45 points for the title

Cloud7

The most important match for us will be when we play City. That result will be huge if things are still as tight as they are now.

MrBest

Are you happy if we get 90 points but don’t win league this year ?
I would be. It shows progress in my eyes, lasy few years except one we have barely got above 70 points and we struggled to land 4th. 2nd with 90 points and a trophy is a good foundation for next yeat where we need to be challenging. I don't think we will win the league this year, but we are putting together consistency which is good for me. 12 wins from 19, pretty hood if you ask me. Unbeaten in 13 too.

SAFMUTD

Clean sheets win titles. We don’t keep them, City do. Hope im wrong but they look levels above us. You wouldn’t see them holding on against Burnley & Fulham. The fact that we’re in the conversation is fantastic considering our expectations in the summer, but I do think we’ll fall short.
I agree at this point we seem to struggle a lot more than city to get results, but it's a long season at the moment we should focus on getting 3 points in each game no matter how ugly.

There still plenty of games and City and Liverpool can easily enter a rough patch, let's dream.

Giggs86

Today, on the 20th of the 1st month of 2021, after Pogba had his Ronaldo at Craven Cottage moment, we are on the right track to jump from 20 to 21.

Jibbs

The only reason I am being optimistic is City does not seem to have squad depth as much as United. Also their strikers do not seem to have that sting which they used to have couple of years ago.

kerryman

85 seems to be a the right amount to win the title this season. I really doubt you will need much more than that.

Big teams will drop points as much as they did in the first half with a lot of competitions are coming back thick and fast.

Can we get it? Depends on how fast our forwards find their form.
Liverpool would need 51 from 60 points remaining to reach 85, don't think they can do that based on current form. They have dropped 20 points in the first 18 games. City need 47 from 60 points. We would need 45 from 57 points available to reach 85. Leicester need 47. Spurs need 52 out of 60 points. I'll be surprised if more than two teams get above 80 points tbh and based on form so far City and Utd are the two most likely to reach 80.

Nicolarra90

There are people saying 90 points to be champions hahahaha, you guys need to learn some basic probabilities and statistics.

mav_9me

Without a proper goalscorer (city have same issue) or a complete lack of right side or an elite defense, I don't see how we win the title.

I'll just be happy with a top 4 finish and fixing the right side.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
Don't think we're ready to win a title, yet. Too many defensive errors, no consistent goalscoring forwards bar Rashford. We don't have it in us to keep outscoring oppenents every game.

Glad to see we're in the discussion, though.

kerryman

Without a proper goalscorer (city have same issue) or a complete lack of right side or an elite defense, I don't see how we win the title.

Well we're not doing too bad so far with the deficiencies you have pointed out....top of the league at the halfway mark...(or a point behind if City win their game in hand) If all teams replicate their first half form we'll be right there with a chance going into the final game.

cyril C

More like 50-51 points needed
Even City won't be able to achieve this.

Assuming City wins the next game, and continue to achieve 50 points for the remaining 19 games. They need to achieve 2.6 points per game, while they achieved 2.15 in the previous 19 games. No-one can up their game like that, particularly with CL games coming (and a few Cup games), unless Aguero is fit and ready next week and start playing every game for the entire season and score 30 goals thereafter. Pushing the rate to 2.3 points per game would be a great achievement, which gives them 44 points. 2.3-2.4 points per game should be our target.

croadyman

Don't think we're ready to win a title, yet. Too many defensive errors, no consistent goalscoring forwards bar Rashford. We don't have it in us to keep outscoring oppenents every game.

Glad to see we're in the discussion, though.
Yeah can't keep scraping wins and holding on because eventually it will catch up with us and lead to dropping crucial points

The United

Yeah can't keep scraping wins and holding on because eventually it will catch up with us and lead to dropping crucial points
To be fair, we might be in a tough patch ourselves and kept winning due to luck or VAR or character.

Do I think we will win the title? I don't know. But, I am glad that we are winning while not playing well. Which means at one point, we will start playing well and it can only be good because we know that our front line is better than what they are showing this season.

lysglimt

Scout
I agree with around 85 points being enough. It's stupid to think anyone can get even near 90 points this season. If City win their game in hand - they will have 41 points after 19 games. To get to 90 (and I consider them the only team capable of this) - they will need 49 points from the last 19 games. - basically 16 wins and a draw. That wont happen - there are too many good sides this season for them not to lose more than 7 points in the last 20 games.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Much though I'd like it I don't think we have much chance of winning the league this year. 2nd or 3rd would be great. City or Liverpool (spit) will win.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Surprised at all this talk around winning a title. The way we started today against Fulham really points to the horrible lapses we have during the course of a single match. Quite a few basic schoolboy errors.

AT the moment, we are team that dominates moments rather than matches. Until we can impose ourselves solidly for at least 60% of a game and learn to start with greater vibrancy/energy and purpose, the title will elude us.
Or, you know, we can keep taking 3 points off every team which ever way we fecking like and win the title? Especially in a year that's shown constantly that even the best teams will drop points?

Christ, we literally dominated the majority of the game against Fulham today. They hardly had a kick after their goal until the final 10 minutes or so. Performances aren't dictated by the scoreline but points are.

Tallis

We should fix the right side now if we can. I think we can hang in there with the CBs and MF we have currently but that right side is an astounding weakness compounded by whatever is happening to Mason.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I'm more worried about results once the Europa League starts. That could be heavy and our squad is a bit thin.
Crazy how we stumbled over all these wins recently

Santoryo

ripping the reward
This idea that any team is levels above us is ludicrous.

There were people on here who thought Chelsea(yes Chelsea) were a level above us after their spending spree.

We might not win the title, but I highly doubt it's a gigantic gap should we lose.
Pretty much.

These talks of teams levels above us does my head in especially given the fact we're currently leading the table.

Every time other teams put a run of consecutive wins they are gauged to be levels above us by your car resident. Half way through the season we've yet to see why City and Pool are "levels" above us.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Having looked at City’s fixtures, the only “big” away games they have left are Liverpool and Arsenal

By contrast, we have Arsenal, Tottenham, Chelsea, City and Wolves. I include Wolves because it will probably be just as difficult as the others, though City have already won there.

I’m all for celebrating the progress we’re making, but anyone thinking City won’t romp to the title is naive. 9 wins in a row conceding just one goal, including games away to us, Arsenal, Southampton and Chelsea.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
I'm more worried about results once the Europa League starts. That could be heavy and our squad is a bit thin.
Crazy how we stumbled over all these wins recently
Our squad is not thin, not even close.

lysglimt

Scout
Having looked at City’s fixtures, the only “big” away games they have left are Liverpool and Arsenal

By contrast, we have Arsenal, Tottenham, Chelsea, City and Wolves. I include Wolves because it will probably be just as difficult as the others, though City have already won there.

I’m all for celebrating the progress we’re making, but anyone thinking City won’t romp to the title is naive. 9 wins in a row conceding just one goal, including games away to us, Arsenal, Southampton and Chelsea.
One injury for de Bruyne and things could change quickly

Judas

Open to offers
The only reason I am being optimistic is City does not seem to have squad depth as much as United. Also their strikers do not seem to have that sting which they used to have couple of years ago.
They've got a better squad than us though, I thought that was a generally agreed opinion.

They've got no fit strikers, we've got a few misfiring ones, might be a case of who gets that issue sorted first gets the upper hand.

In truth I can't see past City winning it, but I'm enjoying the ride and being back in the conversation.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
One injury for de Bruyne and things could change quickly
This is a) true and b) pointless to say - the exact same applies to us and, as has been shown this season, Liverpool too.

dal

It’s liverpool who I think will go on a winning streak. Regardless of recent results their their squad seems to have the most resilience.

gazbradley

It’s city’s to lose and think it’ll likely stay that way but the fact we’re in the conversation is the massive positive. I think ole’s rotation has been a big factor in this, he’s not overworked the players barring a couple (Maguire, Bruno and to a certain extent rashford) hopefully this will keep players fresh and keep our injuries to a minimum for the rest of the season. Would like to see us really go at Liverpool on Sunday and see what happens, win well and would be a massive confidence boost and would really cement us as title contenders and worse case we lose it’s one less set of fixtures to worry about

Infra-red

City and Liverpool have fallen off a cliff relative to where they have been for the last three years (Liverpool are 21 points off where they were at this stage last season).

That of course gives clubs like Leicester, Spurs and us a window of opportunity (a window that might be slammed shut next year if City/Liverpool regain their form again).

We're not favourites, but we have a chance - maybe the best chance we'll have for a few years - and with the way the big sides have played thus far, 85 points might indeed be enough this time.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
45 points for us from here on would mean City and Liverpool need to go at 2.35 PPG (City) and 2.55 PPG for Liverpool. I can’t see either doing that this season, City struggled vs Brighton and needed a ridiculous decision to win today. Can’t understand the fawning over them at the moment.
Fairplay. You’ve done the maths.

tenpoless

45 points for us from here on would mean City and Liverpool need to go at 2.35 PPG (City) and 2.55 PPG for Liverpool. I can’t see either doing that this season, City struggled vs Brighton and needed a ridiculous decision to win today. Can’t understand the fawning over them at the moment.
Essien would be proud.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I've been holding onto the fact that we aren't playing particularly great and that surely we can get better but I'm not so sure now. Our attackers look really out of sorts and I don't see how we fix that at the moment.

Jonno

I think OP is about right, 85-88 points will win the league I reckon.

So far we've got 40 from 19 games, and we weren't in a race until about what, 13-14 games in? The beauty of being sucked into a title race, is that draws naturally turn into wins, losses tend to turn to draws, so you can get more out of games. Remember Liverpool in the 1st half of their title win? Lots of narrow wins, dramatic winners, its because they were top of the league, and the motivation and belief is there. That's exactly what I see in this United team. We win games, we're not losing games

Last season, or at the start of this season, we wouldn't have beat Burnley, Fulham, we wouldn't have got a point and a clean sheet at Liverpool.

So I suspect, based on the fact we're now well and truly in a title race, we CAN improve on 40 points in the 2nd half of the season. The motivation to get that extra 10% out of our spine of players is there. To think, our three top scorers from last season are not even in form yet. I'd be delighted if we could get 46-48 points in this 2nd half of the season,

85 points would be 14 wins, 3 draws and 2 defeats / or 15 wins and 4 defeats. It's acheivable.