30 players you didn’t know played for these clubs challenge

H10

Huseyin 10
Hello loyal Redcafe Members,

Thought I'd create this 'Challenge' video to see if anybody on here can honestly say they knew all 30! It's only around 5 mins long so if you have 5 min spare then do check it out!

I'd imagine getting 10 should be straight forward. 20 will be pretty good. 25 and over, well you officialy are a king/queen when it comes to knowledge of players and their previous clubs! Just a bit of fun so please be honest and without revealing the club, let me know which players you got stuck on or were most suprised by!

The 30 players in question are as follows:
[Irrelevant point], Coutinho, Fabinho, Saul, Aubameyang, Ribery, Immbobile, Kasper Schmeical, Pique, Bonucci, Antonio Valencia, Hojberg, Perisic, Isco, Carvajal, Bruno Fernandes, Ozil, Rudiger, Azpilicueta, Kovacic, Emre Can, Harry Kane, Chiellieni, Alex Tellas, Mertens, Bernardo Silva, Ziyech, Martial and Szczesny.

Good luck!

izec

Mertens, Szczesny and Chiellini i thought were really difficult and had no clue about

H10

Huseyin 10
Ribery playing for Galatasaray
Yeah it was early on in his career and if I remember correctly he actually left on a free breaking his contract as there were some disputes around his salaray and not being paid, so ended up leaving! Big Mistake on the clubs part!

You are asking for honestly on a football forum!

I stopped counting, as I didn’t know the first four! A lot of them, I wouldn’t have known there history full stop, so it didn’t surprise me, the one that surprised me was Alonso at Bolton - clearly I completely forgot about that.

At the end, I probably knew around 12. Padded out by the three United players, as they were easy for me.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I didn’t get Costa, Perisic, Isco, Szczesny, Mertens and Chiellini. Got all the rest.

H10

Huseyin 10
You are asking for honestly on a football forum!

I stopped counting, as I didn’t know the first four! A lot of them, I wouldn’t have known there history full stop, so it didn’t surprise me, the one that surprised me was Alonso at Bolton - clearly I completely forgot about that.

At the end, I probably knew around 12. Padded out by the three United players, as they were easy for me.
:lol: I can only ask and hope people don't inflate their knowledge.

Yeah the Alonso one was pretty early in his career so can be tricky to remember.

I actually didn't know the Martial one, as I always assumed he came straight from Monaco!

But thanks for watching, and being honest ;)

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I didnt know quite a lot of those. You could've gone even more obscure for Mertens who played for 2nd Dutch division side AGOVV until he was almost 23.

I didnt count, but think I knew about half.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Honestly, the choice of players is a bit odd.

Didn't know about Saul and Immobile, but only the latter surprised me – the former's story just wasn't interesting. It's the players like Fabinho and Eto'o (I understand that you didn't use any retired players, but for the sake of an example) with his stint at Real Madrid – high profile players with an unlikely and often forgotten stays at significant clubs, that makes those kind of challenges interesting, at least for me.

Just some historical examples to fully illustrate my point, although most of them are forgotten simply because they had happened a long time ago:
Cruyff at Feyenoord
Davids at both Barca and Barnet (not a big club and his stint there is actually iconic, but it's such an unlikely career trajectory)
Vieira at AC Milan
Batistuta at Inter
Pires at Aston Villa
George Best at Fulham

H10

Huseyin 10
Honestly, the choice of players is a bit odd.

Didn't know about Saul and Immobile, but only the latter surprised me – the former's story just wasn't interesting. It's the players like Fabinho and Eto'o (I understand that you didn't use any retired players, but for the sake of an example) with his stint at Real Madrid – high profile players with an unlikely and often forgotten stays at significant clubs, that makes those kind of challenges interesting, at least for me.

Just some historical examples to fully illustrate my point, although most of them are forgotten simply because they had happened a long time ago:
Cruyff at Feyenoord
Davids at both Barca and Barnet (not a big club and his stint there is actually iconic, but it's such an unlikely career trajectory)
Vieira at AC Milan
Batistuta at Inter
Pires at Aston Villa
George Best at Fulham
Yeah I tried to keep it to active players otherwise there were defo some more interesting ones to include. I added some 'odd' ones (Mertens, Perisic, Ziyech etc) to try and make it a bit more difficult and to not be so focused on any partiular team or league.

Thanks for your feedback!

Chipper

Adulterer.
6/30.

I even managed to have never even heard of one of them - Alex Telles.

I don't think I like football as much as I once did, loads of them I only know their names and wouldn't have been able to say who they were from their pictures. Fabinho, Saul etc.

H10

Huseyin 10
6/30.

I even managed to have never even heard of one of them - Alex Telles.

I don't think I like football as much as I once did, loads of them I only know their names and wouldn't have been able to say who they were from their pictures. Fabinho, Saul etc.
Yeah Alex Tellas probs isn't as well known as most of the other players in the video. And I agree, unless you spend hours and hours watching football from across various leagues/or European cup competitions, you will only know some by name. It use to be the case with me when I use to play football manager, aknowing all the young wonderkids by name only.

H10

Huseyin 10
25/30 for me.
Well done - 25 is a hell of a score! Seems you are the winner, as I'd be very suprised if anyone can beat it. Out of curiosity, which were the 5 you didn't know?

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Years of Wikipedia trawling and football manager makes things like this a piece of cake

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I got 30/30, I didn't actually do it but I just assume I would've got it all right.

TheReligion

Abusive
I don't remember Gio van Bronkhorst playing for Arsenal by the way. Really random I know but just can't recall it. He then went to Barca and played more games for them than he did Rangers!

Bizarre. @Gio

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Arteta at Rangers is another one people sometimes forget about.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Saul at Rayo Vallecano. Yeah no chance I'd ever have known that. Atletico Madrid sending some random 17 year old out on loan to a crap Spanish team. Loans in general are difficult to know, unless they were in England like Alonso and Kane. Like, I keep forgetting Pique ever played for United, no chance I'd ever know United sent him on loan to some random Spanish team when he was still being potty trained

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I don't remember Gio van Bronkhorst playing for Arsenal by the way. Really random I know but just can't recall it. He then went to Barca and played more games for them than he did Rangers!

Bizarre. @Gio
He was lined up to move to Arsenal earlier but he did his hernia which delayed his transfer by a few months. Then not long after he arrived he did his cruciate. By the time he moved to Barcelona he hadn't played that much at Highbury. He recovered really well from both injuries, and obviously had a great career for Barcelona, but part of me thought the Rangers box-to-box central midfielder version was the finest.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
He was lined up to move to Arsenal earlier but he did his hernia which delayed his transfer by a few months. Then not long after he arrived he did his cruciate. By the time he moved to Barcelona he hadn't played that much at Highbury. He recovered really well from both injuries, and obviously had a great career for Barcelona, but part of me thought the Rangers box-to-box central midfielder version was the finest.
He scored that one screamer against Chelsea, I will therefore forget that he played for Arsenal.

RORY65

25 as well.
Had no idea Aubameyang played for Monaco and also didn't know Mertens, Chiellini, Perisic and Ziyech

Joff

I got 7. And I was generous with myself about Szezney at Brentford

Welbeckham

I think the Saul one was actually easy just because there were rumours of him moving here during Moyes’ time when he played for them.

I was surprised about Aubameyang Immobile, Mertens, Chiellini, Perisic, Szczesny. Got all the others I think. Especially the Özil, Rudiger, Kovacic ones seemed very obvious to me.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
So I failed in my mission to make sure that people understand that Martial was formed in the same mold than Benzema and Lacazette? :(

Martial left Lyon because in France we have the DNCG who is an authority that monitors clubs accounts and Lyon needed around 5m before June 30th 2013.

Spaghetti

Mom's
Very difficult. Especially as there are some players who played for a lot of clubs.
Saying you got 25/30 is fine, but did you get them by saying “I knew that” after seeing the answer, or by guessing which club it was going to be?
I probably guessed around 33% correctly, increasing to 66% by knowing the answer when I saw it. The other 34% were new to me.

H10

Huseyin 10
So I failed in my mission to make sure that people understand that Martial was formed in the same mold than Benzema and Lacazette? :(

Martial left Lyon because in France we have the DNCG who is an authority that monitors clubs accounts and Lyon needed around 5m before June 30th 2013.
Thanks for the context! Lyon don't usually let big talents leave for cheap so was wondering how he actually ended up at Monaco!