6 realistic signings to improve us?

Jericholyte2

Another mash-up of names, complete fantasy based on a 100% belief in Ed Woodward*

Out:
Lingard ~15m
Smalling ~ 18m
Rojo - continue load or nominal fee
Matic - contract expires
Pereira ~ 10m

In:
Sancho ~ 110m
Jovic - loan with option to buy
Grealish ~ 50m
Ndidi ~ 65m
Fabian Ruiz ~ 55m
Upamecano ~ 40m

20/21 Starting XI:

—————————————De Gea(29)—————————————
AWB(22)—Upamecano(21)——Maguire(27)—Williams(19)
————————Ndidi(23)—————Pogba(27)————————
Sancho(20)——————Fernandes(26)—————Rashford(22)
——————————————Jovic(22)

Average age: 23.45 - plenty of scope for moulding a team with the right coaching, especially if Pochettino comes in.

Bench includes 7 of; Martial, Greenwood, James, Grealish, Ruiz, McT, Fred, Axel, Lindelof, Shaw and Dalot gives plenty of options and cover for injuries.

* belief in Woodward may not really exist and this was just a fun FM style exercise

SouthPredators4

Another mash-up of names, complete fantasy based on a 100% belief in Ed Woodward*

Out:
Lingard ~15m
Smalling ~ 18m
Rojo - continue load or nominal fee
Matic - contract expires
Pereira ~ 10m

In:
Sancho ~ 110m
Jovic - loan with option to buy
Grealish ~ 50m
Ndidi ~ 65m
Fabian Ruiz ~ 55m
Upamecano ~ 40m

20/21 Starting XI:

—————————————De Gea(29)—————————————
AWB(22)—Upamecano(21)——Maguire(27)—Williams(19)
————————Ndidi(23)—————Pogba(27)————————
Sancho(20)——————Fernandes(26)—————Rashford(22)
——————————————Jovic(22)

Average age: 23.45 - plenty of scope for moulding a team with the right coaching, especially if Pochettino comes in.

Bench includes 7 of; Martial, Greenwood, James, Grealish, Ruiz, McT, Fred, Axel, Lindelof, Shaw and Dalot gives plenty of options and cover for injuries.

* belief in Woodward may not really exist and this was just a fun FM style exercise

No way our board will allow for a net 300mil spending. I really like the signings though I will do a few changes.

• Lingard > 25mil easily due to being English and League proven

• Sell DDG and bring back Henderson. Probably a fee of $40m due to his wages.

• Either Ruiz or Grealish. Both would be overkill at this moment.

HD7

No way our board will allow for a net 300mil spending. I really like the signings though I will do a few changes.

• Lingard > 25mil easily due to being English and League proven

• Sell DDG and bring back Henderson. Probably a fee of $40m due to his wages.

• Either Ruiz or Grealish. Both would be overkill at this moment.

Actually its either Ruiz or Ndidi for me.
And If we get all of the mentioned players I wouldnt mind selling Pogba. It would be very interesting to see Pogba in a flamboyant team. Its true that our club “sold” him a dream, which they didnt fulfill. Dont get me wrong Pogba has his bad attitude features. However he was used to play with very good midfielders in Italy. In his first games back in 2016 hes was in midfield axis with Fellaini versus Silva, KDB, Fernandinho... I mean come on :D
Having said all of this, If he really wants to go... I think all of this good signigs will make us still a very good team :)

Tony247

We still need a proper striker and a defensive midfielder.
Yes, but we are not going to get all of them. Bruno was part of summer budget so realistically at the most 2 more signings can happen. When pogba on his way out, which 2 positions you would fill on priority?

croadyman

I can only see us making an absolute maximum of four signings in the summer but my gut feeling is we only sign three and yet again stupidly neglect that CDM position for yet another year and wonder why we end up being too open between defence and midfield in the big games. That being said I will go for us bringing in

AM Grealish
RW Sancho (if we get champions league)
ST Dembele

My first choice for striker would be Werner and if he really is available for that reported £46m we should absolutely be all over it, however all indications today suggest that he could well be on his way to Anfield in the summer. I wouldn't be averse to bringing in an up and coming talent like Gaich but really could do with signing someone already established in that position.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Marcelo Brozović has been doing great this season at Inter. He is 27 at the peak of his power and has a release clause of £50.5million.

romufc

It was 6 before Bruno signed. We will probably look at 3/4 in the summer.

I would go

Sancho - if we get CL - £120m
Grealish - £50m
Soumare - £30m
Bellingham - £30m

Total spend £230m

Sell Pogba £120m

Net spend of £100m

Lynty

6 isn't realistic at all.

Sancho
Grealish
Bellingham

I also think Pogba will stay (under duress)

Ander herrera the warrior

Don't know why is 6 signings being mentioned but I can see us going for only 3 signings at max, even if Pogba leaves.

To me we will sign one striker, one cdm, and one right winger. Maybe its controversial to many, but I think our defence is already sorted.

In Moussa Dembele, Jason Sancho, Kalvin Phillips/any better cdm

Out Pogba, Sanchez, Smalling, Lingard, Andreas Pereira, Rojo

croadyman

It was 6 before Bruno signed. We will probably look at 3/4 in the summer.

I would go

Sancho - if we get CL - £120m
Grealish - £50m
Soumare - £30m
Bellingham - £30m

Total spend £230m

Sell Pogba £120m

Net spend of £100m
Yeah that definitely sounds a realistic possibility but my gut feeling is that Utd are prioritising a striker over a CDM this summer but I could be totally wrong and they shock us all and actually bring in both.

RatPack

Not sure why Sancho is being mentioned all the time. No way in h... he is coming to us.
He will most likely have offers from 5 or more better teams in the summer. An do not think he will be stupid enough to go for the highest salary at his age.

Why sign Grealish when we have Rashford in the same position. We need to sign player in the spots where we have the biggest problems.

We need a striker (Dembele/Jovic), DCM (ndidi/Neves) and a RW (?)

And I now that even these players might be out of our reach.

But please just don´t sign a Raiola player. And please offload the 2 we have.

romufc

Yeah that definitely sounds a realistic possibility but my gut feeling is that Utd are prioritising a striker over a CDM this summer but I could be totally wrong and they shock us all and actually bring in both.
Well tbh 2/3 signings wherever should improve the squad so as long as we get 2/3 signings in, I will be relatively happy.

jesperjaap

Out:
Pogba £120m
Lingard £25m
Bailly £25m
Smalling £15m
Pereira £15m
Martial - £55m
Rojo - Lee Grant - Matic - mata

£290m

In:
Upamecano £40m
Grealish £80m
Soumare £40m
Bellingham £50m
Sancho £120m
Striker? - £70m ish

£400m

£110m net spend

DeGea/Romero

Dalot/Bissaka--------------------------------------Upamecano/Tuanzabe--------------------Lindelof/Maguire----------------------------------Shaw/Williams

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------McTominay/Soumare----------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------Fernandes/Bellingham-------------------------------------------------------Fred/Grealish

Sancho/James---------------------------------------------------------------Greenwood/?????--------------------------------------------------------Rashford/Chong

That is what I would like to see similar too ideally...... though I fully expect as most seasons recently barely half of that in or out. We NEED two central midfield additions, a right winger and a striker at the very least, I hope we at least manage that over the summer. I hope they are mainyl yougn English players and lets not forget even though currently not agiant of a side, to English players it generally doesnt get bigger than signing for us

HD7

I like very much the INs/ OUTs that @jesperjaap has suggested.

Having said that, I realistically dont see us getting more than 3/4 players:

Starting line-up after summer :

De Gea
Williams/Shaw
Maguire
Lindelof/Tuanzebe/Baily
AWB

CDM?
Pogba
Bruno

Rashford
Striker?
RW?

These are the priorities for me:

RW: Sancho obviously is the best option. Hope we get him, if not... then prepare the plan B. We need ready alternatives for all of our planned transfers really.

Striker: Now the smartest move for me is to take Jovic on loan if things dont change in Real in spring. And if he comes good in our team, then buy him.
Alternatives: Dembele, Werner (If we sell Pogba)

CDM: The tricky part. For me this position is more important than getting Grealish and wonder where to play him.
The question is should the CDM be the technical tempo-set type like Verratti/ Jorginio - one of Neves, Ruiz for examle, or be more about the power and stamina like Partey and Ndidi.
Having in mind we have Mctominay and Fred as backup... I think someone like Neves is the player we dont have.
Interesting to hear your opinion, mates?

These are the key positions which we should prioritize IMO. So its Sancho, Jovic and Neves respectively for me.

*If we do sell Pogba - this is where one of Grealish/Maddy should come in (Bruno can play on the right next to the CDM, Grealish/ Maddy as our AMF).
Grealish seems to be the better choice because he can also change sometimes Rashford on the left, play CM or even AMR if we need him to.
Use the rest of the money for Bellingham and decide if its better to loan him out or just get him adapted to the team right away.

And to be honest if we really do these transfer operations, then I would be very glad with 3-4 new starters.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grinner

#CR7

Out
Pogba
Dalot
Shaw
Smalling
Jones
Lingard
Pereira
Mata
Matic

In
Grealish
Sancho
Phillips
Gaya

Net spend should be around 100m which is realistic.

Main issue will be getting rid of a lot of the players who are on high wages.

Academy players like Mengi & Laird to be part of the first team from next season.

beingshe7don

Yes, but we are not going to get all of them. Bruno was part of summer budget so realistically at the most 2 more signings can happen. When pogba on his way out, which 2 positions you would fill on priority?
if 2 more signings were only available, I would go for a quality defensive midfielder in Ndidi or Partey that would protect our defense and improve the tempo of our game. Many a times, we've been accused of being too slow. With Bruno and Fred, a faster DM would give us that acceleration on the counter.

It would have to be between a RW and a ST and we've not had a proper RW for ages which is why I would go for a ST who could fill in at RW from time to time and Werner would be my choice.

My first eleven
--------- Rashford ------------- Werner ---------- Greenwood
------------------------- Bruno ---------------- Fred ---------------------
----------------------------------- Ndidi/ Partey ------------------------
Williams ------ Maguire ---------------------- Lindelof ------ AWB
-------------------------------------- DDG -----------------------------------

croadyman

I like very much the INs/ OUTs that @jesperjaap has suggested.

Having said that, I realistically dont see us getting more than 3/4 players:

Starting line-up after summer :

De Gea
Williams/Shaw
Maguire
Lindelof/Tuanzebe/Baily
AWB

CDM?
Pogba
Bruno

Rashford
Striker?
RW?

These are the priorities for me:

RW: Sancho obviously is the best option. Hope we get him, if not... then prepare the plan B. We need ready alternatives for all of our planned transfers really.

Striker: Now the smartest move for me is to take Jovic on loan if things dont change in Real in spring. And if he comes good in our team, then buy him.
Alternatives: Dembele, Werner (If we sell Pogba)

CDM: The tricky part. For me this position is more important than getting Grealish and wonder where to play him.
The question is should the CDM be the technical tempo-set type like Verratti/ Jorginio - one of Neves, Ruiz for examle, or be more about the power and stamina like Partey and Ndidi.
Having in mind we have Mctominay and Fred as backup... I think someone like Neves is the player we dont have.
Interesting to hear your opinion, mates?

These are the key positions which we should prioritize IMO. So its Sancho, Jovic and Neves respectively for me.

*If we do sell Pogba - this is where one of Grealish/Maddy should come in (Bruno can play on the right next to the CDM, Grealish/ Maddy as our AMF).
Grealish seems to be the better choice because he can also change sometimes Rashford on the left, play CM or even AMR if we need him to.
Use the rest of the money for Bellingham and decide if its better to loan him out or just get him adapted to the team right away.

And to be honest if we really do these transfer operations, then I would be very glad with 3-4 new starters.
Yeah I totally agree about the importance of a proper CDM but like you say do we need more of a tempo controlling type player or someone who is all energy and covers every blade of grass during the game. I would be interested to hear people's thoughts on this one because I am really unsure about this.

The other question is should we go for a proper RW this summer or look to target a ST who can play all across the front line, obviously ideally we would be looking to sign both but my gut feeling is that we will probably only bring in three players this summer which would be

AM
RW/ST
CDM

Last edited:
Reactions: VeevaVee

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
The other question is should we go for a proper RW this summer or look to target a ST who can play all across the front line, obviously ideally we would be looking to sign both but my gut feeling is that we will probably only bring in three players this summer which would be

I think we desperately need both. Although we could do with Pogba money, we really need him to stay so it's not yet another position we need to sort. That said if Grealish is available for 40-50m like some reports, I'd like to think we can afford that too.

A dream summer for me if Pogba goes would be:

Quality striker
Sancho
Grealish
Cantwell for some depth or a DM, but I rate McTom as a DM.

I'd also stick Smalling next to Maguire.

Last edited:

Mark Pawelek

These 6 signing are players already linked to United who improve specific positions. They may actually happen!

Out:

David de Gea ------ 50 ----- replaced with: Henderson
Paul Pogba ------- 125 ----- replaced with: Fernandes
Andreas Pereira --- 15
Phil Jones -------- 10
Jesse Lingard ----- 15

Total ------------ 215

In:

-------------------------------------- Replaces
Kumballa ---------- 25 ----- D(C) ---- Jones
Grealish ---------- 45 ----- AM-CR --- Pereira
Sancho ----------- 100 ----- AM-R ---- Lingard
Adolfo Gaich ------ 10.7 --- CF ------ Lukaku!
Leandro Paredes --- 35 ----- DCM ----- Carrick! Someone we never replaced!
Odsonne Edouard --- 25 ----- CF ------ Odion Ighalo (loan over after summer)

Total ------------ 241

Most of these new players replace those who should've been replaced or must be replaced because they're leaving or should leave.

I'd also like a fit fullback to replace Shaw. But will hobble through next season hoping Williams isn't injured.

Kumballa is a very young (20) centre back playing for Hellas Verona in Italy. Very impressive defensive game. He is my backup for Maguire. Other centre backs in his age range are either out of reach (at big clubs), or crocked for this season already.
Paredes is an Argy midfield pivot with superb passing and decent defence. The kind of player United have missed since Carrick retired. Currently rotting away in PSG reserves but good enough to play for Argentine 1st team.
Gaich is a very young (20), tallish bruiser of a centre forward in the classic Argentine mode. He offers a definite plan B and will also be an acceptable sub should our main centre forward get injured, as he has some skill too.
The other 3 you already know about.

4-3-3
------------------------------------ Henderson/Romero

AWB/Dalot ---- Maguire/Kumballa ---- Linderof/Tuanzebe ---- Shaw/Williams

---- Fernandes/Grealish ---- Paredes/Matic ---- McTominay/Fred

---- Sancho/James ---- Edouard/Gaich ---- Rashford/Martial

Realistically. We get 4 not 6. So Bailly is Maguire's shaddow, not Kumballa, and the CF will be: New CF/Greenwood

Last edited:

Michael T

So, we take our chance and scrape a Champions League place. Are Manchester City players now 'realistic' targets in the summer? Which of their players would you want us to pursue? They won't even need to move house!

Last edited:

Macedonian Red

So, we take our chance and scrape a Champions League place. Are Manchester City players now 'realistic' targets in the summer? Which of their players would you want us to pursue? They won't even need to move house!
Laporte, Rodri, De Bruyne, Bernardo Silva, Sterling, Mahrez!

Aguero and David Silva will improve us too, but they a bit older.

croadyman

I think we desperately need both. Although we could do with Pogba money, we really need him to stay so it's not yet another position we need to sort. That said if Grealish is available for 40-50m like some reports, I'd like to think we can afford that too.

A dream summer for me if Pogba goes would be:

Quality striker
Sancho
Grealish
Cantwell for some depth or a DM, but I rate McTom as a DM.

I'd also stick Smalling next to Maguire.
Which striker do you think we can realistically get,also think McTominay can do a job in midfield but really need to sign a proper DM.

sp_107

I wonder if Joao felix would be a realistic option?

Atletico are a shadow of their best under simeone, it might be wise for him on already as his development has suffered since moving and Atletico certainly ain't getting their money's worth from him and it may be best for them to try and get the cash back whilst they still can.
I really wondered why he went to A-Madrid as Simeone is never an attacking coach and most of their games under him were 1-0's.

It is painful to see UTD is not an appealing destination for talent's like this. Werner is another one comes to my mind, Ihe past he said he prefers UTD to Liverpool but things gone so downwards at our club, he is available for 50M but he wants to go Pool now.

I do hope we get another 3/4 decent signings (ST,RW,CM,CD) in this summer and start playing better football so that we can become attractive again.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Which striker do you think we can realistically get,also think McTominay can do a job in midfield but really need to sign a proper DM.
I dunno, that’s why I left it blank. There don’t seem to be many about these days. I’d like to think the scouting team knows about a few more than me though.

bucky

Thuram is doing well at Gladbach. Considering Ole is looking at a different striker, compared to Rashford, Martial and Greenwood, I think he could be ideal.

Last edited:

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
De Gea
Wan-Bissaka Koulibaly Maguire Digne
Partey

Fernandes Grealish
Sancho
Martial Rashford

I feel mean on Fred but he'll get plenty of game time
Koulibaly - 60-80m
Digne 30-50m
Partey 50m release clause
Grealish 40-60m depending on Villa's PL status
Sancho 100m+

Get it done you tight fecks. We never spent the Ronaldo money, we never spent the Lukaku money. Splash it.

Sparky Rhiwabon

De Gea
Partey

Fernandes Grealish
Sancho
Martial Rashford

Koulibaly - 60-80m
Digne 30-50m
Sancho 100m+

Get it done you tight fecks. We never spent the Ronaldo money, we never spent the Lukaku money. Splash it.
That's pretty much what I was going to go for but add a striker to make it up to the six - Werner maybe?

Sparky Rhiwabon

And don't worry about money - I'm sure we can find six outgoings to balance things up

Pogba
Rojo
Sanchez
Jones
Smalling
Lindelof
Pereira
Lingard
Mata

Take your pick out of that lot!

El Zoido

We have spend £887 million in the last 10 years, second most in the league.
Yeah and they’ve taken over a billion out of the club to line their own pockets since they took over. They’ve also paid more in interest than our total net spend. Fecking parasites.

laughtersassassin

Actually fairly funny how easy it would be for us to have a top 3 team next season yet it is so unlikely that we will do enough to make it one.

Selling: Pogba - 100
Smalling - 20
Jones- 10-15
Lingard or Andreas - 10-15

Total Min 140 mil

Add to that a decent budget of 100mil

Budget 240 mil.

Grealish 60 Mil
Sancho 120 Mil
Partey 50 Mil

Only 3 signings but our team looks much much better imo. Stretch a bit more and add a striker to that and we are laughing imo.

To me a very realistic summer bar maybe convincing Sanch to come. Very achievable but somehow I expect Pogba to leave and to pretty much just spend his money which would be an absolute disgrace

Infra-red

De Gea
Partey

Fernandes Grealish
Sancho
Martial Rashford

Koulibaly - 60-80m
Digne 30-50m
Sancho 100m+

That's about £350m worth of players! If you don't have it (which we don't), you can't splash it!

laughtersassassin

That's about £350m worth of players! If you don't have it (which we don't), you can't splash it!
Take out Kouli and Digne and that's a very realistic and doable window though.

With Pogba Smalling and a few others leaving those 3 are easily affordable and not doing business of that quality would be a disgrace.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

While there are many people I want to replace in the squad, I don't want another mass fire sale that leaves us crazy short again. I definitely want to try and get rid of Lingard though. Watching him last night, you wonder how he will ever get "it" back. We tried playing him into form and that has only hurt us!

jackal&hyde

Judging by what the media are saying, we are after Sancho and Grealish and a striker. That's a lot of money and a lot of work to be done in a EC summer. I hope Pogba stays because i can't see us replacing him with quality in such a situation. DM might have to wait until winter or next summer.