5 years without a trophy - Further away than ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Ridiculous__

The name says it all
If we continue to rely on Martial and Rashford for goals, it'll be another 4 years... as good as this transfer window has been, we are nowhere near good enough in front of goal to fight for the title.
We scored 121 goals last year

JustCoco

Supports
Red Devils
We could do and imo would do better if they also dropped this 'lets give a new contract to... Ole wont pick him, but it protects our asset and an excuse not to keep buying a lot of players in one go' attitude.
Yes exactly.

We took too long to rid of deadwood like Young, Rojo and Smalling yet still have Jones and Mata, Lingard being given new contract after new contract.
Young players that have already been established as not good enough like Andreas have still not been moved on because the club are holding out praying for a payday when it will never come.

The people handling negotiations need to accept that boats sail and you sometimes have to ship people off for nothing because they’re just not good enough, regardless of transfer fee.

wolvored

We scored 121 goals last year
Yes but 40% were scored in cup competitions. 73 goals is nowhere near enough to win the league. We need to find at least another 15 -20 goals to realistically have a chance to win the league.

8thWonder

Yes but 40% were scored in cup competitions. 73 goals is nowhere near enough to win the league. We need to find at least another 15 -20 goals to realistically have a chance to win the league.
Rashford coming back fit, Greenwood hitting his stride sooner, Cavani being match fit from the start, Sancho, Martial having a better year... All if's, buts and maybes (although none too outlandish) but I'd be amazed if all of them didn't have better numbers than last season at United.

I don't think we struggle to make that 15-20 goals up to be honest.

JustCoco

Supports
Red Devils
Rashford coming back fit, Greenwood hitting his stride sooner, Cavani being match fit from the start, Sancho, Martial having a better year... All if's, buts and maybes (although none too outlandish) but I'd be amazed if all of them didn't have better numbers than last season at United.

I don't think we struggle to make that 15-20 goals up to be honest.
Unfortunately Rashford being fit is only half the problem fixed, we need him to be refocused and firing again, too.
I hope we see Rashford with barrels loaded this season because his output wasn’t great last season.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Feels like we are slightly under the radar this time. People that I talk to and media I'm seeing tend to be focusing on City with Chelsea as the main challengers. United don't really seem to be in the conversation.

wolvored

Feels like we are slightly under the radar this time. People that I talk to and media I'm seeing tend to be focusing on City with Chelsea as the main challengers. United don't really seem to be in the conversation.
Thats probably right. As it stands with the clubs and transfers in so far, we will be battling 3/4 place with Liverpool.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Thats probably right. As it stands with the clubs and transfers in so far, we will be battling 3/4 place with Liverpool.
Not sure Chelsea are all that really, yes they did incredibly well to win the CL but they also just about managed a top 4 position and lost the FA cup to Leicester. They're solid but unspectacular, I don't think it'll translate well to a league campaign.

tomaldinho1

Just wait until Varane gets pictured in a United shirt and we batter Leeds first game. Grealish for £100m is great though as onus basically is only on them as it stands. United should be right up there this time though, Sancho will bring a lot more balance.

RC89

City only scored 10 more. While it's not all about scoring and of course we need to consider our defensive record too, I don't think we need to score 15-20 more. 10 more and concede 10 less puts us in with a big shout. Not confident we will score 10 more though but let's see where the season takes us.

RC89

Not sure Chelsea are all that really, yes they did incredibly well to win the CL but they also just about managed a top 4 position and lost the FA cup to Leicester. They're solid but unspectacular, I don't think it'll translate well to a league campaign.
You have to consider their change since Tuchel. Yes they barely got into top 4 but they were 9th when he took over. So Tuchels team went from 9th to 4th, got to two finals and won the biggest club competition.

I think it's fair to say that his Chelsea have been excellent thus far. Whether that translates to them being competitive next season in the league remains to be seen but if we were to guess now you'd have to consider them a real threat for the title. In fact, I'd say their second favourites behind City if they sign Kounde and Lukaku. And without those two they're still a threat.

JebelSherif

Supports
Huddersfield Town
You have to consider their change since Tuchel. Yes they barely got into top 4 but they were 9th when he took over. So Tuchels team went from 9th to 4th, got to two finals and won the biggest club competition.

I think it's fair to say that his Chelsea have been excellent thus far. Whether that translates to them being competitive next season in the league remains to be seen but if we were to guess now you'd have to consider them a real threat for the title. In fact, I'd say their second favourites behind City if they sign Kounde and Lukaku. And without those two they're still a threat.
Good points. I think that Timo Werner could be a key player for them this season.

He is obviously well thought of by the manager for his all round play, holding the ball, movement etc. but was there anyone worse at finishing last season? was there anyone more off-side than him, last season?

If he could start scoring goals and if he gets a couple and finds his confidence, he could then get 20+ so even without Lukaku they could be a very big shout for the title. It will be interesting to see how the return of fans impacts on him, their backing could supply that missing confidence or maybe make him more nervous, who knows?

laughtersassassin

Another Cup albeit a small one to show how much bottling we have done over the years.

We need a trophy. Any trophy at this stage.

It's about getting the monkey off the players backs and the coaching staffs . They aren't winners when it matter and they need to be.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I mean what's the problem? It's a sad but relevant reflection of where we are

We have progressed slightly but until we win some trophies we aren't anywhere near where we need or want to be.
You know when you feel alone and you look up pictures if your ex and make yourself feel even worse. That's this thread.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I mean what's the problem? It's a sad but relevant reflection of where we are

We have progressed slightly but until we win some trophies we aren't anywhere near where we need or want to be.
are you just going to bump this thread everytime someone wins something that isn't us? Just so I know whether I need to put you and this thread on ignore or not

laughtersassassin

You know when you feel alone and you look up pictures if your ex and make yourself feel even worse. That's this thread.
Ok. Put it on ignore so mate. No need for you to see it is there?

A forum is for opinions. Mine are on football which is relevant while yours are of your opinion of me which is not relevant to the thread.

laughtersassassin

are you just going to bump this thread everytime someone wins something that isn't us? Just so I know whether I need to put you and this thread on ignore or not
Eh go through the whole thing I posted in it a lot at the beginning and then stopped.

Other people may have been bumping it but not me.

This is the first time I've bumped it as far as I remember and well I did so as the way Chelsea won was relevant to when I started the thread.

So maybe rethink your assumption that I "Keep" bumping the thread.

Not that I need to justify myself to you.

VivaRonaldo85

I can’t help think of Chelsea winning the Champions League last season and feel disappointed with United winning nothing in 4 years despite the investment. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to have serious expectation of silver ware this season.

BazzaBear

Definately Banned
Another Cup albeit a small one to show how much bottling we have done over the years.

It's about getting the monkey off the players backs and the coaching staffs . They aren't winners when it matter and they need to be.
So your point is that Chelsea are great because they drew with Villareal, and United are shite because they drew with Villareal?

laughtersassassin

So your point is that Chelsea are great because they drew with Villareal, and United are shite because they drew with Villareal?
Nope, where did you pull that from?

Just an apt comparison the way they won is all.

Them changing the keeper as we should have done etc etc

Football is fine margins and all that. And for the past few years we get this fine margins wrong for multiple reasons.

We have had a team good enough to win the odd trophy here or there. It's fairly reasonable to question why it hasn't happened for a while yet. I'm sure the same questions occur within the club.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
In the last 3 months every single shootout has been won by the team taking the first penalty. Only in one of those did the team winning the toss chose to go second themselves . Proud of the level of shit at this club with no attention to detail

croadyman

Got everything crossed Rafa is going to walk in that dressing room and inspire this lot to finally win something

laughtersassassin

I know we can’t insult posters so I’ll just say that bumping this thread tonight is one of the stupidest things I’ve seen on redcafe (amongst very stiff competition)
Is it? I just said that we need to win a any trophy at all this year just to get the monkey off the players back. Hardly an outlandish statement.

MUFC OK

8 years since a trophy that we should be giving a feck about.

FA cup didnt save LVG, League Cup and Euorpa didnt buy Jose much time. I want one of the big trophies but cannot see us winning either again this season.

MUFC OK

Liverpool won nothing for 7 years from 2012 to 2019. They won one trophy (a league cup) in 13 years from 2006-2019.

I'm only interested in the PL & CL personally.

Matthew84!

Utd don't have a devine right to win anything, however much I want them to win and all the ones we should of won, its just cycles in football.
I think now more than ever its harder to win anything, you need alot of luck especially in the cups.
All that being said were getting closer,

Neymar

Not a peasant
Supports
Neymar & Messi
It's on Ole to get the boys fired up and ready to challenge for trophies, as now he can have no complaints about the squad. We've signed world class forward Sancho, who is actually much better than Grealish despite all the hype, and Varane who is one of the most decorated players in the game with multiple CL and international trophies to his name.

I'm expecting our beat season in years, and tbh anything else will be a big let down.

Eli Zee

4th place is seen as 'success'. Some fanbases down the years have celebrated it like they've won a fecking trophy!

fecked up.

FOURTH!
It's better than 5th. Also, it is a success if you aren't as good as the other teams in the top 5-6

JebelSherif

Supports
Huddersfield Town
Shame its the first weekend of the season & not the last!

JebelSherif

Supports
Huddersfield Town
It's on Ole to get the boys fired up and ready to challenge for trophies, as now he can have no complaints about the squad. We've signed world class forward Sancho, who is actually much better than Grealish despite all the hype, and Varane who is one of the most decorated players in the game with multiple CL and international trophies to his name.

I'm expecting our beat season in years, and tbh anything else will be a big let down.
The way the league is panning out - to be successful will mean winning the mini-league of 6/7 top clubs (Chelsea/City/Utd./Liverpool/Leicester plus possibly Spurs, maybe West Ham) whilst not slipping up against the relegation contenders and getting success in nearly all the games vs the mid-table-type teams.

I consider Southampton to be amongst the relegation contenders, this is a poor result as regards the league and as has been said, of all the trophys available, this is the one that really matters.

JebelSherif

Supports
Huddersfield Town
So this could turn out to have been a momentous week for Man Utd. Ronaldo snatched from under the noses of Man City, Kane staying at Spurs & the 1:1 draw between Liverpool and Chelsea yesterday, meaning that as this pesky international break happens Utd. are not playing catch-up. I really wish these international games happened at some other time though, the Premier league has just got going, my fantasy football team has just got going! and now a two week gap grrrrrr.

Anyway, this thread will not have to be edited to say 5-years.... I'm certain of that.

copen1945

What a week it has been. The players must be buzzing. They should be pushing for the league.

JebelSherif

Supports
Huddersfield Town
Really good, positive words, from OGS in the press today - he must be sure this drought is almost at an end:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/16053491/man-utd-better-1999-solskjaer-treble/

"Ole Gunnar Solksaer has told his Manchester United stars that they are better than the club’s heroes of ‘99. The Red Devils manager believes signing Cristiano Ronaldo makes his side title favourites and stronger than the Treble winners he played with 22 years ago."

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Really good, positive words, from OGS in the press today - he must be sure this drought is almost at an end:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/16053491/man-utd-better-1999-solskjaer-treble/

"Ole Gunnar Solksaer has told his Manchester United stars that they are better than the club’s heroes of ‘99. The Red Devils manager believes signing Cristiano Ronaldo makes his side title favourites and stronger than the Treble winners he played with 22 years ago."
The mentality of that group of lads & this one, Ronaldo aside, is night and day. Those lads were winners. This squad has bottled every big game they’ve ever had.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
I wonder if he’s saying it purely to motivate or because he genuinely believes that? And if someone can get away with saying that, it would be the one who scored the treble-winning goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.