6 realistic signings to improve us?

Svartzonker

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2022/23
It’s quite clear that we are not getting six players and I don’t think we need that many either. We need to get a striker, a winger for the right side and one or two midfielders. If Matic and Pogba stays then one is enough for now.

I’m not going to talk about Dembele, Werner, Sancho or any other that has been mentioned a million times already.

- Victor Osimhen, 21 yo, striker, Lille

I have seen him a couple of times in the CL this season and he looks quite promising. Is a pretty tall player and has scored 17 goals in all competitions this season. Reminds me a bit of Tammy Abraham. Good athlete, but not the most skilled guy out there.

- Samuel Chukwueze, 20 yo, RW, Villareal

A nigerian just like Osimhen. Fast as lightning and is a superb dribbler. Still inconsistent, but has potential to be great. He would not cost a whole lot compared to Sancho and if the money is tight as suggested he could be a bargain.

- Allan, 29 yo, CM, Napoli

A seasoned brazilian veteran who has played for Napoli for a few season. Hard working, decent passing range a very solid shielding the front of the defenders. Maybe we could convince to join for a few years with a salary bump. Also worth pointing out that all additions can’t be kids, we need experience also.

In:
Osimhen 50 mil
Chukwueze 40 mil
Allan 40 mil
(Grealish 60 mil)

Out:
Lingard 20 mil
(Pogba 120 mil)

That would mean the infamous netspend would be around 50 million.

With these additions we could rotate between a 4231/433/4222 depending on we are playing.

Strikers/winger: Rashford, Osimhen, Martial, Chukwueze, Greenwood, James, (Ighalo)

Attacking mid: Bruno, Graelish, Mata, Pereira, (Gomes)

CDM: Fred, Allan, McTominay, Matic, (Garner)

Jericholyte2

Having had a think about it if got the following:

Out:
Lingard - £15m
Smalling - £15
Pereira - £10m
Matic - End of Contract

In:
Jovic - 1yr loan with option to buy - gives us a striker without spending, gives us the chance to see if he fits.
Chukwueze - as the poster above said superb dribbler and lightning quick. More realistic than Sancho especially if we don’t get CL football. (£25-30m)
Partey - great engine to help cover CM (£45-50m)
Grealish - additional quality swapping with Bruno (£50-60m)
Upamecano - add some spread to our CBs (£45-50m)

Net Spend between £125m and £150m

Starting XI:

——————————DDG——————————
AWB—Upamecano—Maguire—Williams
—————Partey—————Pogba—————
————————Fernandes————————
Chukwueze———Jovic———Rashford

Second XI / Squad

—————————Romero—————————
Dalot——Lindelof——Tuanzebe——Shaw
—————McT—————Fred—————
————————Grealish————————
James———Greenwood———Martial

Dante

Average bang
A lot of people seem to be calling for Pogba to be sold in order to finance our purchases. I'd agree with that, but I'd actually go one further.

As great as DDG has been the last few years, his reaction times seem to be declining and with them so is most of his game. Given that Henderson showing good form in the PL, I'd take the risk and sell de Gea before his stock drops much further.

If we can also sell 2 or 3 from Mata, Lingard, Rojo, Bailly, Pereira, Sanchez and Jones, we've potentially brought in more than £200m to add to our regular transfer budget.

I don't think we'll buy 6 players, but I could see us buying 3 or 4 for huge fees. I'd love Sancho, Grealish and somebody like Kalvin Phillips. Maybe a top CB too. At the moment, only Maguire and Lindelof aren't injury prone. That means we're stuck with a regular partnership that has easily exploitable weaknesses. Unless Tuanzebe can show he's finally over his injury problems, it's an area that needs investment (albeit not as a priority).

Tony247

Grealish, Traore and Nagelsmann in summer will be good enough for us comfortably challenging top 4 next year.

AneRu

A lot of people seem to be calling for Pogba to be sold in order to finance our purchases. I'd agree with that, but I'd actually go one further.

As great as DDG has been the last few years, his reaction times seem to be declining and with them so is most of his game. Given that Henderson showing good form in the PL, I'd take the risk and sell de Gea before his stock drops much further.

If we can also sell 2 or 3 from Mata, Lingard, Rojo, Bailly, Pereira, Sanchez and Jones, we've potentially brought in more than £200m to add to our regular transfer budget.

I don't think we'll buy 6 players, but I could see us buying 3 or 4 for huge fees. I'd love Sancho, Grealish and somebody like Kalvin Phillips. Maybe a top CB too. At the moment, only Maguire and Lindelof aren't injury prone. That means we're stuck with a regular partnership that has easily exploitable weaknesses. Unless Tuanzebe can show he's finally over his injury problems, it's an area that needs investment (albeit not as a priority).
I agree with selling DDG but who will match his wages or will take a pay cut to secure a move to a more competitive team? If we had any vision at all we would sell both and fund a move for a top wide forward.

I agree with the new signings you have put across but I think a central striker is also crucial. I think if we had someone that has better movement off the ball we would score more goals. We can't wait for Martial any longer.

Steamboat Willy

It is both an easy and at the same time an almost impossible task.

It is quite easy just to improve us, but way harder to make us competitive for the EPL.

Especially since the owners don’t want to spend nearly the amount of money, that is required for a title-winning overhaul.

I don’t for a moment believe, that we will be able to bring in Sancho, Werner, Icardi or anything like that.

CF:
I can hardly see us getting, Dembele for CF, but we should try getting him or go for Alexander Isak.

RW:
Zaniolo is a dreamsigning. Federico Chiesa is another great option. Traoré is the obvious choice, but as with Sancho, he’s out of our league.

CM:
Abel Ruiz and Grealish would be a ball.

CB: I don’t think it’s that important, but if we are talking more than 4 signings then Koulibaly - a short term but effecticve solution, to partner Maguire.

Then let Pogba go and ship of Lingard and Pereira to.

But hey we might end up with just two-three bang avarage british overpaid deadwoods.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I find pace to be overrated especially when you're a top club, with top players who will dominate the opponent for nearly 90 minutes. There's little pace can do against a deep defence made up of 6-7 players. Instead I'd like to see a United whose got hardworking but talented players who are good in tight spaces and who are great assist men. My signings would be

GK: DDG, Romero, Bishop
RB: AWB, Dalot
LB: Shaw, Williams
CB: Maguire, Upamecano, Jones, Tuanzebe, Lindelof

DM: Zakaria, Matic
MC: McT, Fred
AMC: Fernandes, Graelish

AMR: Zaniolo, James, Mata
AML: Rashford, Martial, Sanchez.

Stk: Eduoard, Greenwood.

1 - Upamecano - pacey CB who'll be a free agent in 2021 his pace is exactly what the doctor for Maguire. 40m should do
2- Zaniolo- He's an elegant, young and hardworking midfielder a bit of the Italian version of Grealish. He can play as Right sided forward, a RW,, a no 10 and as CM. I'd say 50m + Smalling would be tempting for Roma
3- Graelish - He's hard working, a great assist man, who can play on the left flank, in CM or as a no 10. - 60m
4- Zakaria - he's an exciting DM whose pacey and quite talented. 50m should do the trick
5- Eduoard - he's a great goalscorer who wouldn't mind some healthy competition with Greenwood.

Goners: Rojo, Bailly, Lingard, Bailly, Pogba

We won't be able to get rid of either Jones or Sanchez unfortunately.

Lentwood

Let’s assume Ole has already had three of the six with Maguire, AWB and Fernandes

I would add Grealish, Sancho and a CF (who I don’t know!)

Then we line up

GK - De Gea, Henderson, Romero

Full Back - AWB, Williams, Shaw, Dalot

CB - Lindelof, Maguire, Smalling, Tuanzebe

Midfield - Grealish, Fernandes, McTominay, Fred, Matic

Forwards - Martial, Rashford, Greenwood, Sancho, James + new CF

I would therefore be happy to let the following leave;

Jones, Lingard, Pereira, Mata, Sanchez, Rojo, Lee Grant, TFM, Pogba

That side would probably be capable of top four, assuming we got the right CF. You’d also probably be cost-neutral on the three signings if you sold all of the above

Andersons Dietician

Do you think there is stronger interest in Havertz or Saul. My gut feeling is Havertz because The Athletic mentioned we had concrete talks with him whereas the Saul interest seems to be from a few years back.
I haven’t read that article in The Athletic but I would hope there is serious interest in Kai.

Its just Saul makes more sense than spending probably 80-100 mil on Kai when we just bought Bruno. I think some of the reports about him probably needing to spend more time in Bundesliga developing are probably right, it’s just do we risk missing out by waiting another year if we are intrested.

My money is on Grealish will be a United player in the summer.

RooSSaili

If you could make 3 realistic signings to improve our squad next summer who would you go for?

de Gea

Wan-Bissaka Maguire Lindelof Chilwell

McTominay Neves Pogba

Sancho Martial Rashford​

Chilwell, Neves and Sancho are all gettable players for United, follow the new strategy we seem to be using and would be improvements on Shaw, Matic/Fred/Pereira & Lingard imo.

Yours?
Only one is Jadon Sancho as we have no out and out RW,

If Paul Pogba leaves . . no problem, Bring in Jack Grealish

Lets see Ighalo, he's something different, if it doesn't work then we need a proper CF

beingshe7don

Grealish
If not Sancho, then Adama Traore or Ziyech or O Dembele (depending if he proves his fitness to stay injury-free)
If not Partey, then Ndidi or Soumare
If not Werner, then M Dembele or Edouard

I would love to have Van De Beek as well but trying to get 3 midfielders in the summer is nearly impossible.

If we are cash strapped, Grealish, Ziyech, Partey and Edouard would be bargain acquisitions. We should be able to buy all of them for 200m. And that's assuming Pogba gets sold for 125m.

beingshe7don

If you could make 3 realistic signings to improve our squad next summer who would you go for?

de Gea

Wan-Bissaka Maguire Lindelof Chilwell

McTominay Neves Pogba

Sancho Martial Rashford​

Chilwell, Neves and Sancho are all gettable players for United, follow the new strategy we seem to be using and would be improvements on Shaw, Matic/Fred/Pereira & Lingard imo.

Yours?
Chilwell ~ 40m + Shaw?
Neves ~ 70m?
Sancho ~ 100m (minimum)?

I don't think those are smart signings (although they are good players) given how much money we've spent in the past. We need two CMs with Pogba leaving....

beingshe7don

Kai Havertz is too good for Manchester United? nah man, we've not fallen that far down
United have actually fallen pretty far down. And also Havertz has been pretty average this season and they are quoting around 80m for him. He's good no doubt but I rather spend a little more and get Grealish and Van De Beek for that money.

Cathy Ferguson

I doubt that Sancho or Maddison will join us if we miss out on CL or even EL football.

Graelish would be a more realistic signing and less expensive.

I would prefer Partey over Kai but why should they join us?

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
United have actually fallen pretty far down. And also Havertz has been pretty average this season and they are quoting around 80m for him. He's good no doubt but I rather spend a little more and get Grealish and Van De Beek for that money.
Grealish and van de Beek would both be considerably cheaper than £80m. Ajax sold de Jong and de Ligt for £50m each, both rated higher than van de Beek, and Grealish is being touted at around £45-50m. If Villa go down the price goes down.

the hea

Werner and Sancho would be my top targets.

DDG

AWB Lindelöf Maguier Williams

Fred Pogba

Sancho Fernandes Rashford

Werner​

jamesjimmybyrondean

We're one expensive summer window and a good coach away from having a team that can compete with City and Liverpool.

Buy:
Jimenez - 65m
Koulibaly - 70m
Sancho - 150m

Total - 285m

Sell:
Lingard 20m
Rojo 10m
Smalling 15m

Net spend - 240m.
3 in 3 out

--------------------------De Gea---------------------------

-AWB-----Maguire------Koulibaly----Williams

-----------------Fred------------Pogba---------------

--Sancho------------Bruno-------------Rashford--

------------------------Jimenez -------------------------

Bench: Romero, James, Greenwood, Martial, McTominay, Tuanzebe, Shaw

Last edited:

Jericholyte2

We're one expensive summer window and a good coach away from having a team that can compete with City and Liverpool.

Buy:
Jimenez - 65m
Koulibaly - 70m
Sancho - 150m

Total - 285m

Sell:
Lingard 20m
Rojo 10m
Smalling 15m

Net spend - 240m.
3 in 3 out

--------------------------De Gea---------------------------

-AWB-----Maguire------Koulibaly----Williams

-----------------Fred------------Pogba---------------

--Sancho------------Bruno-------------Rashford--

------------------------Jimenez -------------------------

Bench: Romero, James, Greenwood, Martial, McTominay, Tuanzebe, Shaw
The only issue I see with this is that in 3yrs time two of those will then need replacing also.

Would go for Upamecano over KK for his pace, potential and the fact he only has 1yr left we could prob look at half the cost of KK, making an attacking signing like Sancho possibly more realistic.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Let’s assume Ole has already had three of the six with Maguire, AWB and Fernandes

I would add Grealish, Sancho and a CF (who I don’t know!)

Then we line up

GK - De Gea, Henderson, Romero

Full Back - AWB, Williams, Shaw, Dalot

CB - Lindelof, Maguire, Smalling, Tuanzebe

Midfield - Grealish, Fernandes, McTominay, Fred, Matic

Forwards - Martial, Rashford, Greenwood, Sancho, James + new CF

I would therefore be happy to let the following leave;

Jones, Lingard, Pereira, Mata, Sanchez, Rojo, Lee Grant, TFM, Pogba

That side would probably be capable of top four, assuming we got the right CF. You’d also probably be cost-neutral on the three signings if you sold all of the above
So you’re bringing in 1 midfielder and letting 3 leave (not counting mata). Bizarre

jamesjimmybyrondean

First of all get Pochettino

New signings
Phillips - 40m
Grealish - 45m
Edouard - 35m
Koulibaly - 70m

Outgoing
Pogba - 100m
Lingard - 20m
Rojo - 10m
Smalling - 15m
Bailey - 20m

Net spend - 30m

-------------------------De Gea---------------------------

-AWB-----Maguire -----Koulibaly----Williams

-----------------Fred------------Phillips ---------------

--Bruno------------Grealish-------------Rashford-

------------------------Edouard-------------------------

Bench - Romero, Greenwood, Martial, James, McTominay, Shaw, Lindelof

Mike Phelan's Former Tash

Would like us to go for Neves, Grealish and Sancho this summer.

I expect Pogba to go, it's quite clear he doesn't want to be here. I'd like to see these go with him:

Lingard - Not good enough
Peirera - likable but had his chance, not good enough. Make space for another academy back up
Sanchez - Past it
Jones - has never developed in all his time here. Still makes same mistakes
Smalling - Probably would have kept him in the squad but looks like Roma are keen to keep.

If Ighalo does well I can see him staying for a year or two. Hopefully Greenwood will be ready as a striker by then. If Ighalo flops then I'd like Jimenez from Wolves or go back for Haaland and trigger his release.

So thats potentially 4 signings and 6 leaving. 4 of the 6 leavers are arguably half way through the door already.

beingshe7don

Odsonne Édouard (~35m)
Jack Grealish (~45m)
Donny Van De Beek (~55m)
Hakim Ziyech (~40m)
Kalvin Phillips (~35m)

No Sancho, Werner, Kai Havertz or Saul required. I think with Pogba and Lingard departing, that would be a formidable midfield with Bruno, Grealish, Van De Beek, Phillips, MCT & Fred.

Forward line of Edouard, Ziyech, Martial, Rashford, James, Greenwood

Paul_Scholes18

Sanchez has started looking good again. Maybe not a new signing, but he could be valuable still.
Sadly the salary is crazy.
Just if he can find physical form again we know what he can do.

The Irish Connection

Should we be concerned that Sancho has been playing a lot on the left wing? Another left winger? Traore might suit better.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Sancho, Brozovic and attacking full back. With manager who will play attacking 433 it would be a title challenge team.
De gea
Awb, Lindelof, Maguire, Alaba
Brozovic
Pogba, Fernandes
Sancho, Martial, Rashford
Manager: Pochettino

What a team:drool:

AneRu

First of all get Pochettino

New signings
Phillips - 40m
Grealish - 45m
Edouard - 35m
Koulibaly - 70m

Outgoing
Pogba - 100m
Lingard - 20m
Rojo - 10m
Smalling - 15m
Bailey - 20m

Net spend - 30m

-------------------------De Gea---------------------------

-AWB-----Maguire -----Koulibaly----Williams

-----------------Fred------------Phillips ---------------

--Bruno------------Grealish-------------Rashford-

------------------------Edouard-------------------------

Bench - Romero, Greenwood, Martial, James, McTominay, Shaw, Lindelof
I like the team you have put out but if you think someone is going to pay us 20m for Lingard then you are being wildly optimistic and I don't think we will get Grealish for 45m either. Either way that would be us looking at a 50m or 60m net spend for what will be a very competitive line up and its certainly doable. Depending on how Ighalo performs, I think we should call time on the Martial experiment, make Ighalo's deal permanent and use the funds to bring in a more reliable LB or a right winger to improve our wing play. All in all this is a good shout.

sideshow_bob

Supports
Healthy nutrition
Ole said he wanted 6 signings: a FB, 2 CMs, a No 10, a winger & a striker.

With Bruno signed that's the No. 10 position sorted & 5 signings remain. The FB position is most likely a LB one with Young gone. Hopefully, the winger position is RW finally.

LB
Nicolas Tagliafico
Alternative: Stanley N'Soki

CM (x2)
Wilfred Ndidi & Saul Niguez
Alternative: Mikel Merino / Lisandro Martinez & Valentin Rongier / Manuel Locatelli

RW
Jadon Sancho
Alternative: Emiliano Buendia / Hakim Ziyech

Striker
Arkadiusz Milik
Alternative: Raul Jimenez / Joaquin Correa / Timo Werner / João Pedro (Cagliari)

These are my (hopefully realistic) picks for the 5 slots. Of course we all know Ed will take forever to deliver but one can dream.

Last edited:

sideshow_bob

Supports
Healthy nutrition
Not Milik, please, as if we weren't frustratingly wasting chances as it is
Yeah not thrilled with Milik either tbh.

But if you do a search, there's not a whole bunch of top quality strikers available. Of course I'd much prefer someone like Harry Kane but that's just unrealistic

WelshManc

CB - Upamecano
LB - No idea but needed
CM - Neves
AM - Grealish
RW - Sancho
ST - Werner

I know that it's expensive and wouldn't happen in one window but still.

De Gea
AWB Maguire Upamecano Williams*
Neves Bruno
Grealish
Sancho Werner Rashford

This is also in the event of Pogba leaving, along with other deadwood.

bucky

LB: Grimaldo or Tagliafico
CB: Kabak, Upamecano or Konate (Kabak is probably the most realistic)
2x CM: one of Fabian Ruiz, Aouar, Locatelli, Pellegrini as Pogba replacement, one of Camavinga, Lisandro Martinez, Koopmeiners as Matic replacement (goes without saying they aren't the same type of player)
LW/AM: Grealish or Chouiar
RW/AM: Sancho or Buendia

If we are trying to bring in a striker, which I don't think we should, if we were to sign Grealish and Sancho for example, then I'd hope for Thuram, Boadu or Osimhen.

Seven Seas Sardines

CB - Upamecano
LB - No idea but needed
CM - Neves
AM - Grealish
RW - Sancho
ST - Werner

De Gea
Neves Bruno
Grealish
Sancho Werner Rashford

Agree with this except that we need someone like Partey to clean up in midfield. Neves isn't mobile enough. Chilwell for LB unless we can unearth a gem from the lower leagues around Europe.

reddevilchennai

1) Bruno - Done and dusted
2) Sancho - Seems more likely after Chelsea agreed deal for Ziyech
3) Grealish - Villa going down. City seems interested too. Difficult but can be done.
4) Partey - Would be best suited for Poch
5) Jimenez/Cavani - Just a stop gap signing for two years. No world class forwards available at the moment.
6) Upamecano - Contract expiring 2021. Lots of club monitoring. Very difficult to get it done.

DDG
AWB Maguire Upamecano Shaw/Williams
Partey Bruno
Grealish
Sancho Cavani Rashford

beingshe7don

CB - Upamecano
LB - No idea but needed
CM - Neves
AM - Grealish
RW - Sancho
ST - Werner

De Gea
Neves Bruno
Grealish
Sancho Werner Rashford

I would flip Grealish and Bruno and Neves will cost us 65m upward whose not worth that much. If we can pull off Sancho, Werner, and Grealish, that would immediately improve us but Sancho will cost 100m, Werner will be 80m and Grealish will be 45m. I guess Pogba leaving could balance the books but both Werner and Sancho will be looking for a CL playing side which seems unrealistic at the moment.

beingshe7don

Firstly, we're not getting 6 signings, so that's very unrealistic, to begin with. We're more likely to get 3 to 4 good players.

1. Grealish - I think we'll get him if Spurs, Chelsea or Man City aren't interested.
2. M Dembele - I think we couldn't get him in Jan as Lyon refused to sell him
3. RW - We need an RW at all cost and Sancho is the one we are heavily linked with but we have a 4/10 chance of getting him. We may resort to a cheaper alternative or some unknown guy instead. Either that or we may just continue to persist with Daniel James, Mata, and Greenwood
4. Wonderkid sorta signing - I'm assuming Jude Bellingham will eventually be bought to get one up on the competition.

big_jeffstar

Firstly, we're not getting 6 signings, so that's very unrealistic, to begin with. We're more likely to get 3 to 4 good players.

1. Grealish - I think we'll get him if Spurs, Chelsea or Man City aren't interested.
2. M Dembele - I think we couldn't get him in Jan as Lyon refused to sell him
3. RW - We need an RW at all cost and Sancho is the one we are heavily linked with but we have a 4/10 chance of getting him. We may resort to a cheaper alternative or some unknown guy instead. Either that or we may just continue to persist with Daniel James, Mata, and Greenwood
4. Wonderkid sorta signing - I'm assuming Jude Bellingham will eventually be bought to get one up on the competition.
lighten up...it''s a hypothetical post...no need to fill everything with doom and gloom ffs

Lee565

I wonder if Joao felix would be a realistic option?

Atletico are a shadow of their best under simeone, it might be wise for him on already as his development has suffered since moving and Atletico certainly ain't getting their money's worth from him and it may be best for them to try and get the cash back whilst they still can.