5 for the price of one Lukaku - could this be our most shrewd window post Fergie?

Mr PG

No, just no. I don't think many would have snapped your hand off for that business.

A CB, CDM and RW (ready now) were the priority positions. Sancho should be a united player and the fact he isn't tints the window negatively, but even that aside we haven't strengthened the right places and have obviously panicked on the last day to appease fans without spending big. Seems to have worked on you.
We don’t need to buy a CB... Tuanzebe, Tenden Mengi is sufficient cover and Maguire will improve with fitness. Don’t need to overpay for sancho either.
Does anybody ever wonder why neither chelsea nor city would pay £106m for a winger?
We will never build a proper squad to rival thr likes of Bayern by overspending the way we have in the past.

macheda14

We don’t need to buy a CB... Tuanzebe, Tenden Mengi is sufficient cover and Maguire will improve with fitness. Don’t need to overpay for sancho either.
Does anybody ever wonder why neither chelsea nor city would pay £106m for a winger?
We will never build a proper squad to rival thr likes of Bayern by overspending the way we have in the past.
It's quite likely that Chelsea or Liverpool will try and pay that next summer.

Greck

Not even City have broken the single signing transfer records we have with Pogba, AWB or Maguire. In fact it's a sign that a club has no clue what they're doing, just like Barcelona of recent. The best built teams don't need these mega transfers, they identify smaller transfers to play key roles in their system

macheda14

Not even City have broken the single signing transfer records we have with Pogba, AWB or Maguire. In fact it's a sign that a club has no clue what they're doing, just like Barcelona of recent. The best built teams don't need these mega transfers, they identify smaller transfers to play key roles in their system
Ah yes, Liverpool didn't break the record for a defender and goalkeeper (that was swiftly broken by Chelsea for Kepa). Real haven't consistently spent huge money on players. The best teams oddly do in fact make mega signings.

Nights

Yea the same Liverpool that lost out on Werner because they didn’t have the money and haggled over a cut price Thiago.

Their only mega transfers (VVD and Allison) were paid for by the ridiculous price they extorted out of a stupid Barcelona for scouting. Unless another team comes in and gives them a fortune for Salah or Mane (which is highly unlikely), they’re unlikely to pay up big

Chelsea might, but they’re bankrolled by a Russian oligarch with blood money. Most teams are heavily affected by Covid financially and will expect to be for at least the next 12 months.

ghagua

Surprised that Lukaku can even kick a ball let alone score so many. That's OK, fancy footwork will win games for us, who needs scoring.

macheda14

Yea the same Liverpool that lost out on Werner because they didn’t have the money and haggled over a cut price Thiago.

Their only mega transfers (VVD and Allison) were paid for by the ridiculous price they extorted out of a stupid Barcelona for scouting. Unless another team comes in and gives them a fortune for Salah or Mane (which is highly unlikely), they’re unlikely to pay up big

Chelsea might, but they’re bankrolled by a Russian oligarch with blood money. Most teams are heavily affected by Covid financially and will expect to be for at least the next 12 months.
You could easily see Liverpool selling one of Salah or Mane to PSG once Real go for Mbappe.

ghagua

Ah yes, Liverpool didn't break the record for a defender and goalkeeper (that was swiftly broken by Chelsea for Kepa). Real haven't consistently spent huge money on players. The best teams oddly do in fact make mega signings.
Thing is though, their mega signings have worked, improved the team, and have trophies to show for that.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
We didn't break record for AWB. City signed Walker who was record breaking deal. They signed Walker, Mendy, Cancelo all for record breaking deals.

You can spend shit loads of money without breaking the record.

Ederson was record breaking when he was signed or second most expensive keeper

Walker Mendy was record breaking deal, then broke the record with Cancelo.

KdB was 55 million + add-ons (apparently it will cost them big money but he is worth it) which was huge money when he was signed in 2016.

Sterling for around 50 million was huge deal in 2015.

Fernandinho for 30 million, Rodri for around 65 million were also big transfers.

Aguero for 38 million was a huge deal in 2011.

Just because they didn't break record doesn't mean they identified smaller transfers. It's like saying Sancho for 120 million is smaller transfer as it won't break the record.

Marcus

Since the transfer window is now shut, let's hope for the best. I am quietly optimistic that we can battle for a top 4 placing. But realistically speaking, that is all we can hope for. I have to agree that spending all the money on Sancho is not the wisest during this pandemic.

Greck

We didn't break record for AWB. City signed Walker who was record breaking deal. They signed Walker, Mendy, Cancelo all for record breaking deals.

KdB was 55 million + add-ons (apparently it will cost them big money but he is worth it) which was huge money when he was signed in 2016.

Fernandinho for 30 million, Rodri for around 65 million were also big transfers.

Just because they didn't break record doesn't mean they identified smaller transfers. It's like saying Sancho for 120 million is smaller transfer as it won't break the record.
Not sure if you're agreeing with me because that's what my point was. You read the post I was responding to right? saying they will spend 100m on Sancho next summer. City are yet to spend that type of outlay on a single player transfer. It's not a necessity for squad building, that 100m can buy two quality players. Mega signings like AWB and Maguire who were incomplete and had gaping holes in their game is foolish business (AWB to a lesser extent as he was only 50m but still incredibly overprced for a non-attacking fullback). Klopp spent 75m on VVD as the final piece after the majority of the squad had been built with a series of shrewd deals, we started our rebuild doing the opposite and didn't even do it right. We won't get anywhere if we continue last summer's overpriced mega-spending on each transfer. There's value to be had in mid level signings. Bruno is still the best value the club has had in years.

edit and I'm personally more excited by the prospect of this year's business than any of those mega-signings on that reported list. Anyone that doesn't work out can be easily moved on from, we no longer have to be stuck to a transfer because of the size of the investment like we currently are Maguire

Last edited:

roonster09

Scout
Not sure if you're agreeing with me because that's what my point was. You read the post I was responding to right? saying they will spend 100m on Sancho next summer. City are yet to spend that type of outlay on a single player transfer. It's not a necessity for squad building, that 100m can buy two quality players. Mega signings like AWB and Maguire who were incomplete and had gaping holes in their game is foolish business (AWB to a lesser extent as he was only 50m but still incredibly overprced for a non-attacking fullback). Klopp spent 75m on VVD as the final piece after the majority of the squad had been built with a series of shrewd deals, we started our rebuild doing the opposite and didn't even do it right. We won't get anywhere if we continue last summer's overpriced mega-spending on each transfer. There's value to be had in mid level signings. Bruno is still the best value the club has had in years.

edit and I'm personally more excited by the prospect of this year's business than any of those mega-signings on that reported list. Anyone that doesn't work out can be easily moved on from, we no longer have to be stuck to a transfer because of the size of the investment like we currently are Maguire
City spent 70 million euros on Ruben Dias. If the player they want is available, they will spend. Everyone said Klopp wont spend big and then he broke record twice. Do you think City wont pay big money if for example Mbappe is available?

City wont spend on Sancho though, they dont need him.

Greck

City spent 70 million euros on Ruben Dias. If the player they want is available, they will spend. Everyone said Klopp wont spend big and then he broke record twice. Do you think City wont pay big money if for example Mbappe is available?

City wont spend on Sancho though, they dont need him.
I think Sheik Mansour would fly Mbappe in his private jet if that happened but that's more for muppetry than planned policy. But 65m for Alisson and 75m for VVD, two complete article players being brought for a team in its finishing stages and on the cusp of glory isn't exactly in the ballpark of what we did with Maguire or AWB. We seemingly buy these players knowing they are overpriced and many times it's foreseeable they won't live up to the fee. However in your personal opinion, is Sancho worth 100m? and would it have been worth foregoing the 5 signings we made. I think we did the right thing if we're still in for Sancho for a lesser fee. IMO That deal didn't have to happen this summer at the quoted price

Gasolin

Yet we haven’t actually plugged any leaking gaps. No DM, no CB and no RW
No starting RW. Both Pellistri and Diallo are RW. The DM role is one that worries me but we could play with Fred there, he handles the 6 roles "better" than Scott, who's alright defensively but is not consistently doing forward passes unless specifically reinstructed, which is a problem.
CB, we have to hope Axel makes an impact this year.

It's a gamble. I hope it pays off this time.

Gasolin

What's good about the window is that we seem to have signed technical players.

I'm sick of seeing the likes of Matic, Martial, AWB and the overrated little british golden boy not being able to stop a fecking ball or to hit a 20 yard pass.
Martial is so so technical... his close control is even much better than Rashford's. Why the hate?!? He had a fantastic season, and is improving by improving his focus and his fitness. As long as the confidence is high, it will be great to watch.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
With football not coming back in stadiums for the next two-three months at least, I don't think there's a chance that Liverpool etc will go for Sancho, instead I think the next transfer window will be more hamstrung than this one.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Not getting Sancho was disappointing but I am extremely excited with 2 wingers we signed. Need to balance it with proper experience players now. That's why Cavani signing for me makes sense. You need characters like Cavani ( everyone speaks highly about him) in a young team.

All in all good window apart from not getting a RW. We need to tweak the system for this year and try to correct that next season.

fps

They are both at Greenwood level rhat much is clear. I’m a very good judge of talent and any keen eye can see these lads technical level is even above Rashfords.
Riiiiiight....

With football not coming back in stadiums for the next two-three months at least, I don't think there's a chance that Liverpool etc will go for Sancho, instead I think the next transfer window will be more hamstrung than this one.
100% agree.

Total transfer values were down by 7% in the PL, but skewed by Chelsea and the fact they had a transfer ban.

Transfers were massively down in every other major league.

Every club is taking a big hit on match day revenues. I can’t see anyone wanting to pay big money transfers next season.

lilcurt

Maybe you are right on the Sancho front, although we also won't compete with Bayern how we operate at the moment.

I disagree on the CB position, Mengi is young and has zero experience you can't bank on him at this point. Tuanzebe is a sicknote until proven otherwise. An Maguire... Well I guess you rate him, I don't.

roonster09

Scout
I think Sheik Mansour would fly Mbappe in his private jet if that happened but that's more for muppetry than planned policy. But 65m for Alisson and 75m for VVD, two complete article players being brought for a team in its finishing stages and on the cusp of glory isn't exactly in the ballpark of what we did with Maguire or AWB. We seemingly buy these players knowing they are overpriced and many times it's foreseeable they won't live up to the fee. However in your personal opinion, is Sancho worth 100m? and would it have been worth foregoing the 5 signings we made. I think we did the right thing if we're still in for Sancho for a lesser fee. IMO That deal didn't have to happen this summer at the quoted price
Finishing stage and cusp of glory is with benefit of hindsight. No one thought Klopp would spend big money, especially when he came up with nonsense after Pogba signing. But he did it as they had money and needed the players. 100+ million are very rare in football, so clubs can still spend huge money without breaking the 100 million barrier. So i don't agree with your point that "city go with smaller transfers". They always spent big. I even gave examples of those signings, they broke record multiple times for a FB for example. Laporte for around 60 million pounds, Ruben DIas for around 70 million are one of the highest fee paid for defenders. Just because they didn't spend 80 million doesn't mean they went for smaller transfers.

Regarding Sancho, I don't know. Saying that I always like these unknown signings. Also I agree with the point that instead of paying huge money for 1 player, we can always go for multiple players, if we do proper check before signing those players.

Greck

Finishing stage and cusp of glory is with benefit of hindsight. No one thought Klopp would spend big money, especially when he came up with nonsense after Pogba signing. But he did it as they had money and needed the players. 100+ million are very rare in football, so clubs can still spend huge money without breaking the 100 million barrier. So i don't agree with your point that "city go with smaller transfers". They always spent big. I even gave examples of those signings, they broke record multiple times for a FB for example. Laporte for around 60 million pounds, Ruben DIas for around 70 million are one of the highest fee paid for defenders. Just because they didn't spend 80 million doesn't mean they went for smaller transfers.

Regarding Sancho, I don't know. Saying that I always like these unknown signings. Also I agree with the point that instead of paying huge money for 1 player, we can always go for multiple players, if we do proper check before signing those players.
That's because I never said they go with small transfers., I said smaller transfers, as in way smaller than 100m, mid level type signings the likes of Bruno Fernandes type deal, which was the context of the whole discussion, that they wouldn't be in for Sancho at that fee. If I were to calculate it the average fee they pay on transfers would likely be that mid-level range. And Liverpool being close was no hindsight, it was clear as day to anyone who watched that they were a great team that was a good defence from being contenders. It's only really on here people seem to think they came out of nowhere to be that good.

Last edited:

Classical Mechanic

Man City defensive signing since 16/17

Ruban Dias £65m
Rodri £63m
Cancelo £60m
Laporte £58m
Mendy £52m
Stones £50m
Walker £48m

Some bonkers deals in there.

roonster09

Scout
That's because I never said they go with small transfers., I said smaller transfers, as in way smaller than 100m, mid level type signings the likes of Bruno Fernandes type deal, which was the context of the whole discussion, that they wouldn't be in for Sancho at that fee. If I were to calculate it the average fee they pay on transfers would likely be mid-level. And Liverpool being close was no hindsight, it was clear as day to anyone who watched that they were a great team that was a good defence from being contenders. It's only really on here people seem to think they came out of nowhere to be that good.
So how many have we signed for 100 million or close to that? only Pogba falls in that category.

Maguire, Lukaku are all well short of 100 million.

Even if you want to add Maguire then apart from Pogba and Maguire, every other transfer falls in that "mid category".

They won't be in for Sancho, I agree as they don't need him and also there is sort of bad break up. But if big players like Mbappe is available then do you think they will say "Nah, we won't do 100+ million signing" ?

Everything depends on what they need and which player is available.

roonster09

Scout
Man City defensive signing since 16/17

Ruban Dias £65m
Rodri £63m
Cancelo £60m
Laporte £58m
Mendy £52m
Stones £50m
Walker £48m

Some bonkers deals in there.
In top 10 fee for defenders, City have 5 players.

In top 20, they have 9 players.

Greck

So how many have we signed for 100 million or close to that? only Pogba falls in that category.

Maguire, Lukaku are all well short of 100 million.

Even if you want to add Maguire then apart from Pogba and Maguire, every other transfer falls in that "mid category".

They won't be in for Sancho, I agree as they don't need him and also there is sort of bad break up. But if big players like Mbappe is available then do you think they will say "Nah, we won't do 100+ million signing" ?

Everything depends on what they need and which player is available.
Ole didn't buy Pogba or Lukaku. The whole point is what approach to take going forward and I'm saying we can build more efficiently with shrewd mid-level deals rather than blow every summer's budget on singular overpriced targets like Maguire or what Sancho, Grealish would have cost. The Bruno fernandes types arent bad, Bruno at 65m is far more value than AWB at 50m despite being more expensive so to an extent it's not just about the raw fee. of course the occasional splurge is inevitable but it shouldn't be a case where every other target is a galactico priced player

Last edited:

bsCallout

Surprised that Lukaku can even kick a ball let alone score so many. That's OK, fancy footwork will win games for us, who needs scoring.
You're not claiming we should have kept Lukaku are you?

roonster09

Scout
Ole didn't buy Pogba or Lukaku. The whole point is what approach to take going forward and I'm saying we can build more efficiently with shrewd mid-level deals rather than blow every summer's budget on singular overpriced targets like Maguire or what Sancho, Grealish would have cost. The Bruno fernandes types arent bad, Bruno at 65m is far more value than AWB at 50m despite being more expensive so to an extent it's not just about the raw fee. of course the occasional splurge is inevitable but it shouldn't be a case where every other target is a galactico priced player
Yeah, I agree with the point.

Classical Mechanic

In top 10 fee for defenders, City have 5 players.

In top 20, they have 9 players.
Cancelo is a weird one. I remember when the CAF decided that he was the greatest right back ever and some Portuguese posters on here were saying that he isn't that good. £60m is completely crazy for him. In Italy he only started 20 games for Inter in a season and 22 for Juventus. Last season he only started 13 Premier League games and not because he was injured, he was on the bench for 17 games.

dinostar77

Personally this is one of my favourite transfer windows so far. Both chelsea and City skirted Sancho due to valuation. Cavani is a proper no.9, Amad Traore and Facundo are both in the mould of Greenwood as they're not afraid to receive the ball even in tight spots and they're very good dribblers and rarely lose the ball. (United struggles against spanish teams as not many of our players are good on the ball).

I said it a million times since the start there is no way I could see the Glazers allow anything close to 100m pounds get spent on one player. they're not stupid and can see where 80m (Maguire) and 50m (AWB) went.

And the most important point United fans seem to miss is we will never build a squad capable of really challenging the ikes of Bayern by spending 100m on Sancho. Good player but he's a winger not midfielder and his impact with England team is still quite limited. We're already well stocked with wingers.
Very good point about Bayern. Their starting XI in the CL final against PSG cost them £90mil. The entire XI. Thats nuts. Just very smart, clever recruitment and some luck with home grown talent. Ok they can buy pretty much any player in Bundesliga they want but still its a good model to follow.

They have loaned with an option to buy Thiago Dantas from Benfica at the stupid buy price of £10mil. Absolute steal. Benfica have severe cash flow problems, but Bayern and Spurs (Vinicus £3mil loan fee, scored 26 goals last season) took advantage of them unlike us.

Thiago Dantas is planned to be the replacement for Thiago Alcantara. Thats Bayern for you. Clever. Them and Juventus are the smartest clubs in the transfer market. Liverpool are getting close.

If Juventus or Bayern had bought in Cavani, VDB, Telles Pellestri and Diallo for under £80mil spend. We'd be looking at those clubs in envy asking why cant utd do that. We have.

Last edited:

jackal&hyde

That comes from a dortmund typical brief to put salt on wounds of other clubs fans. Liverpool has been affected badly by the pandemic and could not close 50mil deals and barely made the Thiago one for 30 mil, there is no way they break the PL record after another season of no fans. The Spanish clubs are also in trouble and with the way things are there it's at least another season without fans, so no mega deals there either. It's Chelsea and PSG that would have the money but they are stacked with quality in those positions. Then there is City that already got their RW and don't do mega deals anyway.

Dortmund took a gamble imo that the pandemic will slow and fans will be back to improve finances, but at this point it looks like they will lose this gamble.

Mr PG

You have decided that these two will be an improvement on Rashford and Martial, who have both already played over 200 games each for the first team?

Based on what? How many times have you seen either play?
Rashford not good enough on the ball. Fast yes but his lanky frame means he lacks natural balance but he can thrive when afforded space. These two new players don't have that problem and it's enough to glean from youtube videos yes. Martial was always a decent dribbler but his output has only dropped as he's gotten older. He's just a bit too laid back even though he's improved a bit in that aspect. Hard work is not something you can coach completely. It's a characteristic you're born with.

Rashford not good enough on the ball. Fast yes but his lanky frame means he lacks natural balance but he can thrive when afforded space. These two new players don't have that problem and it's enough to glean from youtube videos yes. Martial was always a decent dribbler but his output has only dropped as he's gotten older. He's just a bit too laid back even though he's improved a bit in that aspect. Hard work is not something you can coach completely. It's a characteristic you're born with.
Just to confirm you making comparisons based on a couple of you tube videos to claim these two players are better than Martial and Rashford - at anything.

That’s utterly ridiculous, and completely without any credibility.

ghagua

You're not claiming we should have kept Lukaku are you?
Yes I am. We need goal scorers to win anything. He may not be RvP or any of the strikers we have had, but he puts the ball in the net, that's exactly what we need. When you see all the fancy footwork and stuff, then chances going begging because we have no one to finish them off, you will understand.

bsCallout

Yes I am. We need goal scorers to win anything. He may not be RvP or any of the strikers we have had, but he puts the ball in the net, that's exactly what we need. When you see all the fancy footwork and stuff, then chances going begging because we have no one to finish them off, you will understand.
The bloke couldnt control the ball. He ruined so many bits of play or good balls.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Very good point about Bayern. Their starting XI in the CL final against PSG cost them £90mil. The entire XI. Thats nuts. Just very smart, clever recruitment and some luck with home grown talent. Ok they can buy pretty much any player in Bundesliga they want but still its a good model to follow.

They have loaned with an option to buy Thiago Dantas from Benfica at the stupid buy price of £10mil. Absolute steal. Benfica have severe cash flow problems, but Bayern and Spurs (Vinicus £3mil loan fee, scored 26 goals last season) took advantage of them unlike us.

Thiago Dantas is planned to be the replacement for Thiago Alcantara. Thats Bayern for you. Clever. Them and Juventus are the smartest clubs in the transfer market. Liverpool are getting close.

If Juventus or Bayern had bought in Cavani, VDB, Telles Pellestri and Diallo for under £80mil spend. We'd be looking at those clubs in envy asking why cant utd do that. We have.
Some players they even got on a free transfer like Lewandowski and Goretzka. And Kimmich was less than 10M if I recall correctly, such a bargain price.

Mainoldo

That comes from a dortmund typical brief to put salt on wounds of other clubs fans. Liverpool has been affected badly by the pandemic and could not close 50mil deals and barely made the Thiago one for 30 mil, there is no way they break the PL record after another season of no fans. The Spanish clubs are also in trouble and with the way things are there it's at least another season without fans, so no mega deals there either. It's Chelsea and PSG that would have the money but they are stacked with quality in those positions. Then there is City that already got their RW and don't do mega deals anyway.

Dortmund took a gamble imo that the pandemic will slow and fans will be back to improve finances, but at this point it looks like they will lose this gamble.
If we get Champions league and only decide to sign one player I reckon we can get him. For a smaller fee too.

ghagua

The bloke couldnt control the ball. He ruined so many bits of play or good balls.
Need someone to stick the ball into the net which he was very good at. He must be doing something well to manage to score all those goals. You can have all the fancy footwork if it does not end up with the player failing to score.