5 subs to be allowed next season

shaky

Makes sense. New season starts pretty quickly after Europa/CL finishes, then straight into Euro 2021 after that. I'm pooped just from thinking about it.

romufc

Looks like the 5 sub rule will be continued in to next season. Guess it makes sense given how everyone is always complaining about exhaustion.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53421928

Carragher isn't happy, so I'm all for it

All the more reason to get better squad depth. This will probably be beneficial to CIty the most.

Smaller clubs would hate this, makes it harder to compete.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Could also reward proactive managers who want to change the game earlier, which could mean for more exciting games. Maybe that's stretching though.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Looks like the 5 sub rule will be continued in to next season. Guess it makes sense given how everyone is always complaining about exhaustion.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53421928

Carragher isn't happy, so I'm all for it

Carragher knows full well that this will hurt Liverpool with their lack of depth in comparison to City.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Shit rule, heavily favors rich clubs.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
The new season starts in October or after, you'll expect 2 league games in almost every week, so it has reason for it. Carragher isn't happy because Liverpool doesn't have a good depth squad.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Carragher knows full well that this will hurt Liverpool with their lack of depth in comparison to City.
I mean we're fecked when 5 of our key players get injured again, but I also can't be fecked with back to back PL wins for that lot.

Varun

Staff
Great for the rich clubs, fecks the poor ones. Can understand why it's happening but it's going to make things even more lopsided

Xaviboy

So more reason to get both Grealish and Sancho in next season. Imagine going 3 nil up at 60 mins and have options of Pogba, Bruno, Sancho, Rashford, Martial, Greenwood to rotate in front 4.

Makelele

Will it? Liverpool rely more on a system than individual players. If anything, this benefits Liverpool and other teams who have a clear philosophy of playing and do not depend on individual star performers.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
They need to address that ridiculous rule that screwed us over the other night when Williams was forced off through injury

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
5 subs totally changes the dynamic with tactics too now.

You can set a player the specific role to just play half a game with a ferocious effort, and you can do even more targeted fouling round a team, safe knowing you can replace any sending off doubts late on.

But generally, the big teams are helped.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I hope this is only a temporary change as it gives an advantage to the clubs with stronger squads.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
BS. This favours the big clubs over the small ones. Like FFP, they will try and say it is for a noble cause, but in fact it will just be because the big clubs like it.

RUCK4444

Squad depth and quality will be more important than ever. All the more reason to strengthen as much as physically possible this summer.

Edit; Is this a permanent change then? Why else would it be applicable next season.

roonster09

Scout
How does it? People keep saying this but I don't think anyone has thought it through properly
Better squad depth, so more chances to impact the game by bringing in 50% new team.

crossy1686

career ending
Better squad depth, so more chances to impact the game by bringing in 50% new team.
But it doesn't though does it?

How many years have we been watching international friendlies and seen wholesale changes completely flatten the team or the game?

Making 5 subs is risky and almost certainly disrupts the flow of the team you've put out. We saw Sarri criticise his decision to replace 5 players the other week when they dropped points, he said it completely took the intensity out of the game and unbalanced his team.

Subs have to come on and slot into the game immediately to have an impact, that's more difficult than it sounds, and if you can change half your team it doesn't mean you should.

I think people are putting two and two together here and getting five. More doesn't always mean it's a good thing. If anything we'll see managers throw on a bunch of big lads and go long in the last 10 minutes when losing, that ultimately benefits the smaller teams who have those kinds of players.

roonster09

Scout
But it doesn't though does it?

How many years have we been watching international friendlies and seen wholesale changes completely flatten the team or the game?
They don't train together for years, clubs do. That's the difference.

crossy1686

career ending
They don't train together for years, clubs do. That's the difference.
Look at us the other night. Can you honestly say making three subs at once improved the way we played? It's a bad idea to make wholesale changes, and also no one's signing for a big club to be the 5th substitute so no one should really worry about big clubs having an amazing 5 players sat on the bench waiting to come on at any given moment.

roonster09

Scout
Look at us the other night. Can you honestly say making three subs at once improved the way we played? It's a bad idea to make wholesale changes, and also no one's signing for a big club to be the 5th substitute so no one should really worry about big clubs having an amazing 5 players sat on the bench waiting to come on at any given moment.
Well our squad depth is poor. Teams with better squad depth have option to bring in 5 new players when teams like Burnley and other struggle to field the same without significant drop in their quality.

James Peril

So now they make up a needless rule to benefit the best teams even more and secure less effective playing time. Good on you FA, wondered what you could do to mess up even more. 9 second half subs yesterday in the Chelsea-game, a water break (also ridiculous), three added minutes :lol:

crossy1686

career ending
Well our squad depth is poor. Teams with better squad depth have option to bring in 5 new players when teams like Burnley and other struggle to field the same without significant drop in their quality.
It's not that bad though, McTomminay and Fred were doing great together before the COVID break, they're not world beaters but they aren't bad players either. Well teams like Burnley need to have a word with themselves regarding their academy, so do these other provincial clubs. They can't keep building squads off the back of United's reserve cast off's. Perhaps this will see teams look to invest in bringing through some of their own local talents to fill that void.

roonster09

Scout
It's not that bad though, McTomminay and Fred were doing great together before the COVID break, they're not world beaters but they aren't bad players either. Well teams like Burnley need to have a word with themselves regarding their academy, so do these other provincial clubs. They can't keep building squads off the back of United's reserve cast off's. Perhaps this will see teams look to invest in bringing through some of their own local talents to fill that void.
Yeah sure, they should be told of for not having money to fill squad with PL level players.

Anyways I have made my point, you see it in different way. Fair enough. IMO it's a crap rule.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Honestly, with us there’s barely any point having 3 subs.

Any OPTA nerds in the house? Would be interesting to see how many teams have actually made more than 3+ subs a game on average.

Acole9

Outstanding
Five subs is ok for now but it needs to go back to three as soon as possible. I would like the nine subs on the bench rule to remain though.

Bullhitter

Supports
Chelsea
They need to address that ridiculous rule that screwed us over the other night when Williams was forced off through injury
Has anyone else been "screwed over" by this "ridiculous rule"? Maybe the ridiculous thing is needlessly exposing yourself to it.

You know the rules, plan and structure your subs accordingly. I think i'm right in saying that being forced to play with 10 men was a possibility under normal 3 sub rules too if a player was forced off with injury and all sub opportunities had already been availed of........

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Massively favour the richer clubs with better squad depth. Teams like City and Chelsea in particular will benefit from this.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Has anyone else been "screwed over" by this "ridiculous rule"? Maybe the ridiculous thing is needlessly exposing yourself to it.

You know the rules, plan and structure your subs accordingly. I think i'm right in saying that being forced to play with 10 men was a possibility under normal 3 sub rules too if a player was forced off with injury and all sub opportunities had already been availed of........
The 3 subs rule didn't have a stupid restriction as to when you're allowed to make them though

If 5 subs are allowed then you should be able to use them at 5 different points throughout the game

Bullhitter

Supports
Chelsea
The 3 subs rule didn't have a stupid restriction as to when you're allowed to make them though

If 5 subs are allowed then you should be able to use them at 5 different points throughout the game
But everyone knows what the restriction is, stupid or not. You can choose (99% of time) to never leave yourself vulnerable to it, the same as you can choose to never make your third sub in regular rules but that's not optimal and that means sometimes you'll get unlucky but it is no different than crying about being forced down to 10 men in regular 3 sub rules when a player gets injured and you've made all your subs, you can't being a player on, it's outside the rules.

Superunknown

I get the point that you're making and I've not fully decided either way, myself. But, 5 subs per team done separately means potentially 10 stoppages per game just for changing personnel. That's a lot of stop-starting, which I'm keen to see the back of.

The more I think on this, the more I think it's better to just have your 3 subs, plus maybe an additional sub when it's a game that has gone into extra time.

If we're that keen on doing 5 subs, maybe we could even organise it so that 3 subs can be made at any point in the game, but the other subs have to be made at half-time. E.g. 2 at half time and 3 in the second half.

Anyway, that's just me suggesting stuff and not really thinking it through fully. The rule is there for next season so we need to make the absolute best usage of it to our advantage. We are going to need it.