5 years without a trophy - Further away than ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

laughtersassassin

We are officially 4 years without a trophy. In that time we have been in the EL twice where we have arguably the best team.

It's simply not good enough.

This isn't an Ole out thread or anything. It's a thread about the club.

It can't be tolerated. We need to show some ambition. Build a proper team. A team that can win.

Our rebuilds take so long they never happen.

Whatever needs to be done the excuse simply need to stop. Whether that be additions or changes to the coaching staff or player etc etc.

For all the talk of Progress at the end of the day it's another poor season. We didn't progress where it mattered.

Approaching Lads it's only United vibes at this stage.
https://lastwonatrophy.co.uk/manchester-utd/

Edit:
Just knocked out of the Carling cup in the first game. Not a good start but not a disaster either. Disappointing.

If we win nothing again then it's a disaster. If we win something I'm happy for Ole to stay but my fear is we won't and somehow he will keep his job anyway.

Last edited:

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
At least we're not all about the ego.

MU655

Two and a half seasons without a trophy is a bit concerning.

Rodgers has a trophy with less spend and a month's less time at Leicester. Tuchel could end with a trophy after about 6 months.

eire-red

Look, it's not ideal, but let's face it, the EL is not where we want to be in the first place.

It would have been great to pick up the trophy, but let's just congratulate Villareal, clearly it means a lot more to them.

We need to review why we're in the EL in the first place, we should be aiming to be playing on Saturday night.

The PL and the CL, that's where we judge our progress. Willing the EL wouldn't have changed what we need to do this summer to compete.

Reactions: Theonas

Luke1995

Would you rather see the club going all out to buy ''proven world class players'' or getting rid of the big names and gambling on youth players ?

DeGea

Jose for all his faults, managed to get a group of at times disgruntled players to finish 2nd and win the EL. Ole needs to reflect on that. He is a nice man, but he needs to reflect on that painful truth.

laughtersassassin

Look, it's not ideal, but let's face it, the EL is not where we want to be in the first place.

It would have been great to pick up the trophy, but let's just congratulate Villareal, clearly it means a lot more to them.

We need to review why we're in the EL in the first place, we should be aiming to be playing on Saturday night.

The PL and the CL, that's where we judge our progress. Willing the EL wouldn't have changed what we need to do this summer to compete.
Would get the trophy monkey off our back.

Where do we go from here for next season?
Realistically we won't be near the CL or PL.

So that leaves Carling Cup and FA Cup. 2 trophies with 1 being a must win.

The chance to win trophies have been there and we have bottled them. Lost our last 2 finals. Lose most Semi Finals we get too.

I don't want to be negative but where it matters we aren't progressing.

We are getting worse at winning silverware.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
We need to get used to the reality of not winning things. 4 years isn't a blip it's a new normal.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It's not a surprise. Our football is average. We just aren't as plucky in the cups as we were under experienced managers like lvg and Mourinho.

Nobody really cares though as we just won the coveted 2nd placed trophy.

Zoo

If you get to the final you need to win it especially when the opposition is Villarreal. This is a real setback for the club and Ole.

ForeverRed1

All while we watch on while Liverpool win the league for the first time in 30 years, a champions league and just as glorious, we get to watch city pretty much dominate football...

what a great time to be a united fan.:(

dove

Trophies are overrated anyway. Smiles and progress is all that matters.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Where we "want to be" doesn't really matter given the Europa League is our current level. We are miles away from winning the big 2 so you have to try and win what you actually can.

eire-red

Would get the trophy monkey off our back.

Where do we go from here for next season?
Realistically we won't be near the CL or PL.

So that leaves Carling Cup and FA Cup. 2 trophies with 1 being a must win.

The chance to win trophies have been there and we have bottled them. Lost our last 2 finals. Lose most Semi Finals we get too.

I don't want to be negative but where it matters we aren't progressing.

We are getting worse at winning silverware.
I think we shouldn't lose sight of what's really important. Picking up cups like the EL, FA Cup etc. of course would be great.

But winning the EL tonight wouldn't have convinced me we were any closer to competing at the highest level.

I'm not saying we should become Spurs under Poch, but the end goal is to compete in the PL, and go deep into the semi's. Where we need to improve hasn't changed.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I think we are a long way off winning something big like the CL or PL. It was a horror show tonight. Dont get me wrong i was expecting a tough match that we would win 1-0 or 2-1. But we barely got going. 15 minutes in the second half and that was it.

I was reading Fergusons book and he spoke about having read Vince Lombardi, who in turn said you have to be able to motivate the players. You have to be able to get inside their heads. It is worrying for Ole in that regard, although i still back him. But how is it that Guardiola has gotten to 14 finals and won them all.

laughtersassassin

I think we shouldn't lose sight of what's really important. Picking up cups like the EL, FA Cup etc. of course would be great.

But winning the EL tonight wouldn't have convinced me we were any closer to competing at the highest level.

I'm not saying we should become Spurs under Poch, but the end goal is to compete in the PL, and go deep into the semi's. Where we need to improve hasn't changed.
Football is about trophies if you can't win the best ones you damn we'll need to start by winning the smaller ones.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I agree with the poster who said we should not even be in the position in the first place because we should have gotten out of our CL group.

Still though we should have put in a better performance. I can take having 12 shots on goal and being unlucky. But tonights performance was terrible.

TafeaFC

As a neutral I'd say give Ole more time, definitely. It would mean so much more to win a trophy with him at the helm rather than the "latest flavour of the month". He is after all a cult icon. Tonight you were unlucky. You can't really blame Ole, some players let him down. You pretty much dominated most of the 90 minutes. In extra time Villareal were putting on more pressure but to lose on penalties, it's cruel. It's a throw of the dice. If you really have to choose a scape goat then choose De Gea, he never really seemed confident, but again he has been such a great servant for you great club over the years. It's hard to say.

Sometimes things like this just happen in football, just be optimistic about the future, and above all else, at least you look more organised than Liverpool! United will always be a great club and will be there or thereabouts near winning big trophies.

laughtersassassin

When you look back on a season in a few years all that matters is what you won. League position makes no difference.

I'm not really Ole out and I badly wanted Jose gone but at the end of the day his seasons added together where better than Oles.

2 trophies and 2nd versus Zilch and 2nd.

Blood Mage

The first problem is that we have nobody at the club with any plan or vision. We chase after marquee players every transfer window instead of identifying signings who fit the manager's style and system, which of course brings us to the second problem being that Ole has no real style or system.

Born2Lose

I couldn't care less if it's 10 years as long as we get rid of the overpaid, overrated dross at the club.

A lot of trophies have been papering over the cracks.

bsCallout

We’re too good for the League Cup and Europa League, even though we can’t win them. It’s League and CL or nothing. We need to get of our fecking high horse and come to reality.
That mentality worked fine for Liverpool to be fair.

Lost 3-1 in Europa final then had a CL final two seasons later, a winner medal the season after and a Prem title the season after that.

laughtersassassin

That mentality worked fine for Liverpool to be fair.

Lost 3-1 in Europa final then had a CL final two seasons later, a winner medal the season after and a Prem title the season after that.
We don't have Klopp. Safe to say that won't be us mate.

Ole been here a couple of seasons now. 1 more without a trophy can't be accepted.

He's got 12 months imo

TafeaFC

I know some of you United fans might feel like Solskjaer's time is up, but for other football fans, even just hearing his name takes us back to the glory days of when you literally dominated the league and Europe, the great teams you had in the past. IF he can bring back those good feelings, if the players respect what he did back then surely that is better than any alternative. It means more. It's what United is about. Plus at least he has learned under literally the greatest manager of all time. That must certainly stand for something. He has a better track record than any other past legends such as Shearer, Henry, Bergkamp, Zola, Cantona, Ginola etc. He has been brave to take on the biggest job in world football. He tried to make his own career rather than living on past accomplishments. You have to respect him for that. He is putting his legacy on the line right now. You need to get behind him, please.

Conclusively, which other managers who are available would you sign exactly?

Status
Not open for further replies.