6 year old shoots teacher in Virginia

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
You can do all of this in Schengen.
No chance. The actual boundaries are much like higher. Even if you are techie, you might not get a job if you do not speak Spanish, German etc. Hell, even speaking the language is not always sufficient, because you are a foreigner.
But, if you are in finance, HR, law, medical care, public sector, insurance etc. there are sometimes insurmountable barriers in the EU.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
No chance. The actual boundaries are much like higher. Even if you are techie, you might not get a job if you do not speak Spanish, German etc. Hell, even speaking the language is not always sufficient, because you are a foreigner.
But, if you are in finance, HR, law, medical care, public sector, insurance etc. there are sometimes insurmountable barriers in the EU.

Canadian provinces (i guess in US too for States), even having a degree and being a professional in one province (and I guess states), you need to pass an exam to have a license for medical care jobs and probably other jobs, while in the EU, they homogenized the grades to be equivalent to any EU country.

Also, once you get a job in the EU you are much more protected than US and if life hasn't been kind or you have a bad spell, you have a safety net like Health care and public retirement pension. your vacations are protected by law

I love my life as immigrant in Canada, but because I am coming from Spain and it had been always a shit hole jobwise and housing is prohibitive as europeans bump up the price to live in a nice country. But EU is not Spain (like US is not all areas with bad jobs) and I lived in sweden and I know the standard of living in other countries and most probably I would not have any problem finding a job and staying there. I like Canada for many other reasons than economy

Canada at least has a minimal safety net but US? I would never want to live there. Not because of the people, but it is an insecure country. If you are healthy and you can work your years, it will go well. But if not, you are fecked. As random as having a car accident or being diagnosed cancer between jobs and there is something that your private insurance doesn't cover and you might need to spend your money for an unforeseen situation and have to work till you die because there is no public pension

Languages? I was 22 and I didn't speak a word in english. Took me 2 months to do university exams of 6-7 pages both sides just leaving in a non english speaking country but having and english speaking university life. I worked in customer service/sales ever since. 2 months in brazil to learn basic portuguese and work and 2 months in french guiana to learn basic french and work

Linguistic barriers? sure but to an extent

And then you have guns, I am sure is a fringe problem, but feck man, thinking on leaving my kids at school knowing that this shit can happen...

I traveled the US, I fell in love with the national parks and its people with their generosity giving me a place to stay and/or giving me a ride hitchiking from Alaska, where I saw my first gun (no law enforcement) ever at my 31 years only at my 2nd they travelling (and hold others later on), to Mexico. But living there? not with double salary, the risk and uncertainty is too big

US people are not the problem, they are exactly the same as anywhere else with their hopes and fears, but is a wild country with its government foundations serving people, broken

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Virginia teacher shot by six-year-old files $40m lawsuit

A Virginia school teacher who was shot by her six-year-old student has filed a $40m (£32m) lawsuit against school officials, alleging gross negligence for ignoring warning signs.
The lawsuit, filed on Monday, argues the defendants knew the child "had a history of random violence".
Abigail "Abby" Zwerner, 25, was shot on 6 January in the hand and upper chest and spent two weeks in hospital.
The school teacher has undergone surgery four times.
The boy brought the pistol in his backpack to Richneck Elementary School in Newport News, a city of about 180,000 residents north-west of Virginia Beach.
After being shot by the unidentified boy, Ms Zwerner got her other students to safety before calling for help for herself.
"She is a trooper, she is a hero," police chief Steve Drew said after the incident.
According to investigators, the child took his mother's firearm, which was purchased legally.

Virginia teacher shot by six-year-old files $40m lawsuit - BBC News

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
And presumably the school will sue the mother of the kid.
And all will get settled with the teacher getting a payout and the mother of the kid being made destitute?

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Had to double take at the sign there, legit first read it as “redneck elementary school”