40s Retro Football Fantasy Draft | Finished

Moby

Dick
All players born in the 1940s (1 Jan 1940 to 31 Dec 1949), are available for drafting. For the purpose of this competition, these players are considered at the level when they were in their prime. Each manager gets to pick 12 players to form a squad.

Competition format is straight knockouts, with 16 managers starting the first round.

Reinforcements
The order gets reversed after every round of fixtures for the remaining managers in the game. There will be two reinforcements after every round till the semis, and only one before the final.

Draft rules
* Managers will take turns to draft players (first round of draft will start with Manager 1 and end with manager 16, second round starts with Manager 16 and ends with Manager 1, third round will start from Manager 1, so and so forth)
* You have 8 hours to post your draft pick. If you do not do so, the draft proceeds to the next manager in line and it is up to you to post your draft pick at your earliest convenience.
* In this competition, players are considered at the level when they were in their prime.
* When posting your draft pick, please post a picture of the player. You can also briefly explain why you picked this player.
* Once you have posted your draft pick, you have to PM the manager next in line to inform him/her that it is his/her turn
* Once the draft is complete, match threads will be started where each manager posts their match team, tactics and any persuasive arguments why their team has an upper hand over the opposition etc.

Squads so far :

Aldo 1. Best 2. Chumpitaz 3. Pirri 4. Israel 5. Ademir da Guia 6. Boninsegna 7. Furino 8. Prati 9. Stepney 10. Lawler 11. F. Cruz 12. Sala
Chesterlestreet 1. Pelé 2. Greaves 3. Bremner 4. Corso 5. E. Hughes 6. Lorimer 7. Muntyan 8. Smith 9. Cooper 10. Pivarnik 11. Clemence 12. England
RedTiger 1. Beckenbauer 2. Oblak 3. Maier 4. Fischer 5. McNeill 6. Dobiaš 7. Tony Dunne 8. Sparwasser 9. Mifflin 10. McFarland 11. van der Kuijlen 12. Caju
Skizzo/Pat_Mustard 1. Cruyff 2. Keizer 3. Olsen 4. Gemmell 5. Murdoch 6. Jardine 7. Rexach 8. Hellström 9. Flohe 10. Kolotov 11. Morini 12. Acimovic
Gol123 1. Van Hanegem 2. Overath 3. Johnstone 4. Hulshoff 5. Kindvall 6. Rubén Marcos 7. Matosas 8. Skoblar 9. Pavoni 10. Ubiña 11. Tomaszewski 12. Nordqvist
Invictus 1. Eusébio 2. Mazzola 3. Haan 4. Suurbier 5. Perfumo 6. Weber 7. Bonev 8. Bransch 9. Carpegiani 10. Viktor 11. Rildo 12. Fazekas
Balu 1. G. Müller 2. Vogts 3. Rensenbrink 4. Dobrin 5. Benetti 6. Cuccureddu 7. Holcer 8. Jennings 9. Dinu 10. Magnusson 11. Frosio 12. Cullmann
ctp 1. Rivelino 2. Marzolini 3. Jansen 4. Heynckes 5. Höttges 6. Mészöly 7. Fichtel 8. Más 9. Iribar 10. Libuda 11. Velázquez 12. Toshack
crappycraperson 1. Moore 2. Tostão 3. Bene 4. Van Moer 5. Khurtsilava 6. Bell 7. Urbanczyk 8. Shilton 9. Domenghini 10. Asensi 11. Carrascosa 12. Bertini
Gio/Theon 1. Figueroa 2. Cubillas 3. Deyna 4. Clodoaldo 5. Bulgarelli 6. Rocha 7. Ancheta 8. Mazurkiewicz 9. Asparuhov 10. Shalamanov 11. Anczok 12. Meroni
NM/EAP 1. Facchetti 2. Riva 3. Jair 4. Stiles 5. Luis Pereira 6. Martin Peters 7. Bosquier 8. Yakimov 9. De Sisti 10. Anquilletti 11. Rudakov 12. Valdes
mazhar13 1. Jairzinho 2. Zoff 3. B Dietz 4. Giles 5. Buchan 6. Simões 7. Hurst 8. Hunter 9. Lodetti 10. Hansen 11. Jensen 12. Quini
harms 1. Krol 2. Florian Albert 3. Van Himst 4. Roth 5. Blankenburg 6. Lennox 7. Dzodzuashvili 8. G. Mühren 9. Bedin 10. Kaplychnyi 11. van Beveren 12. Penev
Tuppet 1. Rivera 2. Džajić 3. Shesternyov 4. Causio 5. Lubański 6. Piazza 7. Bo Larsson 8. Lovchev 9. Fazlagic 10. Julio Meléndez Calderón 11. Leao 12. Sotil
Joga Bonito 1. Law 2. Netzer 3. A.Ball 4. Wimmer 5. Gadocha 6. Greig 7. Byshovets 8. Sieloff 9. Reaney 10. Kapellmann 11. Nigbur 12. Madeley
Marty1968 1. Gerson 2. Carlos Alberto 3. Rosato 4. Schwarzenbeck 5. Cubilla 6. Grabowski 7. Everaldo 8. Panenka 9. Croy 10. Capello 11. Geels 12. Coutinho

Last edited:

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
The first 5 picks should be really really interesting here.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Count me in, always love an oldie draft. Anyway we need to ban that one player though ;) but not any more, as the pool seems pretty shallow. In fact I'm worried if the pool would be deep enough for 16 managers but if it means more underrated gems and players who've never appeared before, then that's fine by me.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Count me in, always love an oldie draft. Anyway we need to ban that one player though ;) but not any more, as the pool seems pretty shallow. In fact I'm worried if the pool would be deep enough for 16 managers but if it means more underrated gems and players who've never appeared before, then that's fine by me.
If the 'where does Cristiano rank in an alltime list' thread is anything to go by, he won't be a much bigger vote winner than the following 4 picks. And if those 5 don't go as the first five, someone should be kicked in the nuts. There's one more who I'd be happy to see break into the top 5 though.

feck it, I'm bored. I play @Aldo .

@Annahnomoss , interested in scouting for/assisting me? Or whatever it's called.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
If the 'where does Cristiano rank in an alltime list' thread is anything to go by, he won't be a much bigger vote winner than the following 4 picks. And if those 5 don't go as the first five, someone should be kicked in the nuts.

feck it, I'm bored. I play @Aldo
:(

@Annahnomoss , interested in scouting for/assisting me? Or whatever it's called.
Nah I think he will want to play in this one.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
If you guys have any extra spots left, or some of the regulars are dropping out, I wanna give this a try. Thanks! :)

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
I'm not sure what to make of that smiley?
There were a few Germans that I had my eyes on. They will probably get picked already as the pool is pretty shallow, but with you in this, the chances of getting them are considerably lower :(.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
If you guys have any extra spots left, or some of the regulars are dropping out, I wanna give this a try. Thanks! :)
Just play. If one of the regulars shows up too late, he'll have to sit out. The more new players, the better. Good to see you take part.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Managers List

1. harms
2. Skizzo (pending confirmation)
3. Joga Bonito
4. Balu
5. Invictus

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
There were a few Germans that I had my eyes on. They will probably get picked already as the pool is pretty shallow, but with you in this, the chances of getting them are considerably lower :(.
Oh, we'll see how it plays out. I'll try to find a theme that I like and it's easily possible that it won't include a single German.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Managers List

1. harms
2. Skizzo/Pat_Mustard
3. Joga Bonito
4. Balu
5. Invictus
6. Gio
7. Aldo
8. Marty1968
9. Annahnomoss (pending confirmation)

Last edited:

Marty1968

In. Will be a tough one for me so if anyone wants to be AM let me know...

Last edited:

paulscholes18

If the 'where does Cristiano rank in an alltime list' thread is anything to go by, he won't be a much bigger vote winner than the following 4 picks. And if those 5 don't go as the first five, someone should be kicked in the nuts. There's one more who I'd be happy to see break into the top 5 though.

feck it, I'm bored. I play @Aldo .

Unless you're at no6 then you would want to kiss them

Cal?

CR7 fan
This is one that I know nothing about, good luck guys...

Marty1968

Managers List

1. harms
2. Skizzo/Pat_Mustard
3. Joga Bonito
4. Balu
5. Invictus
6. Gio
7. Aldo
8. Marty1968
9. Annahnomoss (pending confirmation)
Depending on how long it takes to get the full quota I'd be more than happy for this one to start at 9am Monday morning. Out on the sauce most of tomorrow for the rugby and could do with a bit of time to discover the hidden gems other than the obvious ones that will all go in round 1....

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
What do you say guys, let's feck the randomizer and just go with the initial order? :rolleyes:

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Ok, so I have a couple of noob questions, apologies if they're daft, or have been addressed previously.

1. What is the definition of peak, as it pertains to this draft? And what kind of duration does it entail? An international tournament when the player caught fire in an otherwise vanilla career? A season? And taking from that :

Suppose player X embarrassed player Y in a tournament at his peak, but apart from that instance, player Y consistently had player X's number, be it in domestic or competitions competitions. Does the argument that player X overwhelmed player Y in a head-to-head at their peak, hence there in as inherent advantage 1v1 seem reasonable?

2. What exactly is a reinforcement? Are these players that have been eliminated in previous rounds? Or do we get to pick players apart from the pool of 16x12 = 192?

Would appreciate any sort of guidance. :)

Skizzo

@harms
@Skizzo
@Joga Bonito

Added you at your request in the previous thread. Please confirm if you are still interested. Thanks.
Yep, p
Ok, so I have a couple of noob questions, apologies if they're daft, or have been addressed previously.

1. What is the definition of peak, as it pertains to this draft? And what kind of duration does it entail? An international tournament when the player caught fire in an otherwise vanilla career? A season? And taking from that :

Suppose player X embarrassed player Y in a tournament at his peak, but apart from that instance, player Y consistently had player X's number, be it in domestic or competitions competitions. Does the argument that player X overwhelmed player Y in a head-to-head at their peak, hence there in as inherent advantage 1v1 seem reasonable?

2. What exactly is a reinforcement? Are these players that have been eliminated in previous rounds? Or do we get to pick players apart from the pool of 16x12 = 192?

Would appreciate any sort of guidance. :)
Peak is always a point of contention. Typically it's agreed to be at least a season, but usually at least 3. In a more open draft like this, at least 3 seasons is generally the norm, but if you can argue your case on less, then go for it...just be ready for the counter arguments.

As for the tournament vs player X and y, that would be for the match discussions. Both arguments would be valid. You could look at the Premier league draft for discussions with Ronaldo vs Cole. Regular match up with both having success. ...just depends how both managers sell their points with supporting cast, etc.

Reinforcements are typically from the eliminated teams pool. So you could pick from any of the losing teams.

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Peak is always a point of contention. Typically it's agreed to be at least a season, but usually at least 3. In a more open draft like this, at least 3 seasons is generally the norm, but if you can argue your case on less, then go for it...just be ready for the counter arguments.

As for the tournament vs player X and y, that would be for the match discussions. Both arguments would be valid. You could look at the Premier league draft for discussions with Ronaldo vs Cole. Regular match up with both having success. ...just depends how both managers sell their points with supporting cast, etc.

Reinforcements are typically from the eliminated teams pool. So you could pick from any of the losing teams.
Alright, got it. Cheers man!

NM

I want to play. Limited time. @Aldo can i try? I'll work with somebody to help me witht research

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
I'll take a rest for one draft. I can help with randomizer and penalties and such.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
I don't really know enough about players before the 50's but this draft seems very interesting so I am in (If you will have me). I would rather be/be with an AM too though as my knowledge isn't as widespread as it should be.