6 year old shoots teacher in Virginia

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
And grant him his final wish of holding his mum and dad's hands.

fergies coat

My 6 year old plays with her toy kitchen, and watches Peter Rabbit. Absolute lunatics on the other side of the pond.

Greatest country in the world. Their having a laugh.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Children running around with guns is alive and well in the US where it’s largely been blunted in Europe etc etc.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
To be fair .. if I'm living in America. I would want a gun... And probably become addicted and hoard lots of guns

I do fantasies about owning a gun when i was little, loading reloading the magazine, i know it's dangerous and all that and rather live in a country with no guns. Sanity and all that

But deep inside.. yeah.. i think I'll own one even if it's only for novelty and not for being brandished out in public. At least i have the law to lean to.

And if it comes to the point where everyone has guns and most thugs have guns... I'd say feck it and own one myself.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
To be fair .. if I'm living in America. I would want a gun... And probably become addicted and hoard lots of guns

I do fantasies about owning a gun when i was little, loading reloading the magazine, i know it's dangerous and all that and rather live in a country with no guns. Sanity and all that

But deep inside.. yeah.. i think I'll own one even if it's only for novelty and not for being brandished out in public. At least i have the law to lean to.

And if it comes to the point where everyone has guns and most thugs have guns... I'd say feck it and own one myself.
Someone was asking earlier why the US is the way it is. This, this right here is why.

You don’t even live here, but you still fantasize about violence and possessing the means to enact it.

I’m not judging you @Sky1981 , I believe if any other country had our laws they would be like us. Humans are hard wired for violence.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Someone was asking earlier why the US is the way it is. This, this right here is why.

You don’t even live here, but you still fantasize about violence and possessing the means to enact it.

I’m not judging you @Sky1981 , I believe if any other country had our laws they would be like us. Humans are hard wired for violence.
Correction. I dont Fantasize violence. I romantices guns, in a fantasy where nobody gets hurts. People love action movie doesnt mean they love shooting people.

You'll never get it right untill you stop lumping everyone who owns guns as violence loving. There are myriad of reasons why one owns gun.

To make them accept changes, you have to humanise them, listen to their reasoning, come up with logical counter, instead of shouting "gun idiots" at every corner. This is what droves the republicans determination, because they're always shoved with insulting rhetorics.

For example. People like me would have no problem with strict as hell gun regulations, even a at home only gun might be fine by me. Just as people who believes home invasions are real would probably be fine too.

You might need other approach for hard line right wing nutters, but sure is shouting at these kinds would not work and would only be met with ignorance

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Correction. I dont Fantasize violence. I romantices guns, in a fantasy where nobody gets hurts. People love action movie doesnt mean they love shooting people.

You'll never get it right untill you stop lumping everyone who owns guns as violence loving. There are myriad of reasons why one owns gun.

To make them accept changes, you have to humanise them, listen to their reasoning, come up with logical counter, instead of shouting "gun idiots" at every corner. This is what droves the republicans determination, because they're always shoved with insulting rhetorics.

For example. People like me would have no problem with strict as hell gun regulations, even a at home only gun might be fine by me. Just as people who believes home invasions are real would probably be fine too.

You might need other approach for hard line right wing nutters, but sure is shouting at these kinds would not work and would only be met with ignorance
I respectfully disagree. By purchasing a gun, or ammunition, you are incentivizing the continued proliferation of tools whose so purpose is death and injury.

Every person who owns a gun is making a concrete choice to own this tool. A choice to keep demand high, which ensures more are produced. A choice to provide funds to gun companies to use to lobby against gun control. A choice to expand the vast pool of weapons that may fall into the hands of 6 year olds.

Does every gun owner want to do violence? Probably not, but their choice to purchase shows their indifference to the violence done by their peers.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Honestly, no. I know my post was hyperbolic, but there are few positions I hold as radically as my anti-gun (especially handgun) stance. The change has to start somewhere, and until we as a society realize it needs to start with us we will be forever amidst a growing wave of death and horror. The selfish need to feel safe, at the expense of the actual safety of others, is so profoundly American it should be our new motto, and the AR-15 our new symbol.
Almost nobody needs a gun of any sort. Law enforcement (under some circumstances), military, licenced non-recreational hunter (long rifle or shotgun only) for the removal of feral pests primarily but not sure what other purposes. If we do have to have them for sport all guns need to be hugely licenced and controlled which includes a gin never leaving a registered shooting range. People may like them but it is just a hobby and not worth the harm.

Never going to happen in the US where even registering guns is controversial.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters

The reasonable approach has been tried multiple times, the ironic thing is that most people aren't after taking guns way, they just want proper controls on how you purchase them anmd to stop the AR-15 type weapons that have no business being in civilian hands - older members of this forum might remember the IRA's favourite gun, the Armalite, which is in fact the AR-15 or Armalite model 15

In most (maybe all) States you can buy a gun before you can legally buy a beer or a pack of cigarettes, in fact, in some states the age to buy a gun is the same age as the age of consent in that state, which can be 17 or 18

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Just like religious scripts, constitutions and similar documents are being followed as is decades and centuries after despite their content making no sense in the current context. However most countries' don't have this sort of weirdo bullshit in their constitution that allows people to be illogical and pretty much 'religious' about. There's no real difference between America's gun loving population (huge chunk) and religious fanatics who follow some ancient and immoral piece of writing as if it's life's guiding principle

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Just like religious scripts, constitutions and similar documents are being followed as is decades and centuries after despite their content making no sense in the current context. However most countries' don't have this sort of weirdo bullshit in their constitution that allows people to be illogical and pretty much 'religious' about. There's no real difference between America's gun loving population (huge chunk) and religious fanatics who follow some ancient and immoral piece of writing as if it's life's guiding principle
Yes. And you fix religious cult by culture, education, not by persecution or shoving it to their throat. The more people are repressed the more rigorous they become.

If Americans travel the world, and sees what a beautiful world could be without guns then they'll be more accepting of changes.

The way it's going the divide and dissent is getting sharper by the day with both sides flinging mud in either direction and digging their heels deeper

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
Yes. And you fix religious cult by culture, education, not by persecution or shoving it to their throat. The more people are repressed the more rigorous they become.

If Americans travel the world, and sees what a beautiful world could be without guns then they'll be more accepting of changes.

The way it's going the divide and dissent is getting sharper by the day with both sides flinging mud in either direction and digging their heels deeper
I can't help feeling your need to excuse gun ownership as a problem the rest of us are creating. Or not helping to solve with "our attitude".

I can see what WI Red means. This, this here is the problem. Sorry sky, there is NOTHING the rest of the world can do to help stupid.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I can't help feeling your need to excuse gun ownership as a problem the rest of us are creating. Or not helping to solve with "our attitude".

I can see what WI Red means. This, this here is the problem. Sorry sky, there is NOTHING the rest of the world can do to help stupid.
This sort of shitty attitude of labeling everyone is the one I'm talking about. At one point people will just stop engaging and becoming more entrenched in their position

Good luck calling people stupid and taking away their guns.

Member 125398

Very well put. This should also be the line of thought when we talk about the middle east, China etc...

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
This sort of shitty attitude of labeling everyone is the one I'm talking about. At one point people will just stop engaging and becoming more entrenched in their position

You do realise that shark has been jumped many, many kids lives ago, right?

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
Very well put. This should also be the line of thought when we talk about the middle east, China etc...
And all those folks thrown into Guantanamo on a whim. Oh yeah, we all forgot about that too. Where were the dialogues? The trials? Entrenchment, I tells thee.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
He’s too young to be tried as an adult, but will be taken from his family and put into CPS. There are kids as young as 12 in adult prisons but this 6 year old threw them all for a loop.
If his parents had kept their guns locked in a gun safe out of his reach, it wouldn't have happened. They have facilitated this by being cavalier about guns. Women carrying little pistols in their handbags, men going to the supermarket wearing a gun holster - it's normalising it all the time, it's saying "these are just another accessory you have on your person, like your keys, or a lipstick, or a coin purse."

40 years ago I was a member of a gun club when handguns were still legal in the UK. We only shot at the range and if we didn't have a gun licence (which I didn't), the gun stayed locked up at the range (I had a Browning .22 semi-automatic pistol, a smallish gun but still a lethal weapon). Consequently, you regarded handling the gun as a big deal and were constantly aware of the danger of it all.

Even that wasn't foolproof, as you had to keep your weapon and bullets with you at all times when you were at the range. However, the toilets were in the lobby area, and the outer door was unlocked when the place was open. I often thought that a crazy could just walk right out of the toilet with their gun and onto the street, and no-one would realise. Anyway, all those places were closed down a long time ago, which was the right thing to do.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United

As mentioned above, that shipped sailed already, likely at Sandy Hook, although I would argue it was long before that.

We discussed above the link of violence and gun ownership. So let’s dig into that a bit. I think we could both agree that someone should not be allowed to own a surface to air missile, right? If we start at that point of agreement I would ask why that is, why is it that handgun equals ok, but SAM not. The answer is scale, not function. We, as a society, have decided that the potential for a 6 year old to walk into school and shoot his teachers is an acceptable price to pay so we can keep our death fetish toys, but a full airplane is a bit too much. The death of others is fine, just not too much death, that makes us feel kinda bad.

That is what I am getting at. I want gun owners to, at the very least, admit that to themselves. Admit that by their purchase they are actively choosing to enable every Sandy Hook, Buffalo, Pulse Night Club, Las Vegas, etc. Laws will never change in this country, so it will come down to people changing. However, as long as they cowardly hide by the mental gymnastics of “wow, how did that happen, wish I could do something but darn it I can’t” they never will.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!

I have no idea why you’d fantasise about owning a gun without wanting to shoot it if at the very least, you weren’t attracted by the association with violence and fantasies of using it though.

Like smoking, it has a certain ‘cool’ factor but you wouldn’t say it’s good for you which probably adds to it.

if a gun didn’t do what it does, I highly doubt you’d fantasise about owning the piece of metal so it’s loaded.

Guns shouldn’t be ‘cool’ or fantasised about and you’re actively helping the problem by doing so, regardless of what you’d do with it.

There’s no possible fantasy of wanting a gun where somebody doesn’t get hurt. You might not hurt anyone but the romance you talk of is driven by someone hurting someone else using a gun.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
As mentioned above, that shipped sailed already, likely at Sandy Hook, although I would argue it was long before that.

We discussed above the link of violence and gun ownership. So let’s dig into that a bit. I think we could both agree that someone should not be allowed to own a surface to air missile, right? If we start at that point of agreement I would ask why that is, why is it that handgun equals ok, but SAM not. The answer is scale, not function. We, as a society, have decided that the potential for a 6 year old to walk into school and shoot his teachers is an acceptable price to pay so we can keep our death fetish toys, but a full airplane is a bit too much. The death of others is fine, just not too much death, that makes us feel kinda bad.

That is what I am getting at. I want gun owners to, at the very least, admit that to themselves. Admit that by their purchase they are actively choosing to enable every Sandy Hook, Buffalo, Pulse Night Club, Las Vegas, etc. Laws will never change in this country, so it will come down to people changing. However, as long as they cowardly hide by the mental gymnastics of “wow, how did that happen, wish I could do something but darn it I can’t” they never will.
There should be some potential for some laws to change, currently fully automatic weapons are banned and have been for a long time, therefore it's reasonable to assume that the government should also be able to ban semi-automatic weapons

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Can't we all just accept that guns are for cowards and go back to the cool times when we were all chopping each other in pieces using swords and axes instead? I mean a 6 year old wouldn't be strong enough to pickup a steel sword let along stab someone with it. Problem solved. It might ruin peoples sex dreams about waving guns around and pretending to be 007, but hey, new fantasies can be unlocked! King Arthur? Robin Hood? Odysseus? The chap from Gladiator.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
There should be some potential for some laws to change, currently fully automatic weapons are banned and have been for a long time, therefore it's reasonable to assume that the government should also be able to ban semi-automatic weapons
In 96 I lost two classmates to guns (one suicide, one homicide)
In 97 we all watch the North Hollywood shootout - Wikipedia live on TV as a war errupted on the streets of LA
In 98 I watch Daniel V. Jones - Wikipedia kill himslef on live TV. I can still remember the pink cloud of blood and brain matter erupting from his head.
In 99 there was Columbine.

These events, all before I turned 20, shaped my view on guns. I would like to think I still had some hope and faith after that, but if I did Sandy Hook burned every last shred to the ground.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Can't we all just accept that guns are for cowards and go back to the cool times when we were all chopping each other in pieces using swords and axes instead? I mean a 6 year old wouldn't be strong enough to pickup a steel sword let along stab someone with it. Problem solved. It might ruin peoples sex dreams about waving guns around and pretending to be 007, but hey, new fantasies can be unlocked! King Arthur? Robin Hood? Odysseus? The chap from Gladiator.
You're forgetting that Americans don't have that history, their history is the Frontier and the Wild West so you could say they're kind of doing what you say they should do

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
In 96 I lost two classmates to guns (one suicide, one homicide)
In 97 we all watch the North Hollywood shootout - Wikipedia live on TV as a war errupted on the streets of LA
In 98 I watch Daniel V. Jones - Wikipedia kill himslef on live TV. I can still remember the pink cloud of blood and brain matter erupting from his head.
In 99 there was Columbine.

These events, all before I turned 20, shaped my view on guns. I would like to think I still had some hope and faith after that, but if I did Sandy Hook burned every last shred to the ground.
In those days I was still in Britain, we had events there that led to the banning of guns, Hungerford in 1987 led to the ban on "long guns" and in 1996 at a school in Dunblane, Scotland which led to a ban on handguns, tennis star Andy Murray was present at the latter though in a different classroom so not directly impacted as such

Real Name

I'm sure their logic is if the teacher had a gun, they could have defended themselves and shot the 6 yr old
Yup, all pro gun guys have the same logic. Its not weapons should be banned but all the workers in schools, from a janitor, through the pupils to a director, they all should be armed.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Yup, all pro gun guys have the same logic. Its not weapons should be banned but all the workers in schools, from a janitor, through the pupils to a director, they all should be armed.
It's the same logic as criminals have guns therefore we must have them as well

I'd be curious to know the stats for how many shootings occur when somebody actually defends their home from an intruder with a gun

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
America is one of the most fecked up countries on the planet. I've said it before but you couldn't pay me to live in that utter cess pit.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
America is one of the most fecked up countries on the planet. I've said it before but you couldn't pay me to live in that utter cess pit.
It's really not though.

Edit: Just took a quick look at crime statistics for violent crime:

Northern Ireland: 23 per 1,000 people (trending upwards) Northern Ireland Crime and Safety Statistics | CrimeRate
USA: 4 per 1,000 people (trending downwards) Myths and Realities: Understanding Recent Trends in Violent Crime | Brennan Center for Justice

I am not saying NI is an utter cesspit, I bet it is lovely and it is on our list of places to visit. The point is that every country has its fecked up stuff, but by and large the majority of the places and people are good and decent and worth the investment in time.

Last edited:

Real Name

I'd be curious to know the stats for how many shootings occur when somebody actually defends their home from an intruder with a gun
Ah yes, the good old if a government pops into my house I must have an assault rifle to defend myself..

Real Name

It is from what I can see - it's got a disgusting culture which I find utterly abhorrent.
These kind of generalizations dont sound good.

I have a friend who's always on about how horrible US is as a country.

Guess where he went for a honeymoon.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United

It's hard to know, but based on data from the National Crime Victimization Survey (NCVS), a twice-yearly poll of crime victims conducted by the federal government:

How Often Are Guns Used For Self-Defense? (thetrace.org)

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
These kind of generalizations dont sound good.

I have a friend who's always on about how horrible US is as a country.

Guess where he went for a honeymoon.
It's a great spot to visit don't get me wrong, I love NYC but as a culture it's disgusting and I'd rather live almost anywhere else. I've nothing against American's but it's the culture.