5 killed in Norway in Bow and Arrow Shooting

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Yup, but a lot of far right people will jump on that. Imagine if this guy was not ethnic Danish.
Actually similar explainations for made for a Somali who killed several people in a knife attack in germany earlier this year.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-57624115

No doubt the anti-islamist parties will put the blame on Islam in any case though.

Last edited:

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Surely anybody who picks up a weapon and starts murdering multiple random people should be assumed to have a host of mental health issues regardless of whatever flavour of extremism they may or may not subscribe to?

I don't see how it could be used as even the tiniest mitigating factor short of somebody in the throes of a full blown psychotic break who believes they're being attacked by interdimensional demons.

Gehrman

Surely anybody who picks up a weapon and starts murdering multiple random people should be assumed to have a host of mental health issues regardless of whatever flavour of extremism they may or may not subscribe to?

I don't see how it could be used as even the tiniest mitigating factor short of somebody in the throes of a full blown psychotic break who believes they're being attacked by interdimensional demons.
In this case he was obviously mentally ill but in general it's always interesting about where is the line between mentall illness and just being a evil son of a bitch.

Cardboard elk

Supports
Rosenborg
It is not a mitigating factor. It just means that this could have been avoided, with the correct help given to this individual in time.

From VG: https://www.vg.no/nyheter/innenriks/i/lV9OoM/fant-pil-og-bue-ble-vitne-til-grusomme-scener (you have to google translate) :

"Voldseth knew the perpetrator, and says he has talked to him before.

– Yes, I know who he is. We stopped on the street sometimes when we met and talked a bit. This is a person that has had many problems, and should have received help a long time ago."

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
Geeze he must be some marksman to kill 5 people with arrows. I'm not sure what the situation was exactly but were they not able to take cover ?
I'm thinking it's easy because we're accustomed to dodging bullets. :nervous:
They must have been caught totally off guard and out in the open.

diarm

Does legend walks alone?

I was surprised when I heard they'd arrested him, he hadn't committed suicide. Unusual weapon choice for a mass killing too.
He'd want to have long arms for that.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
I was surprised when I heard they'd arrested him, he hadn't committed suicide. Unusual weapon choice for a mass killing too.
He probably would have if his arms were 1metre longer.

Cardboard elk

Supports
Rosenborg
Geeze he must be some marksman to kill 5 people with arrows. I'm not sure what the situation was exactly but were they not able to take cover ?
I'm thinking it's easy because we're accustomed to dodging bullets. :nervous:
They must have been caught totally off guard and out in the open.
It is said in the newspaper here now, that some people were killed in their own buildings. So propably, while trying to escape the police, he entered apartment buildings or houses and killed some inside. Since he left arrows and a bow by the man in the article aboves apartment, propably used a knife too I guess. Doubt he carried two sets of bows.

Fearless

Mighty Mouse
In this case he was obviously mentally ill but in general it's always interesting about where is the line between mentall illness and just being a evil son of a bitch.
Andres Bevik was mentally ill (according to his psychiatric evaluation) but most still (want to) assume his attacks were politically motivated.

Fine line between terrorist apologists and mental health advocates on both sides of the political divide I guess.

NotThatSoph

No, I don't see why that should be assumed. People with mental health issues are not a particularly violent group, and mental health issues is not a prerequisite for hate.

SirAF

Ageist
Andres Bevik was mentally ill (according to his psychiatric evaluation) but most still (want to) assume his attacks were politically motivated.

Fine line between terrorist apologists and mental health advocates on both sides of the political divide I guess.
Anders Breivik was found to be legally sane in 2012.

NotThatSoph

Anders Breivik was found to be legally sane in 2012.
The first evaluation where he was found insane was pretty hilarious, in a both scary and sad way. One of the reasons they gave to find him delusional was that he was making up his own words and concept, but he didn't. They were talking about concepts very popular in far right circles, I'd been familiar with them for years personally. A quick google search would've showed this, it was amazingly incompetent.

BarstoolProphet

Claimed to be a muslim but according to the local mosque (the only one in the city) he visited them a few years back but has not been seen since. They even said he mumbled some deranged stuff back then that didn't even make sense. Add to that his history with psychiatric issues and it looks like the link to actual religious extremism is a bit of a long reach and it's more of a mental health issue than connection to extremism. Even his online video threats doesn't contain a political or religious ideology other than claims that he views himself as a muslim and swears loyalty to AQ.

Cardboard elk

Supports
Rosenborg
The police lost the perp. They used 34 minutes to contain and arrest him. I do not blame them, I just know that in all of our many small sized cities, or large sized towns, whatever you call it, there is not a large police force, we do not normally have armed cops walking around, and there is not a lot of special forces cops, helicopters and other means that can be quickly put into use. These cops propably tried their best, but how often does stuff like this happen in Norway.

So Norways small sized cities are quite easy targets for terror. Where I live, a small place, we do not have cops at all. Places below 5k people rarely have any. Slow reaction is normal here, even Brevik had plenty of time even if he started out in the capital. The standby forces are maybe not many enough, equipped and organized enough to deal with terror.

Cardboard elk

Supports
Rosenborg
Now also another one injured. up from two to three injured then. He got himself to the emergency doctor yesterday.

Gehrman

That's not the key in that particular case though. The key is being radicalized by the far right.
We were really just discussing whether he had mental health issues or not. I'd say his manifesto and his idea of being the future regent of Norway makes him pretty batshit insane, but not in the way that he was not aware of what he was doing.

Last edited:

nimic

something nice
Scout

Nah, sorry, you have no idea what you're talking about. The two cases aren't even remotely comparable.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
No, I don't see why that should be assumed. People with mental health issues are not a particularly violent group, and mental health issues is not a prerequisite for hate.
Surely the level of hatred and lack of empathy required to actually do something like that would be a very strong indicator of being diagnosable with a personality disorder?

NotThatSoph

Surely the level of hatred and lack of empathy required to actually do something like that would be a very strong indicator of being diagnosable with a personality disorder?
No, I don't think so, the last time I looked into this there was no scientic connection between mentall illness and violence. Mentally ill people are much more likely to be the victim of violence, but not perpetrators. In the everyday sense of "this guy must be crazy", sure, but not diagnostically.

Gehrman

In more general terms i'm more interested in to what extent you can medicalize people who do evil shit. In this case the guy was obviously mentally ill, but in general there are just a lot evil son's of bitches out there.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Anti-social personality disorder though and narcissistic personality disorder though.
Not a treatable mental illness. Crucially, from a legal perspective, someone with a personality disorder never loses touch with reality. Very different to this guy, who seems to have had psychotic breakdowns in the past. While acutely psychotic he is likely to completely lose touch with reality and concepts of right and wrong.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
When the pandemic began, a lot of people was kicked out of their rehabilitation programmes etc. due to contagion measures and staff being redirected to pandemic "duties". Might be that happened with this man also? We have huge issues with mental health in Norway, it takes too long to get help, and often the help is not sufficient. Also a lot of people fall out of society and is rather alone. Pandemic propably worsened the situation for many mentally ill and people with other kinds of need for help. Not that that excuses anything, but it certainly did not help.The world seems like it is sick these days, in many ways.
Its not just a Norwegian thing, the Danish broadcaster, DR did an investigation not too long ago and found that the wait times for psychological counseling is around 7 months on average and this could be much higher if you're not close to the capital with a lot of private practices.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Its not just a Norwegian thing, the Danish broadcaster, DR did an investigation not too long ago and found that the wait times for psychological counseling is around 7 months on average and this could be much higher if you're not close to the capital with a lot of private practices.
Mental health is the red headed step-child of health services all over the world. Always chronically over-looked and under-resourced.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
No doubt the anti-islamist parties will put the blame on Islam in any case though.
This has already happened... In Denmark. feck our politicians and the people who vote them in.

Fearless

Mighty Mouse
In more general terms i'm more interested in to what extent you can medicalize people who do evil shit. In this case the guy was obviously mentally ill, but in general there are just a lot evil son's of bitches out there.
Exactly. Were the SS and their accomplices all mentally ill?

nimic

something nice
Scout
Thats wasn't my point. It's the way in which the masses (such as us) want to confer a diagnosis given one's own political position.
Perhaps, but I reiterate that the cases are not at all similar. They're at the opposite ends of the terrorism spectrum.

Breivik spent months or years planning and preparing a multi-stage attack which he carried out in a chillingly professional manner, and all on the back of many years of increasing radicalization, and accompanied by a very long manifesto drawing on and building on very clear far-right ideas and concepts - a manifesto which has itself been the inspiration for several other far-right, white supremacist terrorist attacks since. His attack involved a car-bomb and several other weapons which he meticulously and more-or-less secretly gathered

This guy is someone who is clearly and genuinely mentally ill, having been forcibly committed in the past, who his friends describe as "completely mad" and claim he's been crying out for help for many years, who showed up at a mosque once claiming to having converted and speaking gibberish according to the people at the mosque, and whose ideological baggage seems to consist of two brief videos he uploaded to YouTube a couple of years ago where he spoke nonsense in English and Norwegian. His attack involved a bow and arrow and presumably a knife.

Whether your point is true or not, it simply doesn't apply here.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Talking about this case or in general?
This specific case. We've already had at least one politician blame Islam for this on Facebook and used it to propagate their racist agenda.

Lightbringer

After the sword attack in sweden I warned that some lunatic would use bow and arrows, and now it has happened. Whats next? Lances? In sweden and norway its harder to get firearms so people have to be creative before going on their killing spree!

Last edited:

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
After the sword attack in sweden I warned that some lunatic would use bow and arrows, and now it has happened. Whats next? Lances? In sweden and norway its harder to get firearms so people have to be creative before going on their killing spree!
I'm actually quite surprised he was able to take out 5 people with just a bow and arrow. Its quite hard to do that, unless you're hawk-eye or Legolas with reload and speed, accuracy of aim.

Lightbringer

I'm actually quite surprised he was able to take out 5 people with just a bow and arrow. Its quite hard to do that, unless you're hawk-eye or Legolas with reload and speed, accuracy of aim.
Well, he went into single apartments where it lived older women all on their own, if you get into an apartment there is not much they could have done to defend, they did not expect to be slaughtered either. If someone entered my home now with a bow I would be an easy prey.

Cardboard elk

Supports
Rosenborg
Police says he had two weapons besides the bow and arrows, but will not yet say what the weapons were. He attacked people after he left the bow and arrows outside a house, so must have used those two weapons then.

Dyslexic Untied

I am not sure it has been confirmed that anyone at all was killed with a bow and arrow yet? He left them at some point, and the killing seems to have happened right before the police caught him. I would guess that he has stabbed people to death.