. .*. .

Mindhunter

Yeah the league was won when squads had a mid season break, players were ruled out from completing the league making squads unfair/balanced and there were no crowds in the stands to add pressure and drama.
I think the asterisk suits the negative nature you mention
Exactly my point. Maybe I didn't express it well. If Liverpool put an asterisk, it will take credit away and not add move value to their title win like how their manager is suggesting.

Robertd0803

I should have stopped reading at Jurgen Klopp says. Nothing after that is ever worthwhile.

And seriously take (deserved) credit for running away with league, stop trying to look for more acclaim.

They pretty much had the title won before the break and Covid 19 had nothing to do with that. Not like they will have the biggest collapse of all time following the season being paused.

TheReligion

Abusive
Why is he even talking about this?

He sure gets himself involved in stupid conversations doesn't he. It's as if he can't help himself. Others like Sir Alex would just ignore it and crack on.

ShinjiNinja26

Nah Klopp everyone see’s what you did there trying to flip it around but no ones buying it. You’re getting the asterisk but not for the reason you want. :drool:

Fts 74

I hoped this day would never come but here we are.

I'll just have to pretend it hasn't happened it's not a normal season anyway.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
They won the title before lockdown honestly given their lead.

It's partially done because City were so poor with injuries and every other team is in transition.

All big clubs have new managers, need new squads. It was always between City and Liverpool, as soon as City picked up major injuries it was over.

Wake-up call to the United board though, invest big, you can't let City and Liverpool go unchecked/unchallenged like this.

RkkMan

This needs to be a SERIOUS wake up call to everyone at Utd from the players to Ole to Woodward to The Glazers. If this doesn`t light a fire up their bellies to have a serious title charge within 2 years nothing will. feck top 4 at this point we need to go hard at the Europa League with the players we have we should be winning it. An ambitious set of players and manager will target that trophy. We need to drop the bag for Sancho and Grealish afterwards. We need to start showing ambition again or it`ll be us going 30 years without a title.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Haha, I get why some on here would want that asterisk, but Liverpool dominated the league from beginning to end, makes it pretty legitimate and congratulations to them, 30 years is a long time to wait.

I hoped this day would never come but here we are.

I'll just have to pretend it hasn't happened it's not a normal season anyway.
It had to happen eventually, just as they said in 1993. What we must do is ensure they don't now have a period of domination, as we did. One is enough for them; let's step up and make them wait at least another thirty years.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I agree with Klopp that the season should have an asterix but not for his specific reasons that it was more difficult to win. Yes for pretty much every other team it was a more difficult season but they were the only team that were pretty much finished when Covid hit so it really didn't affect them at all. For other teams you've got some players out because of the virus, different schedule make the game different, water breaks, more subs, contract issues etc. Asterix is needed here.

As for them winning, they won it like 6 months ago. Chelsea-City game doesn't change that.

Rish Sawhney

Well the best thing to do is to ensure the wikipedia entry for liverpool's 2019/20 season always has an astrix on it. I vote for all us do our duty as United fans and routinely go there to ensure it it there.

AFC NimbleThumb

The competition started with teams playing 45 minute halves, no breaks, & being allowed 3 subs at any time - we now have drinks breaks & 5-a-side substitutions like OgS did last night. We also have teams now unable to use visiting changing rooms etc. pre match & whilst certain teams faced hostile away crowds other now play to nothing.

I don’t see how rules can be changed so radically yet no * is given to highlight the drastic change in circumstances between certain games & others.

AshRK

* or not they absolutely deserve it. So well done to them. Let us move on and hope the players, staff, the manager and the owners are butthurt seeing this and try to win it next season.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
The best way it could have happened, no fans, no big celebration, not real football, a global pandemic that has put the futility of sport in perspective. It's actually quite funny all things considered.

edcunited1878

I agree with Klopp that the season should have an asterix but not for his specific reasons that it was more difficult to win. Yes for pretty much every other team it was a more difficult season but they were the only team that were pretty much finished when Covid hit so it really didn't affect them at all. For other teams you've got some players out because of the virus, different schedule make the game different, water breaks, more subs, contract issues etc. Asterix is needed here.

As for them winning, they won it like 6 months ago. Chelsea-City game doesn't change that.
It's as if he was trying to be sympathetic of the world pandemic crisis and use it as leverage to prop up Liverpool's title. No, that's not the way it works and sounds desperate. But then we could also point out about the last home game at Anfield against Atletico Madrid where they set an incorrect and ignorant tone about Covid after the breakout had started, especially in Spain.

As you said, they won the league back in at least January/February and before that it was pretty clear.

Winrar

The best way it could have happened, no fans, no big celebration, not real football, a global pandemic that has put the futility of sport in perspective. It's actually quite funny all things considered.
This is how I view it. Finding comedy in misery sort of deal.

They've been waiting for this moment for three decades yet when it finally did happen it was under such an unceremonious circumstance with no big celebration inside the stadium or anywhere, with no real drama to be had either since deep down we all knew they effectively sealed it a long time ago.

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
30 Years Curse. Global pandemic to ruin celebrations/hype.

I can live with that. A title in 2014 would have been much worse.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Yeah for real. Makes it much better knowing neither Anfield nor Liverpool city centre is bouncing. That they didn't even win it on the pitch as well is another cherry on the cake. Would've been sickening watching their reaction at the final whistle.

Infra-red

Exactly. It has been inevitable since December and this is far better than we could possibly have hope for. No pubs, no mass gatherings - they don't even get to win it in their own empty stadium.

It's been gifted to them by a game 200 miles away on a random Thursday night in the midst of lockdown and will be celebrated by a load of shut-ins, sat on their own in their bedrooms, hunched over their laptops, on zoom calls. How wonderfully anticlimactic.

Mr Smith

Haha, I get why some on here would want that asterisk, but Liverpool dominated the league from beginning to end, makes it pretty legitimate and congratulations to them, 30 years is a long time to wait.
Stop talking sense and get to trolling your Liverpool supporting friends with Champions* comments :mad:

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
It's as if he was trying to be sympathetic of the world pandemic crisis and use it as leverage to prop up Liverpool's title. No, that's not the way it works and sounds desperate. But then we could also point out about the last home game at Anfield against Atletico Madrid where they set an incorrect and ignorant tone about Covid after the breakout had started, especially in Spain.

As you said, they won the league back in at least January/February and before that it was pretty clear.
I read it as a humblebrag. "City is one of the best teams ever which means we're so great by winning the league".

but if you saw City playing the other night, saw the team they played and saw the bench they had where they changed five times and there was still no Leroy Sané on the pitch, you think: ‘Wow, that is really impressive.’ That is our opponent.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
:lol: This.

90 + 5min

As I wrote earlier in other thread. It feels that it is best time to win the league (From a opposition fan view) when about 2,3 people care. With pandemic going on, there is other issue to focus on.

They deserve it. They have been the best team. But everything seems so wierd. So if there is any time they should win without me being irritated it is now.

Ventura

No way this is the most difficult season to win. Competitors have been weak and it was already won before corona was a thing. One of the easiest seasons to win it. Klopp is a BS-er.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
There’s no logic in Klopp’s words. Liverpool de facto won the title before the pandemic outbreak in UK. The fixtures to be played are just formality for them. Even if COVID made this season historical Or special for the league and football in general, it has nothing to do with their title. They didn’t win despite COVID as he is trying to make out.
That's why it was a smart move by him. The exact argument could be brought up against those who wanted that asterisk in the first place and now they're using it themselves. Kind of showed the double standards of those people.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
I haven't seen any of their league games but this achievement is very impressive in how strong they were.

I'm not proud to admit my missus made me dance the Walk On... this morning. Their cringey video was on the news but well, in the end there certainly was some dampness in my optical devices... It's a beautiful song!