6 realistic signings to improve us?

Mcking

I’d love to see us be proactive and sign Phillips and Olmo in january.

I think they are perfect profiles for our needs and it wouldn’t surprise me if the pair of them could be aquired for less than we sold Lukaku for. Leeds record sale is still Rio Ferdinand almost two decades ago and Dinamo Zagreb’s never sold anyone for more than £20 million.

If they turn out good we could save ourselves alot of money on other, higher profile targets such as Maddison DM such as Ndidi, Rice, Luis etc who’d probably require us to pay triple that fee in the summer whilst still leaving us with alot more work to do. Especially with Pogba potentially leaving and the improvements that needs to be made in our attacking department.

At the very least we’ll have strenghtened our squad with young players who’s got their prime years ahead of them and will have some resale value.
Yes, Olmo and Phillips for me too - a striker or winger and another central midfielder if Pogba leaves.

croadyman

Yes, Olmo and Phillips for me too - a striker or winger and another central midfielder if Pogba leaves.
Has there been any concrete links with us for Olmo,can recall him being linked with Spurs in the summer but heard nothing since then.

Steamboat Willy

I hope we avoid these short term fixes, if they don’t come in and hit the ground running they soon go from a quick fix to deadwood, like Bastian and Matic. It’s asking a lot of players past their peak to come in and adapt to Premier League midseason.

We’re short of players and have plenty of deadwood still in the squad, there will be plenty of room for academy players even if we make some signings that aren’t just for short term.
This guy is speaking truth....

croadyman

Can, Olmo & Mandzukic in January. Can't see the big targets being available until the summer

ghagua

We're not going to be challenging for the title over night so I would love to get hold of these players

Ruben Dias to partner Maguire

Hakim Ziyech

Zaniolo

And if we have the money then Kai Havertz as well. Think we can get 3 players for the price it would cost to sign Sancho.

Mark Pawelek

We're not going to be challenging for the title over night so I would love to get hold of these players

Hakim Ziyech

Zaniolo

And if we have the money then Kai Havertz as well. Think we can get 3 players for the price it would cost to sign Sancho.
OK. I'll bite. No. Sancho would cost less than Dias + Ziyech + Zaniolo.

Why Zaniolo? I realize he's a better AM option than Mata/Lingard/Pereira(probably). But so are most AMs playing for top half of a league in top European countries. Surely it's not just his age?

PS: They key player United must sign this January is another striker. If Martial is injured the team play is dead. Greenwood too ... Rashford too ...

Last edited:

UpWithRivers

We need some experienced players and we need bodies especially in midfield. 25-30 ish. Experienced in different competitions, right character and available at the right price. Its actually detrimental to the young players if they don't have experienced players to help them and to take the pressure off. Matic, Mata, Young, Lingard, Jones, Pogba and De Gea are supposed to be these players but considering the first five are all sht and the players that need to be sold and Pogba wants out then its hard to say we have any core of reliable experienced players.
De Gea and Maguire are the only two first teamers that are experienced and we can count on. Thats ridiculous.
Getting those players is a different story - Emre Can/ Eriksen / Ziyech / Partey fit this profile. I would also throw in Koulibaly if there is a possibility. Then yes go for some youngsters as well - Haaland, Sancho etc
I would also sort out Pogba once and for all. Personally I would sell. But either way a decision needs to be made. New contract or gone.
Then we sell the rest of the deadwood.

croadyman

We need some experienced players and we need bodies especially in midfield. 25-30 ish. Experienced in different competitions, right character and available at the right price. Its actually detrimental to the young players if they don't have experienced players to help them and to take the pressure off. Matic, Mata, Young, Lingard, Jones, Pogba and De Gea are supposed to be these players but considering the first five are all sht and the players that need to be sold and Pogba wants out then its hard to say we have any core of reliable experienced players.
De Gea and Maguire are the only two first teamers that are experienced and we can count on. Thats ridiculous.
Getting those players is a different story - Emre Can/ Eriksen / Ziyech / Partey fit this profile. I would also throw in Koulibaly if there is a possibility. Then yes go for some youngsters as well - Haaland, Sancho etc
I would also sort out Pogba once and for all. Personally I would sell. But either way a decision needs to be made. New contract or gone.
Yeah we definitely need some experience in the midfield,I am not averse to signing Eriksen/Can provided it isn't at the cost of Maddison in the summer too.

ghagua

OK. I'll bite. No. Sancho would cost less than Dias + Ziyech + Zaniolo.

Why Zaniolo? I realize he's a better AM option than Mata/Lingard/Pereira(probably). But so are most AMs playing for top half of a league in top European countries. Surely it's not just his age?

PS: They key player United must sign this January is another striker. If Martial is injured the team play is dead. Greenwood too ... Rashford too ...
I love to watch technically good players and Zaniolo is just going to be a great midfielder I feel. Same with Ziyech and Havertz. I would like a striker too, hopefully we can get Haaland if possible or Dembele.

HowYouDoin

Lets raid Dinamo Zagreb. I say go for Olmo and Bruno Petkovic too. Why get Mandzukic when a younger, better version is available?
Also Phillips, on board with that too.

croadyman

Phillips, Ziyech and Werner would be good, I was thinking this Olmo guy was a bit like Ceballos who Arsenal have taken on loan this season but they are probably totally different players

Khalifa711

Haaland, Sancho and Zakaria would give us strength in depth. That's easily £200M.
If Pogba were to leave for RM and we dont see Pereira improving we should try get Odegaard from them in a player + cash deal.

ST - Martial, Haaland
WF - Rashford, Sancho, James, Greenwood, Lingard
AM - Pereira (/Odegaard), Gomes
CM - (Pogba), Scott, Mensah, Zakaria, Fred, Garner

Out - Sanchez, Mata, Matic

Macedonian Red

https://www.transfermarkt.com/statistik/endendevertraege

This players will be free at summer. What do you think, who we should sign?

Eriksen will get spot in starting 11 easy, no doubt here.
Alderweireld probably.

Cavani and Mertens can be a back up options for Martial.
Fraser is good squad player, better than Lingard, Mata, Pereira...

Modric is old but still can offer something in middle. We are lack of experienced players so for 1-2 years to help youngstars is good options.

Kurzawa is solid option for position where we will need to strength next summer.

Bestietom

Hakim Ziyech

Zaniolo

Think Milenkovic with Maguire would be the best pairing. He's a beast, and still only 22.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
https://www.transfermarkt.com/statistik/endendevertraege

This players will be free at summer. What do you think, who we should sign?

Eriksen will get spot in starting 11 easy, no doubt here.
Alderweireld probably.

Cavani and Mertens can be a back up options for Martial.
Fraser is good squad player, better than Lingard, Mata, Pereira...

Modric is old but still can offer something in middle. We are lack of experienced players so for 1-2 years to help youngstars is good options.

Kurzawa is solid option for position where we will need to strength next summer.
Honestly, most of them would add something we need..

Eriksen - obvious quality. Issue is whether his head will ever be back in it.
Cavani - starter or not, he'd add depth.
Alderweireld - would mean we don't have to think about CB for a few years while we sort the raft of other positions.
Willian - currently don't have a right winger.
Fraser - depth for a long time.
Meunier - depth. Offers more offensively than WanB perhaps?
Matuidi - option over Matic.
Pedro - don't have a rw.
etc.

The older heads here could provide a short term improvement or depth, while we look to spend in certain positions and build properly.

croadyman

Will go Phillips, Eriksen & Werner as offers a blend of the british,premier league experience and player looking to prove himself mantra we seem to crave

E-mal

Martial could be considered experienced , in fact more so than Maguire considering he has been playing at the top league for a while.

jamesjimmybyrondean

------------------------------DDG-----------------------------

AWB-------Lindelof--------------Maguire-------Shaw

---------------------------Marc Roca---------------------------

-------Mctominay---------------------Pogba--------------

James-----------------Martial------------------Rashford

We need creative players and Marc Roca is one. Getting him we can also put Pogba back in his free role. His team is bottom table of La Liga and he has a 36m release clause so it's very possible to get him in January.

Also need a back up striker in January or a striker that would give Martial some competition depending on how Martial is playing. So either Mandzukic or Haaland

Pogba will be sold next summer so I guess we could add the profit to our budget and sign Maddison and Sancho

danamann

From his stats: Right-footed Kosovan, aged: 23. Began his career in Holland. Plays for Werder Bremen, mainly on their left wing. Contract up: 30-Jun-2022. Has also played RW, CF, and support striker. Does well from the right-wing. He can also tackle. Dispossessed too often for my liking. Nor is his first touch perfect either. Doesn't make a lot a passes during a game and his distribution isn't good enough for United; that tells us he's not a core player for his team. I don't think he's be a great improvement (or any improvement at all) on James or Rashford from the wings but is an obvious improvement over playing Pereira on RW.

Ryan Fraser or Jarrod Bowen are more realistic signings for us. Their contracts end next summer and they have experience of English football's intensity.
That's one of the things you can only conclude if you haven't watched him play. He is definitely the core player in our team. Also not sure why you leave out his goals and assists when you already bother to dig out every other stat? He scored or assisted in every game he played this season in a team where half the starters are out injured. Same towards the end of last season. Not trying to sound defensive but you make a lot of assumptions about a player based on picking out stats completely without context. Not saying he is the next Neymar but this thread is about realistic signings, no? I think he gives another option for either wing, has plenty of room to improve and has already shown his quality at a top level.

Mark Pawelek

That's one of the things you can only conclude if you haven't watched him play. He is definitely the core player in our team. Also not sure why you leave out his goals and assists when you already bother to dig out every other stat? He scored or assisted in every game he played this season in a team where half the starters are out injured. Same towards the end of last season. Not trying to sound defensive but you make a lot of assumptions about a player based on picking out stats completely without context. Not saying he is the next Neymar but this thread is about realistic signings, no? I think he gives another option for either wing, has plenty of room to improve and has already shown his quality at a top level.
I concede. He will improve the squad, and is surely a realistic signing. Definitely a better option for our right wing than Mata, Pereiera or Lingard. But I don't think he offers enough variety for a 23 year old player. Some of the players below would cost as much, or less, and I think are better long-term prospects. Note: ages shown too, listed in order of preference - Tsyhankov most prefered:

Viktor Tsyhankov ------- 22
Dejan Kulusevski ------- 19
Dwight McNeil ---------- 19
Jarrod Bowen ----------- 22

Last edited:

UpWithRivers

Yeah we definitely need some experience in the midfield,I am not averse to signing Eriksen/Can provided it isn't at the cost of Maddison in the summer too.
Even if it's possible and that's a big if how much would Maddison cost? 80-90 would be my guess. Even if we have 200 to spend and that's another big if that leaves 110 for 2 midfielders a RW and a striker. Impossible. We need to go for the cheapo options.

Rauður Djöfull

Would like to see us go for Bruno Fernandes and Haaland (or Werner) in january, perhasp also Tonali or Szoboszlai (getting two from Salzburg probably not realistic though, how often does any club by two players from another club in one window).

Problem is that besides those three we would also need at least a RW and a LB (though LB can wait until summer if Shaw gets back with Williams as backup)

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I can’t see how going for a 24 year old with with no experience outside the championship should help us elevate to the level we want. The title challenging level. He’s not the Kante, Fabinho or Fernandinho caliber we should be looking for. He is a decent cdm, and might very vell make the transition to PL, but that is not enough. It shouldn’t be anyway. We should definitely aim higher.
To be fair Kante was 24 when he joined Leicester and only had one season of top flight French football to his name. He spent his early 20's playing in the second and third division of France, which is a much lower level than the English Championship.

Champagne Football

All 3 will only be possibly available in the summer -
John McGinn
Kalvin Phillips
Moussa Dembele

I think Erling goes to Leipzig. Sancho only goes to a top 4 club. Maddison will cost too much and seems like a tit. McGinn a better option.

theklr

I actually think Solskjær will use Pogba as an AM when everyone’s fit again, and therefore not go for any other for that role unless there is 100% that he’s getting sold.

croadyman

I love to watch technically good players and Zaniolo is just going to be a great midfielder I feel. Same with Ziyech and Havertz. I would like a striker too, hopefully we can get Haaland if possible or Dembele.
Yeah we are in dire need of more creativity in midfield but also a mobile DM with technical ability too.

M16Red

Why wouldn't he? It's just a matter of if we're willing to deal with Leicester again.
I don't know champions League football? They won the league 3 years ago? Look like a better team (at the moment)? Club seems to be managed quite well?

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
We need 6/7 players to challenge for the top positions. Will we buy more than 2 ? Probably not. Will we buy at least 1 ? We know Ed Woodward no?

But IF we are to buy a player, I would say that we absolutely need at least one central midfielder. Who's on the market then ? Not a lot to be honest.

We all know that Ole will go again for Longstaff when we actually need a better player there.

My choice would be Rakitic if the price is correct. We need experience and a player that can pass the ball.

Also I would sign Camavinga right now and loan him til the end of season to Rennes.

As for the striker, we all know that all of these Haaland rumors are false and Mino will only make him sign for the club who will pay most.

I think we will end up with 6 months of Mandzukic in order to support Martial, but what if Mandzukic scores one or two and is better than Martial ? Means that we lose Martial, guy is overestimating is level and has a bad behavior.

Hope I am wrong, but I dont want to end up with Longstaff and Mandzukic

Eric's Seagull

We need 6/7 players to challenge for the top positions. Will we buy more than 2 ? Probably not. Will we buy at least 1 ? We know Ed Woodward no?

But IF we are to buy a player, I would say that we absolutely need at least one central midfielder. Who's on the market then ? Not a lot to be honest.

We all know that Ole will go again for Longstaff when we actually need a better player there.

My choice would be Rakitic if the price is correct. We need experience and a player that can pass the ball.

Also I would sign Camavinga right now and loan him til the end of season to Rennes.

As for the striker, we all know that all of these Haaland rumors are false and Mino will only make him sign for the club who will pay most.

I think we will end up with 6 months of Mandzukic in order to support Martial, but what if Mandzukic scores one or two and is better than Martial ? Means that we lose Martial, guy is overestimating is level and has a bad behavior.

Hope I am wrong, but I dont want to end up with Longstaff and Mandzukic
Cant see us signing Haaland. If we don't buy anybody in January and only bring in loan signings, I would take Mandzukic for 6 months. If we do get Mandzukic on loan, I hope we have a striker lined up to permanently sign in the summer. I think we need at least 5 players but not confident we will them all in by the summer window.

M16Red

That sort of stuff really kept Kante staying at Chelsea, Mkhitaryan staying at Dortmund, Pogba staying at Juve etc. didn't it?
Chelsea won the season before Kante won it and won it the season after he left,
Mkhitaryan was runners up and came her because our league is deemed higher , Pogba left for his image and money - it's the same reason he wants to leave.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Chelsea won the season before Kante won it and won it the season after he left,
Mkhitaryan was runners up and came her because our league is deemed higher , Pogba left for his image and money - it's the same reason he wants to leave.
Not sure what world we live in where we can attract Pogba from Juventus but can't attract Chilwell from Leicester.