5 years without a trophy - Further away than ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

el3mel

The problem is we had the easiest run of fixtures among our opposition and at the end we lost 5 points. Chelsea faced Arsenal, City and Liverpool, City faced Chelsea, Leicester, Tottenham and Arsenal, and guess what ? They both have the same points as us, who didn't face a single big team yet.

MichaelRed

The problem is we had the easiest run of fixtures among our opposition and at the end we lost 5 points. Chelsea faced Arsenal, City and Liverpool, City faced Chelsea, Leicester, Tottenham and Arsenal, and guess what ? They both have the same points as us, who didn't face a single big team yet.
Legit, we just lost 3 in 4 of an easy run-in. After the international break we have Leicester (A), Atalanta (H), Liverpool (H), Spurs (A), Atalanta (A), Man City (H), Watford (A), Villarreal (A), Chelsea (A), Arsenal (H). I could see us possibly not winning all of those except Watford. Of course we'll probably win a few more but I wouldn't fancy us. Bye Ole.

Zen86

"Ask your mom how young I was when I did her is one of the obvious come back" but yeah piss off. You probably were in diapers when city take over happened, just compared the numbers without any context.

Shame for the weird "didn't invest" reason City are not struggling when they didn't invest or invested on shit players after their first league title. But then "blinkered idiot with mental gymnastics", so can't expect any sense.
It’s ok. You’re too stupid to understand, I get it.

patter

Sir Alex used 6 years for the first trophy.
In Ole, we trust.

laughtersassassin

Sir Alex used 6 years for the first trophy.
In Ole, we trust.
People shouldn't compare Ole to Sir Alex. They are incomparable.

Sir Alex was already a successful manager before United.

Ole was not. I'm not even Ole out I'm for giving him the rest of the year unless we get knocked out of the CL group.

Also it took Ferguson 3 and a bit years not six!

But to compare Ole to Fergie is an insult to Ferguson's career before United.

romufc

Ole was not. I'm not even Ole out I'm for giving him the rest of the year unless we get knocked out of the CL group.

I really find people who do this completely out of tune in football.

How people can even think to compare the two, is beyond me.

There are so many variables from then to now, its a complete joke even bringing that argument up. Its almost as if no one knows what Fergie did before.

Anyway, We will most definitely hit 5 years with no trophy.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner

1. Ole had success in Norway. Is it as good as the success Ferguson had in a better league and in European competition with Aberdeen? No. But “incomparable” is rubbish. Nobody at the time cared what Ferguson had done in Scotland when it wasn’t going well for him here because it’s incomparable to England, same with Ole now with his success in Norway.

2. Ferguson won his first trophy in his 4th season. This is Ole’s 4th season.

laughtersassassin

1. Ole had success in Norway. Is it as good as the success Ferguson had in a better league and in European competition with Aberdeen? No. But “incomparable” is rubbish. Nobody at the time cared what Ferguson had done in Scotland when it wasn’t going well for him here because it’s incomparable to England, same with Ole now with his success in Norway.

2. Ferguson won his first trophy in his 4th season. This is Ole’s 4th season.
1. Ferguson didn't come to England and get relegated though. And his achievements where much bigger. Scottish football was better and he had that famous win over Real Madrid in the European cup winners Cup. Night and day difference to Ole.

2. Yes I know that. I was replying to an idiot who tried to claim Ferguson took 6 years. I'm for giving Ole this season unless we get knocked out of the CL group as it is the easiest in the competition.

3. Ferguson was picked to be our manager. Ole fell into the job because we needed a caretaker. He had a brilliant first few months followed by an equally shit last few months before being given the contract.
With how his caretaker period ended he was lucky to still get the job.

By the end of this season Ole will have been here 3 and a half seasons and been in multiple cups where he had the best team (EL twice)

A trophy should rightly be the requirement.

Last edited:

JebelSherif

Supports
Huddersfield Town
Which Utd. will win something first? Manchester or Necastle!!!?

Denis79

It's not the points, it's the poor performances that scare me. Again we are so inconsistent...

Infra-red

If you had to pick a post-SAF United manager to lead us into a must-win, one-off game (let's say a big final), who would you pick?

Hate to say it, but Ole might be my last choice, maybe even behind Moyes.

Daengophile

Whilst it is right for Manchester United to expect funding from its owners to be applied to coaching and playing resources, the problem we face is the different visions that Moyes, LvG and Mourinho had and the mish mash of a squad that we ended up with.

OGS has weeded out some players and been pretty good with the impact of his additions but we still aren't there yet.

We all called for "attack, attack, attack" now we need defense, defense, defence which, despite the depth of personnel, is not performing

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
As unromantic as it is to say, league position is more valuable than the fa and league cups these days.

Would you prefer to be Arsenal finishing down the league but blagging the odd Cup or solid top 4 with 2nd last year?
It spoke volumes that the last time we won the FA Cup we still sacked the manager.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
As unromantic as it is to say, league position is more valuable than the fa and league cups these days.

Would you prefer to be Arsenal finishing down the league but blagging the odd Cup or solid top 4 with 2nd last year?
It spoke volumes that the last time we won the FA Cup we still sacked the manager.
It is no guarantee that we will get Top 4. This season we should, but if Newcastle get into their stride and just imagine if Spurs and Arsenal got took over by people who actually want to be competitive as well. Although if that happens it might make our owners rethink about keeping the club.

Foxbatt

It is no guarantee that we will get Top 4. This season we should, but if Newcastle get into their stride and just imagine if Spurs and Arsenal got took over by people who actually want to be competitive as well. Although if that happens it might make our owners rethink about keeping the club.
And then there would not be anyone rich enough to buy it to compete with City, Newcastle, Chelsea. Then Liverpool would beat us because they have a much better manager and decent players. So forget about trophies. We won't make the CL either.

Foxbatt

Brilliant article here, that could cause a few of us who have extremely short term memories to look over:

When Skies Are Grey
Very conveniently forgetting that he got the gig not because he has done anything of note as a manager. He got it because he scored the winning goal in the CL final.
If he had a track record of being a top manager like Fergie was before he came to United he would have lots of credit.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
If you had to pick a post-SAF United manager to lead us into a must-win, one-off game (let's say a big final), who would you pick?

Very good question.
For me it would be:
1, Jose
2, LVG
3, Moyes
4 Ole

Foxbatt

Very good question.
For me it would be:
1, Jose
2, LVG
3, Moyes
4 Ole
Jose won two finals. Three if you count the charity shield. The EL Final was a master class.
LVG won one. Moyes obviously never reached one in the only season. Ole reached one during his three and lost it. He should have won.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.

I'd choose Mourinho over Pep, Klopp and Tuchel in that scenario.

Nicolarra90

Cups are crap (bar CL and EL to certain extent)

It's 8 years without a truly meaningul trophy. The problem is beyond Ole and it's been here for very long. SAF was good enough to hide it.

Abraxas

But what is the significance of the question? To once again make the rather obvious point that Ole has bungled a few trophy winning opportunities?

We already know Ole has lost a couple of these types of games and Mourinho and LVG won something so it just seems a roundabout way to compare Ole with possibly one of our worst ever appointments.

J.Cruyff

Supports
Barcelona & Ajax
So very surprising that so many ‘Utd fans don’t really appreciate/know about Sir Alex’s achievements pre his Man Utd days.

if someone has the time a well written new thread would be great. Someone who knows and can provide context, like the strength of the Scottish league at that time. The level of achievement in breaking the strangle hold of the big two. Some video clips of the big games and defining moments.

Status
Not open for further replies.