6 years since we've had a functional right flank

AP88

Supports
Man City
Trippier’s delivery would suit this team a lot, and I’d be all for signing Mahrez too.

Ethan Laird or O’Connor will hopefully nail down the rb spot for a decade, so any signing there shouldn’t be under 25 - Trippier, Cedric or Coleman would be perfect competent signings for the role.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Valencia because of his long service and his style of play has generally avoided the harsh criticism reserved for a lot of our other defenders but the difference in quality on the ball between someone like him and Dani Alves just can't be overstated.
Why not compare Sanchez with Messi while we're at it? Dani Alves is one of the standout attacking right backs in history of the game — alongside Cafu, Zanetti and Kaltz (talking strictly about their offensive contribution), there aren't any rightbacks today who can be compared with the threat that peak Dani Alves provided.

Canagel

Why not compare Sanchez with Messi while we're at it? Dani Alves is one of the standout attacking right backs in history of the game — alongside Cafu, Zanetti and Kaltz (talking strictly about their offensive contribution), there aren't any rightbacks today who can be compared with the threat that peak Dani Alves provided.
Forget Alves. Look at bit closer to home. TAA at Liverpool. Walker at City. Even Trippier. Valencia is far away from these guys let alone someone like Alves.

Velvet Revolver

Well, Jose did say Tony V is the 'Best RB in the world right now'. Not sure if he meant 'now' as a passage of time as in that moment or maybe he did.

Velvet Revolver

Forget Alves. Look at bit closer to home. TAA at Liverpool. Walker at City. Even Trippier. Valencia is far away from these guys let alone someone like Alves.
The guy who got wrong-footed twice and resulted in two goals when we played them.

Valencia is a limited player but comparisons have to be fair. Yes, Alves is a stretch. But credit to Valencia for being a 'converted' RB and playing as long as he did in that spot are there any players in that mold that he can be compared with?

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
I think the vast majority of people did, United desperately needed a right winger we buy a top winger who can play on the right. No brainer it seemed.

Except the one man that actually makes these decisions decided, nah i'm going to leave the right wing basically unmanned play Sanchez on the left and piss off Martial and Rashford who were both having good seasons rotating on the left.

I like Mourinho but this has been Van Gaal level craziness.
Agree. Very annoying situation.

Canagel

The guy who got wrong-footed twice and resulted in two goals when we played them.

Valencia is a limited player but comparisons have to be fair. Yes, Alves is a stretch. But credit to Valencia for being a 'converted' RB and playing as long as he did in that spot are there any players in that mold that he can be compared with?
It doesn't matter. He recovered quite well anyways and shut down Sane in two games. At least he is positive on the ball and doesn't shirk from his attacking responsibilities. Valencia doesn't want to do his job attacking wise and he's started to be caught out defensively too. Yes we're not expecting him to be peak Alves. But for someone who has experience as a winger his refusal to go forward is baffling. He's been a great servant over the years and he's done really well to make the switch to RB but he can't be our main RB next season.

Velvet Revolver

It doesn't matter. He recovered quite well anyways and shut down Sane in two games. At least he is positive on the ball and doesn't shirk from his attacking responsibilities. Valencia doesn't want to do his job attacking wise and he's started to be caught out defensively too. Yes we're not expecting him to be peak Alves. But for someone who has experience as a winger his refusal to go forward is baffling.
About TAA but two games dont make a season! Also, the comparison between a young RB who has had maybe half a season under his belt to a 30+ year old Winger turned RB is not correct.

well, why go to TAA why not TFM? Even sane mentioned he is the toughest RB he has played against.

Canagel

About TAA but two games dont make a season! Also, the comparison between a young RB who has had maybe half a season under his belt to a 30+ year old Winger turned RB is not correct.

well, why go to TAA why not TFM? Even sane mentioned he is the toughest RB he has played against.
TFM would do much better than Valencia as well. He should've stayed with us this season but next season he should definitely be in the first team. I really like him a lot. With some development I really believe he can establish himself as first choice RB.

Velvet Revolver

TFM would do much better than Valencia as well. He should've stayed with us this season but next season he should definitely be in the first team. I really like him a lot. With some development, I really believe he can establish himself as first choice RB.
Yes, but we need a well established RB in the first team next season. TFM can be a backup/rotation.

Long Ball

Mahrez seems an obvious answer to the right wing, one more season for Valencia rotating with fosu mensah then letting him take over. Unfortunately mahrez is more of a pep style player. I wouldn't mind zaha returning either at this point. When lukaku is our best crosser and right winger it's a clear glaring weakness.

Sessegnon would bring some excitement to the left too, isn't afraid to get forwards at all and would overlap. Could forge quite a partnership with Rashford (assuming martial is off, which I doubt)

ti vu

Good post mate. I think that was our last decent pairing on the right wing, crazy to think of how long ago that was. I'm just dumbfounded as to why we've done nothing fix it.
Because after that crossing show master class Moyes served, some grew to despise crossing. People fail to realize if you do thing properly, it works. They just use Moyes' Fulham game as a stick to beat crossing. Wish and they are given LVG, who fecking complicated the whole thing up gutted out our wing play, wingers attacking full backs from the squad.

Long Ball

Because after that crossing show master class Moyes served, some grew to despise crossing. People fail to realize if you do thing properly, it works. They just use Moyes' Fulham game as a stick to beat crossing. Wish and they are given LVG, who fecking complicated the whole thing up gutted out our wing play, wingers attacking full backs from the squad.
Do you think van Gaal was that against wing play? He just brought in his own in martial and Memphis, admittedly both liked to cut inside not full traditional line huggers, but they are a dying breed anyway. Shaw also played his best stuff under him.

I wouldn't say he was against it, he just didn't optimise it

ravi2

We went for years without a functioning centre midfield as well, its how we do.

Walters_19_MuFc

It's a joke when you think about it.

We even had a chance to fix that issue, with Moura and possibly Mahrez being available in January and didn't.

Got Sanchez and most, including myself, thought it was to play him down the right, and ended up putting him on the wing where we've already got several options.

Mourinho said we don't need anymore attacking players, but if he's going to persist with Sanchez down the left, then we'll definitely need another attacker, because there's no way we can go into next season with Mata as our only proper option. If that means getting rid of one of our left wingers and getting in a top class right winger, then so be it.

One of Willian, Bale, Mahrez, Malcom and Costa should be brought in next transfer window, in my opinion.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Remember when people thought Nani even in good form was shit, and never rated Rafael and were glad we replaced him with Darmian. Back then most important thing to our fans was selling players, it's not even important if we didn't find any replacement, as long as we sell Nani and Rafael we'll be good. Good times.

Now we have same people telling us we should sell the likes of Smalling, Pogba, etc., despite having far worse players in our squad who are bringing absolutely nothing to this team, not even once a month.

Fitchett

Must admit I didn't see yesterday's game, I only had radio coverage, but sometimes that can be quite telling, when the commentary repeatedly mentions the same failings. Time and again yesterday it was....
"....plays it out wide to Valencia" (There is no one else out there other than Valencia).
"....Valencia plays it backwards"
"....Valencia crosses but its intercepted by the first defender"
"....Valencia crosses but its behind Lukaku"
"....Valencia crosses but over hits it"
"....Valencia crosses, headed away"

Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking to make Valencia a scapegoat for an all round awful 'team' performance, but clearly just by listening to the commentary you'd grasp that there is an obvious problem there.
This. Apart from Bebe, Valencia is the worst crosser we have had at the club in my 55 years of watching United. Having enjoyed the exciting pace and quality of crossing over the years from the likes of Best, Morgan, Coppell, Kanchelskis, Beckham, Ronaldo, our standards have lowered so much that we pick Valencia week after week, allowing him to waste so many attacks down the right flank for the past few years. It's so bloody obvious, so why haven't our managers addressed the problem?

ti vu

Do you think van Gaal was that against wing play? He just brought in his own in martial and Memphis, admittedly both liked to cut inside not full traditional line huggers, but they are a dying breed anyway. Shaw also played his best stuff under him.

I wouldn't say he was against it, he just didn't optimise it
His wing play is very different. It prioritize keeping possession first. It's beginning of short corner which quite numbers of time end up as pass back all the way to our deepest line on the pitch. We don't try to cross first time with LVG's infamous always taking a touch before shooting and crossing. Wide attacker in LVG system is more wide forward than wingers. They are required to pass more and only really attack when advance to certain area of the pitch

Martial was initially bought as central forward. Memphis was first tried as SS under LVG

Last edited:

kbbear

Maybe I'm old fashioned but what happened to the days of playing a natural left footer on the left and a right footer on the right. No point in signing Mahrez or Bale and the playing them on the right. I understand the thinking that by playing them on their opposite flank means that can cut in on their strong foot and shoot but maybe being able to deliver a cross without checking back and losing momentum is more beneficial. Surely a quality cross on the run is the better way.

Josep Dowling

How the right side hasn’t been addressed yet is beyond me. We haven’t created an attack from that wing in about 4 years.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
This. Apart from Bebe, Valencia is the worst crosser we have had at the club in my 55 years of watching United. Having enjoyed the exciting pace and quality of crossing over the years from the likes of Best, Morgan, Coppell, Kanchelskis, Beckham, Ronaldo, our standards have lowered so much that we pick Valencia week after week, allowing him to waste so many attacks down the right flank for the past few years. It's so bloody obvious, so why haven't our managers addressed the problem?
Hard working honest pro, always plays it safe etc.

You will notice there are not many league and champions league winning teams built around having those type of players.

Weve got a load of them.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
This stems back to LVG for me, he had Nani, Di Maria, Zaha and Rafael as right sided options and left us with Darmian.

Worryingly I thought it would be one of the first things Mourinho would address (a balanced attack) but he's made it worse.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Well, Jose did say Tony V is the 'Best RB in the world right now'. Not sure if he meant 'now' as a passage of time as in that moment or maybe he did.
There were people who actually went on that shit hard during past year or so.

He is garbage going forward and not particulary great defensively, he isnt, wasnt and never has been “the best right back in the league”.

stevoc

This stems back to LVG for me, he had Nani, Di Maria, Zaha and Rafael as right sided options and left us with Darmian.

Worryingly I thought it would be one of the first things Mourinho would address (a balanced attack) but he's made it worse.
He did buy Mkhitaryan who had just had a great season on the right wing for Dortmund and then played him mostly in the centre. Bit like how he bought Sanchez but chooses to play him on the left instead.

Canagel

Maybe I'm old fashioned but what happened to the days of playing a natural left footer on the left and a right footer on the right. No point in signing Mahrez or Bale and the playing them on the right. I understand the thinking that by playing them on their opposite flank means that can cut in on their strong foot and shoot but maybe being able to deliver a cross without checking back and losing momentum is more beneficial. Surely a quality cross on the run is the better way.
No it's not old fashioned at all. We've seen Man City this season playing right footed Sterling on the right and left footed Sane on the left. It's much more difficult for the defender to stop because the player can go outside or come inside. When you have a left footed player on the right it's easier to stop although there's nothing wrong with it of course. It's a lot more predictable. You know he's going to cut inside so you cover the inside. If we buy Mahrez for the RW it's even more important we buy an attacking RB to take advantage of the space Mahrez will create by commiting players and coming inside. There has to be more variation and unpredictability in our play.

Velvet Revolver

There were people who actually went on that shit hard during past year or so.

He is garbage going forward and not particulary great defensively, he isnt, wasnt and never has been “the best right back in the league”.
For a period of time, he was a pretty good RB. He relied on pace and strength now that he is getting old he cannot do both. Well we all knew he was not that great at crossing even in his RW days.

VanHaal'sRedArmy

Interested in seeing how Florenzi fares in the CL semis against Mane and Salah; he could be the key to giving us the width on the right flank without losing the defensive stability that Valencia provides.

Seij

No it's not old fashioned at all. We've seen Man City this season playing right footed Sterling on the right and left footed Sane on the left. It's much more difficult for the defender to stop because the player can go outside or come inside. When you have a left footed player on the right it's easier to stop although there's nothing wrong with it of course. It's a lot more predictable. You know he's going to cut inside so you cover the inside. If we buy Mahrez for the RW it's even more important we buy an attacking RB to take advantage of the space Mahrez will create by commiting players and coming inside. There has to be more variation and unpredictability in our play.
I have a sneaky suspicion that if we somehow sign Mahrez (which I doubt we do given how many times we've passed up on him), we'll play him anywhere but in the right wing. Seems like Jose really likes rotating Mata and Lingard there.

Cheekiey

Willians not happening...

The best Right footed RW that is attainable is Felipe Anderson.

fight me.

ravi2

Mahrez seems an obvious answer to the right wing, one more season for Valencia rotating with fosu mensah then letting him take over. Unfortunately mahrez is more of a pep style player. I wouldn't mind zaha returning either at this point. When lukaku is our best crosser and right winger it's a clear glaring weakness.

Sessegnon would bring some excitement to the left too, isn't afraid to get forwards at all and would overlap. Could forge quite a partnership with Rashford (assuming martial is off, which I doubt)
We need to replace Valencia unless Jose buys a very attacking left back. The crosses into the box have to come from somewhere and Valencia cannot cross a ball to save his life these days

Micky Targaryen

I used to think that a lot when he was 'playing' for us.
Erm, not to derail the thread but I think you should check out all the Martial threads. Martial hasn't delivered even half of what Nani has given us, but it seems selling Martial will be the blunder of the century to most people.

Ban

Seriously tho, if we bought Perisic, our heat map would look so much different. You watch him way more then me but doubt he would go inside as much as Mata, leaving whole right side empty.
He's an out and out winger so he would definitely help.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Not to derail the conversation, but it feels more like Mata has been instructed to move centrally or towards the left, taking his marker with him leaving the right flank to Valencia to cross the ball. Now obviously this doesn't work as Valencia is a shit crosser

Mcking

I really won't mind if we sell Martial and replace him with Mahrez for an identical fee. Sanchez' presence in the team means Martial can hardly get a game, and both seems really poor when playing on the right. Replacing Martial with Mahrez will solve our right wing problem and the Martial-Sanchez dilemma too. Would be a win-win.

kbbear

Would love to see Tahith Chong given the chance on the left but patience isn’t Joses's thing.

Last edited by a moderator: