6 'founding father' level sides from England: who would you select?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I can't help but wonder what a more storied club in Everton think about Spurs being at this 'table' ahead of them. Money > everything in the decision, sure. But in terms of history and what each clubs' legacy is, who would you pick as the six representatives of English football?

Manchester United
Liverpool
Arsenal

are all locks. Chelsea have done a lot in recent history, too, so are probably another no-brainer, but the remaining two spots, who would you give them to? Everton, Aston Villa and Nottingham Forest surely have solid claims over Spurs and City? Who else would you put in the mix, and ultimately, what would your six teams be?

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Aston Villa
Reading
Sheffield Wednesday
Nottingham Forest
Stoke City
Notts County

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Aston Villa, Newcastle, Nottingham Forest

Thinking more geographically then overall size/achievements

padr81

Supports
Man City
Its nonsense. There was a time when Preston NE were the big fish in English football. Huddersfield, Sunderland and United, Arsenal and Liverpool but mere also rans.

Ironically never relegated Arsenal only got into the top division on the basis of United and Liverpool match fixing to relegate Chelsea and Arsenal than screwed over Spurs to steal their top division place thanks to some political "lobbying". Founding fathers my bollix. (I'm so salty over this esl)

Accrington, Aston Villa, Blackburn Rovers, Bolton Wanderers, Burnley, Derby County, Everton, Notts County, Preston North End, Stoke, West Bromwich Albion and Wolverhampton Wanderers were the first ever football league make up.

From that list Preston, Everton, Sunderland and Villa would probably be the most successful so I'd say those 4. Everyone else was a johnny come lately. If you won after 1900 leave the hall for these discussions.

RoyH1

Everton has won lots of honours throughout their history. They're not a one manager glory days club like Nottingham Forest with Clough.
Aston Villa comes to mind too.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Manchester United, Liverpool & Arsenal are certainties.

Chelsea, Forrest, Leeds, Everton and Aston Villa would compete for the rest of the spots for me.