6 realistic signings to improve us?

jesperjaap

As its 5 now we have Fernandes, for me....in an ideal world:

Out:
Pogba, Lingard, Grant, Mensah, Sanchez, Smalling, Rojo, Jones, Perreira - £180-200m

In:
Centre Back: Any of Upamecano. Konate or DeLight
Central Midfielders: Two of Grealish, Bellingham, Tonali, Barella
Right Winger: Just has to be Sancho if at all possible
Centre Forward: I would just make Ighalo permanent as I really dont see anybody worth signing up front currently bar Haaland that doesnt seem feasible

For me Upamecano, Grealish, Barella, Sancho would be the signings

Leaves us with

GK: DeGea / Romero
RB : Bissaka / Dalot
CB : Upamecano / Bailly
CB: Maguire / Lindelof
LB: Shaw / Williams
CM: Fred / Matic
CM: McTominay / Barella
AM: Fernandes / Grealish
LW: Rashford / Mata
RW: Sancho / Greenwood
CF: Martial / Ighalo

I would also be looking at Tuanzabe to possibly replace Bailly or Lindelof over the season in defence.

Think central midfield looks very competitive, maybe Garner can threaten to replace Matics' place in the squad over the season

The front three looks potentially very exciting. Gomes and Chong could threaten the place of Mata over the season, Greenwood could also threaten Ighalos place and of course Daniel James can threaten positions on both flanks and there is also the likes of Henderson in goal, Laird at full back for future growth.

I think Tuanzabe and Greenwood have the best chances of developing into true talents from that list and its a very competitive squad. Only concern in the striker position but again, i just dont see a viable purchase out there currently

Resch

Some here mentioned Szoboszlai from Salzburg as an option. He startet fantastic after the corona break. He is still 19, his shooting is on an other level. Scroed three yesterday, the first one a real screamer.
Media is reporting he will join Milan in the summer, he would be a perfect steal for United. He could cover most positions in midfield and would provide set pieces on the highest level, goalscoring and he has the physics for the PL (186 cm). He would cost about 20 mil. €.

croadyman

I dream of the day we get some concrete links to a DM/CDM again but absolutely convinced Ole is not interested in signing one at all.

Personally I think there are also big holes in the starting XI at RW which hopefully Sancho can fill and a CB partner with pace to compliment Maguire too.

Last edited:

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
my wish list:

FW: Ighalo (done deal for loan)
RWF: Sancho
AM: Grealish (backup for Bruno, but not a must)
CM: Bellingham (backup for Pogba/Fred, but not a must)
DM: Partey
CB: Khoulibaly

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
GK: DDG, Romero

RB: AWB, Max Aarons, Laird
CB: Maguire, Lindelof, Godfrey, Tuanzebe, Smalling
LB: Williams, Shaw

DM: Matic, Fred
B2B: VDB, McTom
AMC: Bruno Fernandes, Mejbri

LW: Rashford, James
RW: Sancho/Chiesa/Zaniolo, Buendia

STK: Martial, Greenwood, Ighalo.

Review

Norwich are going down so most players will be itching to go back to the EPL. The financial hit of getting relegated + the covid financial crisis will hit Norwich pretty hard. A triple signing from them is achievable and we might throw some kids to them as make weight to help them get back to the EPL. It would also be beneficial to us to sign 3 players who have EPL experience and who had already played together.

The RF is where we need to spend the most. I'd go for someone whose top talented + whose versatility allows them to play in other positions. Thus if Buendia does become WC then we can shift the other player around. Sancho (RW,LW), Zaniolo (RW, No 10, MC) and Chiesa (RW, LW, STK) can do that. Finally I'd go for VDB as he can play both as a B2B and as a no 10. A midfield made up of Fred/McT, VDB and Bruno would have the right balance between hardwork and class.

Last edited:

Craig Ward

Review

Norwich are going down so most players will be itching to go back to the EPL. The financial hit of getting relegated + the covid financial crisis will hit Norwich pretty hard. A triple signing from them is achievable and we might throw some kids to them as make weight to help them get back to the EPL. It would also be beneficial to us to sign 3 players who have EPL experience and who had already played together.

The RF is where we need to spend the most. I'd go for someone whose top talented + whose versatility allows them to play in other positions. Thus if Buendia does become WC then we can shift the other player around. Sancho (RW,LW), Zaniolo (RW, No 10, MC) and Chiesa (RW, LW, STK) can do that. Finally I'd go for VDB as he can play both as a B2B and as a no 10. A midfield made up of Fred/McT, VDB and Bruno would have the right balance between hardwork and class.
I cant take a post seriously when there's a suggestion we should sign THREE players from Norwich.

Van Der Beek and Sancho are obtainable and would improve us. We dont need another RB or CB right now. Midfield and RW need to be sorted

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

Review

You want us to buy 3 players from the team that are bottom of the league? :houllier:

devilish

I cant take a post seriously when there's a suggestion we should sign THREE players from Norwich.

Van Der Beek and Sancho are obtainable and would improve us. We dont need another RB or CB right now. Midfield and RW need to be sorted
You want us to buy 3 players from the team that are bottom of the league? :houllier:
Football is a team game so you can't really blame everything on 1-2 players. Middlesbrough for example got relegated despite having Ravanelli and Juninho in the team. Both players would have walked in the present side and back then they were considered by Sir Alex as potential signings. Meanwhile Leeds FC got relegated despite having players like Viduka + English internationals such as Robinson, Milner, Smith and Batty. We bought players from lower division teams before (James, Irwin, Sharpe etc). Meanwhile we bought a certain Roy Keane from a relegated Nottingham Forest.

Godfrey, Max Aaron and Buendia had done very well in the EPL. They are young and versatile players who won't neither cost alot nor break our wage structure. These are the sort of players we need to improve our strength in depth.

Last edited:

Craig Ward

Football is a team game so you can't really blame everything on 1-2 players. Middlesbrough for example got relegated despite having Ravanelli and Juninho in the team. Both players would have walked in the present side and back then they were considered by Sir Alex as potential signings. Meanwhile Leeds FC got relegated despite having players like Viduka + English internationals such as Robinson, Milner, Smith and Batty. We bought players from lower division teams before (James, Irwin, Sharpe etc). Meanwhile we bought a certain Roy Keane from a relegated Nottingham Forest.

Godfrey, Max Aaron and Buendia had done very well in the EPL. They are young and versatile players who won't neither cost alot nor break our wage structure. These are the sort of players we need to improve our strength in depth.
I understand the logic. Good players can play for poor teams.

Grealish probably a prime example for modern day comparisons.

But seriously, none of those three would improve our first 11, let alone our squad.

I'm all for improving the quality around the squad but we cant just pluck 3 bang average players and be satisfied with that.

Aarons would be 3rd choice behind AWB and Dalot. I'd even argue we'd stick with Brandon Williams there before we looked at signing Max Aarons, not to mention we have Laird coming through.

Godfrey is no better than Maguire, Lindelof, Tuanzebe or Bailly. So is he coming to be 5th choice? how does that improve the squad?

Buendia is probably the only one who you could make a case for, but it would be a weak case. I think to drop from a Sancho to a Buendia just isn;t going to happen. We can do better

devilish

I understand the logic. Good players can play for poor teams.

Grealish probably a prime example for modern day comparisons.

But seriously, none of those three would improve our first 11, let alone our squad.

I'm all for improving the quality around the squad but we cant just pluck 3 bang average players and be satisfied with that.

Aarons would be 3rd choice behind AWB and Dalot. I'd even argue we'd stick with Brandon Williams there before we looked at signing Max Aarons, not to mention we have Laird coming through.

Godfrey is no better than Maguire, Lindelof, Tuanzebe or Bailly. So is he coming to be 5th choice? how does that improve the squad?

Buendia is probably the only one who you could make a case for, but it would be a weak case. I think to drop from a Sancho to a Buendia just isn;t going to happen. We can do better
I never suggested that they will be first teamers did I? Also let's stop overrating our players. Bailly and Dalot are crocks. We should have learnt to cut ties with injury prone players long ago. Meanwhile Tuanzebe has yet to do anything that merely suggest that he's EPL level let alone be EPL proven.

Now lets focus on each player

Godfrey. He can play as DM and CB, he's pacey which would complement both Maguire and Lindelof brilliantly. He's not particularly tall hence why I'd keep both Smalling and Maguire. He'll start as 4th choice CB but Smalling won't be here forever and Godfrey would be switching as CB and DM for enough time to keep him happy till then. Also Lindelof would be a fool not to feel threatened by the likes Godfrey and Smalling. He ain't good enough to do so.

Aarons: He's the other side of the coin of AWB. He's comfortable with the ball and in going forward but he need to learn when to attack as he tends to leave gaps at the back. That doesn't really concern me a bit tbh as most young attacking full backs start like that. Physically wise and pace wise he's built for the EPL. He won't keep breaking in pieces like Dalot does. Now we've got a promising RB who should do well in the future. That's not a problem as Aarons can shift on the left replacing Shaw if he keeps getting fat/injured

Buendia is a talented and intelligent player whose got his fair share of assists this season. I don't think he's anywhere near to Sancho at least not yet but he doesn't need to. He's expected to slot as cover/competitor while we get busy getting rid of Lingard and the Spanish dude who used to be a player. Both are nowhere near to this guy.

All of them are young, they are hungry for success, they are versatile and I doubt we would break the bank for them financially/salary wise. If things play badly for them they would become squad players. If they do well, we've got regular first team players that would take the role for the next decade or so. These are the sort of players Sir Alex would be all over the place for them.

Last edited: