5 years without a trophy - Further away than ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nori-

Why is Ole still at the club? He's been at the club since Dec 2018. Two and a half years he's had and without Bruno in the picture I really cant see how we have improved that much.

Lampard is a much bigger legend for Chelsea then Ole is for us and they sacked him. Look at them now?

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
It’s a long run but Liverpool won 1 league cup in 13 years before they won the CL. I just want to see us with a great team again. Picking up League Cups and Europa Leagues is still below where we should be. We have made some progress this year so let’s just move on.

MattyB1986

Ole obviously.
I don't think it's down to the manager. He was brave, put out his best 11. Our bench was pretty weak in comparison. We used to have strength in depth, we lack that, so he doesn't trust them. A new manager with this same squad won't win a prem or CL either.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Jose for all his faults, managed to get a group of at times disgruntled players to finish 2nd and win the EL. Ole needs to reflect on that. He is a nice man, but he needs to reflect on that painful truth.
well that's not true is it

Mourinho finished 6th and won the Europa
He finished 2nd and lost an FA Cup final

bsCallout

We don't have Klopp. Safe to say that won't be us mate.

Ole been here a couple of seasons now. 1 more without a trophy can't be accepted.

He's got 12 months imo
I agree but it was fine for Klopp and it worked out just fine. They didn't win anything the next two seasons.

stubie

At least we’re on Tik Tok now

Moving with the times now, what’s silverware by the way?

Godfather

I don't think it's down to the manager. He was brave, put out his best 11.
We had a team out there that was man for man better than the other one. How is that brave? He has come as far as he can but ultimately is out of his depth. fecking Rapid Vienna beat Villarreal a couple of years back without much fuss. And a trillion dollar squad can't. We are so poorly coached it's beyond funny at this stage. But noting will he done because it's Ole

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
We've no divine right to win trophies. And it's wrong to want to win them too, apparently.

MattyB1986

We had a team out there that was man for man better than the other one. How is that brave? He has come as far as he can but ultimately is out of his depth. fecking Rapid Vienna beat Villarreal a couple of years back without much fuss. And a trillion dollar squad can't. We are so poorly coached it's beyond funny at this stage. But noting will he done because it's Ole
Well, we all expected him to start McFred, if he would have done that, you'd have said, he was weak and bottled it.. haha

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Mourinho and van Gaal and even Moyes won a trophy. Yet, they got sacked. Ole hasn’t won anything yet, but it seems like our team has more capacity to do so. It just shows the difference in coaching abilities between our past managers and Ole. No doubt that Ole has the best team among the lots, so going trophyless is a significant sign of underperforming. I feel like if he doesn’t get a trophy next season, he should be sacked. We aren’t Arsene Arsenal or Pochettino spurs.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
The first problem is that we have nobody at the club with any plan or vision. We chase after marquee players every transfer window instead of identifying signings who fit the manager's style and system, which of course brings us to the second problem being that Ole has no real style or system.
Ole needs players that have three lungs. J.S.
Park is one of the few that spring to mind.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Giggs "it may take United another 20 years to win another major trophy" :nervous:

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Would get the trophy monkey off our back.

Where do we go from here for next season?
Realistically we won't be near the CL or PL.

So that leaves Carling Cup and FA Cup. 2 trophies with 1 being a must win.

The chance to win trophies have been there and we have bottled them. Lost our last 2 finals. Lose most Semi Finals we get too.

I don't want to be negative but where it matters we aren't progressing.

We are getting worse at winning silverware.
We've just finished 2nd 12 points off first and for some reason we won't be anywhere near the PL?!

If we'd had won you wouldn't be believing this at all, infact it could be said that winning it would be a springboard for the UCL. But oh no we lost so now we're seemingly much worse than we actually are and are gonna get relegated next year.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Why is Ole still at the club? He's been at the club since Dec 2018. Two and a half years he's had and without Bruno in the picture I really cant see how we have improved that much.

Lampard is a much bigger legend for Chelsea then Ole is for us and they sacked him. Look at them now?
If we took out bruno and cavani i don't think we'd even qualify for europa.

always_hoping

This season a repeat of the 2018, 2nd in the league and a cup final defeat. Hard to know when the next trophy will be won that defeat tonight a huge blow to the mentality of already brittle group of players.

laughtersassassin

We've just finished 2nd 12 points off first and for some reason we won't be anywhere near the PL?!

If we'd had won you wouldn't be believing this at all, infact it could be said that winning it would be a springboard for the UCL. But oh no we lost so now we're seemingly much worse than we actually are and are gonna get relegated next year.
Eh no I wouldn't. I'd still say we are a good bit off competing for the too trophies because well we are. Without major improvements I don't see us pushing City next season. Do you honestly think we will? I doubt it.

Winning this would have been great to get back to winning ways and getting the trophy monkey off our back.

We are under a lot more pressure now.

And I've never side we are shite or will get relagated so maybe stop with the hyperbole.

We are poor at winning trophies that much is clear.

If you asked me to guess where we will finish next season then I'd say 3rd or 4th.

Obviously hard to call without seeing everyones transfer windows.

My reasons for saying 3rd or 4th would be that one I doubt Liverpool will be as bad again and I believe they have the better starting 11 and coach. But I reckon we will have a better summer.

Chelsea I think they have the better coach and I think they'll have a better summer due to their greater ambition.

Our club has a lot of flaws which make it hard to push on. Can be seen by the fact we are in a prepetual rebuild.

Last edited:

killerboi2

Yeah we need to start winning some of these cup competitions now. It wasn't much of a problem a couple of years ago, definitely becoming a problem now. There are times where I feel that Ole hasn't fully figured out how we should play in them, much less win them.

MattyB1986

Fred wasnt fit.
Wasn't he? I saw he come on, I never heard the build up or anything. So if he wasn't my bad. Ultimately, I've been saying to a friend, that for us to go further we would need a better tactical manager. Ole's in game management does leave me scratching my head at times, so I do agree with your notion to some degree. But, I just feel, another manager coming in still wouldn't get this squad winning the bigger titles. It's not that great beyond that 11.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Eh no I wouldn't. I'd still say we are a good bit off competing for the too trophies because well we are. Without major improvements I don't see us pushing City next season. Do you honestly think we will? I doubt it.

Winning this would have been great to get back to winning ways and getting the trophy monkey off our back.

We are under a lot more pressure now.
I do think we're going to challenge next year....but only with 2 or 3 signings. Without those we'd struggle. We're not as bad as we think but we're not as good as we think either. I believe that we're a great team and have done really well in the league this season, but without improvements in the summer, we're not going anywhere fast. It's a very important summer, almost the most important summer of MUFC since SAF left the club.

We need to make improvements and they need to be made this year otherwise I fear that we'd start to fall back further than where we are now. Which I believe is within touching distance of the PL. But as I say, we need signings.

Dominos

Honestly I don't really care about the trophy - we shouldn't be in the Europa League in the first place and as long as we keep progressing then we'll get one eventually. Daglish at Liverpool, Alex Mcleigh at Birmingham, Laudrup at Swansea, Juande Ramos at Spurs, Van Gaal at United etc. all managers who got their hands on one of the minor trophies and it did absolutely nothing for them or their team's progression to go on to better things.

What I do care about is that we couldn't make it out the CL group stage. That we consistently gift the opposition cheap goals on set pieces. That we consistently fail to create chances against a low block. That our manager consistently refuses to make a sub in games that are crying out for a sub. That we consistently put in poor-mediocre performances even in games we scrape a win.

Roane

I'm a huge ole, the player, the person, fan. I also think he has done some good stuff at the club. I believe he was bought in to steady the ship and he did that.

However tonight he showed what I have tested for a while now. He is tactically inexperienced, not helped by inexperience around him and should be replaced or have a better team around him.

Cup games are no gimmes and form etc goes out if the window. However we should have killed that game off in normal time. Especially after Cavanis goal. Their goal was something we struggled with all season. Set pieces. Should have been addressed.

Ole has players on the bench he could have thrown on. Maybe amad on the right and move greenwood up too with cavani. An extra threat another attacker.

He has not utilized the subs well. Sticking to a pretty much same 11. Which means many players come in and perform badly because they simply aren't up to speed having had no minutes under their belts. Other players have come in and done a good job only to disappear until another injury has bought them back, again with no minutes.

Resting players isn't about having a week off. But playing only 60 minutes here and there and getting subbed. Starting as sun and just doing 20 minutes here and there.

I know we have a lot of youngsters who need to be integrated slowly. But needs must. "You don't win anything with kids" remember? And even nani and Ando were fast tracked because if need.

Ole should have taken a gamble tonight in the last 15 minutes of normal time. Throw the kitchen sink at them. But he went safe and to me looked as if WE were playing for penalties.

Hester_manc

I saw this on facebook. Can that really be true? Please tell me there is a twist to it:

In the past 4 seasons:
Manchester City net spend: €443
Manchester United net spend: €415
Manchester City trophies: 10
Manchester United trophies: 0

Red_toad

8 years without one for Ole.

If we still had any ambition, we'd ditch him this summer.
Let’s be realistic, the owners are now using him as a human shield. They’ll never sack him as long as we get top 4. If they sack him
and the next manager goes full Jose, where do they go from there?

Tom Van Persie

No relation

Have we all forgotten how much abuse Chelsea fans gave Lampard for joining City. :lol:

izec

Ole and his fans have no excuses next season, all this progress talk over the years means that if we dont win the league/CL and or some decent trophy (EL or Fa Cup), it means stagnation or even regression, seeing as we are second now and lost the EL final.

Next year minimum a trophy and second place in the league. It is as clear as that, since that is progress for most of his fans, by looking at year to year final results.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I saw this on facebook. Can that really be true? Please tell me there is a twist to it:

In the past 4 seasons:
Manchester City net spend: €443
Manchester United net spend: €415
Manchester City trophies: 10
Manchester United trophies: 0
Even if that’s true it means we should be even further away from them than we were four years ago. It’s actually crazy that they keep spending as much as they do when they are so far ahead. They now have two 11’s that could win the league. Surely they have to slow down their spend at some point.

They have won almost all the trophies in that time.

kitress

Ole and his fans have no excuses next season, all this progress talk over the years means that if we dont win the league/CL and or some decent trophy (EL or Fa Cup), it means stagnation or even regression, seeing as we are second now and lost the EL final.

Next year minimum a trophy and second place in the league. It is as clear as that, since that is progress for most of his fans, by looking at year to year final results.
Oh they'll just cite the playing style and a myriad of other subjective stats to justify their "progress" excuse. That's because deep down they know he will never win anything important, he simply doesn't have the tactical talent or the winning mentality to compete with the very best. Remember how he claimed trophies are just an ego thing and said his team was not good enough to compete just as they reached the top of the table. This man just exudes so much winning attitude. No wonder his team are a bunch of bottlers when they're expected to win anything. That kind of mentality comes from the very top. So yeah, "progress" and Mickey Mouse cups (hopefully) are what we're signing on with this manager.

Last edited:

LoneStar

As long as Ole is here, you can make it +1. So 5 years
Yeah this is the truth. We've had lots of opportunities to win some cups in his time. But he's bottled it big time in those games.

The apologists can say that the EL is beneath us. I am 100% confident that no player on the pitch would think so, and would have loved to win a final. The game management in the final was abysmal.

I feel he deserves one last season, but if we are out of CL before the quarters, or we are once again 'comfortably top 4 but nothing more' he should go.

stw2022

It doesn’t bother me, honest to God. What bothers me more is this fear that second is going to prove itself attributable to the misfortune of others and not down to our own progress. I don’t think we’re a very good side, I really don’t. I hope I’m wrong

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I think we’re a better team now than when we won the cup under Van Gaal, and the EFL cup/Europa double with Jose the following year. The difference is the league is a lot stronger now. Even so, trophies are trophies whoever they are against and Ole needs one next season without question if he wants to continue as manager, but anyone who can’t see that we’ve made strides in the past 4 years is being deliberately disingenuous, in my opinion.

stw2022

I think we’re a better team now than when we won the cup under Van Gaal, and the EFL cup/Europa double with Jose the following year. The difference is the league is a lot stronger now. Even so, trophies are trophies whoever they are against and Ole needs one next season without question if he wants to continue as manager, but anyone who can’t see that we’ve made strides in the past 4 years is being deliberately disingenuous, in my opinion.
I can’t see anything about us. We’re totally nondescript as a side. I see no footballing ethos or approach. I think that’s my major gripe with the manager is all seems quite timid and passive and hoping our XI proves superior to theirs and I can’t see much else. Rarely does our football not seem laboured and limp.

We can praise the resolve and determination in constantly coming from behind but that is what a great team need to do occasionally, it’s not the foundations of a great team.

It’s what worries me about signings too. We could get great players in but there’s no system to slot them into. We’ll just be where we are with Fernandes, no idea how we’ll play but we’ll be okay if Bruno has a good game or Sancho or Kane or whoever else. I regret that I honestly cannot see more to his management after two and a half years than that

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
I know some of you United fans might feel like Solskjaer's time is up, but for other football fans, even just hearing his name takes us back to the glory days of when you literally dominated the league and Europe, the great teams you had in the past. IF he can bring back those good feelings, if the players respect what he did back then surely that is better than any alternative. It means more. It's what United is about. Plus at least he has learned under literally the greatest manager of all time. That must certainly stand for something. He has a better track record than any other past legends such as Shearer, Henry, Bergkamp, Zola, Cantona, Ginola etc. He has been brave to take on the biggest job in world football. He tried to make his own career rather than living on past accomplishments. You have to respect him for that. He is putting his legacy on the line right now. You need to get behind him, please.

Conclusively, which other managers who are available would you sign exactly?
Brave? He is getting paid 8m a year for this job. He is lucky to have the best job in the world not brave. He would be brave if he resigned like Zidane did, who is an even bigger legend for Real than Ole was for us.

I don’t know what is giving people confidence that we’ll challenge next year. We had a good team this season to challenge, we were top of table at Christmas with a 7 point lead and we blew it. I don’t know why people are expecting anything different next year.

stw2022

We wont be winning one next year either. Not until we get a proper manager.
I think Ole can be successful but he seems to lack drive. Young manager, biggest job in the world. We should be seeing his personality on the pitch. Even if it’s shit there should be be a distinctive style about his team but there isn’t not even close. I defy anyone to even try and identify what he’s trying to do in terms of style or identity.

Paul_Scholes18

It is not easy to win trophies, but we waste the chances to do so too easily.

We have been good in the EL though before the final. So it is annoying that poor coaching from Ole cost us big time.

In the cups we had some good wins, but did not step up when we really had the chance near the end.
Benching Bruno etc and others vs Leicester was a strange move.

Status
Not open for further replies.