5 years without a trophy - Further away than ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

JebelSherif

Supports
Huddersfield Town
Until the club actually goes out there and ruthlessly deals with problem positions then we’re going to continue to drift.
Funny you think this club will act with ruthlessness when they still employ someone who ruined it, for reasons of nostalgia and who isn’t just a figurehead, but whom is still active in muddleheaded decision making, which you also make reference to. But please don’t cloud the issue with “…we elected to bring in a vanity purchase (Ronaldo)…” tell it like it is: SAF elected to bring in a vanity purchase (Ronaldo) and dropped OGS in the shit as a result.

Moriarty

Have a dive into the sports pages of the Guardian lads. Our current state of affairs is proving to be fertile ground for the hacks there and, of course, attracts the bilious rants of the below-the-line crowd. Barney Ronay writes about our 'tale of mediocrity and greed' whilst the lovable Jamie Jackson weighs in on which players must go this summer. There's even a piece on Martial and how, when Ralf arrived, he knew he had to leave. It's amusing and depressing at the same time. The whole gamut of anti-United sentiments can be found in the comments but the perennial while 'there are other clubs names United' always makes me chuckle. I mean, would you go to a national paper and bare your inferiority complex for all to see?

Tormentorres

Supports
Liverpool
Technically, the PL is still winnable. So thread title change is a bit premature.

Tap

The thread title will need an update by early next year.

Ahmer Baig

Trophies won in last 5 years:

Man City 10
Chelsea. 5
Liverpool. 5
Arsenal. 3
Man Utd. 0

Gordon Godot

How can we expect to win trophies when we haven't had a serious manager since Mourinho. It's incredible how badly the club is run. Couldn't feck it up worse if they tried.
Its not the manager thats the problem. Its all the decision making above that, from basic recruitment to who chooses the manager. WE can obsess about a 'serious' manager all we like ,but until club has proper foundations and structure nothing changes. We hire Poch, spend another half billion on wages and scatter gun player recruitment, 3 years time we wil be having exact same discussion.

wolvored

Ive experienced 8 years 69-76 without a trophy (68 Euro cup-77 FA cup) and never expected to go that long again. Might seem odd to say after 5 years, but who would have took even that bet on after the Europa league with Mourinho, that we would go 5 years?

Frank Grimes

Its not the manager thats the problem. Its all the decision making above that, from basic recruitment to who chooses the manager. WE can obsess about a 'serious' manager all we like ,but until club has proper foundations and structure nothing changes. We hire Poch, spend another half billion on wages and scatter gun player recruitment, 3 years time we wil be having exact same discussion.
I don't disagree with your main point, the last line of my post suggests this actually. All our decent managers have won trophies despite Glazer ownership. The only 2 that haven't were Moyes( who had only 1 season and I'm not counting Community Shield) and the hopeless Solskjaer. Manager is important.

JebelSherif

Supports
Huddersfield Town
I don't disagree with your main point, the last line of my post suggests this actually. All our decent managers have won trophies despite Glazer ownership. The only 2 that haven't were Moyes( who had only 1 season and I'm not counting Community Shield) and the hopeless Solskjaer. Manager is important.
Moyes should have been given four years to win something (just like Sir Alex was), he was treated unfairly.

Was signing Fellaini any worse than buying Ralph Milne (in 1988)? I don't think so...

Look at West Ham now - still in Europe and only a couple of points behind Manchester United in the league, with a fraction of this club's resources.

laughtersassassin

So are we all willing to admit that we should value all trophies at this stage?

We are long past the time of thinking the Premier League Champions League and FA cup are only worth our time.

Vital we win 1 of the Fa Cup Carling cup or whatever European competition we are in!

Frank Grimes

We are long past the time of thinking the Premier League Champions League and FA cup are only worth our time.

Vital we win 1 of the Fa Cup Carling cup or whatever European competition we are in!
Agree but have thiught this for years. It was infuriating looking at Solskjaer laughing and joking with Moyes after getting dumped out of the League Cup.
Fa Cup was just a bad night and hard to fathom how we didnt win that game. For a start the opposition didn't even score a legal goal.

ShinjiNinja26

I already do. I celebrated that Europa League win in Stockholm like it was a CL, not gonna lie.

laughtersassassin

I already do. I celebrated that Europa League win in Stockholm like it was a CL, not gonna lie.
Yeah I was the same. But look back through this thread. So many people saying stuff like only the CL and Pl matter.

Even discounting the FA cup.

You'd swear we where good with how they act.

Mental attitude to me.

ShinjiNinja26

Yeah I was the same. But look back through this thread. So many people saying stuff like only the CL and Pl matter.

Even discounting the FA cup.

You'd swear we where good with how they act.

Mental attitude to me.
Aye that whole entitled attitude should’ve been dropped long ago. When we’ve spent nearly 10 years in the wilderness then every trophy is precious, or at least it should be.

Tap

Yes and that is why i look fondly upon Jose’s first season and LVG’s second. These are real trophies and add to the club’s historical records.

Those highly aclaimed 3rd or 2nd placed finishes without a real title challenge are meaningless. I’ll always choose a mid table league finish with a Europa league win than some random top 4 finish in the league without trophies.

LoneStar

Yes and that is why i look fondly upon Jose’s first season and LVG’s second. These are real trophies and add to the club’s historical records.

Those highly aclaimed 3rd or 2nd placed finishes without a real title challenge are meaningless. I’ll always choose a mid table league finish with a Europa league win than some random top 4 finish in the league without trophies.
The top 4 trophy is the worst of them all. Unless we have a good chance of winning the CL next season, it is absolutely useless from a footballing perspective. Same goes for saying we are 2nd, when the first team finishes around 20 points higher.

greatscott9930

Supports
St. Louis City Soccer Club
I'm still mad we didn't win the EL final under Ole. I think it still wouldn't have worked out for him ultimately, but it would have been another trophy for the club and one for a United legend.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Trophies won today

Man City 0
Chelsea. 0
Liverpool. 0
Arsenal. 0
Man Utd. 1

dove

Was well worth the wait. Liverpool finishing last place just makes it much better too.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Bet you feel silly starting this thread now…

A-man

No matter how the rest of the season goes, it is still a success!

TenOuttaTenHag

Stadium Tour Yesterday. The guide said we have won pitch of the year, 4 times out of the last 6 years. So there have been a trophy in the bag recently.

Sad times.

Status
Not open for further replies.