6 realistic signings to improve us?

VanGaalyTime

How hard is to take someone like Can?? He is not young, like Rabiot, and he doesn't feature that much. He is not THE solution to win the league, but he is a relative cheap player with big experience, playing in an area we lack bodies.

Someone mentioned Paredes and Draxler too. How difficult is to take them on loan and paying PSG a small amount too? Sometimes, you have to look for short term fixes, especially if you feel uncertain about the quality in the market. That was Ibra, Larsson even Owen and they turned fine. Van de Sar also was a short term fix, however he defied the odds and stayed for 6 years.

These 3 players wont cost that much, a la Sanchez, and they have still things to prove, so probably are still hungry. Hunger is the reason why we should stay away from Carasco for example.
Draxler is a great shout. I would also consider a fast right winger like Elliasson from Bristol City. 11 assists in 9 starts in the league, 24-years old and I think can be a great squad option at the very least at this level. Also his contract is up in the summer. There are so many options but unfortunately I still think we aren't even scouting anyone. If we were, we surely would have brought someone the moment the window opened, like Liverpool with Minamino.

led_scholes

Draxler is a great shout. I would also consider a fast right winger like Elliasson from Bristol City. 11 assists in 9 starts in the league, 24-years old and I think can be a great squad option at the very least at this level. Also his contract is up in the summer. There are so many options but unfortunately I still think we aren't even scouting anyone. If we were, we surely would have brought someone the moment the window opened, like Liverpool with Minamino.
I fear that we are always aim at unrealistic targets or because of lack of scouting we buy the wrong players. Honestly, the only summer when I think that the staff, the manager and Ed cooperated was in 2016; in hindsight only Ibra was successful and Pogba will be sold, probably, with a profit. But at least we tried. I do believe that our scouting is not completely awful. Herrera and Martial have been successful, James is turning fine, while Baily started great but was unlucky and Lindelof is ok. It is probably lacking compared to other teams (it seems Barca is following our pattern), but i feel is the aggregation of many things that ultimately lead to incompetent transfers.

Infestissumam

in summer:

Denis Zakaria
Jack Grealish
Kalvin Phillips

fix that god damn midfield. Not the easiest transfers to get done, especially Phillips if Leeds get promoted ... but United have the muscle to get it done.

James Ward

in summer:

Denis Zakaria
Jack Grealish
Kalvin Phillips

fix that god damn midfield. Not the easiest transfers to get done, especially Phillips if Leeds get promoted ... but United have the muscle to get it done.
Signing better than average players is not the way forward. Have we not seen the same problems over and over again since Fergie left.

We need world class midfielders who can help us battle for title and not come sixth, not better than average.

Infestissumam

Signing better than average players is not the way forward. Have we not seen the same problems over and over again since Fergie left.

We need world class midfielders who can help us battle for title and not come sixth, not better than average.
title of the thread says "realistic". I'm all for signing worldclass players but you have to be realistic in terms of where we are and who's available/willing to join.

Mark Pawelek

Please name world class midfielders you think are realistic signings.

cruseofried

If you could make 3 realistic signings to improve our squad next summer who would you go for?

de Gea

Wan-Bissaka Maguire Lindelof Chilwell

McTominay Neves Pogba

Sancho Martial Rashford​

Chilwell, Neves and Sancho are all gettable players for United, follow the new strategy we seem to be using and would be improvements on Shaw, Matic/Fred/Pereira & Lingard imo.

Yours?
1. I don't think we need look any farther than our own Williams at left back and he costs nothing.
2. I would like Bruno Fernandez.
3. I would like Jadon Sancho.
DeGea
Wan Bissaka Maguire Williams
Sancho Hernandez McTominay Davies
Pogba
Martial. Rashford
Not bad for a starting line up but open to debate.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
1. I don't think we need look any farther than our own Williams at left back and he costs nothing.
2. I would like Bruno Fernandez.
3. I would like Jadon Sancho.
DeGea
Wan Bissaka Maguire Williams
Sancho Hernandez McTominay Davies
Pogba
Martial. Rashford
Not bad for a starting line up but open to debate.
No offence but that is a horribly unbalanced line-up. We would get absolutely murdered on the counter by any decent team. I assume you mean Bayern's Davies?

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
N’didi
Milinkovic-Savic
Grealish

Think whole midfield needs a re-think. Have Fred, McTominey as good back ups, but they should be just that.

N’didi as a ball winner, SMS as a box to box midfielder and Grealish as a number 10.

Probably going to cost a fortune but means that midfield is sorted for years and can start to finally win midfield battles and put sides under a bit of pressure.

Following summer, we could look at what was needed in attack, a decent midfield should give rashford, martial and Greenwood a platform to perform. Give Williams a chance as starting LB

Jibbs

I will go with 4.

Hwang Hee-chan
Teun Koopmeiners
Odsonne Edouard
Kalvin Phillips

cruseofried

No offence but that is a horribly unbalanced line-up. We would get absolutely murdered on the counter by any decent team. I assume you mean Bayern's Davies?
I take your point but I disagree because even with Pogba and McTominay and our strongest team playing our current formations, we are strictly mid table at best. All we do currently is hope to get a counter attack going which is absolute nonsense. When a strong team attacks us at present we fall apart so we're getting murdered anyway.

Andrew Richmond

OGS would be only too well aware his job his handing by a thread. I wouldn’t read to much into the public statement’s he makes he know’s only too well he need’s reinforcement’s otherwise he is out of a job in the summer. The sad thing for OGS is the January transfer window is a very difficult time to bring in quality players and his only options would be from Europe. He simply isn’t going to acquire Maddison, Grealish or any other PL target they may be interested in, in the January window so he is between a rock and a hard place. Given the Watford debacle, Sheffield United being outclassed today by a far superior team in Man City he’s on a hiding to nothing and the Ole out crowd will get there wish, he will be gone at seasons end rightly or wrongly.

You can say what you like about his managerial ability or otherwise, but his squad is bereft of any quality, particularly with the current injuries he really hasn’t had much chance to turns things around.

This game today against Man City highlighted the fact, only Fred and Rashford would be fit to play for Man City, and probably only off the bench if the truth be known.

SamoyedSam

Supports
Notts County
Spot on Andrew Richmond. It's pointless changing managers if they aren't allowed to address the glaring lack of quality in the squad. It becomes a cycle of mediocrity.

cruseofried

OGS would be only too well aware his job his handing by a thread. I wouldn’t read to much into the public statement’s he makes he know’s only too well he need’s reinforcement’s otherwise he is out of a job in the summer. The sad thing for OGS is the January transfer window is a very difficult time to bring in quality players and his only options would be from Europe. He simply isn’t going to acquire Maddison, Grealish or any other PL target they may be interested in, in the January window so he is between a rock and a hard place. Given the Watford debacle, Sheffield United being outclassed today by a far superior team in Man City he’s on a hiding to nothing and the Ole out crowd will get there wish, he will be gone at seasons end rightly or wrongly.

You can say what you like about his managerial ability or otherwise, but his squad is bereft of any quality, particularly with the current injuries he really hasn’t had much chance to turns things around.

This game today against Man City highlighted the fact, only Fred and Rashford would be fit to play for Man City, and probably only off the bench if the truth be known.
Solid post, I agree with everything you say. I have reservations regarding the support that Ole will get this window. If they don't give him funds and time I think we will sink like a stone and regardless of what the Ole out brigade think, there will be few managers of any quality breaking a leg to replace him without these future financial assurances. To think that Liverpool did this for thirty years and it's taken Klopp four seasons to get them the Premiership.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
feck 3 signings, I'm breaking the rules to my own thread. If we have as much money as we keep being told we do, plus the money we'll get from selling Pogba, plus the money we didn't spend from selling Lukaku. What is stopping us from just going on a Chelsea 2003 / City 2009 style spending spree?

DDG/Romero
Wan-Bissaka Skriniar Maguire Grimaldo
Ndidi

Fred Grealish
Sancho
Martial Rashford
And don't give me the Skriniar/Sancho are unrealistic, we are Manchester United. We signed Di Maria and Falcao in the same summer without CL football, same with Pogba, if you open the chequebook the players will come. None of those players are over 25 either, builds for the future.

That's about £300m I've just spent, but we'll get about £100m for Pogba and we got £75m for Lukaku, so it's a net spend of £125m, City spend more than that every season. No excuses.

NoPace

Please name world class midfielders you think are realistic signings.
I'm assuming he means potential world class midfielders. It's an interesting question, namely who are the highest upside signings we could realistically make?

Havertz and Aouar seem like the obvious ones who might want to play for us, since we're a big club with money and they wouldn't have to fight for a starting job.

Tonali is at Brescia, we could simply offer more money than the big Italian clubs are willing to and they'd presumably have to consider it. Camavinga is so young you'd presume upside is there. Dani Olmo, Florentino and Soumare are all 20/21 and I assume talented considering their hype. Verscharen has 2 Belgium caps at 18 and Anderlecht obviously a selling club.

Also, I'm not sure I agree with the premise exactly. If we'd signed Moutinho instead of Schneiderlin for instance and just had a buyback for Zaha we'd probably have a very strong front 6, and those are guys normally thought of as a level or two short of world class.

---------------Martial---------------
Rashford--------------------Zaha
---------Pogba---Moutinho--------
------------Fred/McTom------------

We might not get 90 points a year, but that would have been a very solid team the last 2-3 years (assuming Fred settled better because the team was settled) with a clever user of the ball next to Moutinho allowing him freedom and a proper threat at RW to give us width. Also James coming off the bench running at tired players and one of Fred or McTom available so we never have to see Lingard or Pereira again.

Steamboat Willy

I really doubt that we are attractive to the best players in the world right now, like Sancho or Maddison.

We should be going for relatively young players who can develope into world class superstars. Like Liverpool have done with Salah and Mané.

I don’t believe that Leicester are a realistic pond to fish in. There simply to well organized as a club.

In my opinion we should land

Van De Beek OR Zaniolo as CM
Ziyech OR Grealish as AM or CM
Werner OR Dembele as Striker

That mentioned we should also land a CB, a LB, two more midtfielders (one if Pogba stays).

And i really don’t understand, Werner is keen on leaving in the summer. He has af releaseclause. Go get the deal done now, but allow him to finish his season in RB. And then go all in on the other to this window with Ajax out of CL.

enurs

We can get these in January:

Hwang from Salzburg

Bruno Fernandes

Matthijs de Ligt – On Loan. He is not playing, and Ajax want to loan him back

Kalidou Koulibaly – Seems like we are making a move her now in January. We can only hope

Jiminez – Could still happened

StonedhamsterZA

Cannot get over the lack of movement in the market at the moment. Irrespective of Ole's job security, we are fighting for top 4 and we have an injury crisis.

The only thing we have done is recall Borthwick-Jackson.

I might be wrong and something great happens in the next 3 weeks, but we've not even heard of any rumours or anything.

theklr

I might be wrong and something great happens in the next 3 weeks, but we've not even heard of any rumours or anything.
Havent heard any rumours? Thats all we've heard :lol:

To be fair, aside from Liverpool it hasnt been much signings in any club yet, just because it takes time. If anything goes through it will most likely be in the last week of January.
Rushing deals like this is never a good idea.

enurs

The Portuguese newspaper Record writes that both Ole and Mike travelled to Portugal to see Sporting vs Porto. We can only hope but it might happen

Mark Pawelek

I'm assuming he means potential world class midfielders. It's an interesting question, namely who are the highest upside signings we could realistically make?

Havertz and Aouar seem like the obvious ones who might want to play for us, since we're a big club with money and they wouldn't have to fight for a starting job.

Tonali is at Brescia, we could simply offer more money than the big Italian clubs are willing to and they'd presumably have to consider it. Camavinga is so young you'd presume upside is there. Dani Olmo, Florentino and Soumare are all 20/21 and I assume talented considering their hype. Verscharen has 2 Belgium caps at 18 and Anderlecht obviously a selling club.

Also, I'm not sure I agree with the premise exactly. If we'd signed Moutinho instead of Schneiderlin for instance and just had a buyback for Zaha we'd probably have a very strong front 6, and those are guys normally thought of as a level or two short of world class.

---------------Martial---------------
Rashford--------------------Zaha
---------Pogba---Moutinho--------
------------Fred/McTom------------

We might not get 90 points a year, but that would have been a very solid team the last 2-3 years (assuming Fred settled better because the team was settled) with a clever user of the ball next to Moutinho allowing him freedom and a proper threat at RW to give us width. Also James coming off the bench running at tired players and one of Fred or McTom available so we never have to see Lingard or Pereira again.
Havertz - winger not a 'midfielder'. By midfielder I mean defensive midfielder (center), box-to-box, or attacking midfield (centre). Positions: #6, #8, #10.

There's no legitimate transfer rumours or stories of Kai Havertz leaving Leverkusen this January. His club are in 6th position in German League with genuine chance of European football next season; why would they throw that away? Best report I've seen is in Indy, and 1 month old. They say there's no reason for them to sell. They believe they will get at least as much money in the summer for Havertz. There's no indication that the player wants out now. His club are not in dire financial straights.

Houssem Aouar - more realistic prospect from a known selling club. But you cannot describe him as 'world class'. Potentially W/C; but potentially not too. Also: why would Lyon sell him now when they can earn the same or more next summer?

Tonali. Far less realistic than Aouar. Italian players rarely move outside Italy too. He's still young, 19, so not experienced enough to make a big difference for us. Nor is he W/C yet. Another potential. Why not play Garner or Levitt?

Last edited:

enurs

How about this. And yes, it could happen:

Bruno Fernandes

Raul Jimenez

Kalidou Koulibaly

NoPace

Havertz - winger not a 'midfielder'. By midfielder I mean defensive midfielder (center), box-to-box, or attacking midfield (centre). Positions: #6, #8, #10.

There's no legitimate transfer rumours or stories of Kai Havertz leaving Leverkusen this January. His club are in 6th position in German League with genuine chance of European football next season; why would they throw that away? Best report I've seen is in Indy, and 1 month old. They say there's no reason for them to sell. They believe they will get at least as much money in the summer for Havertz. There's no indication that the player wants out now. His club are not in dire financial straights.

Houssem Aouar - more realistic prospect from a known selling club. But you cannot describe him as 'world class'. Potentially W/C; but potentially not too. Also: why would Lyon sell him now when they can earn the same or more next summer?

Tonali. Far less realistic than Aouar. Italian players rarely move outside Italy too. He's still young, 19, so not experienced enough to make a big difference for us. Nor is he W/C yet. Another potential. Why not play Garner or Levitt?
Havertz is a 10 or #8 at his size and skillset, longterm, I would assume? He may not move until the summer of 2021 but he's surely leaving this summer or next.

Aouar, I'd bet on him becoming world class but I only watch Lyon in the CL or big Ligue 1 games. His ability to play the ball under pressure is something we basically don't have here.

Tonali I have no idea, just saying that we could make a massive offer to Brescia, though you're right Italians don't seem to move a ton, especially that young.

These aren't necessarily the best signings, but names like them are the highest rated midfielders with time on their side, playing well in good leagues and they will all move in the next 2 years barring injury. It will probably be to Bayern (Havertz), PSG or Spanish or Prem side that isn't us (Aouar) and Inter, Napoli or Juve (Tonali) but if we went hard after all 3 we could probably get one.

City don't sign sneaky talented players generally, for example. They go out and get players like that who everyone rates. Rodri, Cancelo, Mendy, De Bruyne, Bernardo, Aguero and others I'm talking about. We mess around with the Otamendi, Walker and Ferndandinho types and seem to get them wrong more often.

Mark Pawelek

Havertz is a 10 or #8 at his size and skillset, longterm, I would assume? He may not move until the summer of 2021 but he's surely leaving this summer or next.

Aouar, I'd bet on him becoming world class but I only watch Lyon in the CL or big Ligue 1 games. His ability to play the ball under pressure is something we basically don't have here.

Tonali I have no idea, just saying that we could make a massive offer to Brescia, though you're right Italians don't seem to move a ton, especially that young.

These aren't necessarily the best signings, but names like them are the highest rated midfielders with time on their side, playing well in good leagues and they will all move in the next 2 years barring injury. It will probably be to Bayern (Havertz), PSG or Spanish or Prem side that isn't us (Aouar) and Inter, Napoli or Juve (Tonali) but if we went hard after all 3 we could probably get one.

City don't sign sneaky talented players generally, for example. They go out and get players like that who everyone rates. Rodri, Cancelo, Mendy, De Bruyne, Bernardo, Aguero and others I'm talking about. We mess around with the Otamendi, Walker and Ferndandinho types and seem to get them wrong more often.
They would all be improvements or very good prospects. But I doubt they're "realistic". I fear the transfer budget is less than £100m/year and that if United buy Bruno this January we're already eating into next summer's cash. This puny transfer budget implies Ole intends half his new squad to be academy graduates; and the next league title will be many years away. I fear this is Ole's plan.

LuckyScout78

From the portuguese league 2 players that would be starters in this United side and are not "expensive" by United standards.

Ruben Dias - 40-50M, is way better than Lindelof and will be one of the best CB in the world.
Danilo Pereira - 30-40, 28 years old proven miedfielder.

I have seen Matheus Pereira suggested in this topic, I haven't seen him playing in the Championship but from what I've seen in Sporting and his Portuguese loans he is a very weak version of Nani\Quaresma. Also very arrogant for what he has shown until now...
I vote for Ruben Dias too. He can turn out to be a really good CB. Agree with Benfica this January. If Benfica is not willing to let him goes this window. Let him stay there until summer. If not, i can see Dias as Ramos replacement or United will meet competition in the summer.
A really good dominate CB at the age of 22, is perfect. Both quick fix and longterm solution. Yeah, like a guy under. Get him, before others club get him.
He use to play right CB. Can be a good CB partner ship with Maguire.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
We need:
AM - Havertz, Maddison or Grealish
CM or DM - Savic, Tonali or Ndidi
Forward (backup) - We don't need expensive forward player in our starting line-up, we only need reliable backup. I am happy with Rashford, Martial, Greenwood up front. Although I don't mind if we sign Sancho.

croadyman

I
Ziyech goal, Ziyech press and assist. Only a friendly btw.

Feel like this guy could be a revelation on the RW and would allow us to spend big on a top class controlling CM like Saul.

I also think Soumare would be a decent signing in the DM position.

Last edited:

Steamboat Willy

I don’t know about future signings, but must say i’m impressed of this window so far. We have been proactive and now half Way through the window, we have adressed our obiveus problems in our squad, and have both send scouts to watch B. Fernandes, we have considered going for Saul AND have thought about prepared an offer for Van de Beek. Who could ask for more in our current situation.

P.s. Not to be forgotten - Shown interest in getting Haverts in the summer....

ManchesterYoda

I believe what is most important is that we balance our team and squad. Once we have done that we can then gradually improve our squad each transfer window. We are never going to challenge City and Liverpool for the title until we have a balanced team and squad because that's what they both have.
A balanced team can play to its full potential. An unbalanced team can never play to its full potential because it is handicapped by being unbalanced.
Only with a balanced team that isn't handicapped is it possible to get 100 points and more.
Ziyech should be our priority signing because we NEED an inverted right sided forward that will create chances and score goals.

UpWithRivers

We have been crying out for a right sided midfielder for how many years now?!!!! And Ziyech seems like a good price wise and skill set wise. But what is the priority? And that all depends on our style of play. Are we going to stick with 4-2-1-3 with two defensive midfielders and a number 10. And secondly what is the situation with Pogba. Do we plan on using Pogba + Fred/McTominay then Fernandes as number 10? Can that actually work? I would say no. We would need a Kante. Ndidi would be good but I doubt we could get him from Leicester and if we did at what cost? So the only other player I can see is Partey.
If Pogba is leaving then I presume we stick with two defensive midfielders Fred/McTominay with Matic as back up. That leaves zero creativity coming from central midfield. Then we definitely need Ziyech as the priority to give us more attacking threat.
The other player that I don't think is a priority but I would love is to go back in for is Koulibaly. Lindelof and Maguire are good and could get us top 4 but Maguire and Koulibaly is a game changer I think. Also if we revert to one defensive midfielder alongside Pogba instead of our usual 2 defensive midfielders then 2 great CB's are needed. I know Koulibaly didnt want to come and the price they were asking was ridiculous but with the problems at Napoli you never know.
Then we need another striker - Werner seems ideal but if we dont have much cash I would be happy getting a cheapo option. Just someone with a different skillset to our other strikers. And that man is Giroud. If we can get him.

My ideal - Girioud/Partey/Koulibaly - 150 ish? If by some miracle we could get Ziyech/Werner as well then that would be something but I doubt it. This team is possible and potentially something really special.

Rashford------Martial(Girioud back up)-----Greenwood
--------------------------Fernandes--------------------
----------------Pogba--------------Partey--------
Williams---Maguire----Koulibaly------Bissaka

Last edited:

Crashoutcassius

Neves isn't good enough and I don't understand why people keep mentioning him. There's much better players that could be bought for reasonable sums in comparison to the average Neves.
It's because he was well known as a young player and scored a few crackers. Guarantee when people watched him in his first United game they would be confused with how low key he is with the ball. Still a very good defensive mid... But not the player people think they would get, especially for 100m or something