6 realistic signings to improve us?

Dve

There are an incredible number of players that would improve us. Almost unlimited in certain positions. But we will sign Sean fecking Longstaff (who isn't one of the ones that would improve us) or nobody because we are a disgraceful shambles.
Stop being so f.ing pathetic. It´s annoying.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I know I'm day dreaming but the shit link about us going for Neves and Jimenez has me hoping. I don't even care if we splash 150m on both. The idea of having a midfield of Neves Fred and Pogba with an attack of Rashford Jimenez and Greenwood is insane.

Do you guys think Neves and Jimenez this January a possibility if we splash cash

Paul_Scholes18

I know I'm day dreaming but the shit link about us going for Neves and Jimenez has me hoping. I don't even care if we splash 150m on both. The idea of having a midfield of Neves Fred and Pogba with an attack of Rashford Jimenez and Greenwood is insane.

Do you guys think Neves and Jimenez this January a possibility if we splash cash
I don't think those two are good enough to get us to the level we want. It is a bit like Maguire signings.
Nuno is a very good coach getting the best out of them though and I doubt we would get the same.

Gavinb33

I don't think those two are good enough to get us to the level we want. It is a bit like Maguire signings.
Nuno is a very good coach getting the best out of them though and I doubt we would get the same.
Honest question did you think Mane, Wijnaldum, Henderson and VVD would take the Scouse to the level they are currently as I certainly didn't and they are all key players for them signed from unfashionable clubs from the premier league

SamVimes

Honest question did you think Mane, Wijnaldum, Henderson and VVD would take the Scouse to the level they are currently as I certainly didn't and they are all key players for them signed from unfashionable clubs from the premier league
Being coached properly? Yes. Mino Raiola was not far wrong when he said this Club would ruin the best players. We are essentially a media company that side lines in football.

Paul_Scholes18

I rated Mane for sure as a top player given how well he played for Southampton. Wijnaldum not so much and I still didn't rate him much for Pool before last season. Henderson I thought was pretty good at Sunderland, but of course maybe not world class level. I feared VVD could be really great, but of course he has been way better than I expected.

I think the best example is Robertson though. I couldn't see him turning that great and at the start when Moreno played over for half a season I thought he was just a poor waste of money. I guess that also show what good management can do with players that two years later he is one of the best fullbacks in the world. He mainly got the chance due to Moreno getting injured and then there was no way back for Moreno once he returned.

Jiminez can maybe do the Firmino job for a club though as he is a very smart player, but not expecting him to bang the goals in for a top side. Some players develop at late age so he might improve on that just like Vardy did. I would certainly take them both to our clubs, but not sure they are worth spending insane amount of money on.

Andersons Dietician

I don’t think Neves is someone you buy on a whim. Certainly not someone you make a cheeky enquiry about to see if you can force through a move in 20 something days. If we were interested I would have imagined there would have been months of work already gone in to this which makes me think it’s just a complete BS story made up to get clicks.

Svartzonker

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2022/23
Neves is a solid player but not good enough if we want to challenge for the league in the near future. Would probably cost an arm and a leg too.

But what we have avaible at the moment I would welcome him with open arms. The state of our midfield is depressing as feck.

Chimmychenga

Grielesh more than likely than maddison to come January,I like him think he would relish in a United shirt can score too

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Neves isn't good enough and I don't understand why people keep mentioning him. There's much better players that could be bought for reasonable sums in comparison to the average Neves.

Jibbs

I think we will get Fernandes and Jiminez in January and Neves, Maddison and Sancho in summer.

I am day dreaming.

Hawks2008

Really wish we would stop targeting overrated and overpriced PL players but evidently Ole and the scouts only use MOTD to find players. Not every player can cost 70m+, we have to be smarter with our money.

Denis79

Any midfielder would help us right now. Way too thin in that position. Not buying or loaning one this window would be negligence.

Son

With Mata on his last legs Dani Olmo looks like a player who can cover both CAM and RW position... Looks to have more pace than Grealish and would be available for a decent sized fee you’d assume.

enurs

Right now it looks like we are getting 3 players.
Neves
Jaminez
Bruno Fernandes

It will happen and everyone will be happy.

Crashoutcassius

Sometimes I wish this club was run by its supporters. There are so many good players out there we could/should buy. Many here seem aware of it. Although the process of getting a few of them might be a bit more complicated than we like to think I still think the fans here would fix the problems quicker than the Glazers and Woodward does.

My top three pick for most realistic signings that would also fit in and help rebuild. Would also need to get rid of a load of deadwood, but that’s for another thread I guess. Same with the debate over Solskjaers future, which I firmly believe should stay. Not his fault. Problem goes MUCH deeper and higher up in the system. But anyways...
Grealish. Adds creativity and drive forward. Has become quite the leader at Villa and has grown lots. Probably the most "classic" United signing today. Would do so much for us. Great player and character to have. Imagine him instead of Jlolz...
McNeil. Why was he let go again? Seems to be a huge talent whenever I watch him. Hard worker, good technique, great crosses. Cant believe he was here... Another expensive mistake we should fix. I really like the way he plays and moves. This might sound weird, and I don’t mean in terms of ability or potential, But there is something about him that reminds me of a young raw hybrid between Beckham and Messi. Yep, sounded weird...
Godfrey. Big talent. Ball playing. Been a talent for years. Would be great to have him and Tuanzebe as our future center backs. We also have some other talents in our youth squad. As always. If only more of them took the last couple of steps. The so-called partnership between Maguire and Lindelof isn’t working.

A couple of personal favorites that I would LOVE to see in United, but not really consider to be "realistic".
Sancho
Sangare
Phillips
Soumare
Pozo
Ziyech
Lundstram
Danilo Pereira
Fabian Ruiz
Houssem Aouar

Seeing a lot of the same names popping up again and again here. I agree on some, not all.
Kristoffer Olsson seems unrealistic. Have not seen him myself but judging by stats, nothing special. And why go to Russia after mediocre years in Sweden if you’re that good?
Bruno Fernandes would have gone to a top team already if he is actually that good. Seems he is not now. Media/fans hyped.
Dani Olmo would be good, but most likely goes back to Spain. Why join United if some of the top teams in Spain wants you?
Frederico Chiesa makes too much sense for United. I dont believe it at all. Just like buying Sancho, Zakaria, Saul or Ziyech. For that matter even Grealish/Maddison. Not gonna happen. Would love it, but wont. Most perfect and logical signings in the eyes of fans rarely happens. We would have both Odegard and Haaland by now if it did. Those two would fix our biggest problem easy.
But instead we might go for Longstaff or Emre Can...
Supporters thought schneiderlin and schwein and depay darmian was the best summer ever. They wanted to pay 80m for William carvalho who finally had an okay world cup years later, and 50m for Renato sanches who couldn't play for swansea. Strootman and Vidal were the miss of the century at the time. The caf has an absymal record with players, as soon as the posts start coming in that a player is a one we should be signing at all coets, watch that players career fall apart.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
If the Jiminez story has legs, then we should look to close that deal.
Bruno Ferdandes is realistic, though i wonder what would've changed from the summer window. For the same position, Dani Olmo is too.

In addition, our priority is CM and i'm not sure who to go for there. Thomas Partey's name has been mentioned, but i doubt Atleti would sell mid season. Emre Can is a nothing player for me and i hope we steer clear. Maybe Soumare could happen, though i havent seen enough of him myself, just going on what i've read on here.

Fosu-Mens

Supporters thought schneiderlin and schwein and depay darmian was the best summer ever. They wanted to pay 80m for William carvalho who finally had an okay world cup years later, and 50m for Renato sanches who couldn't play for swansea. Strootman and Vidal were the miss of the century at the time. The caf has an absymal record with players, as soon as the posts start coming in that a player is a one we should be signing at all coets, watch that players career fall apart.
The club bought these players.

And some people on here are more right than not regarding players and their actual ability, meaning that they actually look at a players abilities and decisionmaking etc outside a 10 min youtube video. If one disregards the need for contacts in the footballing world, i would guess that we would have been far better off by following some of the transfersuggestions made here compared to our blind fumbling.

MiracleInMadrid

Obviously influenced by rumours, but I would go after Jimenez, Can and Eriksen. I think it is realistic. I don't think the likes of Maddison and Grealish will be sold in January. Leicester would be foolish to sell now with the season they are having, and Villa are too dependent on Grealish to sell him now. Would take crazy fees to buy those two. A lot of people seem to think that Eriksen is a finished player. In the summer he has an entire group stage in the Euros at his home country, and is a player whose attributes can be usefull into his thirties as well. He is proven in the league, works hard, is good at pressing, good setpieces, a threat from distance, and above all a visionary playmaker. Exactly what we need.

All though I would like us to buy a proper left back, the three I mentioned would fix a lot of our problems straight away.

RedDevilRoshi

Personally I believe the below 3 can be brought in during this window that can vastly improve us.

Neves
Grealish
Jimenez

Whether we do it, is another story although seems unlikely that we will.

croadyman

With Mata on his last legs Dani Olmo looks like a player who can cover both CAM and RW position... Looks to have more pace than Grealish and would be available for a decent sized fee you’d assume.
Amazes me that this guy is still on the market with the talent he has,my gut feeling says he will go back to Barca in the end.

Mark Pawelek

1. Leandro Paredes wants to leave PSG this month

2. Josip Ilicic, 31 (dob: 29-Jan-88), Positions: attacking midfield, 2nd striker. Serie A: 10 starts; 919 minutes; 9 gaols, 3 assists. Contract with Atalanta: expires: 30-Jun-2020; Last summer Napoli ... reportedly, offered him a 3-year contract worth €2.5m per season.

3. Éver Banega. Age: 31 (dob: 29 June 1988). 18 La Liga starts in central midfield for Sevilla. 6 assists and 2 goals. Contact expires 30-Jun-2020.

4. Liam Walsh. Playing for Coventry; on loan from Bristol City. Loan expires in May; Bristol City contract expires in June 2020. 14 League 1 starts. 2 goals and 2 assists. Averages 56 passes per game at 81% success. He'll do a much better job in central midfield than Andreas. Given his contract is nearly up he'll cost pittance.

Last edited:

DRM

We need attacking players badly. My preference would be:

1. Hakim ziyech
2. neves and jimenez
3. Grelish and maddison in the summer

enurs

What we need is a nr 10 more than anything. Then a new midfielder and a rotation player.

Nr 10: Seriously, get Hwang from Salzburg. Fantastic player with huge potential. Can also play forward.
All round midfield I would go for Neves. Perhaps not the best player in the world but he would do the job and can play all positions in the midfield.
Rotation player we can get in Kalvin Phillips. Perhaps offer Garner on loan as part of the deal.
Not sure about Neves but the rest we can get in January and they will improve us. Instead of going after world class player or the best one we should focus on improving the squad so we can fight for top 4, EL and the cups.

Walters_19_MuFc

I'd sign four.

James Maddison - 80M
Fabian Ruiz - 70M
Callum Wilson - 30M
Steven Bergwijn - 40M

= 220M

Martial
Rashford Maddison Bergwijn
Fabian
McTominay
Shaw Maguire Lindelof Wan-Bissaka
De Gea

Romero Tuanzebe Young Fred James Greenwood Wilson

Rauður Djöfull

We need players in January but that is looking doubtful so far, which should be totally unacceptable by the fans and by OGS (but than again he claims to have final say in these matters).

I think if we got in two to three players we could be getting top four for sure and no matter what we should be going for two midfielders. Yes January is hard but a lot of clubs do business in January and we have money so the owners and Woodie can just cough it up and OGS should be rocking the boat and demanding reinforcements, rebuild is not done by buying 2-3 players in the summers only, besides we clearly are ready to overspend in summer (ex. Maguire) so why is the club not ready to do so in January? Yeah sure pre-season and adapting takes time and all, but we'd still be better off I reckon and than even better for them come next season, looking at last season now and how we got no one in that January, we could have maybe made top four if we had strengthened like people wanted.

There is a lot of talk about not buying more deadwood and only buying players ready for the first team so we can dump some current first teamers to the bench thus elevating the squad individual quality, and while I see the logic and agree that we should not go out and just buy anyone, there should be some players available in January that can play a part not only in securing top 4 this season but also in future seasons, and they don't all have to be young and english and it still should not stop the club from going after more in the summer. Reality is that we most likely need a top manager/coach in as well as 5-7 addition to the squad at least while also getting rid of a few.

So this January I can see how getting Grealish or Maddison as something that is hard (aka expensive) to do. But I don't see why we are not going after Havertz or Bruno Fernandes, surely at least the latter one is gettable for an amount we can live by and he would be an instant upgrade on every player we have for the hole, he can also play further down in midfield. And he would score goals, something that Pereira struggles with and Lingard seems incapable of.
He would be a much better option than Lingard, Mata and Pereira (all of which should be departing no later than next summer, although I reckon we will keep hold of Pereira at least).

Matic is burned out and should be leaving in the summer, probably can't afford to lose him now with such a thin squad and injuries to McTominay and Pogba. But at the very least we can get someone in for him now, should not mean we can't go out and by a better one next summer, the one coming in now would than just be a better squad option than Matic. There has been talks of Winks, Soumare, Zakaria, Gedson Fernandes and Tonali in the fall, there are also players out there like Szoboszlai and Verschaeren. Surely we can buy one of those and than we have a young player coming in that can improve and surprise and thus be worth a punt, while also aiming for a proper first team addition in the summer if need be.

An RW or a forward would be ideal. Now here Sancho is a dream for RW but probably unrealistic unless we make CL and he joins next summer, so we should be doing what we can to get that top 4, even if it means getting a player in now that than gets benched. Someone like Olmo is possible right now for only 34m supposedly, he can play more than just wing so he might even still work as first teamer with Sancho in the future if everything were to fall into place.
Of course everyone was excited about Haaland and there were talks of Mandzukic for the short term, both of which will not happen now, I agree with Rio that getting Cavani in for a short term could be a good move, Jimenez is a potentially good buy as well but probably expensive, at the very one can argue we need another forward with only Martial, Rahsford and Greenwood for it right now.

We also probably need to get rid of Shaw and get a proper left back in there next summer, someone who can attack, someone like Digne or Grimaldo perhaps.

Than there is the thing with our plethora of CB's that needs cleaning up.

We should be loaning out some of our young upcoming players next season, it is clear that Chong is far from ready, he does not trust Gomes and Garner. So the only ones really to keep around next season are perhaps Williams and Greenwood. Send the others out on a season loan, perhaps in the Championship so they can get game after game to improve.

So much to do still in this so called rebuild and every window is important and should be used to get closer to a proper squad, so January with nothing happening is unacceptable to me.

But of course nothing of this sort will happen because we have no DoF and have a penny pinching board/CEO/owners with a manager who does not want to rock the boat and they all seem to be making it up as things go instead of planning for the short and long term.

Denis' cuff

Personally I believe the below 3 can be brought in during this window that can vastly improve us.

Neves
Grealish
Jimenez

Whether we do it, is another story although seems unlikely that we will.
Personally mate, I think we will at most, make a token signing in January and then we'll make a similar weak attempt in the summer, citing the "difficult" distraction of the Euros as an excuse. Always minimum expectations. Losing Matic and Pogba in summer and Mata finished, we won't even replace them, never mind improve the squad. Has been the way since these fecking parasites took over.

Last edited:

Varun1

If it's proving difficult to buy the right player, Paredes and Draxler on loan from PSG since both seem unwanted. Can and Rabiot who aren't getting much game time at Juve, maybe not Rabiot though because of his mum.
Rumours that Atletico Madrid need to sell, so it would be worth looking at some of their players, other than Lemar.
Maybe even loan Paulinho from China since he did a good job at Barca.

The point that am trying to make is that there are players out there, maybe not plan A but certainly good enough for us, in our current state. Saying that, we simply don't seem proative enough which is why I doubt Soumare (who i've never seen play) will join us. We should already have been in advanced negotiations for any January transfer with a view to closing the deal asap, but there are no indications that this will be happening.
At this stage we would be buying to integrate in the first team, not to beat off other teams (Vidic, Evra), so this would have happened early in the window.

The best signing would probably be someone like Nagelsman and Ragnick but that's 100% not happening.

Last edited:

Paul_Scholes18

Hakim ziyech is the one I really want. Exactly the type of player we need. Might struggle with Ole as his manager though, but once Ole is gone he would be a star if we get a proper manager.
I would take Richarlison too even if he has been very much up and down.

Not sure which striker to go for. Most great ones would be too hard to get I think.

led_scholes

How hard is to take someone like Can?? He is not young, like Rabiot, and he doesn't feature that much. He is not THE solution to win the league, but he is a relative cheap player with big experience, playing in an area we lack bodies.

Someone mentioned Paredes and Draxler too. How difficult is to take them on loan and paying PSG a small amount too? Sometimes, you have to look for short term fixes, especially if you feel uncertain about the quality in the market. That was Ibra, Larsson even Owen and they turned fine. Van de Sar also was a short term fix, however he defied the odds and stayed for 6 years.

These 3 players wont cost that much, a la Sanchez, and they have still things to prove, so probably are still hungry. Hunger is the reason why we should stay away from Carasco for example.