5 years without a trophy - Further away than ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
We need to win the FA Cup this season.

If the players can't handle the "fight for 4th" and a cup run then we really are screwed.

Winning the FA Cup in 04 and League Cup in 06 was big for Ronaldo. Could have the same impact for Greenwood.

croadyman

If the players can't handle the "fight for 4th" and a cup run then we really are screwed.

Winning the FA Cup in 04 and League Cup in 06 was big for Ronaldo. Could have the same impact for Greenwood.
Can see them completely giving up when we are knocked out of the Champions League by Atletico next month and it will happen

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Unless the problems within the club are identified and rectified, it will be at least another 4 years.
The poor attitude, laziness and mediocrity needs to be replaced by hunger, ambition and desire.

JebelSherif

Supports
Huddersfield Town
Tricky game vs Aston Villa in the FA Cup on Monday (covid permitting) I had totally forgotten about it with everything that has been going on.

Will the draw for the round after have already taken place by the time this kicks-off? Will Utd. know who they play next assuming they get the victory?

432JuanMata

You know people have a go at Poch for taking Spurs to a CL F and getting them top 4 nearly every season by saying he didn’t win trophies well now we are a club that doesn’t win trophies and it’s looking like we won’t even finish top 4

Tyrion

You know people have a go at Poch for taking Spurs to a CL F and getting them top 4 nearly every season by saying he didn’t win trophies well now we are a club that doesn’t win trophies and it’s looking like we won’t even finish top 4
The people who criticised Poch were always using pretty daft arguments imo. Apparently Spurs were some sort of trophy magnet before him.

JebelSherif

Supports
Huddersfield Town
A home draw vs Middlesborough should see Utd. take one more step to getting this thread deleted.

JebelSherif

Supports
Huddersfield Town
Well done tonight, it was a tough game but still in it.

croadyman

I fear we will get outclassed in this comp when we bump into Scousers/City/Chelsea even maybe West Ham/Wolves/Leicester which is telling

peridigm

Unless the problems within the club are identified and rectified, it will be at least another 4 years.
The poor attitude, laziness and mediocrity needs to be replaced by hunger, ambition and desire.
It will take one hell of a motivational manager to get this lot ticking. ETH could be that manager but I fear we will end up with Mr. Rogers.

RoyH1

At the rate we're going, we could very well be on a Liverpool like drought. Unthinkable when Fergie retired.

JebelSherif

Supports
Huddersfield Town
At the rate we're going, we could very well be on a Liverpool like drought. Unthinkable when Fergie retired.
Why do you say that? I think the writing was on the wall and he was culpable in what followed and what continues to follow. Under-investment in the team & the ground; sucking up to the Glazers (for his own financial benefit) whilst leaving his immediate successor and indeed those who have followed, his crap to clean up - and its going to take decades.

copen1945

With so much quality in the squad, humble and hard-working attitude will see us back holding trophies.

wolvored

We need another Fergie, what I mean is someone aloof who tells it how it's gonna be. Someone to break the cliques in the dressing/locker room. It's my way or the highway. I can't see pocc being that man. Rangnick hasn't the power over 6 months. Does Ten Hag do that?

Lee565

We need another Fergie, what I mean is someone aloof who tells it how it's gonna be. Someone to break the cliques in the dressing/locker room. It's my way or the highway. I can't see pocc being that man. Rangnick hasn't the power over 6 months. Does Ten Hag do that?
Someone like conte then.

Another one that has great proven record but would face resistance from all of ole's buddies in the media and the nostalgic loving united fans would be diego simeone, his football may not be the prettiest but he produces trophies and his teams always fight for everything out on the pitch and is the type of manager that can bring back the winners/never give up mentality back into the club.

laughtersassassin

A home draw vs Middlesborough should see Utd. take one more step to getting this thread deleted.
I'm the OP and that's what I want as a United fan. But after how this season started looks like I was right sadly

Obviously people get upset when someone highlights how shite things are.

Looking back on what I said on the first post I don't think I said a thing wrong. I said we hadn't progressed and while it wasn't obvious then it's clear as day now.

big rons sovereign

Someone like conte then.

Another one that has great proven record but would face resistance from all of ole's buddies in the media and the nostalgic loving united fans would be diego simeone, his football may not be the prettiest but he produces trophies and his teams always fight for everything out on the pitch and is the type of manager that can bring back the winners/never give up mentality back into the club.
Jesus Christ.
Dry yer eyes mate.

wolvored

Someone like conte then.

Simeone might be a shout he loves longevity which is what the board want. Conte would cause trouble and after Mourinho he didn't have an hope in hell.

JebelSherif

Supports
Huddersfield Town
I just don't think this type of manager exists anymore or could try the 'hair-dryer' treatment. The player(s) would be complaining to their agents straight away or moaning about their 'mental health' and that would be the end of that.

Utd7

Sure we could get lucky with matchups and maybe win the FA Cup. But the days of us winning serious trophies like the PL are over for the foreseeable future.

Wouldn't be surprised if City catch/surpass us within the next 25 years unless serious changes are made within the club's infrastructure.

Tap

Simeone might be a shout he loves longevity which is what the board want. Conte would cause trouble and after Mourinho he didn't have an hope in hell.
I like Simeone but he will be on a very tight leash. The ex players, nostalgic fans and fans who would “rather lose 3-4 than win 1-0” will be baying for his blood very soon.

oz insomniac

Hard to recruit the sort of top level player needed when in control of the club Woodward has managed to change Man Utd from a destination club that attracted the elite, to a media click mob that pays overs to get mid table signings.

From afar it’s obvious what happened, like a frog in a tub that the water is gradually getting hitter, there is no rush to get out or in the teams case, move away from the structure and debacle, a gradual deterioration that has slowly engulfed the club, Judge and the Glazers are still in control, how and why?

Last edited:

UnitedFire

No chance of the title this year and probably safe at this stage to say no chance of the title next year.

Who would have thought when SAF retired we'd go 10 whole years without a title or CL. And actually what do we have, a league Cup, FA Cup, Europa League, charity shield.

Could be worse, still have to be greatful for the SAF era, but damn its been an awful 10 years. I'm counting next season, because let's face it, how much genuine quality do we have to turn this around.

I thought Man Utds wealth mixed with FFP would be us having a monopoly on success. How very wrong was I.

The sad thing is we only look to be getting further away despite the summer in theory providing us with more options and quality.

Another wasted transfer window so far with McFred still to stink up our midfield.

Board are useless. Where is the faith to come from...

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Compound the lack of titles with the fact that we tend to bring in stars and make them worse through our suspect training regimes. We need a proper midfield in the short-term to launch a fight next season and I can't see any player willing to take the risk to come on board.

I feel RR needs coaches of a higher calibre to build the foundation we need for a title push. The players look lost.

kredik

The board just recently took 11 million in dividends out-thats a title run in their eyes and a FA cub thrown in!

Waynne

I'm so deflated nowadays. I don't know what's up or down with United anymore.
I can barely muster a smile talking about this club. Its like getting repeatedly kicked in the nuts. At first you wince with pain and try to fight off the assault but after a while you just lay there taking it while smoking a cigarette.

Footyislife

That's what having poor leadership culture looks like. When the mediocre decision was made to replace someone as skilled as Gill with the clown who knew nothing about football. Since then we've made terrible personnel choices and engaged in nepotism. Culture is hard to replicate and it's a testament to SAF that he was able to deliver despite all that. No wonder he retired.

JebelSherif

Supports
Huddersfield Town
Hard to recruit the sort of top level player needed when in control of the club Woodward has managed to change Man Utd from a destination club that attracted the elite, to a media click mob that pays overs to get mid table signings.

From afar it’s obvious what happened, like a frog in a tub that the water is gradually getting hitter, there is no rush to get out or in the teams case, move away from the structure and debacle, a gradual deterioration that has slowly engulfed the club, Judge and the Glazers are still in control, how and why?
I actually think one positive from the recruitment of Ronaldo (I think we can agree that on the pitch it hasn't really been a success) could be him being at Old Trafford might attract other top players, even if Utd. don't achieve a Champions league slot (or win it this year).

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.

Not happening, especially with liverpool, city and chelsea still in the competition.

alexthelion

No chance of the title this year and probably safe at this stage to say no chance of the title next year.

Who would have thought when SAF retired we'd go 10 whole years without a title or CL. And actually what do we have, a league Cup, FA Cup, Europa League, charity shield.

Could be worse, still have to be greatful for the SAF era, but damn its been an awful 10 years. I'm counting next season, because let's face it, how much genuine quality do we have to turn this around.

I thought Man Utds wealth mixed with FFP would be us having a monopoly on success. How very wrong was I.

The sad thing is we only look to be getting further away despite the summer in theory providing us with more options and quality.

Another wasted transfer window so far with McFred still to stink up our midfield.

Board are useless. Where is the faith to come from...
It was almost an inevitability, it's following the same pattern as when Sir Matt retired.

Controversial opinion, but imo, having SAF around the club doesn't help, the managers who've followed him, same as when Sir Matt quit. Seems we don't learn from history.

alexthelion

That's what having poor leadership culture looks like. When the mediocre decision was made to replace someone as skilled as Gill with the clown who knew nothing about football. Since then we've made terrible personnel choices and engaged in nepotism. Culture is hard to replicate and it's a testament to SAF that he was able to deliver despite all that. No wonder he retired.
Gill was not all he is cracked up to be.

Giggsy13

Just part of the cycle if one is led to believe that nonsense. However, the damage could have been significantly mitigated if we were a Club that knew what we were doing when Sir Alex retired. The rot began in 2009 when we sold Ronaldo and when the club failed to replenish that with new signings. . The way it is looking, it could be another 10 to 15 years before we challenge again. That mentality and acceptance of it just being a cycle also runs through the United board as well, which is why in many respects we aren't taking a more active approach in trying to topple liverpool and city letting them have their moment. I really do hope I'm wrong, but none of us should accept being in the wilderness for a decade is normal for a club of our stature.

Giggsy13

The issue is the Glazers really don't know how to build a winning culture from the ground up with either the Bucs or United. They lucked out in their first Superbowl when the raiders oddly traded Jon Gruden to the Bucs leading them to win it in 2002. It then took two decades for them to be relevant again when they signed Brady. But before then it was miscues and missed draft picks every season.

They then purchased United with the greatest league manager in history in charge. They lucked out and now in a position again where they need a huge amount of luck and fortune to fall their way to build United as a force again. This is going to be a consistent problem. The fact Joel Glazer is still involved in the decision making is a major issue.

Sir Alex really is an absolute genius and we will never see anyone like him again. The fact he continued to win titles with those idiots in charge is just an amazing testament to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.