"4-5-1/4-3-3 never works"

68-99-08

I have no clue why Fergie played this formation at home.

Kaush949

Well it only works with the right players. Scholes doesn't usually click in a 4-3-3. A more dynamic player like Anderson is able to link the midfield and the attack better.

The Hairdryer

You thought tonights performance was convincing than?
We were all over them first half and got a deserved goal. All they could do is try shots from range.

In the second half we played on the counter and with a bit more composure should have finished them off.

Good performance, good tactics.

Can't ask for much more.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
We were shite second half to be fair. All over the place. Only looked good when we reverted to two up front. Unfortunately we will never play 4-4-2 in Europe I fear, despite the fact we have gone out every year playing every formation but.

SmashedHombre

We were all over them first half and got a deserved goal. All they could do is try shots from range.

In the second half we played on the counter and with a bit more composure should have finished them off.

Good performance, good tactics.

Can't ask for much more.
Composure is not a word I would use to describe the second half to be honest. Lost count of the amount of mis placed passes

ralphie88

If anyone thinks that was a good performance over a very mediocre side over two legs, they're living in cloud cuckoo land.

SmashedHombre

If anyone thinks that was a good performance over a very mediocre side over two legs, they're living in cloud cuckoo land.
Lyon aren't mediocre, but you;re right it wasn't a great performance.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Good performance
, good tactics.

Can't ask for much more.
Agree with everything you say there except the bit about performance. Performance and tactics were fine. The only problems was we were unbelievably sloppy in possession, throughout the second half. We would have been gash, no matter what formation we played.

By the way, for those who think we finished 442? We didn't. Hope this helps.

The Hairdryer

Agree with everything you say there except the bit about performance. Performance and tactics were fine. The only problems was we were unbelievably sloppy in possession, throughout the second half. We would have been gash, no matter what formation we played.

By the way, for those who think we finished 442? We didn't. Hope this helps.
Exactly. Though we're good apart from one or two stray passes.

AttackingFlair

I thought we did well, would've been a different story if we didn't feck around in the final third.

RapidRed

Lyon are not a great side by any means. They are a decent side with a couple of dangerous players. We play stronger sides in the prem and batter them.

I am delighted to see us go through, but if thats how we are going to perform, then I am not exactly looking forward to the next round.

The thing that frustrates me most about our European performances is that we pay too much respect to mediocre sides like Lille, Villareal, Copenhagen and to an extent Lyon. We are much better than these sides and if we play to our strengths we should batter them like we do with most prem teams outside the top 4.

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
True but they've won how many French championships in a row. They've always done well in the champions league as well. And they looked a very good team today.
They've always been talked up to do well in the champions league but never have

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Lyon are not a great side by any means. They are a decent side with a couple of dangerous players. We play stronger sides in the prem and batter them.

I am delighted to see us go through, but if thats how we are going to perform, then I am not exactly looking forward to the next round.

The thing that frustrates me most about our European performances is that we pay too much respect to mediocre sides like Lille, Villareal, Copenhagen and to an extent Lyon. We are much better than these sides and if we play to our strengths we should batter them like we do with most prem teams outside the top 4.
Lyone are streets ahead of any PL side outside the top 4.

rumac

They've always been talked up to do well in the champions league but never have
They've had three quarter finals and a last sixteen since 2003. Another round of sixteen this season as well.

That's not a whole lot worse than United's record over the past five or six years.

Chapster

it worked today
can't say how excited I was about the starting line up when he palyed anderson carrick fletch and nani

going for form over experience

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
They've had three quarter finals and a last sixteen since 2003. Another round of sixteen this season as well.

That's not a whole lot worse than United's record over the past five or six years.
Our record in the past 5-6 years (until last year) is average

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW

Yes all true, but they aren't half the team they were 2-3 years back.

Wes

I still fancy us this year.

We need a kick up the arse at times in Europe, but we've a great squad, defense is superb, the best around imo, and up front we have firepower.