5 years without a trophy - Further away than ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
I think it's clear as day that after such stellar recruitment, tangible results need to be there. And really happy that the manager is confident of that.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I wonder if he’s saying it purely to motivate or because he genuinely believes that? And if someone can get away with saying that, it would be the one who scored the treble-winning goal.
It sounds like the sort of thing your parents would say.
YOU were cleverer than me, but I worked harder...

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
I mean what's the problem? It's a sad but relevant reflection of where we are

We have progressed slightly but until we win some trophies we aren't anywhere near where we need or want to be.
"A sad reflection of where we are..."

We finished second in the league and reached a European Final last season and just bought Sancho, Varane and Ronaldo.

PMSL!

Things go in cycles. That's football. There are no guarantees.

Having said that, Chelsea, Everton, City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs have all gone longer periods in modern history without winning anything.

In fact every team in the league in the league have gone longer spells than United without winning anything and you have to go back to 1968-1977 (eight seasons) for us to do worse than anyone else.

A little bit of perspective needed here...:boring:

laughtersassassin

We finished second in the league and reached a European Final last season and just bought Sancho, Varane and Ronaldo.

PMSL!

Having said that, Chelsea, Everton, City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs have all gone longer periods in modern history without winning anything.

In fact every team in the league in the league have gone longer spells than United without winning anything and you have to go back to 1968-1977 (eight seasons) for us to do worse than anyone else.

Ok......

Definitely worth the bump that.

Anyway our spending is absurd for how bad we have done. We are improving but there have been years of feck ups as the club was and in some ways still is badly run.

Ole has clearly helped with how it's run and is bringing in great players and he should still have is job as he does but even he should have won a trophy by now.

He had the benefit of being in a competition where he had the best squad 2 years in a row.

JebelSherif

Supports
Huddersfield Town
This has got to be ended this year - Utd. are on their way now for sure.

0le

I think we will win the league cup this season.

0le

God I hope not, that’s barely a trophy.
Okay, well you can be content with winning nothing whilst the rest of us are happy to win the league cup and look forward to next season with that bogey out of the way for a number of players.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Okay, well you can be content with winning nothing whilst the rest of us are happy to win the league cup and look forward to next season with that bogey out of the way for a number of players.
This team is better than that. League or champions league please!

redmanx

PMSL!

We went 26 years without winning the League but it took Liverpool 30 years before they were top again. It was 50 years before Chelsea won their second League title. Overall, United have been pretty consistent winning trophies in each decade since WW2. None of Liverpool, Spurs, Chelsea, or City have managed that.

HucknallRed

A trophy won would be a start, but Ronnie’s not come for a league cup. I can see improvements happening quickly, if we can string a number of wins together then confidence and the fear factor will come.

JebelSherif

Supports
Huddersfield Town
Everyone needs to calm down, this season I'm certain Man Utd. will win a trophy - maybe two.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
I've been Ole In but if we go trophy less this season aswell then Ole should walk. The only exception being if we lose the league by a couple of points or get beat in the semis or final of the CL.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Speak for yourself. I genuinely do not think “the rest of us” will be particularly happy with the League Cup if I’m honest. FA perhaps, depending on how well we challenge on other fronts.

Uniquim

We're top of the league, and our only loss so far this season came in a game being a man down for an hour, and an individual error leading to the second conceded goal in that particular game. Things are looking positive, for the most part.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Speak for yourself. I genuinely do not think “the rest of us” will be particularly happy with the League Cup if I’m honest. FA perhaps, depending on how well we challenge on other fronts.
Ole doesn't fare well in knockout tournaments, so only the league is realistic target unless Ole stops with his cautious approach in cup ties.

I'd be content if we won the league cup and the fa cup and finished top 4 and progressed passed the group stage in the CL.

redmanx

We're top of the league, and our only loss so far this season came in a game being a man down for an hour, and an individual error leading to the second conceded goal in that particular game. Things are looking positive, for the most part.
9 out of 10 we would beat this team, they played well but they were their league champions and at home; they got lucky, twice. That said, I didnt agree with taking Ronaldo off, hes always likely to grab a goal 10 men or not.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I agree. Some of Ole’s subs last night were baffling but there’s no need to throw a wobbly just yet.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
So far we have played Leeds & Newcastle home & Saints & Wolves away as well as Young Boys.
Big deal. Let’s see how we stand after 10 games.

maximus419

So far we have played Leeds & Newcastle home & Saints & Wolves away as well as Young Boys.
Big deal. Let’s see how we stand after 10 games.
I always say look at the league table in November, because by then, you tend to have played around 4 or 5 good teams and league table starts to show true form.

I must say though, despite being top, it's only the home matches, admittedly against two poor teams, where utd have looked good. The away performances have been sub par and hopefully, this is just a response to getting used to added pressure, from fans supporting the home team.

Getting 3 new players into any team takes time to adapt. When you add into that injuries to rashford, mctominay and fitness issues for cavani and martial, this is not a team up to full speed. It may take another 4-5 weeks before they find peak fitness and form so it would be unfair to judge the team until November time at least.

Then we can have the conversation about the team's chances of success this campaign.

0le

5 years without a trophy, multiple bottle jobs at semi-finals and one final, one oil funded club and a state funded club with which to compete and yet you and a minority of others remain extremely picky about what trophy you want to win.

stw2022

Trophies matter but they're not the be all and end all. A club like ours should be winning cups as a further indication of our superiority not as a sign that we're 'back'. I'd rather see progress in the league and by which I mean challenging, not just being the nearest furthest away team to a side who wins the league without breaking sweat. Winning a league cup or FA Cup and mounting a serious challenge in the league is grand. Winning a cup because you can't challenge for your domestic title - that's fine for an Arsenal or a West Ham and maybe I'm deluded but I'm not ready to accept that's where we should be.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
5 years without a trophy, multiple bottle jobs at semi-finals and one final, one oil funded club and a state funded club with which to compete and yet you and a minority of others remain extremely picky about what trophy you want to win.
If you think… I’m more of the opinion that a League Cup win will only be looked on favourably if it acts as a spring board for another final and taking the league into the last couple weeks. Otherwise it’s a trinket on stagnation with a much improved squad (some of whom will have reached two European finals last year, or had the previous experience of winning them)

I’m not Ole Out by the way, if you’re implying that. I think he has significant weaknesses which are liable to be exposed in Europe, but I also don’t think his job deserves to be on the line as he’s just about reached every minimal seasonal requirement for improvement so far and recruited well… plus there isn’t an obvious choice for at the moment, as Conte isn’t a reasonable long term option…

However I also don’t think “just getting over the line in ANY cup” is as big a deal as made out, as basically everyone has now either won something bigger in their career, or come within a single shootout penalty of doing so… That should be enough of a taste ‘experience’ wise to render any supposed catharsis from winning the lowest pot in the English system rather unsatisfactory.. Klopp (whose seasonal improvement at Liverpool was often used as comparison) didn’t go from losing the Europa League to winning the Coca Cola Cup. He won the Champions League the next year… as did Tuchel after losing with PSG…. Not that those need to be the only legitimate equivalences, but they should at least be the goal.

If we get the CL final and take the league all the way, I’ll be mostly happy without a cup, for example. As that will be a genuinely tangible measure of standards, as opposed to beating the equivalent of Southampton in January - something that didn’t exactly propel Jose’s side (and everyone still here from then who have, you know, already won it!) onto anything greater. It’s Ole who needs to win something, not most of his players, and I don’t think it’ll be particularly healthy for his authority if those players and the fans are expected to see getting just him over the lowest possible line as good enough for them and the club.

As I said… depends on how we challenge on other fronts. If we don’t qualify from a relatively easy CL group (which I think we still will) then the Sports drink pot means feck all.

Last edited:

padzilla

Hipster
I think what needs to be happening is we need to be challenging for major honours which we haven't been doing under Ole at this point.
Finishing second in the league is irrelevant if you're so far behind the league's over at the start of March.
There needs to be a credible title challenge this season and/or a run to the last four of the CL to say he's making the tangible kind of progress we want to see, the other trophies like League Cups and FA Cups and Europa Leagues are not what Manchester United measure themselves by.

JebelSherif

Supports
Huddersfield Town
One thing that every team needs to win something is a heap of luck. Utd. were lucky on Sunday because David Moyes made a mistake....

I know he is Scottish, but even he must have seen the Euro2020 (21) final and that decision was a daft one to make.

JebelSherif

Supports
Huddersfield Town
That is one opportunity gone.... not good.

I know some people poo-poo this Carabao trophy, but for Manchester Utd. any trophy would be good (especially for the manager) and the good thing about this one is, you can win it in February and then concentrate on more prized tournaments.

This will just add to the pressure too.

el3mel

Well that's one less trophy to worry about. 3 more and we complete 5 years without one. Keep going.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I couldn’t care less about the cup itself.

It’s giving squad players a game that will hurt.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Good to see a United manager managing a smile after losing in the 3rd round of the league cup at home. It’s just a game I guess

NK86

1 trophy lost. 3 to go. If Ole doesn't win a trophy this season, we can thank him for his services and move on to someone who will help us win. Any manager worth his salt should be able to win something with this group of players.

SER19

Glad we're out. Some disappointing patterns persisting in our play.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Another chance at a trophy gone. I really hope we don’t end up doing an Arsenal from 05-onwards but it looks more and more likely each year.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
All on the FA Cup or another trophyless season it will be

Status
Not open for further replies.