5 years without a trophy - Further away than ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noodle

Supports
Chelsea
Last 10 years (not including Super Cup/Charity Shield):

MCU - 12 (5 x PL, FA, 6 x LC)
CHE - 11 (2 x PL, 2 x FA, 2 x EL, 2 x CL, 1 x EL)
UTD - 4 (EL, PL, FA, LC)
LIV - 3 (1 PL, 1 LC, 1 CL)
LEI - 2 (PL, FA)

Last 5 years:

MCU - 8 (3 x PL, 4 x LC, 1 FA)
CHE - 4 (1 PL, 1 FA, 1 CL, 1 EL)
LIV - 2 (1 PL, 1 CL)
UTD - 2 (EL, LC)
LEI - 2 (PL, FA)

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
You know we were so dominant for so many years the fact we’ve won a few cups and finished 2nd a few times in the last 10 years is hardly a disaster. Was bound to happen. More United in the mid 80’s rather than United in the 70’s where it got truly bad. Not sure if people really thought we were just going to continue winning the league practically every single year forever? I know that has to be the aim again (and we should have won something more major with the money spent) but in the meantime at least we’re not on a 10 year trophy drought which could have easily happened since Ferguson left.

TsuWave

Never thought we’d be touching 10 without a league title.

and before I get quoted by any dinosaur telling me about the history of the club, please remember I came up during the time United was the big dog.

Gordon Godot

You know we were so dominant for so many years the fact we’ve won a few cups and finished 2nd a few times in the last 10 years is hardly a disaster. Was bound to happen. More United in the mid 80’s rather than United in the 70’s where it got truly bad. Not sure if people really thought we were just going to continue winning the league practically every single year forever? I know that has to be the aim again but in the meantime at least we’re not on a 10 year trophy drought which could have easily happened since Ferguson left.
No noone expected us to keep winning every year. But we shoud be competitive and even more importantly entertaining. In some of the wasteland years where teh FA Cup was the only trophy, there was an expectation we play good football. Too often since Fergie the football has been dire and lets be honest we have nevert looked competitive, even when coming 2nd. Given the financial resources and indeed the money spent its a massive indictment on the idiot Woodward and his team that we are not winning something more regularly or at least being right up there and keeping fans happy.

I can live without trophies but I want my club to thrill me with their football, to excite us with great young players and to have a team and squad who wear the jersey with pride. Until we have a proper football structure and Woodward and his successor are only dealign with commercial issues, this wont happen. Even know we struggle to clear out the dead wood, massively over pay for average players, have no DOF, dither over managers etc etc. Its a joke. Thats why we are declining.

TrueRed1999

Somehow bleaker than Nostradamus
You know we were so dominant for so many years the fact we’ve won a few cups and finished 2nd a few times in the last 10 years is hardly a disaster. Was bound to happen. More United in the mid 80’s rather than United in the 70’s where it got truly bad. Not sure if people really thought we were just going to continue winning the league practically every single year forever? I know that has to be the aim again (and we should have won something more major with the money spent) but in the meantime at least we’re not on a 10 year trophy drought which could have easily happened since Ferguson left.
Football comes in cycles and although not as worse as the 70s, My dad remembers us being relegated to 2nd Division and going with his brothers and him saying it took years of clear outs of the old and a proper team built to rise to a good team again. Defensively we are at the level of the 70s in terms of goals conceded, we need a massive cultural shift and change like Sir Alex had to do in the 80s, probably 65% of the first team need to be removed end of the season and buy players who aren't based off name but will work their arses off for you. McGinn has been mentioned but I would seriously consider James Ward Prowse, right attitude, age and his set pieces are really good.

Giggsy13

I didn’t expect the dominance of the Sir Alex years, but at least some semblance of a title contending squad and one that might win the odd time. My feeling is that it will take 20 years again to win it, which is unacceptable.

Giggsy13

Never thought we’d be touching 10 without a league title.

and before I get quoted by any dinosaur telling me about the history of the club, please remember I came up during the time United was the big dog.
With the gigantic Club United are today, there is absolutely no reason why we should not be challenging for the title almost every season. Football in the 60s/70s/80s was different. Now we’re at a different place. I don’t expect us to win it every season but we should always be in the conversation. That is the bare minimum standard.

L1nk

For me its not so much about winning but, we're not even close to challenging despite how much money we've spent, there's absolutely no excuse when you consider we have one of the most expensive squads assembled, on astronomical wages, we should be up there! Not only that, but football is entertainment and United used to entertain like no other, even if we won nothing in a season it sucked but i'd be happy just watching us entertain and giving it our all at least, now the players can't even be bothered half the time and i feel much more disconnected from the team than I used to, before, and again even when we weren't winning, I used to make sure I set aside time to watch the match and I was always really looking forward to it, now i'll catch the match if I can but if I have to miss it i'm really not that bothered. I'm hoping next season with a new manager and such could change that... though I am enjoying watching Ralf try to get a hold on all of this

TrueRed1999

Somehow bleaker than Nostradamus
For me its not so much about winning but, we're not even close to challenging despite how much money we've spent, there's absolutely no excuse when you consider we have one of the most expensive squads assembled, on astronomical wages, we should be up there! Not only that, but football is entertainment and United used to entertain like no other, even if we won nothing in a season it sucked but i'd be happy just watching us entertain and giving it our all at least, now the players can't even be bothered half the time and i feel much more disconnected from the team than I used to, before, and again even when we weren't winning, I used to make sure I set aside time to watch the match and I was always really looking forward to it, now i'll catch the match if I can but if I have to miss it i'm really not that bothered. I'm hoping next season with a new manager and such could change that... though I am enjoying watching Ralf try to get a hold on all of this
This is everything I feel, I can take the winless seasons but watching the crap we have on show with players on ridiculous wages not giving a shit on the pitch it everything that is wrong with Utd.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
I didn’t expect the dominance of the Sir Alex years, but at least some semblance of a title contending squad and one that might win the odd time. My feeling is that it will take 20 years again to win it, which is unacceptable.
Well I get that but football is so cyclical. We could be running away with the league in 3 years if we get enough decisions right consecutively. As much as that is less likely to happen when you consider the ambition of our board v City, it could still just happen. Liverpool 2016-2019 is a good example of that. You almost have to wait your turn and it’s just trial and error. With our resources you’d expect that at some point it clicks right. The same way after years of dominance under the same manager it was bound to dip after his departure.

yipthatman

The lif of a football fan. Will be worth it when Maguire lifts big ears in May
It's the life of a United fan I know that much. Not sure fans of other big clubs in England go through as much turbulence. That win at Brentford felt like a massive result, even though it actually wasn't, it was just 3 points. That should be standard for a club like United.

Gordon Godot

It's the life of a United fan I know that much. Not sure fans of other big clubs in England go through as much turbulence. That win at Brentford felt like a massive result, even though it actually wasn't, it was just 3 points. That should be standard for a club like United.
Nothing changes until we have a football structure and a board that runs the club to win trophies. Glazers really, really dont care if we win a trophy again. They really dont. Not sure why so many fans dont get this. They want the cashflow and have made 20x their original investment. Fans need to demand change and get a football structure in place, not ex-bankers who are jokes and inept. And stop blaming players, managers, agents, the weather etc

JebelSherif

Supports
Huddersfield Town
City will start a timer soon like we used to have.
They already have - its virtual though; its this thread.

I don't think its Utd. fans who keep bumping it back to the top, every time it drops off page one.

Lentwood

Yes...but the counter-argument is that, bad as we have been at times, we've been 2nd twice to the wealthiest team in football History.

I think we all need to appreciate that City's wealth has changed the game immensely. Without them, Utd, Liverpool and Chelsea (albeit also financially doped) would have picked up 6/7 more titles between them and there wouldn't be quite such a big deal made about our decline.

Even now, we'd still be talking about "just about" being in the title race...but all teams are naturally finding it hard to compete with a team who have hand selected 23 players in their prime across World football

Bogdannn

Fergie wouldn't compete now. The league is now a league where every team doesn't need to flog players to get by. The end was coming when first Chelsea then City could compete financially with Utd and Arsenal. Fergie left at the right time to preserve his legacy.
I wouldn't discount the man. I'm sure he'd do better than the crop of managers we've had since he left.

norm87cro

As a United fan Im well aware of this fact. There is no reason to be further depressing about this making a thread like this.

JebelSherif

Supports
Huddersfield Town
Nothing changes until we have a football structure and a board that runs the club to win trophies. Glazers really, really dont care if we win a trophy again. They really dont. Not sure why so many fans dont get this. They want the cashflow and have made 20x their original investment. Fans need to demand change and get a football structure in place, not ex-bankers who are jokes and inept. And stop blaming players, managers, agents, the weather etc
Can we blame the Manager in place when the Glazers joined the gravy train that is MUFC?

JebelSherif

Supports
Huddersfield Town
Oh dear.... all on the Champions League now, I guess.

BorisManUtd

Don't think we're winning the Champions League so.. Our biggest trophy droughts in the last 50 years or so:

1968 Champions League win - 1977 Fa Cup win

1977 Fa Cup win - 1983 Fa Cup win

1985 Fa Cup win - 1990 Fa Cup win

Now it's been since 2017 Europa League...

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
5 years now...

Can't see this tide turning anytime soon!

PoTMS

5 years. Pathetic stuff from everyone at the club. Well done.

PoTMS

If tuchel Chelsea can win the Champions League, I can't see why we can't. There is still hope for that.
You'd need a) a competent man in charge and b) more than 11 players to choose from.

In short, there's more chance of Arsenal winning it than United.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
If tuchel Chelsea can win the Champions League, I can't see why we can't. There is still hope for that.
From what I've seen this season we don't have that same top level of performance that Chelsea put in on route to the final, forget the teams we're losing against as Chelsea shipped 5 to West Brom so that's irrelevant but it's the performances I don't see this lot being capable of

Irwin99

Another year :( . Maybe some freak accident will happen in the champions league where City, Bayern, PSG, Liverpool, Chelsea etc all go out next round.

Pintu

I’d say Di Matteo’s Chelsea is the team that gives everyone hope. Some big players, but a dreadful team that somehow escaped both Pep’s Barça and HeynckesBayern. The 2 best teams of the century.

Tuchel’s Chelsea had a very solid unit that almost didn’t concede any chances. They genuinely deserved it.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
You'd need a) a competent man in charge and b) more than 11 players to choose from.

In short, there's more chance of Arsenal winning it than United.
My concern with ralf is that it seems that he is losing the dressing room fast. I believe he is competent tactical, but you need also emotional intelligence aswell.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Don't think we're winning the Champions League so.. Our biggest trophy droughts in the last 50 years or so:

1968 Champions League win - 1977 Fa Cup win

1977 Fa Cup win - 1983 Fa Cup win

1985 Fa Cup win - 1990 Fa Cup win

Now it's been since 2017 Europa League...
The worst. And the last 2 trophies we won were second rate as well. 7 years since a meaningful trophy.

always_hoping

Worst run biggest club in the world and i don't expect the trophy drought to end next season either.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
My friend.
Don't do this to yourself.

Oh dear.... all on the Champions League now, I guess.
:lol:

That's like saying, "Well I asked out the girl next door and she rejected me. So, I guess it's all on my other neighbour who is an international supermodel. She's my best chance. She'll say, 'yes'....hopefully".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.