5 killed in Norway in Bow and Arrow Shooting

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Does legend walks alone?

I was surprised when I heard they'd arrested him, he hadn't committed suicide. Unusual weapon choice for a mass killing too.

Mike Smalling

Terrible. Will be interesting to see what his motives were. Obviously, thoughts go to Breivik and similar far-right motives, but could also just be someone who is mentally ill.

It is actually pretty frightening that he managed to kill five people with bow and arrow, but compared to a gun attack it probably takes longer for people to figure out what is happening and get away.

Bratt

Terrible. Will be interesting to see what his motives were. Obviously, thoughts go to Breivik and similar far-right motives, but could also just be someone who is mentally ill.

It is actually pretty frightening that he managed to kill five people with bow and arrow, but compared to a gun attack it probably takes longer for people to figure out what is happening and get away.
They’re now saying he used other weapons as well, without saying what kind.

Mike Smalling

They’re now saying he used other weapons as well, without saying what kind.
That makes sense. I'm guessing guns are not among them, since that would probably have been part of the early reporting and witness statements - pure speculation of course.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
All five victims killed after his first encounter with the police. We have the most useless police in Europe.

nimic

something nice
Scout
All five victims killed after his first encounter with the police. We have the most useless police in Europe.
We also have the lowest murder rates in Europe, and the police have a lot of tasks that don't involve running after terrorists. There will have to be an inquiry here to figure out what went wrong, but let's have some perspective.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
We also have the lowest murder rates in Europe, and the police have a lot of tasks that don't involve running after terrorists. There will have to be an inquiry here to figure out what went wrong, but let's have some perspective.
San Marino, Andorra, Luxembourg, Monaco are in Europe. :p

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
There is a lot of malice in that choice of weapon.

Obviously there is malice with killing anyone but with a gun it's gonna be sudden with a pull of the finger. But a bow and arrow? A lot of concentration went into each kill. Proper lunatic and a proper cnut.

Carolina Red

Staff
1) That’s awful, and clearly there will be many questions after he was confronted by the police and still went on his spree.

2) The NRA has already started putting out ads using this as propaganda.

Deery

Dreary
Not to sound insensitive but he must be some fecking shot..

Bratt

Five killed out of seven shot makes it seem that way. Although they mention “other weapons”. I’m sure the (extremely grim) details will come out soon enough.
He also shot several arrows towards the police without hitting the target, and there’s pictures in the major newspapers with arrows in walls and on the ground, so luckily he didn’t hit with all of them.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Not to sound insensitive but he must be some fecking shot..
Sounds like most of them were in close quarters in a food shop? probably hard to miss.

Deery

Dreary
Sounds like most of them were in close quarters in a food shop? probably hard to miss.
Terrible, imagine your wife or mother going for the groceries and being murdered by a manic, it’s something you could never prepare for.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Terrible, imagine your wife or mother going for the groceries and being murdered by a manic, it’s something you could never prepare for.
It's strange isn't it. Reading stuff like this sounds surreal like it's a movie script - but the scary thing is it could happen to any of us.

Nobody deserves to die in this manner, I can only hope they didn't suffer too much.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Don't know what to say. What a shitshow. Wonder what the motive is for this one.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Seems he may have been radicalised.
Well yes, but I wonder if it's supposed to a revenge attack for Norways participation in Afghanistan or whatever motive the sick feck could come up with.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Here's what we know:

37 year old Man - Danish man, converted to Islam. Rumored to have declared loyalty to Al qaida in a now deleted YouTube video. Has been in contact with the police before for breach of restraining order and threats. Norwegian police are looking into the possibility of the attack being terrorist motivated.

The man has been treated/been in contact with Norwegian health departments re psychological issues previously.

5 people killed aged 50 - 70 - 4 women 1 man. 2 people injured in hospital, not in life threatening condition. Among them one off duty-poliecman.

There are several incident sites that took place in a whole city region.

Police were alerted to a man attacking people right after 6pm. They made contact with the man who managed to escape. Most (or all?) killings happened after he fled. There was a 30 minute gap between escaping and apprehension when most of the violence happened

A neighbour spoke in an interview saying that he had witnessed the man in his back yard before swinging clubs and batons around in what seemed like rage.

On a personal note, and this is speculation on my part since nothing is actually known about the mans motives: This feels a lot more like a deranged man with severe mental health illness attacking and killing people. The reported behavior of a erratic person who makes threats on the lives of his own family fits more in the gate of mental illness rather than religious ideology.

Edit: PST (Norways Police Anti-terrori division) has released a press-release saying: "The events in Kongsberg appear at present time terrorism related, but the investigation moving forwar lead by South-East Police presinct will further establish the motive, PST writes in a press release"

Edit 2: Considering the recent article I believe that my personal note is what happened, not an attack based on religious ideology, but rather a very sick human being that wasn't given the help he needed before it was too late.

Last edited:

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
On a personal note, and this is speculation on my part since nothing is actually known about the mans motives: This feels a lot more like a deranged man with severe mental health illness attacking and killing people. The reported behavior of a erratic person who makes threats on the lives of his own family fits more in the gate of mental illness rather than religious ideology.
They just said on the radio (P4) in the news that it was considered terror.
Think there's a new news thingie now 13:30 (or is it 14? Never remember if it's every 30 minutes or hour) with more in depth. Guess the newspapers have more.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
They just said on the radio (P4) in the news that it was considered terror.
Think there's a new news thingie now 13:30 (or is it 14? Never remember if it's every 30 minutes or hour) with more in depth. Guess the newspapers have more.
PST have released a press release saying that it appears terrorism related. They also state that a police investigation will unconver what the actual motive is.

So they are going by what seems reasonable. Because it certainly feels like terrorism.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
A new article with the identify and a video from the suspect in Norwegian media, so naming the person is now acceptable.

https://www.nettavisen.no/nyheter/h...andersen-brathens-advarsel/s/12-95-3424190678

Police say on Thursday that they have received several warnings that the man has been radicalized - no later than 2020.

A close friend of Bråthen, tells Nettavisen that Bråthen has struggled with mental problems for years, without having received proper help.

- We have been deeply concerned for him for many years. He's not a monster. This is really a sensitive and vulnerable person who has struggled a lot with the psyche and who has never received help. He has been totally confused and pushed everyone away, says the friend to Nettavisen.

In 2017, he even notified the police about the man. Then Bråthen had posted two videos on Youtube, where he made threats that he would do something. The video has been unpublished today.

In the two videos, Bråthen says the same threat in English and Norwegian. The online newspaper publishes the Norwegian version in this article.

- Hi. I'm a messenger. I'm coming with a warning. Is this really what you want? And for everyone who wants to make up for themselves, then the time has come. Testify that I am a Muslim, he says, among other things.

“He is as far as I know paranoid schizophrenic and can be very dangerous. He has previously been forcibly admitted to Lier, and I think the content in these videos is very frightening " wrote the friend to the police in 2017.

- He has become totally confused and no longer understands anything of the world around him, the friend believes.

He says that the man has been forcibly admitted several times, but that he has not received proper treatment.

- He has been forcibly admitted, and then kicked out again. That's how psychiatry is in Norway, the friend says resignedly. He believes that the public health service must take great responsibility for the tragedy that has now happened in Kongsberg.

- When did you realize that it was your friend who was behind it?

- I realized that right away. There are 25,000 people living in Kongsberg. None of them are as crazy as he is, says the friend.

Cardboard elk

Supports
Rosenborg
When the pandemic began, a lot of people was kicked out of their rehabilitation programmes etc. due to contagion measures and staff being redirected to pandemic "duties". Might be that happened with this man also? We have huge issues with mental health in Norway, it takes too long to get help, and often the help is not sufficient. Also a lot of people fall out of society and is rather alone. Pandemic propably worsened the situation for many mentally ill and people with other kinds of need for help. Not that that excuses anything, but it certainly did not help.The world seems like it is sick these days, in many ways.

SirAF

Ageist
Definitely sounds like less Islamic radicalization and more mental illness.
Yup, but a lot of far right people will jump on that. Imagine if this guy was not ethnic Danish.

Dyslexic Untied

As of now it looks like the Norwegian health care and justice system has failed this guy, and that Islam is taking heat as a result.