4000 consecutive first team matches with homegrown player(s) in the squad

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
When Manchester United take on Everton on 15 December, it will be the 4000th senior match in succession in which at least one youth graduate is represented in the Reds’ first-team or matchday squad. This extraordinary record stretches back over nine decades to before the Second World War.

The 4000th game comes at a time of renewed vibrancy in United’s youth development pipeline, with 10 first-team debuts for Academy graduates so far this season and home-grown players accounting for over a third of our total minutes played by all first teamers.

Today’s youth graduates – including Paul Pogba, Jesse Lingard, Andreas Pereira, Marcus Rashford, Axel Tuanzebe, Scott McTominay and Mason Greenwood – are adding to a rich heritage which has been at the heart of the club’s identity since the 4000 game-run began in 1937.
Duncan Edwards, Bill Foulkes, Sir Bobby Charlton, Nobby Stiles, George Best, Norman Whiteside, Mark Hughes, Ryan Giggs, Gary Neville, David Beckham, Paul Scholes and Darren Fletcher are among the graduates who have graced the first team in the 82 years since.

The club’s dedication to the development of home-grown talent is, and will remain, a core part of the club’s identity and strategy, with the aim of building further generations of successful and exciting United teams in keeping with the spirit of the Busby Babes and the Class of '92.

Ed Woodward, Executive Vice-Chairman, said:
“The Academy is a huge part of who we are as a club and what we want to achieve. We ultimately want to develop young players who are talented enough to wear the Manchester United shirt, but we also want to develop good people who are humble, confident, disciplined and creative. This milestone also gives us an opportunity to reflect on some of the teams and individuals who have helped to bring so much success to Manchester United and to remind us of the ongoing importance of developing the next generation of young players.”
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, said:
“Giving young players a chance is a tradition that we are very proud of; it’s part of our DNA and you learn that very quickly when you join the club. Nothing gives me more pleasure than seeing a player that has come through our Academy thriving on the football pitch. Young players can only surprise you and impress you when you give them a chance to show their talent. It’s a milestone that we are proud of and long may it continue!”
Nick Cox, Head of Academy, said:
“This is an incredible achievement for everyone at the Academy. The record spans over 80 years and throughout that time youth has played a part in every significant landmark in the club’s history. This has taken lot of hard work, dedication and passion from a long succession of youth developers. I pay a huge tribute to each and every member of staff, player and family member involved. This unrivalled record has been built steadily by wonderful people over many years and we’ll ensure that the Academy remains the lifeblood of the club.”
Nicky Butt, Head of First Team Development, said:
“This is an amazing record; it tells you everything about Manchester United. The ultimate aim for the Academy is to get players into the first team and for that to have happened for 4000 consecutive games is an extraordinary achievement. So much goes into the development of an individual player; there are coaches, scouts, kit men, chefs, ground staff, teachers, landladies, drivers and so much more. Everyone at the club plays a vital role and should be extremely proud of this milestone.”

top1whoisman

Scout
Andreas Pereira’s route into the United Academy is different to the likes of Jes
se Lingard and Marcus Rashford, but one which is becoming increasingly common as scouts cast their gaze far and wide.

In an interview for the new issue of Inside United, our official club magazine, the midfielder explains how he came from Belgium to Manchester, via the Netherlands…

How did your journey into football begin?
“My dad [Marcos Antonio Pereira] was a professional footballer so I grew up with football in my house. I always used to see my dad train and play so I just wanted to be like him. He played for different teams and everywhere he played, I played in their academy. But I was still very young. In the last year when he played in the second division for Lommel, where we lived the most in Belgium, I really played a lot and enjoyed my football, and I went to PSV Eindhoven after that.”
When did your Manchester United Academy story begin?
“When I was 16, I joined from PSV Eindhoven. Since then I’ve felt part of a big, big family at United. They embraced me and I feel very much at home here.”
What was your first day like? Was it like a first day at school?
“Yeah. The first day I arrived, I met all the players and I was very nervous. I couldn’t believe it when I was in the training gear and I looked down and I saw the badge on. I thought, ‘I’m at Manchester United. I need to pinch myself.’ Then I said, ‘Now I need to work hard because I want to play in the first team and I want to get there.’ I remember the first training session, we played rugby! It was, for me, different because I had never really played it so I wasn’t used to it. It was a nice experience and it helped me to get tough.”
What were your first impressions of the Aon Training Complex?
“It was special. It’s something special even today. Today you feel there is something special in the building around you. It’s like the charisma of the club. The first team, the Reserves, the Under-18s and the people who work there all eat together. Everybody is together and, after five years at the club, I know everybody. It’s very nice and I feel at home. When I was a young boy at PSV, I just stayed with the other young boys and there was no mixing of the teams and age groups. Here, it’s a real family.”
Who were the biggest influences on you during your time in the Academy?
“Paul McGuinness [former Under-18s coach] helped me out a lot when I moved here. He helped me a lot when I had just arrived and I was adapting to English football. It was more physical. When I went up to the Reserves with Warren Joyce, I think he helped me a lot because he really toughened me up and made me ready for the first team and for men’s football. So I think for me personally, Warren had the biggest impression on me and he helped me the most, really. I felt myself going from a boy into a man and a grown-up.”
Do you have a favourite memory from your time in the Academy?
“I have a few. One of them is the first game I played, against a Norwegian team. It was at The Cliff, I scored two goals, so it was something special and a very happy day for me. After that, I will never forget the first time I trained with the first team, when Scholesy was there, Giggsy… everyone was there and it was just an unbelievable experience.”
If you had to persuade a young player to join our Academy instead of another club, what would you say to them?
“I think that’s quite easy. For me, United is the biggest club in the world. We have everything. We have the best coaches, the best players, the best fans and we’re known everywhere. I think if you’re a footballer, you want to play in big stadiums like Old Trafford. I think everybody wants to play for United. This talk actually happened when Timothy Fosu-Mensah came here. I was in the Reserves and he was visiting. I didn’t know him at the time but I speak Dutch so he asked me what the club was like. He had offers from other clubs but I told him, ‘You should come here, it’s the best club in the world. Don’t even think about it. If you come here and if you work hard, you will get a chance in the first team.’ Then he came, and to this day he remembers my advice.”
Of all the players who have come through the Academy at United, who do you think is the best one?
“That’s difficult… but I would say Paul Scholes and David Beckham. Of course, you have Giggsy who was also unbelievable but I look more at the players in my position so it’s more Scholesy or Becks for me.”

LInkash

DDG
AWB - Lindelof - Maguire - Jones - Shaw
Matic - Fred
Mata - Martial - James

Bench: Romero, Grant, Dalot, Rojo​

Do it Ole :drool:
It's crazy that we can't even fill the bench up if we don't use any academy products.

mark_a

It's a great record. I'm proud of the part my Grandad, Joe Armstrong played in that. He was one of Busby's first recruits when he came to United, they'd been friends since Busby had played at City. In fact Busby turned up with his suitcase to stay with him when he arrived in Manchester to join United in 1945.

Joe was local, 15 years Matt's senior and already had a network of scouts from scouting for City and having been around Manchester football since running a team in the 1920s in Levenshulme. As well as a scout, Joe was a general "fixer" around the club, as Louis Rocca was still chief scout. During his time at the club, 1945 to 1970, Joe discovered & recruited many legends from Roger Byrne, Bobby Charlton, Dennis Viollet, Wilf McGuinness, Nobby Stiles to Brian Kidd and many more. He always made sure the new young recruits were looked after & put in digs, buzzing around in the background at the club, while Jimmy Murphy and Busby got on with taking United to new heights.

I've never been sure why he isn't more well known! But then, he wasn't the public face of the club, except to parents of players coming to the club. He was secretive, modest and always very keen to defer to "The boss"!

Here's a piece from 1957:

Reactions: Carolina Red

baskinginthesun

Incredible achievement. As others have said, this is so underrated. I wonder how many footballers in total, the United academy has coached and turned into professional footballers world wide?

top1whoisman

Scout
Manchester United's youngsters are proud of the record being marked in Sunday's Premier League match against Everton at Old Trafford.

The clash with the Toffees is the 4,000th successive senior game to have featured a homegrown player in the United matchday squad, a run that started back in 1937, against Fulham. It is something the current crop of Academy stars are aware of and they appreciate being at a club that can celebrate such an achievement.

“If you look at other clubs, sometimes you don’t see an Academy player on the bench or even in the squad at all,” said Mason Greenwood. “At United, you always know before you look at the teamsheet, there is always going to be an Academy graduate already in the squad so it’s great.

”Four thousand is a lot, going back 80 years probably, and it’s great for the club knowing Manchester United does believe in the Academy and the process does work.“

Full-back Brandon Williams echoed those thoughts, saying: ”It’s an unbelievable moment – to have a youth player in 4,000 games is an achievement that is unique to the club and it just shows what the club is about. They believe in youth here and it works.“

Marcus Rashford believes one of the secrets behind the statistic is the excellent coaching within the system.

“The coaches are very good and they’re almost doing maybe 12 years of developing an individual,” he explained. “And, in those years, they can mould you into what they know a Man United player is. The coaching staff are very important. And I just can’t see it slowing down, us breeding players.”

The roll-call of famous names on the list since 1937 says everything about the history and tradition of the Reds, with the Busby Babes and Class of 92 featuring prominently.

“You see players like Becks [David Beckham], Nicky Butt, Scholesy [Paul Scholes],”commented Andreas Pereira. “You see all the ones who have come through and you know that young players will be given an opportunity if they’re good enough.”

Tahith Chong admits United are synonymous with youth development and that came across as soon as he joined the club from Feyenoord.

“I think, when you’re at United, that’s the thing that you really think about – boys coming through the Academy and playing for the first team,“ he said. ”That is really what United is all about.”

The Dutch winger's fellow countryman, Tim Fosu-Mensah, feels it is a message that stretches across the world and encourages youth talent to head to Manchester.

“For me, I had options when I was 16 to go to different clubs, other than United,“ he recalled. ”Obviously, United have a good understanding of the youth Academy to bring players to the first team.

“From when I came here, for me to become a first-team player, and not only me but a lot of other players who came through the Academy, says a lot about the club. It’s wonderful. For young players to see this – Marcus, Axel [Tuanzebe], Andreas, Scott [McTominay]– a lot of names, I think it definitely benefits the club and encourages more people to join United.”

RUCK4444

It's a great record. I'm proud of the part my Grandad, Joe Armstrong played in that. He was one of Busby's first recruits when he came to United, they'd been friends since Busby had played at City. In fact Busby turned up with his suitcase to stay with him when he arrived in Manchester to join United in 1945.

Joe was local, 15 years Matt's senior and already had a network of scouts from scouting for City and having been around Manchester football since running a team in the 1920s in Levenshulme. As well as a scout, Joe was a general "fixer" around the club, as Louis Rocca was still chief scout. During his time at the club, 1945 to 1970, Joe discovered & recruited many legends from Roger Byrne, Bobby Charlton, Dennis Viollet, Wilf McGuinness, Nobby Stiles to Brian Kidd and many more. He always made sure the new young recruits were looked after & put in digs, buzzing around in the background at the club, while Jimmy Murphy and Busby got on with taking United to new heights.

I've never been sure why he isn't more well known! But then, he wasn't the public face of the club, except to parents of players coming to the club. He was secretive, modest and always very keen to defer to "The boss"!

Awesome!! Must be great to have a direct link to the club like that. :)

It’s an unbelievable achievement this record.

VJ1762

Awesome bro! Any stories you would like to share about players from that era? Like anything that your grandfather might have told you.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
anyone knows what's the number of games our academy graduates have played in total for us? I would imagine it'll be something ridiculous like 20,000 or something.

top1whoisman

Scout
Amazing record. Anyone know who is in second place and how many games in a row for them?
Apparently Everton at about 2k
According to MEN: "Bizarrely, they will reach the landmark figure this weekend against their closest Premier League rivals in the academy production line stakes in Everton, but their run is almost 3000 games fewer."

Fitchett

Anyone know of any continental clubs records? I should imagine that Ajax, Barcelona and Athletic Bilbao have good records.

Will enjoy celebrating the club’s fantastic achievement at Old Trafford today, especially if an academy graduate scores a goal

According to MEN: "Bizarrely, they will reach the landmark figure this weekend against their closest Premier League rivals in the academy production line stakes in Everton, but their run is almost 3000 games fewer."
I might be wrong

But am sure I saw a mrmujac tweet that they were on 2k

Anyone know of any continental clubs records? I should imagine that Ajax, Barcelona and Athletic Bilbao have good records.

Will enjoy celebrating the club’s fantastic achievement at Old Trafford today, especially if an academy graduate scores a goal
There’s definitely mrmujac tweets about this

top1whoisman

Scout
I might be wrong

But am sure I saw a mrmujac tweet that they were on 2k
Read this as ”no other clubs than United over 2k”, so the MEN stats could be correct that Everton are somewhere between 1k and 2k.

Gorse Hill Red

I was thinking the same, I’m sure Ajax record of fielding academy players goes back decades.