked on and I watch a lot of U23 football.

Ramazani, he has really kicked on and I like him on the right. Very tricky player and direct I'd love to see him with the first team.

Fraser, I also watch Bournemouth not because of Fraser but Lewis Cook who is a very underrated player and is key to England U21. Fraser is also a good player one less than asset Hazard last season although seem to remember him on the left a lot last season.

Bowen, there is a thread on him and there is a is an ex season ticket holder in there and I asked him last season if he was good enough and he said no, I asked him again this season he said he'd have nothinggard over him :lol:! I say buy him and see - worth a punt we need players. He's not the quickest.

Craig Ward

McT is already better than Rice.
Arguably yes.

Our biggest issue in recent times is quality squad depth so just because we have ONE quality player per position.

So im sticking to my list.

McTom could play further up as well

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Maddison
McGinn
Moussa Dembele

I don't see Sanchez as realistic and can't for the life of me think of another winger - I also think Dan James could be the guy so

The Irish Connection

There are good options out there at the moment with regards talent, age and contract situation, so January signings mightn’t be as unlikely as usual. Lots of decent names have been mentioned in this and other threads.
If we were smart we could pick up some good players for relatively low money.
The lad Bowen from hull could be a good punt. I would see if Erickson wanted to come. I would do our best to sign Haaland, if they won’t let him leave in January, could sign him for the summer and get manzukic in on loan til then.
And a decent midfielder with good passing ability and can defend, Tonali, Zakaria, Phillips among others mentioned.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I've got no names but I do have positions that evidently need to be improved upon.
We need a two central midfielders,one right sided attacker and another forward.
I wouldn't be against bringing in a left back either.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Stanislav Lobotka. Press resistant, metronome, technically proficient, guile.

Martin Ødegaard. Playmaker, elite technical ability

Alex Telles. Amazing crosser, and can break the lines with his passing. Could also be one to take corners (Left back)

Baneofthegame

Stanislav Lobotka. Press resistant, metronome, technically proficient, guile.

Martin Ødegaard. Playmaker, elite technical ability

Alex Telles. Amazing crosser, and can break the lines with his passing. Could also be one to take corners (Left back)
Don’t think we could get Odegaard, but the other two are certainly interesting.

Obiorahking_

Fernandes
Kalvin Phillips
Jarrod Bowen

Ideally Kalvin and Bowen are backups in long run but are better than what we have.

Sell fred and Lingard

Last edited:

Dante

Average bang
I see McGinn's name mentioned in here a lot. I really like the guy, but don't think he'd improve us that much. He'd be a poor fit for the players he'd playing alongside.

McGinn is good at late runs into the box and high risk/high reward passes in the final third of the pitch. His workrate would be a great match, but his ability to protect the ball in possesion and play line splitting passes isn't good enough for what we desperately need.

Unlike City, United don't have any creativity in the frontline. And unlike Liverpool, we don't have any end product at LB or RB. United's only chance of building a functional unit from our current squad is to pack the midfield with playmakers.

McTominay can do it over short distances at a high tempo (just don't ask him to be our Xavi like he tried to be today). Pogba's passing tempo needs to improve, but I think he has the potential to get there. Fred, Pereira and Matic are nowhere near good enough. McGinn wouldn't be either at the specific qualities we're lacking in the middle of the park.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Left back is not our biggest worry at the moment but I think Chilwell is a player that is certain to be good enough for a club with our ambition level. Worry that he will be out of our reach, and a Chelsea/City-target.

Last year he made more sprints than any other player in the PL. That is a trait I really like in a fullback. His quality on the ball is also reflected by the fact that he is the most involved player at Leicester this year. No player have more passes than him. He is also heavily involved in their attack. His xgbuildup90, a measure of how involved a player is in attacks leading to a chance prior to the assist, is at 0,48. Their creative midfielders, Tielesman and Maddison, is at 0,25 and 0,24. He also has an xa90 of 0,17. The highest among the Leicester players playing regularly. In other words, he is clearly their most creative player.

Adding creativity at fullback, considering the lack of creativity elsewhere in the team, could be vital for us. We probably made a mistake this summer bringing in a fullback who do not add creativity at all.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Maddison, Sancho and Haaland
This would be the dream. It could be done for less than £300m. A lot of money but we've underspent for a few seasons now. Taking advantage of one of the many free transfers available as well, we could massively improve the team.

4. (Optional - Check how Haaland develops until end of season. Though OGS doesnt want a typical striker, maybe we can play with a poacher after all. If OGS is still here next summer of course. BTW aside from clinical finishing can someone add if he has at least a little from the Kane ability to involve the others and keep the ball while the others come for the counter?
His passing looks excellent from what I've seen, although with the obvious scepticism about highlight reels. He's rapid as well. Doesn't look like a poacher at all to me.

Last edited:

NFM

RvN ( 2001) or Hughes ( 1985) plus
Cantona ( 1995) or Scholes (1999) plus
Rio ( 2007) or Pallister (1993)

Totally different team with 3 additions of this stature in the spine. It will take £300m to get the equivalents today, but what a difference it will make.

Xaviboy

Need to focus on midfield in January. I would try get 2 in if possible and offload Matic.

I would chance Emre Can if we can get for 30 mill. Think he will bring energy in to midfield and would be needed for games we may struggle to control due to opposition keeping the ball.Offload Matic. If Pogba does stay then bring in Toneli. Looks like a good young prospect and someone that can dictate play with his passing.

Midfield after Jan window closes:
Pogba
McTominey
Fred
Perreria
Can
Toneli

Next summer if Pogba goes then bring in a creative midfielder as replacment along with another centre forward or a 10 and right sided midfielder.

kidbob

Need to focus on midfield in January. I would try get 2 in if possible and offload Matic.

I would chance Emre Can if we can get for 30 mill. Think he will bring energy in to midfield and would be needed for games we may struggle to control due to opposition keeping the ball.Offload Matic. If Pogba does stay then bring in Toneli. Looks like a good young prospect and someone that can dictate play with his passing.

Midfield after Jan window closes:
Pogba
McTominey
Fred
Perreria
Can
Toneli

Next summer if Pogba goes then bring in a creative midfielder as replacment along with another centre forward or a 10 and right sided midfielder.
Emre Can may be one of the worst players to ever play the game.

Mylock

Stanislav Lobotka looks like he could be a great signing. Wouldn't cost a fortune, ideal signing very composed, good in possession, a very good reader of the game, great at breaking the lines, great passer. Giggs raved about him after the Wales Slovak game. Hopefully, he advises Ollie as he did on James.

Last edited:

Yagami

Good post resistant
Barcelona fans like him, but apparently Valverde has different views, because Arthur was not even in the bench in the last three games.
True, but it seems this will be Valverde's last season, and the club itself view Arthur as a key player in regards to their future, so, like Woodward with Martial when José wanted rid, I can see the club blocking any potential sale unfortunately.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Arthur/Maddison, Neves/Ndidi & Sancho would be lovely. Would prefer Ndidi over Neves.
Individually those might be realistic, but together they are anything but realistic. I don't think the club will turn things around.