Books 52 Books In 52 Weeks

Twigg

Not Twigginator
Supports
100 extrapolation
I'll have a go.

1. Slaughterhouse Five - Kurt Vonnegut. ⁓10/01/2019. Gained more appreciation for it after reading some analyses.
  2. The Humans - Matt Haig. ⁓20/01/2019. Decent enough, would probably have rated it higher if the underlying message didn't grate me a bit (it's almost corny, but that might just be a me thing).
  3. The Road - Cormac McCarthy. 25/01/2019. Loved it, the writing style felt like a breath of fresh air. Will probably be a long time favourite.

Last edited:

Twigg

Not Twigginator
Supports
100 extrapolation
What did you think? Not one of my favorites of his.

1. Mother Night
  2. Cat's Cradle
  3. Galapagos
  4. Slaughterhouse Five
  5. God Bless You Mr. Rosewater
I liked it. I went in expecting a sci-fi novel but it felt much more like a psychology trip, and I found a post on Stackexchange which I thought summarised it well and helped me appreciate it a little more:

I haven't read anymore Vonnegut but I've bought Galapagos and Sirens of Titan and will probably get around to those soon-ish.

Twigg

Not Twigginator
Supports
100 extrapolation
OK, Not sure I'll get to 52...but here goes:

The Dirty Streets of Heaven (Tad Williams) - 6/10
Happy Hour in Hell (Tad Williams) - 3/10
Sleeping Late on Judgement Day (Tad Williams) - 1/10
Just curious, how do you manage to get through a 1/10? I can barely get through something that is just OK at a 5/10.

Fridge chutney

Great thread. Aiming for 24 this year.

Books I read recently (past month)
1. Sugar Sugar Fat - Michael Moss. 9/10
2. Lord of the Flies - William Golding. 9/10

Currently reading Manchester's Finest.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Just curious, how do you manage to get through a 1/10? I can barely get through something that is just OK at a 5/10.
I speed read. Just browse past paragraphs, ignore the wordplay and just stick with story. If I start liking it, I go back for a more detailed read, but not in this case.

More because I just HATE leaving a series unfinished. A compulsion to say :lol:

Twigg

Not Twigginator
Supports
100 extrapolation
I speed read. Just browse past paragraphs, ignore the wordplay and just stick with story. If I start liking it, I go back for a more detailed read, but not in this case.

More because I just HATE leaving a series unfinished. A compulsion to say :lol:
That sounds logical - I’ll keep that in mind the next time I get bored shitless by whatever I’m reading. Maintaining the gist of the story but skipping the minute details.

Twigg

Not Twigginator
Supports
100 extrapolation
A legion of horribles, hundreds in number, half naked or clad in costumes attic or biblical or wardrobed out of a fevered dream with the skins of animals and silk finery and pieces of uniform still tracked with the blood of prior owners, coats of slain dragoons, frogged and braided cavalry jackets, one in a stovepipe hat and one with an umbrella and one in white stockings and a bloodstained wedding veil and some in headgear or cranefeathers or rawhide helmets that bore the horns of bull or buffalo and one in a pigeontailed coat worn backwards and otherwise naked and one in the armor of a Spanish conquistador, the breastplate and pauldrons deeply dented with old blows of mace or sabre done in another country by men whose very bones were dust and many with their braids spliced up with the hair of other beasts until they trailed upon the ground and their horses' ears and tails worked with bits of brightly colored cloth and one whose horse's whole head was painted crimson red and all the horsemen's faces gaudy and grotesque with daubings like a company of mounted clowns, death hilarious, all howling in a barbarous tongue and riding down upon them like a horde from a hell more horrible yet than the brimstone land of Christian reckoning, screeching and yammering and clothed in smoke like those vaporous beings in regions beyond right knowing where the eye wanders and the lip jerks and drools.
Reading Blood Meridian, that's one hell of a sentence.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
A stellar passage, that, and one which speaks of the rejection of white & Western civility and civilisation. A mere three words conjure not only a hellish, unforgettable scene but also that very same rejection: 'bloodstained wedding veil'.

Twigg

Not Twigginator
Supports
100 extrapolation
A stellar passage, that, and one which speaks of the rejection of white & Western civility and civilisation. A mere three words conjure not only a hellish, unforgettable scene but also that very same rejection: 'bloodstained wedding veil'.
It's an incredibly dense novel and usually that would be a criticism coming from me, but I'm actually enjoying this density. First 40 or so pages were tiring, but when you adapt to the style (I began reading it slowly and patiently), it's really something. I'm not far in, but I've not read anything like it before. I'm alternating between this and some lighter reading, but when I go back the lighter novel it feels almost soulless.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Slaughterhouse 5 was one of those books, like Catch 22, that had a huge effect on me as I read them.

That element of breaking the norms which make you ask yourself- can you really do this in a novel?

I equate it to something that I heard a famous musical artist (exactly who I have forgotten) once say in relation to their first reaction to hearing the Beatles Sergeant Pepper album

(I'm paraphrasing here) "When I first heard SP it blew my mind. I had no idea it would be possible to do things like that on a popular music record. It totally redefined what I thought was allowable in pop music and massively influenced what I went on to do myself"

Twigg

Not Twigginator
Supports
100 extrapolation
Slaughterhouse 5 was one of those books, like Catch 22, that had a huge effect on me as I read them.

That element of breaking the norms which make you ask yourself- can you really do this in a novel?

I equate it to something that I heard a famous musical artist (exactly who I have forgotten) once say in relation to their first reaction to hearing the Beatles Sergeant Pepper album

(I'm paraphrasing here) "When I first heard SP it blew my mind. I had no idea it would be possible to do things like that on a popular music record. It totally redefined what I thought was allowable in pop music and massively influenced what I went on to do myself"
Have you read any McCarthy? Fella who I'm talking about above. He seems to be one inclined to deviate from the norms, so maybe give The Road a go if you haven't, you might like it for the same reasons. Some of the sentence structure, punctuation etc., seems to go directly against what you were taught in school but it is refreshing in its own way.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Have you read any McCarthy? Fella who I'm talking about above. He seems to be one inclined to deviate from the norms, so maybe give The Road a go if you haven't, you might like it for the same reasons. Some of the sentence structure, punctuation etc., seems to go directly against what you were taught in school but it is refreshing in its own way.
Thanks. I've read the road but none of his other stuff. I've got no country in my kindle library though so maybe I'll try that.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Update:

Jan 2019:

Feb 2019:
The Crown Tower (The Riyria Chronicles, #1) - 7/10
The Rose and the Thorn (The Riyria Chronicles, #2) - 7/10
The Death of Dulgath (The Riyria Chronicles, #3) - 7/10
The Disappearance of Winter's Daughter (The Riyria Chronicles, #4) - 7/10
Kellanved's Reach
(Path to Ascendancy #3) - 9/10

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
January
Neighbors by Thomas Berger
Book of Five Rings by Miyamoto Mushashi
The Broken Seals by Shi Nai'an
The Tiger Killers by Shi Nai'an
The Gathering Company by Shi Nai'an

February
Discovery of Yosemite Valley by Lafayette Bunnell
The Story of Inyo by WA Chalfant
Handbook of the Indians of California by AL Kroeber
Indians of the Yosemite Valley by Galen Clark
Kill or be Killed by Ed Brubaker
How to Watch Football by Ruud Gullit

Last edited:

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
I'm going to add chapter count (one per week) of a certain academic book that I must finish in parallel by July 1st. Been wanting to get at it for awhile but haven't been able to.
The book, btw, is Pattern Recognition and Machine Learning, by Christopher Bishop

14 chapters will need 14 weeks. Hopefully I can finish it quicker.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
I'm going to add chapter count (one per week) of a certain academic book that I must finish in parallel by July 1st. Been wanting to get at it for awhile but haven't been able to.
The book, btw, is Pattern Recognition and Machine Learning, by Christopher Bishop

Nice, I've read that in parts. Are you already working in that area, or looking to get into it? Or just interested in it?

Revan

Assumptionman

I just didn't like it. Found ESL much better while having the same complexity. Bishop makes things difficult for the sake of making them difficult.

Murphy is also better for a more advanced reading.

Gandalf Greyhame

Scout
I just didn't like it. Found ESL much better while having the same complexity. Bishop makes things difficult for the sake of making them difficult.

Murphy is also better for a more advanced reading.
Element of Statistical Learning? This book?

Nice, I've read that in parts. Are you already working in that area, or looking to get into it? Or just interested in it?
I'm working in NLP. Need to use ML from time to time, so wanted to strengthen my theoretical foundations.
My college course used Duda, Hart, Stork which was underwhelming.

Revan

Assumptionman
Element of Statistical Learning? This book?
Yes. I think it is the best intermediate machine learning book (which can be used also as introductory). More or less same level as Bishop, just that the authors don't hate the reader.

Don't get it confused for Introduction to Statistical Learning (same authors) which is shit.

I'm working in NLP. Need to use ML from time to time, so wanted to strengthen my theoretical foundations.
My college course used Duda, Hart, Stork which was underwhelming.
Duda, Hart and Stork is just not a very good book to be read nowadays. My supervisor loves it but he is ancient. It is really underwhelming and outdated. Same thing goes for Tom Mitchell.

ESL, Bishop and Murphy seem to be the best ones (though as I said, not a big fan of Bishop). Abu-Mostafa is a good one (though different), while I've heard good words about Barber (haven't read it though). After that is either going on more advanced (theoretical) stuff like Shai Ben-David or Vershynin, going in some subclass of ML algorithms (for example Koller for PGM, Goodfellow et al. for Deep Learning though not a big fan of it, Sutton and Barto for Reinforcement Learning), or just going pure math (Michael I. Jordan's list is pretty good, at the very least read Convex Optimizations and Statistical Inference). Of course, books just compliment papers, papers are much more important.

Gandalf Greyhame

Scout
Yes. I think it is the best intermediate machine learning book (which can be used also as introductory). More or less same level as Bishop, just that the authors don't hate the reader.

Don't get it confused for Introduction to Statistical Learning (same authors) which is shit.

Duda, Hart and Stork is just not a very good book to be read nowadays. My supervisor loves it but he is ancient. It is really underwhelming and outdated. Same thing goes for Tom Mitchell.

ESL, Bishop and Murphy seem to be the best ones (though as I said, not a big fan of Bishop). Abu-Mostafa is a good one (though different), while I've heard good words about Barber (haven't read it though). After that is either going on more advanced (theoretical) stuff like Shai Ben-David or Vershynin, going in some subclass of ML algorithms (for example Koller for PGM, Goodfellow et al. for Deep Learning though not a big fan of it, Sutton and Barto for Reinforcement Learning), or just going pure math (Michael I. Jordan's list is pretty good, at the very least read Convex Optimizations and Statistical Inference). Of course, books just compliment papers, papers are much more important.
Wish someone had told me that about year ago. :lol:

Revan

Assumptionman
Anyway, 9 books for me in the first 2 months:

1) The Emperor's Blades(Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne, #1) from Brian Staveley 3/5
2) The Providence of Fire(Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne, #2) from Brian Staveley 3/5
3) The Last Mortal Bond(Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne, #3) from Brian Staveley 4/5
4) The Crown Conspiracy (The Riyria Revelations, #1) from Michael J. Sullivan 3/5
5) Avempartha (The Riyria Revelations, #2) from Michael J. Sullivan 3/5
6) Nyphron Rising (The Riyria Revelations, #3) from Michael J. Sullivan 3/5
7) The Emerald Storm (The Riyria Revelations, #4) from Michael J. Sullivan 3/5
8) Wintertide (The Riyria Revelations, #5) from Michael J. Sullivan 4/5
9) Percepliquis (The Riyria Revelations, #6) from Michael J. Sullivan 4/5

The score is my Goodreads score. In scale 1 to 10, just multiply by two and add one.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
March
Yokuts and Mono Ethnography Parts I and II by AH Gayton
Ethnography of the Yuma Indians by CD Forde
Outer Dark by Cormac McCarthy
Child of God by Cormac McCarthy
Shiloh and other Stories by Bobbie Ann Mason
Mumbo Jumbo by Ishmael Reed

Nickosaur

March
Yokuts and Mono Ethnography Parts I and II by AH Gayton
Ethnography of the Yuma Indians by CD Forde
Outer Dark by Cormac McCarthy
Child of God by Cormac McCarthy
Shiloh and other Stories by Bobbie Ann Mason
Mumbo Jumbo by Ishmael Reed
So good.
So is Child of God but I think Outer Dark is a lot more unique.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
So good.
So is Child of God but I think Outer Dark is a lot more unique.
Agreed. I think Outer Dark will be my favorite McCarthy book (I still need to read Blood Meridian and Suttree) because it works on different levels for me - especially the Trio and the whole baby storyline.

Ian Reus

Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes
I once read 'The Celestine Prophecy' in 12 hours.
I also read 1984 on 2 long train journeys across Germany during 2006 world cup.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
Just going to collect my fiction reads here to make it a challenge to a hit 52 for the year because I read a ton of non-fiction

April
Blood Meridian - Cormac McCarthy
Sanctuary - William Faulkner
The Lady in the Lake - Raymond Chandler

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Update:

Jan 2019:

Feb 2019:
The Crown Tower (The Riyria Chronicles, #1) - 7/10
The Rose and the Thorn (The Riyria Chronicles, #2) - 7/10
The Death of Dulgath (The Riyria Chronicles, #3) - 7/10
The Disappearance of Winter's Daughter (The Riyria Chronicles, #4) - 7/10
Kellanved's Reach (Path to Ascendancy #3) - 7/10

Mar 2019:
Rejoice, A Knife to the Heart - Steven Erikson - 9/10
Red Sister - Mark Lawrence - 8/10
Grey Sister - Mark Lawrence - 7/10
Tiamat's Wrath - James SA Corey - 8/10

April 2019
Holy Sister - Mark Lawrence - 6/10
The Traitor God - Cameron Johnston - 5/10
The Heir of Eyria - Osku ALanen - 5/10
As Fire is to Gold - Mark McCabe - 6/10

May 2019
Fid's Crusade (Chronicles of the Fid) - David Reiss - 9/10
Behind Distant Stars - (Chronicles of the Fid) - David Reiss - 8/10
Starfall - (Chronicles of the Fid) - david Reiss - 9/10
Kings of the Wyld - Nicholas Eames - 7/10
Soon I will be Invincible - Austin Grossman - 8/10
Big in Japan (Gailsone #1) - Casey Glanders - wip

harshad

Play the odds, not the man - Poor man's Harvey
Scout
On a long road that returns to Old Trafford!!!
1. Sword of Destiny
2. Blood of Elves
3. Time of Contempt
4. Baptism of Fire
5. Tower of Swallow
6. Lady of the Lake
7. A Knife of Dreams
8. The Whistler
9. The Rooster Bar
10. Tiamat's Wrath
11. Remember The Dawn

Last edited:

Revan

Assumptionman
1) The Emperor's Blades (Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne, #1) - Brian Staveley 3/5
2) The Providence of Fire (Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne, #2)- Brian Staveley 3/5
3) The Last Mortal Bond (Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne, #3) - Brian Staveley 4/5
4) The Crown Conspiracy (The Riyria Revelations, #1) - Michael J. Sullivan 3/5
5) Avempartha (The Riyria Revelations, #2) - Michael J. Sullivan 3/5
6) Nyphron Rising (The Riyria Revelations, #3) - Michael J. Sullivan
7) The Emerald Storm (The Riyria Revelations, #4) - Michael J. Sullivan 3/5
8) Wintertide (The Riyria Revelations, #5) - Michael J. Sullivan 4/5
9) Percepliquis (The Riyria Revelations, #6) - Michael J. Sullivan 4/5
10) Tiamat's Wrath (The Expanse, #8) - James S.A. Corey 3/5
11) Age of Myth (The Legends of the First Empire, #1) - Michael J. Sullivan 3/5
12) Age of Swords (The Legends of the First Empire, #2) - Michael J. Sullivan 3/5
13) Age of War (The Legends of the First Empire, #3) - Michael J. Sullivan 3/5

The Legends of the First Empire is set in the same world as The Riyia Revelations, with the events of it happening circa 3000 years before Revelations, and it actually shares quite a few characters (well, at least 3 so far, with more hinted to come), with many other characters mentioned in Revelations actually being part of the First Empire.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
May 2019

So Many Doors - Oakley Hall
Warlock - Oakley Hall
Ficciones - Jose Luis Borges
The Secret History - Donna Tartt
A Thousand Acres - Jane Smiley
The Soul Thief - Charles Baxter