6 realistic signings to improve us?

Rbrown0806

If you could make 3 realistic signings to improve our squad next summer who would you go for?

de Gea

Wan-Bissaka Maguire Lindelof Chilwell

McTominay Neves Pogba

Sancho Martial Rashford​

Chilwell, Neves and Sancho are all gettable players for United, follow the new strategy we seem to be using and would be improvements on Shaw, Matic/Fred/Pereira & Lingard imo.

Yours?
You haven't set the bar very high have you? Almost anyone would be an improvement on the rubbish you mention!

croadyman

Bruno AM

Saul CM

Werner ST

I would ideally like a RW as well but there is no way we could get Sancho and break the bank for Niguez too.

I know people will probably laugh at this suggestion but feel Fraser could give us something on that right side.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
LB
CM
RW

If we limited it to 3 and spent good money on all, that would be enough to lift the quality in the side massively.

Telles
Saul
Sancho

De Gea

Wan Bissaka Lindelöf Maguire Telles

Fred
Saul Pogba

Sancho Martial Rashford​

That XI is good enough to challenge for the PL I think. Could still do with a better centre half I think, but limiting it to 3, I think LB is more of a concern.

croadyman

LB
CM
RW

If we limited it to 3 and spent good money on all, that would be enough to lift the quality in the side massively.

Telles
Saul
Sancho

De Gea

Wan Bissaka Lindelöf Maguire Telles

Fred
Saul Pogba

Sancho Martial Rashford​

That XI is good enough to challenge for the PL I think. Could still do with a better centre half I think, but limiting it to 3, I think LB is more of a concern.
I would like to think we could get both Sancho & Saul in the summer,however find it hard to believe the board would sanction over £200m on two players.

Could only see us spending that big if we sell Pogba because our board are always so concerned about net spend.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I would like to think we could get both Sancho & Saul in the summer,however find it hard to believe the board would sanction over £200m on two players.

Could only see us spending that big if we sell Pogba because our board are always so concerned about net spend.
Pogba isn’t our only saleable asset. We can recoup money just by selling players we don’t use anyway.

You are likely right though, it will be a big outlay, but I think, especially if we make the top 4, the board would back the manager. Of course, selling Pogba would raise funds, but we sold Lukaku on the deadline for big money and haven’t spent it. I also think we’d need another player on top anyway if we did sell Pogba, and not a cheap one. He’s too much quality to remove from the team I posted without bringing in another. If we could swap him for Odegaard now then sure.

croadyman

Pogba isn’t our only saleable asset. We can recoup money just by selling players we don’t use anyway.

You are likely right though, it will be a big outlay, but I think, especially if we make the top 4, the board would back the manager. Of course, selling Pogba would raise funds, but we sold Lukaku on the deadline for big money and haven’t spent it. I also think we’d need another player on top anyway if we did sell Pogba, and not a cheap one. He’s too much quality to remove from the team I posted without bringing in another. If we could swap him for Odegaard now then sure.
The only thing is how much are we realistically likely to get from selling our players that we don't really use and just out of interest who do you think should be sold this summer in order to raise funds. My gut feeling is that the Lukaku money was spent on Maguire and that was the reason we didn't sign him until very late in the window. So let's just say we do sell Pogba in the summer but also sign Bruno in this window, which midfielders would you want to bring in this summer in order to replace his goals and creative output.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
The only thing is how much are we realistically likely to get from selling our players that we don't really use and just out of interest who do you think should be sold this summer in order to raise funds. My gut feeling is that the Lukaku money was spent on Maguire and that was the reason we didn't sign him until very late in the window. So let's just say we do sell Pogba in the summer but also sign Bruno in this window, which midfielders would you want to bring in this summer in order to replace his goals and creative output.
I don’t think the Maguire/Lukaku thing is the case. A quick look at the fee we were initially quoted, and even the one we eventually paid shows why we were never going to be looking to do a quick deal for Maguire. Negotiating was required, and they knocked back £65m well before Lukaku left.

I’m not keen on signing Bruno with or without Pogba personally, and if he left in the summer, I think it would be extremely difficult for us to replace his goals and creativity. There are not many better midfielders than Pogba in the world, despite what the likes of Souness say, and anyone better, we won’t get. If he is to go to Real, I’d like to see us do a deal that involves Odegaard come here. He has Pogba level of talent I think. If not, then I’d take James Maddison. That said, if we sign Fernandes, I don’t see us signing another pure creative midfielder in the summer of Pogba goes anyway, not a starting one at least. I’d definitely try and get Saul though, and a couple of other cheaper midfielders like Pellegrini and Phillips.

enurs

Imagine if we just closed our eyes and paid what clubs wanted. We could get these now in January:
Koulibaly £75m
Fernades £65m
Jeminez £50m

These are top players where one is world class; one could be world class and one who is PL proven with great stats.
If Pogba can play and McT comes back then we have a great chance to get top 4, win EL and perhaps have a chance to win the cup.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
If we are just going for any players now who may be available:

Ruiz
Sancho
Havertz
Ruiz was targeted by Inter when they played Napoli and had a mare against them according to reports. Is he really as good as he's made out or has the Ruben Neves effect took hold?

Baneofthegame

Ruiz was targeted by Inter when they played Napoli and had a mare against them according to reports. Is he really as good as he's made out or has the Ruben Neves effect took hold?
It may well have done, although I haven’t watched that particular game personally. Although it may well be a testament to his abilities if they targeted him, unless on the other side he was targeted for his weaknesses.

Whenever I’ve personally seen him I’ve liked his game though.

ParksLife81

Personally think we need 4 (5 if Pogba leaves in the summer) between now and the summer. Hopefully get 1 or 2 done now and 3 in the next window.

CB - Koubailly

CM - ??? Possibly a defensive midfield to go with Pogba and Fernandes

AM - Fernandes

RW - Sancho

Adnan

Talent Spotter
It may well have done, although I haven’t watched that particular game personally. Although it may well be a testament to his abilities if they targeted him, unless on the other side he was targeted for his weaknesses.

Whenever I’ve personally seen him I’ve liked his game though.
He was apparently targeted by Conte before the game because he saw him as the weak link in the Napoli midfield.

Baneofthegame

He was apparently targeted by Conte before the game because he saw him as the weak link in the Napoli midfield.
Could be, his January form hasn’t been great, also was a doubt for the game through illness.

But I could well be wrong, it wouldn’t be the first time.:D

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Think the squad needs 5 to challenge for everything I think.

CB
LB
DM
CM
RW

The two extra midfielders will strengthen the pool. Even if Fred and McTominay were replaced in the XI, they are great back ups to have. Add in Pereira and the younger ones like Garner, then that should provide decent MF cover, at least until we are ready to go again in the market.

A RW as it stands will take the attacking pool to 5 for 3 spots. Ideally we’d have 6, but Sanchez will be back and we probably won’t be able to shift him so he can probably be the 6th.

CB is needed as I don’t think Lindelöf is real top class, and I don’t think we have any coming through with that level of potential. It’s not urgent, but eventually, for a title winning side, we will want better.

Our LBs of course are not good enough.

croadyman

Personally think we need 4 (5 if Pogba leaves in the summer) between now and the summer. Hopefully get 1 or 2 done now and 3 in the next window.

CB - Koubailly

CM - ??? Possibly a defensive midfield to go with Pogba and Fernandes

AM - Fernandes

RW - Sancho
We definitely need to bring in five over the next couple of windows if Pogba leaves and I would go

DM Doucoure

CM Saul

AM Bruno

Utility Mid Grealish

RW Sancho

Unlikely that our board would sanction big money for Sancho & Saul in the same summer though. Yes I know we could do with another quality CB & experienced LB to help Brandon but have to sort out other areas first.

Reckon it would take about £330m to sign those five players and even if we got £120-£130m for Pogba,are this board really going to accept a £200m net spend in one summer .

Last edited:

Bestietom

In this window, I would like us to sign Soumare with Fernandes. Then in the Summer I would like Koulibaly, Maddison and a RW.

Craig Ward

Looking at the way we are handling the Fernandes negotiations its unlikely we will get 3 signings in at all. Utter shambles.

Unless the club seriously surprises us with some deals, this January window is looking painful.

I think we need Fernandes done asap.

The summer window will be even worse with Pogba bound to be pushing for a move. We need to focus on getting the likes of Jones/Lingard gone, and hopefully Sanchez and Smalling dont return from loans.

If we scrape Fernandes in this window - we need at least 4/5 in the summer.

Bruce Wayne

I really wish there was more information on how player scouting and signing is done at the club.

If you just read the news, it looks like United are chasing players but run into obstacles with the price or agent demands/fees.

We are still a massive step up for most players in the world. It should be a two way street. I can't imagine players in smaller clubs or other leagues are not looking at Man Utd as an amazing career opportunity for them. There will be very little competition to get into first team in most positions.

Those players should be in contact with their agents and if there is interest then they should also be helping the club to push the deal forward.

Irrational.

An excellent video (albeit a bit stats heavy) on sensible United transfers, with some pretty good suggestions:

The word 'sensible' doesn't exist in Woody's dictionary so I'm sure we'll probably end up with Declan Rice.

the chameleon

Bruno Fernandes. ahouar at Lyon could be an interesting alternative.

Sancho / Ziyech /

Maddison or Grealish need to be bought in summer too.

I think Jovic would also be a good punt. Just because a player signs for Real Madrid and struggles doesn’t mean that their career is over.

sparx99

For the January window I'd go for the following.

Wilfred Zaha (Rashford replacement and can play RW when Rashford is fit. £50m plus Lingard (plus we waive the sell on) or £70-£80m cash but we don't waive the sell on. So in a cash deal at £80m we would get £20m back so it stands for us at £60m. If Palace accepts £50m plus Lingard it stands us at £50m plus whatever you think Lingard is worth.

Bruno Fernandes - Replaces Lingard if he is included in the deal above but becomes our first choice no10 regardless.

Luka Jovic - Loan with option to buy at the same price Real Madrid paid last summer. We get a try before we buy and they get the chance at their money back.

bucky

Mounir Chouiar: attacking midfielder from Dijon, 20 years old
Manuel Locatelli: central/defensive midfielder from Sassuolo, 22 years old
Myron Boadu: forward from Alkmaar, 19 years old

Young players for the future that wouldn't be panic signings, that should be available with the right offer and shouldn't be that expensive. With that being said, we've left it too late and we aren't going to sign anyone.

croadyman

Llorente ( Marcos) Bruno & Jovic are the best I can think of that are realistically available this month, however would be surprised if we even do one deal let alone three.

Last edited:

Baneofthegame

Llorente, Bruno & Jovic are the best I can think of that are realistically available this month, however would be surprised if we even do one deal let alone three.
To be fair Jovic would be a good option on loan if Real really weren’t enamoured with him.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Imagine if we just closed our eyes and paid what clubs wanted. We could get these now in January:
Koulibaly £75m
Fernades £65m
Jeminez £50m

These are top players where one is world class; one could be world class and one who is PL proven with great stats.
If Pogba can play and McT comes back then we have a great chance to get top 4, win EL and perhaps have a chance to win the cup.
50£m for Jimenez? Good luck with that

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
For January I'd go for Olmo, Fernandes and Piatek. If the club only wants to spend serious money for Fernandes then Fernandes, Piatek, Can and Bernardeschi on a loan could do the trick.

Suedesi

An excellent video (albeit a bit stats heavy) on sensible United transfers, with some pretty good suggestions:

The word 'sensible' doesn't exist in Woody's dictionary so I'm sure we'll probably end up with Declan Rice.
This just showed up on my YouTube feed and was about to post it... They have done a great job, but as you say 'sensible' and 'Woodward' are two words combined that don't make sense.

beingshe7don

Moussa Dembele
Bruno Fernandes
Boubakary Soumare

These players shouldn't be difficult to get since they are not superstars....

Jibbs

I think by now everyone knows what we actually need and who are we targeting (hopefully).

Moussa Dembele
Bruno Fernandes
Boubakary Soumare (if not him then Marcos Llorente on loan)

croadyman

I think by now everyone knows what we actually need and who are we targeting (hopefully).

Moussa Dembele
Bruno Fernandes
Boubakary Soumare (if not him then Marcos Llorente on loan)
They seem to be going proper big for this Bellingham kid at Birmingham, so does that suggest we are looking at him rather than Soumare/Llorente.

I am surprised we haven't approached Madrid to take Jovic on loan because he is hardly getting any game time there.

Jibbs

They seem to be going proper big for this Bellingham kid at Birmingham, so does that suggest we are looking at him rather than Soumare/Llorente.

I am surprised we haven't approached Madrid to take Jovic on loan because he is hardly getting any game time there.
At just 16 he should be one for the future, like we signed Mejbri.

Soumare and Llorente will improve us right now and sort out our immediate need.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Emergency signings due to injuries
1. Draxler on Loan (LW/CAM/CM)
Or James Rodriguez on Loan (RW/CAM/CM)
2. Dominico berardi RW/CF better than piatek
3. Rice - can play 3 positions, even though not great will give us some cover until we get some players back/rest.